When Did Bigfoot Become Popular? What Year?

TD-40

Hello All,

I'll take a stab at the OP and say Jerry Crew Oct. 5, 1958.

But did that have any impact outside of the PNW?  I'm (fortunately) just a little too young to have been around for that, but I can't remember any really big Bigfoot news having any traction back east during the 60s.  Isolated pockets of people may have known/talked about it, but not wide segments of the population. 

Hello Trogluddite,

You're probably correct in that. One has to wonder seriously though about the apparent diminished media grapevine on this. I mean even then a story or photo of Mr.Crew holding a footprint cast as large as that one was would've shook the anthropological world. Maybe it did who knows but to me anyway that knid of explosive news should have bee front page everywhere. It makes me truly wonder why it wasn't.

• 1 year later...

A small update on this topic, or a curiosity that fits here as well as anywhere else....

The other day, I stumbled upon some 1930s news articles that I was not familiar with.  These included several articles, all apparently derived from one original report, of America's first Bigfoot hunting expedition.  Two California brothers announced their plan to go to Harrison Hot Springs in Canada to photograph the beast, who was recently appearing in the area.  

So does this demonstrate a linkage between publicity begetting more publicity?  I searched the Newspapers.com database for Canadian news articles before 1929 that included the word "Sasquatch."  The search returned 0 results.

J.W. Burns article in MacLean's Magazine about Sasquatch came out in April 1929.  

I searched (the available) Canadian newspapers for the word "Sasquatch" between 1929 and 1940 - 23 matches.  However, 22 of those articles were from The Chilliwack Progress; only one came from anywhere else in Canada. And that was a very short paragraph in The Ottawa Journal noting that a horse named Sasquatch was scratched from the first race at Churchill. 

So if very few newspapers, pre-1940, were publicizing Bigfoot or Sasquatch, were did all the publicity come from?

A better way to state this would be when did Bigfoot become a house hold word rather than just popular.  In Canada the name Sasquatch in 1929 due mostly to an article written by J.W. Burns.  In the USA the name Bigfoot in 1958 do mostly to an article written by Andrew Gonzollie, featuring Jerry Crew..

Thomas Steenburg

This thread is to discuss, or estimate, what year(s) bigfoot started to become well-known in society. I've read eyewitness accounts such as that of Ape Canyon. The story seems pretty far-fetched, but then again it occurred 90 years ago. How prevalent was the folklore, legends, and stories of bigfoot back then? Probably not a lot. What is the likelihood that a group of miners would fabricate such a story when possibly nobody else they knew could have ever known of such creatures? What would motivate guys to make up a story like that... BACK THEN?

When Patterson and Gimlin had their PGF experience in 1967, how well known was bigfoot back then? If it wasn't well known, why would two guys go to to the expense and trouble of fabricating a story like that? Remember, Albert Ostman said he waited years before talking to anyone about it, during a time when bigfoot was not well known.

I think today, it is easy to fabricate experiences and stories because you can tell your next door neighbor about it and he might laugh about it. Why? Because everyone today has heard of bigfoot.

There is a threshold somewhere in history when bigfoot stories became more common in society. Business would call this "market penetration." Do you tend to believe the stories that are really old, such as the pre-PGF era, more than today's media-savvy world when hoaxes and misIDs are more common?

So when did Bigfoot enter popular culture and folklore? Do you tend to believe the reports from long ago more than today?

When did Bigfoot become popular†What year? Despite their claims I am not sure anyone cornered the market on a specific year maybe a general time period would be more appropriate. Wouldn't that largely depend on the region you live? May be some regions more or less than others? Depending what you read or hear somebody always claims to have coined the term first. Nevertheless, there does seem to be a burst of Bigfoot sightings reported in the mid-1960s across the Midwest though.  

Guest Crowlogic

It started with the Yeti reports in the 50's and really caught fire nationally with the PGF.  It became a business during the 1970's and it's been a business ever since.

The Yeti reports were pretty big news.  Major American newspapers were running weekly updates of the Hillary expedition.   It is the very reason Patterson borrowed the Abominable Snowman phrase for his book.  By the late 60's the Iceman was ready to go on tour. 

More interesting though is the way the it's evolved.  Even a few years ago stick structures, rock banging, wood knocking and gift piles were unheard of.  The question needs to be asked what took everybody so long to pick up on these things.  I recall nothing in the 70's or 80's describing such.  Something of a red herring about it. 

Edited by Crowlogic

A better way to state this would be when did Bigfoot become a house hold word rather than just popular.  In Canada the name Sasquatch in 1929 due mostly to an article written by J.W. Burns.  In the USA the name Bigfoot in 1958 do mostly to an article written by Andrew Gonzollie, featuring Jerry Crew..

Thomas Steenburg

TS, 

Don't doubt you, because I hear you're like - Canadian or something :D - but was B/S popular outside of western Canada after the MacLean's story, or just the west? 

It started with the Yeti reports in the 50's and really caught fire nationally with the PGF.  It became a business during the 1970's and it's been a business ever since.

The Yeti reports were pretty big news.  Major American newspapers were running weekly updates of the Hillary expedition.   It is the very reason Patterson borrowed the Abominable Snowman phrase for his book.  By the late 60's the Iceman was ready to go on tour. 

More interesting though is the way the it's evolved.  Even a few years ago stick structures, rock banging, wood knocking and gift piles were unheard of.  The question needs to be asked what took everybody so long to pick up on these things.  I recall nothing in the 70's or 80's describing such.  Something of a red herring about it. 

That would explain why I don't remember the boom phase - I wasn't born until 1962.  Although truth be told, if it weren't for "In Search of" and a few 6 Million Dollar Man episodes, I don't really think I would have heard about Bigfoot either....

Edited to add: There is some slight probative weight in trying to figure out when BF/Sas became well known, as the relative obscurity cuts against someone hoaxing - why hoax something that nobody knows about?

Edited by Trogluddite

Crow, 

This is purely fate, but look at this 1936 clipping - they heard measured tapping which they thought might be a Sasquatch....

clipping_2629364.pdf

Edited by Trogluddite

Cool find, Trog.

Supposed wood knocking was also described during the Sierra Sounds encounters in the early 70's, so it isn't something of recent invention.

Guest Crowlogic

Hello All,

I'll take a stab at the OP and say Jerry Crew Oct. 5, 1958.

Jerry Crew BTW was an employee of master track hoaxer Ray Wallace.  It's a detail that has never sat well with me even when I was a believer.

^^^

Crow,

I am, all things being equal, new to this, however in my real life I often build timelines (supported by documentation) to resolve complex questions - its amazing how few people try to put everything into the correct order using the original documentation in a dispute but instead just wing it w/their latest submission.

That being said (and these are purely rhetorical questions; I'm sure that there's a whole thread somewhere under the dross) 

* When is the first time that Ray Wallace made the claim to be hoaxing tracks?

* When is the first date that Ray Wallace claimed to have hoaxed tracks? 

* What contemporaneous, credible evidence is there to support any of his claims that he hoaxed a specific set of tracks? Not carvings that he could have made after seeing prints, but things like motel receipts or company records that show he actually was in a given location at a time when tracks were reported. 

* When is the first time that his hoaxed tracks were reported?  

If BF/Sas was not well known at the time he began hoaxing, why would he be running around hoaxing something that no one had ever heard about?

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/legends/spokanes.htm

Yes, but just because we find those things in the fossil record does not make bigfoot real. When we find new dinasaur species thru fossils do we assume dinasaur species still exsit undiscovered today?

I missed this back then.

The obvious problem with his logic is that ALL Dinosaurs went extinct with the KT boundary event. And that event happened approximately 65 million years ago.

Not so with Apes of which we also belong to.

^^^

Crow,

I am, all things being equal, new to this, however in my real life I often build timelines (supported by documentation) to resolve complex questions - its amazing how few people try to put everything into the correct order using the original documentation in a dispute but instead just wing it w/their latest submission.

That being said (and these are purely rhetorical questions; I'm sure that there's a whole thread somewhere under the dross) 

* When is the first time that Ray Wallace made the claim to be hoaxing tracks?

* When is the first date that Ray Wallace claimed to have hoaxed tracks? 

* What contemporaneous, credible evidence is there to support any of his claims that he hoaxed a specific set of tracks? Not carvings that he could have made after seeing prints, but things like motel receipts or company records that show he actually was in a given location at a time when tracks were reported. 

* When is the first time that his hoaxed tracks were reported?  

If BF/Sas was not well known at the time he began hoaxing, why would he be running around hoaxing something that no one had ever heard about?

Quite right. One can easily counter that Ray Wallace ended up making bigfoot stompers because of what an employer of his found at Bluff Creek.

Here's a vexing problem - what if the first reports of BF/Sas made him very human like?  Wouldn't fakers and those w/extreme imaginations who were just repeating initial reports describe big humans, as opposed to big apes?  Well, here's an artist's rendition of BF/Sas from 1934 - not very Patty like, is he?

Artist__039_s_rendition_1934.pdf

P.S.: If anyone knows how to convert a .pdf file to an image that can be added to the post, have to. I'm not trying to make people download things, but I'm at the caveman level of understanding computers. 

• 2 weeks later...

It started in the 50's with the Yeti reports 58 in the jerry crew castings and reports got bigger with the PGF and then exploded with the in search of special. I do find it interesting that prior to the in search of episode over 80% of all reports were from the PNW. I still find reports coming east of the Rockies very suspect