Sightings Reports

Trogluddite

Hello Troglussite,

LOL nor is it mine. Question for you. If the data you have could be extended into the Green Mountains say along the Long Trail and also into NH and ME along the Appalachian do you think it would plot roughly the same? Seems to me there is some data around about that somewhere.

Hiflier,

Sorry, didn't see this question earlier.  I realized around report #120 that I needed to include reports from contiguous areas of other states.  I'll take this one step at a time, which will be slower now (no furlough).  Right now I've gotten 420 reports.  Looks like the next set will come from the Pa Bigfoot Society (unless I can get into the NESRA website, which I'm having difficulties with.)  500 is my goal....

Edited by Trogluddite

If BFRO is hiding stuff or misleading, it would only match the general behavior of the commercial BF'ers, from what I've read on this site. They all want the next Patty film. And I think the $ and fame behind it. Problem with this attitude is that BF is going to be one or 2 steps ahead of the game.

hiflier

Hello WAG,

And the BF Community is left to fend for themselves with circular speculatory dialogues. It's why the JWG database has been issued in a format everyone can use. I saw fairly early on that the ones with the report data in bulk held it to themselves and only allow us to see it one report at a time. One of these days the light will go on and EVERYONE will fully understand and appreciate what John Green has done for us! THANK YOU JOHN!

Airdale

I'm seeing quite a few recent reports from Montana, two of the latest with good footprint photos, one only about 30 miles from my home. Also a report from 2010 north of the Helena Valley that indicated this has been a known hotspot for some time by the residents of the very rural area. One of my co-volunteers at the Montana Military Museum knew of some stories from some time ago near Wolf Creek in the same general area, including one from many years ago when the grandchildren of a man with N.A. ancestry showed him a small skull they had found partially buried in the hills on an adjoining ranch. He told them in no uncertain terms to return where they found it and re-bury it as it was the skull of a young "hairy man". He also knows of a couple who just purchased several acres in the vicinity to build their home just because of the historic and current activity reported.

While the total number of reports from Montana seems small, you need to take into account that we are the fourth largest state with over 147,000 square miles and our population just surpassed 1 million in the last few years. Even with the many tourists visiting, most go to well known areas such as Yellowstone, Glacier, Flathead Lake, Big Sky, Whitefish and the Bitterroot Valley. That leaves a vast amount of remote, rugged territory teaming with game but not people. Also, the reports I'm seeing are relatively current with the encounters, people aren't hanging on to them for years or decades before reporting.

Hammer102492

Sure, the TV show raises awareness.  Isn't that the point of it?  That's a good thing.

My sister in law used to goof around and talk about things being squatchy.  "It's a known fact..." she would say.   I'm like, "what are you talking about?"  We would be camping and she would say that she was afraid of squatches.  I thought she was serious, but then I found out later that she wasn't.  So that's how I learned about the show.  I checked it out a few times and thought that it was cool.  Just mostly thought about it in some remote areas of the USA. 

Then, in May this year, I saw something big hairy and black jump across the rural back road in front of me when I was taking pictures of some horses.  It wasn't a deer.   I was baffled and tried to come up with an answer in my mind as to what it was.  Then I got the chills and thought I might have seen a sasquatch.  I double checked myself and my senses, didn't know what else to do but move on down the road, get the heck out of there and immediately call my sister in law on the cell phone.  For the first 30 seconds, I could barely get it out of my mouth.  I was laughing because I was about to tell her, the only one I knew that said anything about squatch, that I just saw one in Ohio, right in front of me.  It was a moment that she can verify was a little large for me to comprehend.  She's like, "WHAT?!" 

So if it weren't for my sister-in-law seeing the show, I wouldn't have any answers right now.  I became aware of it after that and that's what started the "summer of squatch" for me with vocalizations, a flap of reports from here according to the BFRO investigators, and a sighting in our back yard. 

Then I found the BFF support group here. 

If it weren't for the TV show, and my sister-in-law....

I probably would have looked it up anyway and found the BFRO

But I knew what I saw from having probed the subject around a campfire the previous September. 

It's a known fact around here that BF exists in the Mohican Valley!