This Would Be Awesome

ThePhaige

Sad to say, our saintliness doesn't close to cancel our barbarism.  Not the most successful prognosis for this little experiment in evolution.

Sheri -

I have said it before this Kevin Richards guy does not have to interact with these animals directly in any way shape or form to accomplish anything regarding conservation.  Him interacting with these animals only inhibits them from having a normal wild life, they are now comfortable around humans and may even seek them out for food ect...  These animals will never have a normal life.  I am willing to bet these animals are all confined in paddocks, something you won't see in the videos.   

The direct contact he continues to have with these animals no matter what he says is only for his own selfish reasons, the animals do not need it and essentially he just needs his "cuddle lion" fix end of story.

In regards to the guy with the bears and ax handle... hahaha good luck with that, sure a swat might keep a curious or even an annoyed bear at bay but a sledge hammer couldn't even make an angry/hungry determined bear flinch. 

• Upvote 1

Sheri -

I have said it before this Kevin Richards guy does not have to interact with these animals directly in any way shape or form to accomplish anything regarding conservation. 

His name is Kevin Richardson and the guys entire life is devoted to conservation.

Sad to say, our saintliness doesn't close to cancel our barbarism.  Not the most successful prognosis for this little experiment in evolution.

I thought you were going to say that our saintliness doesn't come close to our salty-ness. :sarcastic:

People can believe all the hippy energy mumbo-jumbo that they want. How many loving compassionate animal handlers and zoo keepers have been killed by animals that aren't even predators, by animals that don't even have a strong predatory drive to kill? Killing is part of a predators natural behaviour, but that is ESPECIALLY true in the case of cats. Cats will kill for sport, even if they don't intend on consuming an animal.

Edited by Irish73

I think that one thing we haven't even begun to start on yet is the motives of animals.  Folks that do this we're-buddies deal are anthropomorphizing a tad too much, and many have paid the piper for that.

OK, OK.  Our bonhomie and our barbarism, that too...;-)

To bad the animals he's interacting with are semi-captive. He even states that cuddling with pure wild animals is crazy.

Edited by Jerrymanderer

I did read what you said.

You said; "I have said it before this Kevin Richards guy does not have to interact with these animals directly in any way shape or form to accomplish anything regarding conservation".

But this says otherwise: http://www.lionwhisperer.co.za/index.php/conservation/wild

read it again.... awww heck ill help you

"I have said it before this Kevin Richards guy does not have to interact with these animals directly in any way shape or form to accomplish anything regarding conservation"

ergo concordantly i never questioned his accomplisments regarding conservation, merely stating that he could have accomplished the same thing without putting the animals lives in jeopardy by having direct physical contact.

He does the direct contact for his own selfish reasons, the animals do not need his human cuddle time in fact they would be better off with out it and that is not debatable IMO

• Upvote 1

Those people eat and sell bushmeat because they are impoverished. Working with the people and educating them has helped some. The gorilla population has increased in certain areas because of people who like Kevin who have given their time to teach people about the animals. Those cats he he's around were raised from babies and they are on a sanctuary. He only interacts with those he has raised. He is a zoologist and an animal behavouralist. The lion population has went down dramatically because of trophy hunters and loss of habitat. I have nothing against hunting for food, but to kill just for fun is ridiculous. A waste of an animals life. I give him credit for what he's doing. I'm surprized by the flack because of those on this forum who go out looking for bigfoot. For something that could be dangerous besides all the other dangerous animals in the forest. It's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.                                      

Bigbear that's your opnion and I have mine.

^ he has "wild" animals caged up and he directly interacts with them on a routine basis therefore assuring that no animals breed there will ever be capable of being release to the wild for the sake of true conservation. 

yep pretty much nailed it.

Look at what is done with the California condor, that is conservation!  They go through great lengths to avoid human interaction, because it is true conservation as they intend to release animals into the wild to help the WILD population.

http://www.arkive.org/california-condor/gymnogyps-californianus/video-15b.html

From SD zoo website -

"On Tuesday, September 3, 2013, we removed her from her parents' flight pen at out California condor breeding facility and moved her to our remote socialization pen, approximately one mile from the main part of the Safari Park.  There, she will be isolated form any human activity and socialized with other fledglings her age:"