Camera Placement And Choices

Guest ajciani

Guest VaBigfoot

I think most day/night cameras would still determine that they need to use the IR flash. The LEDs emit VISIBLE light, which is the give away. They are VERY noticeable in a dark environment.

I also noticed that some cameras even have a red or green LED which blinks whenever it detects movement. Depending on the camera, a person could easily map out the perimeter of the detector sensitivity, without ever getting a picture taken.

I have suggested that people use external illumination. If you were going to monitor the area around a house, I would put up a string or red X-mas light (after using a camera to make sure the IR is not blocked by the color). Red lights don't look particularly bright, but they should throw out the IR, as if they were clear white.

Good catch Bill. Yes, IR will be focused on the retina, and will be absorbed by it. Not as strongly as visible light, but potentially strong enough. On top of that, your iris will not respond to it. So if you look at an unfiltered Q-Beam, it's bright, so your iris constricts and saves your eye. If you look at a filtered Q-Beam, it LOOKS dim, so your iris stays wide open, and your eye gets burned.

If going the Q-Beam route, use it as an IR thrower for when you are using your camp fire and yourselves as bait. The biggies might unknowingly come into Q-Beam range, and become plainly visible on an image intensifier or IR modified camera.

Ditto. Again. People get confused, because IR illumination and heat are both called IR.

Great to hear about your improved EyeGotcha system. I liked the idea of the original system too. A lot of DVR security recorders can be set to record video only when something is moving in the camera, but there are very few (or none) that can do so onto an SD card, silently, and on battery. Your new system sounds a lot like a game camera, that can be broken down and setup in pieces, so it can be more covert and doesn't look like a camera. Will it be color, IR, or color with IR sensitivity?

AJCIANI,

The EyeGotcha system has three basic parts, the controller, camera and PIR sensor. The controller houses the DVR and system circuit board and all external connectors. The camera can be any 12vdc powered camera or combination camera/infrared illuminator. Thermal cameras as well as image intensified (1-3rd Gen) cameras can also be used.

The present version uses wireless PIR's that can be mounted up to 400 feet away. Once the subject passes within 65 feet of the wireless PIR, the PIR sends the activation signal to the buried controller unit which then turns on power to the camera and DVR. The DVR records within 2 seconds of activation which is rather fast and it's the only micro-DVR that has that ability. The system records for 30 seconds to hours depending on how long you want the system to record. Once the selected time expires, the power to the DVR turns off but not before correctly saving the video file. Then the unit goes back to sleep to conserve power until the next activation.

Here is a link to one camera I use with the EyeGotcha system.

http://www.oemcameras.com/products/boardcameras/?id=rhpq-945

This camera has a unique Day/Night lens feature where the infrared blocking lens physically slides out of the cameras field of view just after sunset. By moving the IR blocking lens from the cameras field of view it allows more IR light onto the CCD sensor. This is really helpful if you’re using infrared illuminators, but it also allows more IR light from the sky even a couple hours after sunset.

The original EyeGotcha system is still way too expensive for the average researcher, about 1500.00 so I'm working on another that will be much cheaper and still achieve similar results. The new system will allow the researcher to use any off the shelf 12vdc powered camera. The control unit will be waterproof so all you need to do is set up your camera within 25 feet from the controller, connect the camera cable into the controller then do the same with the PIR and its cable. Once you plug in the PIR sensor, walk test the system then activate the system and walk away for a couple months. When you get back, you can view the captured video using the on board mini display or just replace the SD card and replace the battery and your ready to go for another two months. This system, just like the original EyeGotcha system will not produce any ultrasonic sound, EMI or RFI.

I have another system that once the PIR is activated it sends you two pictures within seconds to your cell phone. It works well, but the newer system will send you streaming video to your cell phone, plus it allows for two way conversation. So when the system is activated, you can see/record the video on your phone, plus the system will record the audio/video to the on board SD card. The only downfall is you need cell coverage for these systems to work.

Recently, the video surveillance industry took a major step forward by intergrading cell phone technology into low cost surveillance systems. What I am doing is taking that technology, making slight modifications and using it for remote surveillance locations. Down the road is a wireless mesh network system of inexpensive cameras all linked into a wireless mess network so they can transmit data (pictures/video) through the mesh network until it reaches a transmit location where the cell system can be used to bring the video to your cell phone.

Va-Bigfoot

Guest ajciani

I like the idea of being able to split the unit into pieces, and have flexibility in the lens and camera.

For example, a camera with telephoto lens could be mounted on a deer stand with the IR illuminator (filtered Q-beam) and large battery. The PIR could be mounted closer to where the camera is looking, perhaps in a location where the hunters using that stand frequently see the creatures. And voila, the bigfoot gets its picture taken by a camera 100 feet away (or more). I also like the idea of multiple PIR sensors. You could bracket the approach and record for 5 or 10 minutes per activation.

This setup could also work for locations where you are pretty certain you will receive a night visitor. Of course, you could just rig that up to a remote controlled activator, that you could turn on when the activity starts.

The biggest problem with day and night cameras is that they use the same CCD for both day and night. These CCDs have red, green and blue filters (the Bayer filter) on them for color video. In IR mode, the camera just moves the IR filter out of the way, and converts the signal from the red, green and blue pixels to black-and-white. The problem is that the Bayer filter knocks out quite a bit of the IR.

A pure IR or B&W camera doesn't (or shouldn't) have a Bayer filter. Every UV, visible and IR photon gets absorbed by every pixel, so the sensitivity is considerably higher. Where a day and night camera might see a two-tone (dark and darker) shadow moving around, a B&W camera might be able to make out hair texture and even facial features.

BFF Patron

Which brings up the question: When is an IR film-loaded style game camera with a below ground trip plate (and no noisy filters) or some other trip system is going to be used along with video to gain the best resolution of the subject at hand.

Guest ajciani

Using IR film is tricky. It is actually rather difficult to handle, and there are not a lot of places that sell it or process it.

As for the video, for someone like me or VaBigfoot, video systems are easy to deal with. I think Bill even had an IR sensitive camera trained on a box of feed corn. Of course, the IR LEDs illuminating said box might have been a give away to the camera. I have recently heard that bigfoots love sweet feed, so maybe the feed corn just wasn't appetizing. I think they also like to "steal" it too, so maybe the silver platter approach wasn't good either.

The biggest problem with video systems, is that you are pretty much restricted to locations with power outlets. The cameras don't use too much, but the illuminators need to stay on, and the DVR needs to stay on. These items would normally consume at least 10 Watts. Even a large exit sign battery would normally only supply 144 W*hr, or about 15 hours of recording time before being depleted. The DVRs are also noisy, bulky and expensive. A cheap option would be to use your computer.

There are now some mini DVRs on the market, which can be powered by batteries, support recording to SD cards, and some support motion detection. Again, the camera + illuminator + DVR would drain a large exit sign battery in a day. What makes Bill's EyeGotcha II work so well, is that everything gets switched on only when the motion detector trips, so you can get 24 hours of record time, and months of standby time.

Guest ajciani

Oh, and it may help to have cameras that don't look like cameras, or stick out like sore thumbs. That means visiting the spy store. It also means more $$$.

Guest tracker

I think they can smell the plastic or our scent on them at least. Plus the shape of the cams tend to stick out in the woods. If someone put one up in your home no matter how well its disguised your going to notice it red LED or not. JMO.

Guest ajciani

That's where cautious placement comes in. If the bigfoots cannot see it until it is too late, you get a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to start using these Eye-Fi Pro X2 CF cards, setting up an ad hoc network with my laptop in camp and use my 4G Verizon wireless router. The card will transfer the pictures up to 300 feet away. It will even do RAW images, but at a slower rate. These cards will work in regular gamecams but also in protected DSLRs, sporting much more resolution and clarity. I already have an eye piece motion sensor trip that works great. With one near camera wired strobe and one slaved further away and at an angle off parallel with the image plane it would be so much better then commercial game cameras.

BFF Patron

Forgive me but what is an eyepiece motion sensor trip? Also at 300 ft. I assume the wifi is only line of sight to the router? Or is it available anywhere there is a 3/4G signals?

The WiFi router is a small black box that makes an ad hoc network around it. It is battery powered and has a range with this type of network up to 300 feet. The WiFi CF card is the storage card inside a digital camera. Once an image is made and stored on it, it will transmit it to through the ad hoc network to my laptop, which is also on the same network. The eye piece trip was demonstrated on a Monster Quest episode at Fouke Arkansas. It fits on a DSLR (ZigView ) eyepiece and if it detects any movement through it, it will electronically fire the camera. So a good camera could be set out at a camp site while you are there and it will take pictures automatically, sending them to your laptop immediately for you to look at.

Edited by damndirtyape

Guest ajciani

But doesn't that system need a decent amount of visible light for the eye piece trip to work? I don't think it will do good in the dark. I also have this suspicion that it is less covert than a game camera.

I still think setting up a DVR, external IR illumination and IR sensitive CCTV cameras at a "baited" situation is the best bet. You could even wire the alarm indicator from the DVR to a remote trigger on a DSLR, and cause the camera to snap a pic. The baiting is key. Creating elaborate setups in the hopes of an accidental walk-by is expensive and difficult to maintain.

For example, the Mace DVR-MINI2 (discontinued?) used an SD card to record, could do image-based motion detection, and had an alarm out.

Yes, this system requires an adequate amount of ambient light to work the triggering mechanism, but seeing as I don't believe the animals to be nocturnal, no problem. The best evidence collected so far has been made in broad daylight. Everything else has amounted to nothing. Humans make observational errors more so at night than during the day. It has been years worth of night time camera traps all across the nation, and not just placed out there by amateurs or Bigfoot hunters, and we have squat so far from them concerning our mystery beast. Only one other primate has exhibited a nocturnal activity preference, and that was caused by a human war, self preservation.

A majority of the researchers, I bet, have day jobs and thus find it more convenient to do their side hunting for Bigfoot at night. A majority of the researchers latch on to the theory that Bigfoot is nocturnal because of this IMHO. PGF - daylight. MD - daylight. Freeman video - daylight. Classic sightings and other maybe videos - daylight. Just go down the entire list. If you want to include night time sightings then you need to assign a handicap because of the greater potential of mistaken identity.

So using this device falls right in line with my own reasoning. Calls broadcasted at night help lure something in, but it is the daytime encounter and evidence gathering I am after.

The advantages of daylight activity by the animal and searching by investigators also far outweigh the ones at night. Line of sight is magnitudes greater. Landmarks can easily be used. Less equipment and technical problems encountered. Better results with photography. Less mistaken IDs. Safer travel and operations. Important sign won't be missed or contaminated.

Everything that works at night also works during the day. Like with sound traveling the same distances.

But doesn't that system need a decent amount of visible light for the eye piece trip to work? I don't think it will do good in the dark. I also have this suspicion that it is less covert than a game camera.

I still think setting up a DVR, external IR illumination and IR sensitive CCTV cameras at a "baited" situation is the best bet. You could even wire the alarm indicator from the DVR to a remote trigger on a DSLR, and cause the camera to snap a pic. The baiting is key. Creating elaborate setups in the hopes of an accidental walk-by is expensive and difficult to maintain.

For example, the Mace DVR-MINI2 (discontinued?) used an SD card to record, could do image-based motion detection, and had an alarm out.

In Oklahoma there was a setup where a DVR was run along with 4 cameras, with over 14,000 hours of footage obtained, but when it was over with, the land owner refused to allow the equipment to be returned. So if you set something like this up on someone's property, be aware of the fact you could end up losing it if the land owner gets a wild hair up them.

Guest ajciani

The diurnal/nocturnal issue is rather complex. Campsite and cabin visits definitely occur at night, and I think there would be far more nighttime videos if we had cameras that were good for it. There are some daytime blobsquatches taken from game cameras, but most seem to be at night.

I think it is that bigfoots are active all the time, except for maybe around midday. The reason there is more activity at night, is that they have to come in closer to see. During the day, they can stay a 100 yards away, and probably do. I suspect they can see the cameras better in the day as well.

The real issues are camouflage, effective baiting, and distance imaging, rather than quantity.

DW: That is certainly a concern when working on another person's land. Getting to know a land owner is a must. So far, I have not encountered one that would do such a thing.

14,000 hours of footage is a lot. You must not have had a motion-activated recorder. Did you ever search through all of that, and find anything? Just a suggestion if you haven't: you could use a modern motion-sensing DVR or computer import board with software, and play the tapes into it as if they were a camera feed.