What Do Friends/ Family Think About You& Bf ?

Doc Holliday

Guest SnoTraveler

I am very interested in the subject of BF, a fence sitter completely with regards to my belief. My wife thinks my interest is "cute", very few other people know of my interest in the subject. Anyone I have spoken with in my circle of friends, I have done so with great caution. I ask my hunting friends "what is the most unusual thing you have seen in the woods". I have gotten some very, very interesting answers without the actual word "bigfoot" coming up. I try not to lead them. I spend a lot of time outdoors, I snowmobile a lot, the NEK of Vermont, northern NH, Maine. I casually look for trackways, etc. up there. I vacation in CO, I am a narrow gauge RR buff, I have studied the woods and mountains on my visits. I do not, however go on expeditions or active searches, I am merely interested in the subject. I would never mention it to co-workers or casual friends.

Guest vilnoori

Mostly they roll their eyes if the issue comes up. I don't bother extending any discussion with them on the topic unless there is a potential witness report coming from someone at the time, in which I indicate open-mindedness and want to hear about it. Sometimes I tell scary stories to the young-uns. Sometimes I get a smack for it for scaring them before bedtime. Naughty mommy.

What do friends and family think? Depends on which ones I guess. Close fam like wife/kids and parents all pretty much believe in bf existence but living here in the great pnw how else could you believe?

Grandparents laugh. They took photos of the Bossburg cripple (Bossburg is about 20 miles from here) and so on over the years but they never did believe they just thought it was fun.

I have talked to lots of people that have seen tracks taken pictures of tracks, even one guy I talked to on his cell WHILE he was following a fresh set of tracks in the snow for miles last winter. While he was following them he just kept saying "I don't know whats making these tracks but its huge" he was in waist deep snow at the time and had to turn back finally but he doesn't believe in bf he just keeps saying "don't know what it was" My wife and kids have seen enough to make their on conclusions. I talk about going out big foot huntin in front of anybody like I talk about stopping by the store to grab some milk. In fact it throws me off a bit when someone questions it.("You do what for fun?")

I just got a pull camper a few days ago and as I was talking about it the sellers other half said "did you say you are looking for Bigfoot?" I told her yes.

Most times they just want to either hear more, or tell us a story of when they saw one or tracks or something of that nature.

I have a few friends that know, one even wanted to go huntin with me but by the time we got out to where we needed to be he wanted to come back to town as he was bored.

So like I said wife and our daughter when her job permits and our son stays home but he will record any show about bf for me.

He is really more of an indoorsy sort you might say.

S

Seeing as how i live in Los Angeles county and people around here think the woods is at the city park, their attitudes are more apt to be laugh first, then when they realize i am dead serioes about believing then they mostly think i am either wasting time or an idiot....some will ask a question or two but they mostly like the jack links commercials, they think of it as a joke

• 2 weeks later...

My immediate family says nothing derogatory about my beliefs because many of them have experienced the same things.

Most of my friends just laugh and then move on to another subject.

Close fam like wife/kids and parents all pretty much believe in bf existence but living here in the great pnw how else could you believe?
~Sam

I kinda laughed at that because even if someone doesn't personally believe they seem to know a friend of a friend that saw one. Or there was that one time something happened. Or those tracks they found.

It's friggin amazing to me how MANY people here have personal first hand knowledge of the fatboy...in a lot of cases it's like no big deal. Like "Well I guess I'll go fish a couple more miles down the road instead of HERE, then." Other people I have talked to seem more freaked out. One dead giveaway is hearing the phrase "A bear or something".

My family knows that I enjoy going outside and doing outside things....so what I do isn't specifically 'research' it's just doing that with a camera. I'd be out there anyway. :P

I've taken some guff at work about my hobby, but I've also heard a lot of really cool stories because I'm open in my interest about it. Guess I'm lucky to live in such a "target rich" environment. I doubt I'd get the same reactions if I lived in NYC or someplace like that.

The only person I have ever told about bigfoot whose reaction was incredulous and said, "don't get involved with those people," was a fellow who had a personal connection to what he thought was a well known hoax. It was called the Sykesville Monster. His recollection was that some of his high school friends were chewed out by the Sheriff for faking prints or something. Most likely, his friends DID fake prints, and the Sheriff was angry about it because his deputies were trying to hunt down the monster. In the end, the activity just sort of tapered off.

BTW, there is a YouTube video consisting of photos of a footprint, taken recently near the Sykesville area.

I also got an opportunity to meet Bob Chance. He was hot on the trail of a bigfoot troop moving about in eastern Maryland during the 70's and early 80's. I wanted to meet him because I was investigating the areas he used to investigate, and was finding some recent, possible bigfoot sign. Mr. Chance has some really good stories, witness reports, and castings. He was a biologist, and really was hot on their trail. He identified their food sources and behaviors. Unfortunately, just as he was getting familiar with these creatures, they seemed to have left the area. Possibly, he was too close for their comfort.

Anyway, some of Mr. Chance's family and friends were there when I approached him. It was very evident that they either thought bigfoot was a joke, or were placating him.

Mr. Chance did write a book about his naturalist activities (there is one chapter devoted to bigfoot). John Green wrote the foreword, and has apparently been hoping that Mr. Chance would write a book about the Maryland bigfoot activity. I hope Mr. Chance can write that book too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Filtereyez

My father is my research partner, my children think it is way cool and are little researchers in the making. The wife is open minded and thankful and says there are far worse things in this world I could be doing. As far as friends go, they all know my interest in the subject and many come along for the ride. We have been at this long enough and made our presence known for quite some time that even the community and the communities within our research areas know of us, some think it is cool and others shake their heads and smile but in the end........if they ever have a siting they know who to call :)

Filtereyez

Guest Kerchak

Most of the people I have talked to are pretty open-minded about it.

Same here, especially after discussing what 'bigfoot' might actually be.

Most of the people I know either have a belief or are openminded about at least one of the follow: God, ghosts, UFOs, clairvoyency, ESP, cryto animals.

Seen from the point of view of that list, bigfoot is not so much an outlandish concept.

I know very few people who are totally closeminded and scoftical about everything and when I explain 'bigfoot' to them they actually come around to the idea of the 'possibility' at least.

My Wife thinks it kind of dumb but at the same time she accepts that it is as much a part of me as anything else I do. Plus she is kind of coming around as lately met a lot of people with similar feelings to me.

• masterbarber locked this topic