Not Enough Wilderness In Midwest To Support Bigfoot?

TedSallis

As thermal imaging comes down in price, most LEO will have them and we might be surprised what is out there roaming around in the dark. I live in NE Kansas and have been studying a couple of small groups that have carved out a living during the warmer months. Winter, I'm  not sure where they go but suspect cave systems up on the Missouri river.

I've doubts about Iowa, but can assure there simply isn't enough cover for a bigfoot or any other unknown animal to exist in Nebraska. It's simply too open. There's no place to make a home that isn't regularly traversed by humans.

I would not claim, nor accept a claim, that it IS existing there without a trace.  I have several people telling me about the traces they find on a reasonably regular basis.   Why does a track cast in Missouri or Nebraska not count the same as one for California or Washingon ... or Oklahoma or Florida?   Same for a road sighting, gifting, or any other claim?  Why is it believable in one spot but another beyond simple personal bias and questionable preconceived ideas?

MIB

For me, this is a good reason to doubt the evidence in California and Washington.

Guest Crowlogic

I would not claim, nor accept a claim, that it IS existing there without a trace.  I have several people telling me about the traces they find on a reasonably regular basis.   Why does a track cast in Missouri or Nebraska not count the same as one for California or Washingon ... or Oklahoma or Florida?   Same for a road sighting, gifting, or any other claim?  Why is it believable in one spot but another beyond simple personal bias and questionable preconceived ideas?

MIB

I should have qualified my position of that constitutes "a trace".  By this I mean a body or  unambiguous video or other hard evidence.  Tracks have been cast in many places and enough come into question to lower the ranking of where they contribute to real proof.  My demand of good evidence and proof is a lot higher than what many others are willing to accept.  However accepting the lesser evidence and proof hasn't given us a BF conclusion.

Guest Scout1959

The ABSOLUTELY only reason I suspect that BF is out there is due to sightings by people I have known.  All of which took place in the State of South Dakota.  The best one was in 1960 and others in the late 70's.

Though I will admit that after spending time reading some of the craziness here I have strongly started to think that somehow they were mistaken and that only crazy people believe in BF.

I was a member on the old forum and there were a couple of folks that used to post back then that shared their stories with me and I did believe them.  Neither of those folks are here any longer however.

As thermal imaging comes down in price, most LEO will have them and we might be surprised what is out there roaming around in the dark. I live in NE Kansas and have been studying a couple of small groups that have carved out a living during the warmer months. Winter, I'm  not sure where they go but suspect cave systems up on the Missouri river.

Yes, enough therms in the middle of a thick forest.  Point the darn things to clearings and potential travel routes...

I am convinced that a population of BF are turning from the hunter/gatherer to the reservation so to speak. Less hunting and more gathering is the only way I can see them carving out a niche closer to populations of Hss. The motivation may be infant survival  numbers.

The midwest is big and beyond the population centers sparsely populated.  BF could exist in many of it's areas.  But could it exist without a trace?  That is the question.  It's not like the Rockies or PNW where by virtue of the ruggedness of the terrain a species in limited numbers could exist.

There are traces. We've got plenty of sightings in Minnesota and Wisconsin, there is even video.

That, and I know of hundreds of acres of woodland, within 10 miles of where I sit, that hasn't seen a human footprint on it since the end of November.

Not to mention 1,090,000 acres of forested land in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area that has no roads and prohibits motorized vehicles.  Very few visitors venture away from the waterways and designated campsites.  And after all, we are the land of 10,000 lakes as well as the Mississippi, Red and Minnesota Rivers.  Is that enough water for ya?  Any noises campers may hear at night could be mistaken for deer, bear, moose, coyote or a wolf. 

As a life long resident of MN I have my theories about the lack of reported sightings here in general.  Although there have been a number of reports, as others may have mentioned, ridicule is a big deterrent.  In a state with a large population of Scandinavians who fear even the slightest attention being drawn to them and who go out of their way to blend into the wallpaper (or wood paneling), they are not very likely to talk about a bigfoot sighting. :biggrin:

Edited by coffee2go

If they have to make their living hunting it would make little sense for them to come to Kansas. What I go back to is the figure of 50%, that's the amount of food that get's thrown out in America. I find that astounding and suspect that BF do too.

• Upvote 1

When they show up in what seem to be unlikely places, I start looking on both sides for some reason they'd be passing through, maybe taking a brief layover, maybe making maximum speed.  Some people may have beliefs about it, but we really don't know how far they travel, how fast, or how often. 

MIB,

• Upvote 1

Plusses for the last 2 posts.

I think we can fairly safely assume that BF, like every other living creature, they are opportunistic.

People really fail to see some the opportunities that allow Sasquatch to exist.  For example native marsh grasses like my cattail marsh have 

tubers that are a very dense food source, even more so than corn.  So as others have suggested they ride the wave of nature and whatever

is at it's peak, an example easily noted is berries, but there are far less obvious possibilities.  I also have a heron rookery in my marsh with nearly 100 nests, the number of eggs available is tremendous, and no match for the smaller squatches to gather in the night, which might explain the ridiculous racket I hear at times. Smaller rodents are an obvious target, such as prolific marsh rats, and the usual(raccoon, possum, rabbit, skunks) fare. Selective harvesting of deer and coyotes is available, but geese are far more plentiful.  They are slow moving and I think easy enough to bat out of the air for a creature with the stealth to pop up towering over the marsh at just the right moment.  Or pick them off with a well thrown rock.  If they constantly were taking deer and coyotes to survive I think the evidence would be more obvious that they were present.  I think they will avoid doing that until desperate enough, or to fatten up for colder months.  They only need ample habitat to conceal and support them, and that is present in very many places across the Midwest, so I think there are small populations dotted across the area.  I theorize about 6-8 individuals(traveling in groups of 2-3) live in the 300 miles that surround Chicago, based on the locations and timing of the sightings, including sightings of 2 at one time.  So while being more isolated from their kind, I think they eek out an existence and periodically gather in larger groups for mating purposes, which explains why some areas have large numbers of sightings, disproportionate to the amount of cover, like Lasalle IL. and that whole area....something like what I have described is occurring, maybe at a smaller scale than I have suggested, or perhaps a larger scale. Meldrum and other western researchers fail at times to see the possibilities these creatures are exploiting.  Maybe they just do not want to think that they missed a creature that widespread, or admit to them being more numerous while certainly extremely rare,

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot
  • Upvote 1