Bigfoot In Trees

I think adults would encourage young to climb to avoid danger. This may carry over to adolescents and young adults but as BF mature and get bigger they would need some sizable trees to support their weight.

This doesn't mean an adult couldn't but their options are limited. It might make sense for an adult to have a favorite tree they use as a lookout (sight, hearing, and smell) particularly if humans also frequent the area.

In regards to their actual climbing of trees, one might well imagine a technique similar to the pacific islanders means of ascending coconut palms, only with the added advantages of longer arms, more flexible feet(with"active"toes), bigger hands, and seemingly tremendous upper body strength, all of which would better enable the behavior.

An earlier post mentioned the aspect of weight distribution to offset body mass/branch capacity issues, which makes perfect sense, especially in light that these creatures are climbing virtually all of their lives, so they probably have a pretty good idea of how not to break a tree, or at least how to choose the ones least apt to break under their weight.

Some have discredited the idea of the big furries using trees for refuge, escape pathways, hunting and such based on the idea that since they are apex predators of great strength, considerable speed, and an overall hugeness, they have no need for such additional behaviors or abilities. Presuming a cognitive intelligence, they would surely recognize the benefits of additional options of recourse within a given environment,contributing to their versitily and capacity to respond to whatever situation may arise.

To state that "if they climbed trees we would already have a type specimen" is evidence of limited consideration, for it is those creatures with limited evasion behavior options that prove most predictable, and therefore easier to capture or document, rather than sentiently adaptive creatures with a greater number of options from which to CHOOSE their responses, thus enhancing their ability to function effectively within their environment and evade predations.

• Upvote 1

Well I am under the persuasion that in spite of their immense girth and weight they do climb trees and do so very well apparently. In what may be only described as marvels of science or nature describing or explaining how it is done without more trees broken and crippled. Then again, there are lots of tree top breaks where no other viable explanation is possible. IMHO

Tree tops snapped and twisted saplings where there are no other damages, where there were twisters or sleeting ice storms makes it a bit obvious. Around here tornados do occur but not often and they do the damage is centralized. We do have our fair share of heavy snow at times and ice storms like nobody’s business but again, you (me, they, and some) know the difference weather damage and damage that is oddly localized.   

No doubt in my mind that trees are used. At first as a kind of "nursery" or "kid corral" but here in coastal SC the trees offer a better vantage point to hunt, navigate or avoid mosquitoes and venomous snakes in the swamps.

Whether treetop damage is caused by wind, parasite, the rare arboreal beavers of the upper canopy, sasquatch, or those dang neighbor kids doesnt bear determnate weight on the matter of the big guys climbing trees. Its not like they leave much conclusive evidence of their presence or utilization of resources in most or any of their other behavioral/habitat use aspects for us to find.

What year would that discovery have taken place?

You could simply provide the Linnaean name and year of naming to me, and that would suffice.

Maybe it was named by Linnaeus himself, Homo Troglodytes. .. there has been a lot of argument over his intent, some contending it was an intent to classify human "savages" as subhuman, thus racially motivated.

Guest sixxgunner

This is an interesting discussion. I grew up on Northern and Southeast Ohio. Some of these areas a very dense with trees, but I never thought to look up, as discussed. Thanks!

I think the substantial weight of a Sasquatch is a consideration but not a limitation. Juveniles may climb smaller trees and adults simply climb larger trees. Most mature tree branches can bear tremendous weight, especially close to the trunk. Naturally, the further away from the trunk, the more unstable it becomes and I would imagine a seasoned Sasquatch would know better than to venture out far away from the trunk.

Regardless, it stands to reason they would be arboreal as it provides a substantial tactical advantage, both in hunting and in observation. Many hunters like to be up high, for similar reasons.

I think the substantial weight of a Sasquatch is a consideration but not a limitation. Juveniles may climb smaller trees and adults simply climb larger trees. Most mature tree branches can bear tremendous weight, especially close to the trunk. Naturally, the further away from the trunk, the more unstable it becomes and I would imagine a seasoned Sasquatch would know better than to venture out far away from the trunk.

Regardless, it stands to reason they would be arboreal as it provides a substantial tactical advantage, both in hunting and in observation. Many hunters like to be up high, for similar reasons.

I’ve got a photo from a friend out in Texas who snapped a photo of a big Bigfoot type creature perched way up high in a tall Yosemite Pine that he feels was acting as a sentinel.  He snapped the photo from a distance and tree sits at base of a forest overlooking the two track approach enabling it to see anyone from a distance before being spotted. Even at that distance the thing looks massive but there it is high in tree defying all laws of gravity …. I can only describe it because as I stated, it was taken by a friend and he asked that I not show it without permission and I have honored his wishes.  That’s what friends do. But to your point, as incredible as it may sound they do crawl up those trees and seem to use them to their advantage.

Edited by Gumshoeye

I have always thought that heavy tree cover or heck sparse tree cover for that matter is a great place for a capable being to suddenly jump, climb, HUG, and blend in. Voila! A Houdini special #3. Bigfoot have always been known to be able to open up a "big can of gone". And honestly, when people are out and about, rarely do they look "^" up.

I kinda chuckle at the idea that if you find one treed, it's trapped.... 

No, you just found one with a height advantage and a buttload of potential energy, oh, and quite a lot of ammunition if it starts snapping off branches... 

I have always thought that heavy tree cover or heck sparse tree cover for that matter is a great place for a capable being to suddenly jump, climb, HUG, and blend in. Voila! A Houdini special #3. Bigfoot have always been known to be able to open up a "big can of gone". And honestly, when people are out and about, rarely do they look "^" up.

Good post Spader, I agree …

• 1 month later...

There are many examples of sasquatches seen in trees, and not just juveniles.  Full grown adults climb trees and scale sheer cliffs.  They are athletes.  I agree with spader that often times people don't look up when in the forest.  Here's a video of one that might possibly be up in a tree.

Edited by jayjeti