Parabolic Sonic Ears? What Do You Use?

If anything you would think that something like that would scare off a sasquatch.

They see satellite dishes sitting around everywhere. They see all kinds of things associated with humans where ever they may choose to go. I don't see them having a problem unless they see you chucking it at them in anger? ;)

I've even heard of some people buildiing the mic mount on an adjustable slide mechanism, so that while you have the unit operating, you put a pair of headphones on, then pick an object to point at. Then they will slowly adjust the mic (pointing into the dish center) in closer until the audio begins to diminish, and then work it back out until it does the same. Then by slowly working it back in, you can find that sweet spot where you're getting maximum reflection of the sound waves into the microphone element.

Yep, good info GII, I'll also add that different frequncies have different sized sound waves and with this comes a different focal point (sweet spot)within the dish. So you are tuning the dish to a range of frequencies you want to amplify. The samller dishes will generally amplify higher frequencies and conversly for lower frequencies.

Hey Stan, you ever price those Telingas and Sound Devices F. R's??? Big bucks!! Too steep for my budget...But I owe pretty much everything I know about recording wildlife, to you. Thanks for the hours and most of all, sharing!

The Telinga I use was $2,000 and the Sound Devices 722 was around $2600.

As far as parabolics with amplifiers goes, it is not necessary to amplify any sound in the field, after all that is what a computer is for, all digital you know.  

They see satellite dishes sitting around everywhere. They see all kinds of things associated with humans where ever they may choose to go. I don't see them having a problem unless they see you chucking it at them in anger? ;)

Could be, though if I were a sasquatch I would keep as far away from human activity as possible.

The Telinga I use was $2,000 and the Sound Devices 722 was around $2600.

As far as parabolics with amplifiers goes, it is not necessary to amplify any sound in the field, after all that is what a computer is for, all digital you know.  

Are you saying the $2,000 Telinga isn't necessary Stan? The dish itself is an amplifier or acoustic compensator.

I tend to agree with what this link on Telinga microphones says below.

http://www.telinga.co.uk/

Why Telinga Microphones make sense for the wildlife recordist 

Telinga is one of the very few companies in the world focusing on equipment for the wildlife recordist. Recording outdoors, where the wanted sounds are often weak and distant, and the environmental conditions - such as wind, rain and traffic noise - are out of control, means very different priorities than for a studio microphone.

For wildlife recording factors such as the max sound pressure level and immunity to induced electrical noise are less significant. Most of all, our focus on wildlife recording has had a strong impact on our measuring techniques: The standard techniques normally used in the studio situation have proved not to be relevant.

"Musts" for wildlife recording:

1 - Very good handling and wind noise performance,

2 - very low inherent noise,

3 - acoustical compensation for distance,

4 - resistance to moist and temperature changes,

5 - very easy to pack up, transport and use.

The Telinga approach:

image075.gif

For Telinga The Ultimate perfection means:- 

When the object under test, in this true-to-life situation, reproduces the same sound spectrum as the reference microphone that is placed close to the source.

No, of course not, I use the Telinga 24/7.   I'm talking about the electronic amplifiers used in the cheap products.  

• 2 years later...

We use the recorder drop method, but I am thinking of designing a pair of parabolic microphones that can be mounted on an adjustable pole that can be affixed to my camper. I have been searching for any information on using the 18" older style satellite dishes, not the newer oval offset dishes. The older dishes were round but I cannot find any info on whether or not they will work or not. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

We use the recorder drop method, but I am thinking of designing a pair of parabolic microphones that can be mounted on an adjustable pole that can be affixed to my camper. I have been searching for any information on using the 18" older style satellite dishes, not the newer oval offset dishes. The older dishes were round but I cannot find any info on whether or not they will work or not. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of years ago I did find information on using the oval dishes for parabolic reflectors. The focal point is different than for the round ones, but that should be of no consequence to performance. The dishes are fairly heavy, but you should be able to mount one on your camper. I tried to use one as a mould for a paper mache version, but paper mache wrinkles when it dries, so gave up on the project. Better to buy one from a scientific store I think.

IMO the best of the Best is the Telinga, the choice of professional wildlife recorders, particularly birds. Pricey stuff at over 2 grand though, and with a quality recorder, VERY expensive. I checked Ebay for many years and finally got lucky, but still paid $600, which is a steal. I found my Sound Devices model 702 the same way, and now have a fantastic rig, but still $1,800 for the 2 items. This is the best set up I've seen or heard, simply amazing, and should be on any footers wish list........keep looking, and you will find deals, they're out there waiting:)

Picture with a good sized Wolf for comparrison.

post-193-0-99858200-1455556310_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

When I'm out hunting I have enough to carry without a parabolic mic. My technique is very simple for directionality and amplification. It doesn't record but then it doesn't cost anything either. Just cup your hands around your ears. You can pick up faint noises and pinpoint them fairly easy. It's how I locate elk in the timber or anything else for that matter. :)