Does Bigfoot Exist?

It's a question most in the bigfoot community don't even bother to debate, it's just unequivocally assumed that they do exist.

Of course, we will never know for sure until we have recovered a specimen, but a great deal of speculation (including everything on this thread) has arisen among both proponents and detractors alike. Could bigfoot exist is no longer the question. There is enough forest in British Columbia to conceal an entire population of sasquatch. 

With recent DNA studies and a $10,000,000 reward for proof, we may well be closing in on bigfoot. But until it is proven undoubtedly to exist, we will remain engaged in speculation.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether or not they exist. So what's really going on?

Staff statement: I'm approving this topic for the time being; although, there is a huge potential for it to turn into a war zone between skeptics and proponents. If there is any civility issues whatsoever, I will close it. Carry on......

Guest zenmonkey

My personal take My education says its very highly plausible, my logic says ehhh its possible, some of the experiences I've had leave me scratching my head saying "I dunno what that was but it had to be a non human primate" So at that I have to say I don't know but i lean very highly on the possible side!

Guest OntarioSquatch

I guess it's really a matter of opinion and opinions are going vary a great deal. In all honesty I believe it's incredibly unlikely for Bigfoot to exist, but it's still in the realm of possibility. 

Hello BadVooDoo,

I know what you mean. Kinda like a dream come true isn't it? I mean how pure can a thread possibly be? It should be limited to one word answers IYAM.

It's a question most in the bigfoot community don't even bother to debate, it's just unequivocally assumed that they do exist.

Of course, we will never know for sure until we have recovered a specimen, but a great deal of speculation (including everything on this thread) has arisen among both proponents and detractors alike. Could bigfoot exist is no longer the question. There is enough forest in British Columbia to conceal an entire population of sasquatch. 

With recent DNA studies and a $10,000,000 reward for proof, we may well be closing in on bigfoot. But until it is proven undoubtedly to exist, we will remain engaged in speculation.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether or not they exist. So what's really going on?

Pretty much wrong across the board.

1) There are MANY people active in the BF community who not only do not assume they exist, but are quite certain they do not.  Why those people participate, I don't know, I don't need to be saved from my misguided experiences, but there they are, so ... wrong.

2) You say we'll never know without a specimen.   Also wrong.  You may not know, but I know.  I've seen one, close enough, long enough, that I DO know.    I don't have the Liberty Bell but I saw it and I know it exists.  It's exactly the same situation.   It may not suit your purposes.  It suits mine.

3) As above, you might be engaged in speculation.  I am not.   I saw.  I know.  Nothing you can say changes that.

4) Could bigfoot exist is not a meaningful question.   I have seen.  Bigfoot does exist .. whether they can or not.  The disbeliever logic is irrelevant to me since existence has been demonstrated to my satisfaction.  

5) Their existence is no longer an interesting discussion to me.  What I find interesting is figuring out what they are in all the things that can mean.  

How's your math ... geometry?   You and I are not merely at opposite ends of the same line, we are on skewed lines that do not intersect.  We don't agree what the discussion is about.   The discussion you are trying to frame is years in my past, I've moved on. 

Finally, I do not know with personal certainty that it is in our best interest or theirs to prove their existence.   It certainly satisfies our personal curiosity, but at what cost?   Many of us struggle with that question and we each have to find our own answer.   I'd say the bulk of the people here feel it is worthwhile.   I don't have enough information to make my choice.   When/if I know enough about them, then I'll know what the cost of sharing is.   That's not a choice anyone has any influence on, it's a conversation between me and my conscience. 

I hope this makes some sense. 

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think JP is asking a good question. In fact I would rather spend time reading a discussion on this than most other threads, but if it's just going to be about personal experiences and one word responses, I won't bother.

Pretty much wrong across the board.

1) There are MANY people active in the BF community who not only do not assume they exist, but are quite certain they do not.  Why those people participate, I don't know, I don't need to be saved from my misguided experiences, but there they are, so ... wrong.

2) You say we'll never know without a specimen.   Also wrong.  You may not know, but I know.  I've seen one, close enough, long enough, that I DO know.    I don't have the Liberty Bell but I saw it and I know it exists.  It's exactly the same situation.   It may not suit your purposes.  It suits mine.

3) As above, you might be engaged in speculation.  I am not.   I saw.  I know.  Nothing you can say changes that.

4) Could bigfoot exist is not a meaningful question.   I have seen.  Bigfoot does exist .. whether they can or not.  The disbeliever logic is irrelevant to me since existence has been demonstrated to my satisfaction.  

5) Their existence is no longer an interesting discussion to me.  What I find interesting is figuring out what they are in all the things that can mean.  

How's your math ... geometry?   You and I are not merely at opposite ends of the same line, we are on skewed lines that do not intersect.  We don't agree what the discussion is about.   The discussion you are trying to frame is years in my past, I've moved on. 

Finally, I do not know with personal certainty that it is in our best interest or theirs to prove their existence.   It certainly satisfies our personal curiosity, but at what cost?   Many of us struggle with that question and we each have to find our own answer.   I'd say the bulk of the people here feel it is worthwhile.   I don't have enough information to make my choice.   When/if I know enough about them, then I'll know what the cost of sharing is.   That's not a choice anyone has any influence on, it's a conversation between me and my conscience. 

I hope this makes some sense. 

MIB

You see, that's fine and all, but you're talking about subjective experience.

Although I'm by no means denying what you saw, simply saying "I know what I saw" doesn't cut it for 99% of the world who haven't seen one. 

Guest guillaume

I think bigfoot is a myth, and I participate because I find the topic interesting.  The fact that people can be passionate about bigfoot is fascinating in itself.  I'm not interested in changing anyone's belief, but I would like to contribute to a clearer understanding of skepticism and science if I can.