The Upside Down Tree

Guest poignant

I couldn't either....

"I'm stumped"

He was sad for being the buttress of many unkind jokes.

The "buttress"? LOL is that a real word? It is actually a grand lawn ornament tho.....I love what the one guy did with the flower arrangement too!

I can't say I've had trees upturned as the pics show, however I have found small trees up rooted and left laying around. It would certainly take more than one animal to upturn a tree, just doesn't seem feasable

The "buttress"? LOL is that a real word? It is actually a grand lawn ornament tho.....I love what the one guy did with the flower arrangement too!

Yes it is a real word. Typically it's related to engineering. Buttress's are used to support walls, columns etc.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
To remove double quote box

Guest MikeG

Seriously cool photo! :biggrin:

Just up the road from me. It is inter-tidal, meaning the archaeologists only have a few hours a day to work on it before it gets submerged again. The main (upside-down) tree is huge. Enormous. It must have been a hell of an effort to build using ropes and rollers only.

-

I am curious how deep the purported BF-related upside-down trees are planted. Anyone know?

Mike

Guest poignant

Yes it is a real word. Typically it's related to engineering. Buttress's are used to support walls, columns etc.

There's another use for the word, which is in describing tree roots.

I make arboreal joke.

Just up the road from me. It is inter-tidal, meaning the archaeologists only have a few hours a day to work on it before it gets submerged again. The main (upside-down) tree is huge. Enormous. It must have been a hell of an effort to build using ropes and rollers only.

-

I am curious how deep the purported BF-related upside-down trees are planted. Anyone know?

Mike

The articles I've read say they are pounded 6-8 ft into the ground

• 5 months later...

I have only seen one upside down tree that might be BF related in my life. It was a fresh Douglas Fir between 15 and 20 feet tall next to a small creek. There was no evidence of heavy equipment or anything else in the area. And it was close to the area where we got the BF recording, freight train thru the woods, and found an abandoned vehicle and camp. We didn't pay much attention to it because we had never seen anything like it. Then when we saw it on that show we asked eachother do you remember that upside tree we saw. It makes us wonder if it was a BF or not.

I'm baffled and fascinated at the same time over these phenomenon. In today's world there is equipment capable of digging a small diameter hole 8' or so deep and then inserting the inverted trunk into it.......initially there would be evidence of the method used, but after a season of rain and settlement it would be anyone's guess......early specimens, 1800's-early 1900's would be harder to explain as such equipment wasn't readily available to loggers in general and the phenomenon hadn't been publicized as a sasquatch antic so the motive to hoax wasn't there.

next day there was a dead bird bones picked and pilled on a small stump dont know any other aniaml that would pile the bones

Two possibles, Coyotes will crap on stumps for territory marking, so bones were in poop and rest washed away. Similarly, owl or raptor pellets may contain small bird bones, and when they've been a little weathered and broke open, they'll just look like a pile of bones... particularly if the bird's favorite roost is above the stump and several were dropped there.... alternatively you could have had a bird die on the stump, and insects pick it clean.

What if you find three different stumps, each with three bones on it that wasn't from coyote scat, an owl pellet, or dead bird?

Piles of fresh water mussel shells have been found along lakes in Texas for instance. I can't remember the exact location but it seems like it was near Tyler, TX.

Anyone remember?