Sightings Reports

hiflier
BFF Donor

Hello Trogluddite,

If you get that error message about file uploads all you have to do is place the data into a .zip file and you'll have no issues.

Trogluddite,

I am familiar with MS Access and use it at work, but don't have the MS Professional suite on my home computer. Thanks for the input. Just so everyone knows, I wasn't citicizing BFRO, just wondering if anyone else had noticed the same trend I had, and possibilities as to why.

Trogluddite
BFF Donor

^^^^^^

It was part of a student package we got cheap.  Of course, I'm still using the 2007 version because I'm cheap and I hate having to relearn everything I know how to do in a software program due to Microsoft sprinkling good idea fairy dust all over it.  I'm not criticizing BFRO either, just pointing out that relying on their map pins w/out double checking them might be misleading.  

Trogluddite
BFF Donor

Hello Trogluddite,

all you have to do is place the data into a .zip file and you'll have no issues.

Thanks .... of course, I just had to replace my monitor because it was covered in whiteout.....  technology is not my strong point....

hiflier
BFF Donor

Hello Troglussite,

LOL nor is it mine. Question for you. If the data you have could be extended into the Green Mountains say along the Long Trail and also into NH and ME along the Appalachian do you think it would plot roughly the same? Seems to me there is some data around about that somewhere.

Edited by hiflier

i haven't paid close attention in awhile, but i always thought i saw a correlation between the location of reports and the location of upcoming bfro expeditions.

I'll duck the question yet ask another.  :)

Look at BFRO's recent reports link.   Look at the location.   Most o' the population seems to think the Pac NW is "home of bigfoot" and is skeptical of reports from other areas, right?   Look how very few new reports come out of the Pac NW and how many are coming from the midwest and southeast..   

It doesn't look statistically right.   Makes me wonder if someone is holding back Pac NW data, not publishing the reports, etc.

MIB

I'm not ready to subscribe to that theory just yet. They have paid a lot of attention to the Midwest (mostly Illinois, Ohio) in the past. If they wanted to keep all of the "looky-loos" away, I don't think they would have drawn so much attention to those areas.

I agree, it is does seem very odd that there has been zero activity in CA for quite a long time. Considering that Northern CA is/was a sort of BHQ. Very few out of WA as well, until recently.

It could be that CA may figure heavily in the coming FB season and they are holding back reports to coincide with those episodes(?).

JiggyPotamus

I think you are on the right track by realizing there are many, many variables that are difficult to account for. As you mention, we don't really know if they process reports at the same rate throughout the year, or what percentage of reports they actually include to begin with. It is possible that people are faking encounters due to the popularity of the show, but I have always believed that the actual number of false reports is quite low. They exist, but I highly doubt they make up any significant percentage of the overall data set.

hiflier
BFF Donor

Hello All,

WRT California I also think it more than curious that there has been little if any reported activity as a result of the recent California Rim, and beyond, fires. Makes me wonder about large fires in Sasquatch habitats that do not flush the animals out in all directions. Are they being confused with bears? I imagine the ones on the firelines would be at even more risk than the fires themselves. I also don't know where or how to research for those answers........YET.

Edited by hiflier

Airdale

What argues against the "publicity hound" scenario in the majority of cases is the strong reluctance of reporters to disclose their names or exact locations, even when the report is fairly dated. Attention seekers always want their name attached to their exploits which leads me to take media hyped reports with a whole shaker of salt. I concur with the suggestion that new "Finding Bigfoot" episodes likely bring past events to mind and may result in an up-tick in reports. In my case it rekindled my adolescent interest in the subject and lead me to revisit two past incidents in a new light.

DWA

Here's the common-sense thing to do with this:

Ask yourself:  do I feel like filing a fake report?  How about my friends?  How about anybody they know?

Then say:  if there's any chance the animal's real at all, a common-sense way to look at this would be to assume that the exposure means more people know where to report now.

If we don't know what's causing the reports we don't know, any more than people who talk about Spiritual Bigfeet Saucer Pilots know about that.

The reports I am reading lately don't sound any different from any others I've read.  And to understand the true significance of that, one must read them, and leaven them with one's own experience.  If one hasn't read loads of reports, one really doesn't have standing to discuss them.

Lake County Bigfooot

I thing the obvious conclusion is that there has been a huge migration to the Midwest,  California and the West coast, just a bit too weird for even Sasquatch.  They had a powwow and all decided it was time.  They shook off the redwoods and rainforests and opted for corn and soybeans.  I think that they might prefer a mid western diet, not all that foo foo stuff.  Anyway I am glad for there arrival, I noticed mine were a bit tan, over cooked if you know what I mean, and I'm still trying to get them to speak with a more Midwestern dialect.  If they learn to hide their surf gear a bit better they may stand a chance, but that seems unlikely.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

DWA

I'll duck the question yet ask another.  :)

Look at BFRO's recent reports link.   Look at the location.   Most o' the population seems to think the Pac NW is "home of bigfoot" and is skeptical of reports from other areas, right?   Look how very few new reports come out of the Pac NW and how many are coming from the midwest and southeast..   

It doesn't look statistically right.   Makes me wonder if someone is holding back Pac NW data, not publishing the reports, etc.

MIB

People report when they report because people are who they are.

Folks in other areas are likely being encouraged to report because the show reveals to them that they might not be insane.  "Most of the population," remember, isn't vettng the reports.  The BFRO being what (people think) the BFRO can be sometimes, maybe some manipulation of what goes up when is happening.  That doesn't affect the authenticity of what's being submitted; and I'm just having my doubts these guys - or others - are just making all this up.

Theories? Opinions?

I can't say why the number of reports goes up, but I can tell you that all the bigfoot-related endeavors with which I'm associated see marked increases in web traffic when FB is showing new episodes. The number of people who go looking for this kind of info absent some kind of stimulus like FB is relatively pretty small. 

I remember during the Great Georgia Freezer Hoax that this site was totally nonfunctional from all the people suddenly interested in the subject. I had to turn off guest access and only allow registered members to see the site. The NAWAC website was also crushed under the weight. 

DWA

^^^One can easily locate the trash in this field:  it draws the most flies.