Bigfoot In Trees

Umm id just like to throw this out---

No one needs to worry about cougar attacks, unless cougars are native to the area you live in...(this applies to grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, etc etc ) Susi- I dont believe there are any in KY (cougars anyway- i know there are black bears) but again even if there were- you might go walking your entire life and never see one...

Same applies for other carnivores and BF... probly even X10 factor for BF....

Most animals (including scary carnivores) see humans as more of a threat than they are- and will turn tail and run at the sight of us. Sometimes bears will "woof" at you, even bluff charge- but there has to be a real good reason for them to actually attack you...

I dont claim to be a Daniel Boone type- but ive spent almost my entire youth,teenage years, and a good part of my adulthood in the woods here in upstate NY, and ive only seen bears a few times, lots of deer and other small critters.... There is absoulutely no need to be afraid to walk in the woods, and no need to arm yourself to the teeth when doing so.

I will admit that depending on the time of year, and where im going- i will sometimes slip a pistol in my pocket/backpack.... just in case. The only time i've ever been made to feel afraid by a carnivore- was at night, and by a pack of coyotes/coy-dogs who were running in the woods around myself and a friend and it became obvious as time went on (after we had switched directions several times) that they were hunting & herding us- possibly into an ambush... I'll never know because my friend hauled out his Colt 1911 .45 and started blasting away in the general direction of them.... nuff said they took off lickety split.

As far as BF goes- you need to be careful that you dont start seeing BF in every shadow, and thinking there's one lurking in the woods waiting for you... this will only make journies out into the wild into stressful nervous occasions that you will not enjoy, and it turns BF into the boogey man....

The chances are so slim of you having a sighting or encounter, that even if you WANT it to happen to you, you may go your entire life without achieving it.

If you stay home, or allow yourself to not enjoy spending time in nature, you are truly missing out on one of the better things in life.

Art

I truly don't know what kind of predators are native to Western Kentucky. When we hike I'm always with my one or more of my guys. I have never felt threatened. I was somewhat a little scared(okay, terrified) by mention of how certain animals attack, and I was a little(okay, a lot) frightened. I settled down quickly, and all is well. I happen to be a crack shot, and it was only recently that my oldest son, a 1st Lt. Army, was able to out shoot me. :wub:

I was so proud!

I, surprisingly, am calm during a crisis. I may cry after everything is over, but I respond well and appropriately in a crisis due to my nursing training and just my family heritage.

Art, You are a *sweetheart*, and if I were not married, I'd make a pass at you.. :wub:

Edited by Susiq2

Guest Tsalagi

I don't think BF's would frequent trees that often. I think many are assuming he is an ape. Actually I think there are two different creatures out there. Skunk Ape is some sort of escaped ape or monkey IMO so yeah he might go for the trees. But what I saw and call BF, and what Native people call BF, is some sort of prehistoric man-type creature. Have scientists ever stated that ancient man or neanderthals frequented trees? Creatures that big are not going to be nimble climbing though physically yeah they could probably hoist themselves up there. Since so very many BF sightings are in places that have mainly evergreen forests I'd say no to BF being a frequent climber because it would be stupid on his part since evergreens afford little in the way of hiding compared to hardwood trees. Its too much of a risk that they would be spotted especially if their heavy weight starts to cause a limb to snap. The noise would give them away and its pretty obvious they take great pains in keeping out of sight.

So a few supposed BF's were spotted in trees on thermals and by people...do we know 100% sure what they saw were BF's or was it a bear? I tend to think it was a bear.

Guest Lesmore

The scat looked to be a day or two old when I found it (WAG here).... still quite soft. It was dried on the outside and was very dark maroon in color. It was made up entirely of Hackberrys. There was another pile about 75 feet down the single lane dirt field road that was the same size and amount. One individual stopped twice would be my guess. I posted the pic because whoever left the scat climbed a Hackberry tree to get that much of the fruit, as it stays on the tree through the winter.

post-9-065318400 1301437259_thumb.jpgpost-9-025769900 1301437804_thumb.jpg

Nice photo's, but one thing I would advise. If you could put a coin or some other commonly recognized item (Bic Pen, etc.) that would give us a sense of scale, to determine approximate size.

Some may say that the berries themselves could provide a sense of proportion, but there a number of people who are not familiar with this fruit.

A second item, commonly known (as to size) would clarify...and reinforce scale, in addition to the berry.

Edited by Lesmore

SSR Team

My point is, that if bigfoot was avoiding large plains dwelling predators, during the last ice age, there were no trees to climb. So why would they adapt to tree climbing?

Because they've adapted to conditions since the last Ice Age ??

Non one's saying they use Tree's regulary Drew or dwell in them, but i'd be amazed if the NEVER used them..

I am much more attentive to accidentally walking up on humans who don't want to be bothered, rather than worrying about walking upon a dangerous animal.

A Meth lab in the woods is documented many times more often than a Bigfoot or a Cougar east of the Mississippi.

Guest Tsalagi

I am much more attentive to accidentally walking up on humans who don't want to be bothered, rather than worrying about walking upon a dangerous animal.

A Meth lab in the woods is documented many times more often than a Bigfoot or a Cougar east of the Mississippi.

That and marijuana plantations staffed by armed illegals working for the drug cartel. There's a lot of reports of that in the Appalachian Mtns along with the meth labs. Maybe if we are lucky BF will kick their butts for ruining his forest!

Nice photo's, but one thing I would advise. If you could put a coin or some other commonly recognized item (Bic Pen, etc.) that would give us a sense of scale, to determine approximate size.

Some may say that the berries themselves could provide a sense of proportion, but there a number of people who are not familiar with this fruit.

A second item, commonly known (as to size) would clarify...and reinforce scale, in addition to the berry.

I am answering an inquiry about an earlier photo, this is a close-up.

See post#6

• 4 weeks later...
SSR Team

I read a Report last night, although not www. based, that had a Guy in NorCal, a Hunter, who found an incredibly big Pile of Scat like nothing he had ever seen before ( he said not Bear, & MUCH bigger anyway ) that had leafy material & Bones in it & worked out that it came from above, from a Tree he was standing under which was a huge Douglas Fir..

Anyway's, he got to the Tree via a Game Trail that had a clearing height of around 8ft which he also found very unusual & belived that something was living in that huge Tree & doing it's Business down to the Ground, from the Tree..

Just thought i'd share anyway..

Guest tracker

I read a Report last night, although not www. based, that had a Guy in NorCal, a Hunter, who found an incredibly big Pile of Scat like nothing he had ever seen before ( he said not Bear, & MUCH bigger anyway ) that had leafy material & Bones in it & worked out that it came from above, from a Tree he was standing under which was a huge Douglas Fir..

Anyway's, he got to the Tree via a Game Trail that had a clearing height of around 8ft which he also found very unusual & belived that something was living in that huge Tree & doing it's Business down to the Ground, from the Tree..

Just thought i'd share anyway..

Hey Bob,

Living and hiding in huge tree's by day foraging/hunting at night, that makes a lot of sense to me. If I was still out on the west coast i would use the trees as well. In the east the tress don't get that big and are brittle when they get too big and old. Anyways we can't gain or keep up to them when they are on the move on the ground. So using a tree to observe after you find fresh tracks is sound logic. The only draw backs are it's even harder to spot them unless their right below you. And hopefully they don't climb up the same tree as the one your in. :o

I am still questioning why an elusive creature, that has no problem escaping from humans, and by extrapolation, if they can avoid cunning humans, they can certainly avoid bears, so why does such an elusive creature need to go into trees? A creature who hides in trees has no escape, and I guarantee someone hunting raccoons with dogs, or hunting cougar with dogs, would end up treeing a Bigfoot, and the case would have been settled long ago.

No, if Bigfoot hides in trees, it would have been discovered long ago.

SSR Team

I am still questioning why an elusive creature, that has no problem escaping from humans, and by extrapolation, if they can avoid cunning humans, they can certainly avoid bears, so why does such an elusive creature need to go into trees? A creature who hides in trees has no escape, and I guarantee someone hunting raccoons with dogs, or hunting cougar with dogs, would end up treeing a Bigfoot, and the case would have been settled long ago.

1 ) I'm not sure if it " needs " to go into Tree's, but if they did then i'd understand it as i've seen the size of the Tree's in the PNW & there isn't much competition or problems up in them, i'm pretty sure of that..

2 ) Hunters ?? Dogs ?? I'm not sure that with regards to the hundreds of Reports i've read where Dogs have been involved in BF Sightings, if those Dogs would have helped in making the Discovery of the Animal long ago, like you say..How you can gurantee that, not just think it but GURANTEE it, based on Reports like this, is something i don't understand in the slightest.

==================

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7971

My dogs were on my leash and were whimpering. Now these weren't just any dogs. These were UKC Lipper bred Walkers, they probably weighed in at close to a 100lbs.They would could rip a 20lb **** apart. Yet there they were cowardly crouched behind my legs whimpering. I knew I had seen them tear coyotes to shreads that had tried to come into a tree where they were treeing. I couldn't understand it.

=================

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1063

The witness further stated that one of the men “took it upon himself to shoot the thing.†So, with a .22 rifle, the man fired at least two rounds into the tree at the unidentified creature. With that, the animal became even more violent and louder. The hunting party, along with the dogs, immediately fled the scene, retreating back to the safety of their vehicles. Once there, the men decided not to speak of the incident, since they were unsure of what they had encountered. The men surmised that the little beagle had gone through a fence, and in the process had split open his abdominal section. The dog had been seriously injured, but did manage to survive the incident.

I asked the witness if he had any idea what it was that he, his hunting partners, the **** dogs and the little beagle had encountered that cold, autumn night in 1963. The witness stated that there was no explanation for the creature, and that the men saw what they saw. It was clearly a “huge, hairy thing†high up in the pin oak.

Bigfoot/Sasquatch was discovered long ago.

Bigfoot/Sasquatch was discovered long ago.

What year would that discovery have taken place?

You could simply provide the Linnaean name and year of naming to me, and that would suffice.

• 3 years later...

I am not certain how they mount the trees but they certainly in Michigan. Somebody was implying trees in warm summer times and caves, pits and cutouts in times of cold inclement weather … Any comments?