Infrasound Event Preliminary Report

SWWASAS

Admin

SSW, 

Could you please tell us where and when the event occurred (within 100 mile radius). I want to crosscheck any natural/man made causes of the event. As you know, earthquakes, explosions and many other phenomena generate infrasound.

Thanks

Guest keninsc

At the risk of sounding all adversarial, which is not my intention at all, but has anyone stopped and considered that infrasound is not yet established as something Bigfoots do. Not saying that they don't, but people also believe they're telepathic, trans-dimensional, in league with aliens, and impregnate human females on a semi-regular basis.....or at least try to. *rolls eyes on that one*

While infrasound can produce the results you describe in the OP, so can fear and anxiety. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe the people you observed were just plain scared? Mind you, there is nothing wrong with being scared I've been so scared that I couldn't control my bowels or bladder and am not ashamed to admit it. People are different and so too their ability to handle fear. 

All I'm saying is Bigfoots seem to be granted new and more better powers ever couple of years. I'm waiting until they can shoot lasers from their eyes and lightening out of their.......you know where. 

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about. Back when I was just back from Nam and in TEC school I would read up on Bigfoot The tallest ones were in the neighborhood of seven feet tall. Now reports of eight, nine and ten feet tall are not uncommon and I have personally read reports that swear the thing stood twelve feet tall. Think about it, that means it's head was two higher than a standard basketball net which is ten feel from the top to the floor. Now I know if I were to ever see a real live bigfoot and was severely unarmed I might well experience all the things described myself in a very time compressed manner, not because of their inherent infrasound projecting abilities but rather due to me being scared to death.

"Hey Ken? You was scared, weren't you?"

"Me? Scared? Hell no, Dude I wasn't scared a lick."

"Ok, but what's that smell and what's that a rolling down your britches leg?"

"That? Oh....uh....that? Well, I'll tell you what that is. That's what happened when that damned old booger hit me with his infrasound weaponry."

"Infrasound? What you talking about Ken? You was scared."

"No I wasn't! You can't hear it because it's so low a frequency it's below human range but man it'll shiver up your insides and make you feel all fearful and puny."

"But it ain't fear?"

"Naaaw, ain't no fear to it. It's them Bigfoots gots powers. I'm a telling you, they gots powers."

BFF Patron

Now I know why scientists like Meldrum stay away from these forums.       The primary observer in this event was myself.    The recorder was on my pack.      The location was about 10 miles east of Battle Ground Washington.      I have experienced numerous earthquakes in my life having lived in California and experienced several in Washington state very near where I live.        This was not an earthquake.   You can check with the USGS.    There were several earthquakes that day in Washington but the nearest in time was a half hour later. 

I explained that the recorder did not record the primary infrasound waves but higher frequency jingles of objects in my pack rattling together with each passing infra sound wave.    If you wave around a tambourine at a low frequency the metal disks on the tambourine vibrate at a higher frequency.     Same principal applies.   The recorder is quite capable of recording jingles at a higher frequency that are generated by a low frequency pressure wave just as it is capable of recording distant gun shot blasts that are a single passing pressure wave rather than a sinusoidal sound wave.   A gun shot is a single pressure wave, not a resonating sinusoidal sound.      

if it was a grouse I would have heard it with my ears and the recorder would have recorded it directly as did the recorder in the clip you furnished.       I did not hear anything but felt my insides vibrating.   The recorder takes much of the subjective on the part of the observer out of this.     And helps explain what it was not.   It produced data.      Now that I know what to look for I hope to get better instrumentation so I can record infrasound directly.      All I have to do is provoke BF to produce infra sound and not get myself killed.   A California researcher warned me of just that.       If anyone else wants to participate in my experiments the more witnesses the better.     Let me know.        

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

BFF Patron

Just curious are there any railroad tunnels near the area?   How about train schedules.  I was in the area several times and several trains every couple hours were coming through the lower elevations on the Washington side of the river.  It was so bad it was hard to sleep in the state campground at Beacon Rock from 11PM to 5am or so when I was out that way.  I've got some familiarity with BF and infrasound, so I am just querying, not doubting.  Shoot me a PM and let's talk.   I believe there is a gentleman in SWVA that was a cohort of cohost with Billy Willard on SasqWatch Radio early on but signed off of BF research he was friends with the dude who has created an infrasound recording device. As I remember it is advertised on the net.   I remember his first name was Tom and I want to say last name Carpenter but I'm probably wrong. The instruments I've seen cost between $250 and $300 bucks and some require antennas that are large for best results.  Tree trunks can be used as antennas if properly rigged. 

Edited by bipedalist

I was just doing some reading on biological infrasounds, and was surprized to find guinea fowl on the list of animals capable of making such. I'd heard something about bigger birds, ostriches and cassowaries, but never something as small as a guinea fowl (which is a sort of very big chicken).

The other factor seems to be volume, the force of the wave. That presumably requires a larger body to have strength to generate a powerful low frequency wave.

But everything I read backs up the physical symptoms aperson can feel when exposed to powerful waves in the 4-10hz range.

You might want to read this article. 

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-11/acoustic-weapons-book-excerpt

It seems effective infrasound doesn't start working until around 140dB.

Which is about the same level that regular frequencies start messing with you.

BFF Patron

If you look at the grouse frequency data on the above attached report, most is in the human hearing range  50 to 70 hz and well within my recorder low range of 30 hz.     The lowest beat frequency in the grouse data was 20 hz which is double what my recording sample shows at the high end.    Emu's make a low frequency boom but that is also in human hearing and my recorder range.     Yes my recorder data is indirect but there are no field recorders I am aware of that are capable of recording infrasound directly.  Why would you design equipment that can record and play back something you cannot hear  when you play it back?   Some data is better than no data even if it is indirect.     To summarily dismiss any viable data makes me question the motives of someone that does that.     I would be happy to examine any data that contradicts my theory should someone wish to provide it.      RR

I was just looking for things in the forest here that could make (infra-sound) I thought the grouse was the closest thing. 

I agree you were there and experiencing something, I was not.

East of Battle Ground up on the east fork of the Lewis river is one of my favorite spots. Not sure if thats where you were. Lots of good areas in the foot hills.

Keep up the good research! 

BFF Patron

Drew:    There is no cell phone coverage there and but I looked and did not receive a call then anyway.     It would take a giant cell phone on steroids to produce what I felt in my body.    This was a physically powerful oscillation in my body.    That is a good article you provided on infrasound and it supports my experience.        The frequencies mentioned in the article are in the range I detected.     The physical manifestation I felt was similar to one of those vibrators that they used to put on hotel beds.   You put in a coin and it vibrates you at a low frequency.     Some of you are probably too young to have even seen them.    

Daveedoe:  I have been out there East of Sunset falls several times but had no contact.   Where I have had contact, found footprints,  and now this event is closer in and not on the river but on a creek tributary.    I see people parked and often wonder how many are looking for BF like I am.    Cliff Barackman mentioned working an area along the Lewis sometimes but I don't know if that was the North Fork or East Fork where you are talking about.

If some of you have problems accepting infrasound you should hear the recording I got out along that part of the Lewis River East of Sunset Campground.       Those who have heard it are still trying to figure out what it might be.      Some unseen entity managed to get a fairly loud warning in English on my recorder without me hearing it with my ears or being aware that anyone else was around.      I cannot even begin to explain that one but for sure strange things are happening out there.   It really freaked me out.     The river is so loud there that getting anything on a recorder is difficult.   I have hoped to be able to approach a BF on the river that cannot hear me approach because of the river noise.   But no luck so far.   

I have not one problem accepting what you experienced.  I felt it and so did hubby............The blast came after we were roared at from the valley below and it was actually as if it was a beach ball size force that went over us.  It vibrated my entire body. 

BFF Patron

BFF Patron

Here is what a popular blogger in the Portland area has to say about infrasound:

http://cliffbarackman.com/research/articles-2/a-case-for-infrasound/

Guest keninsc

Cliff Barackman? The man sees Bigfoot in his dreams.

Ok, at the risk of sounding like I'm taking the adversarial roles here, but there is no hard evidence that Bigfoot use infrasound as a weapon. For that matter there is no hard evidence that Bigfoot are even real, I think they might be but that is speculation.  So let's take a look at the effects, that is the known effects that result from infrasound exposure.

This from Wikipedia:

Human reactions to infrasound[edit]

20 Hz is considered the normal low-frequency limit of human hearing. When pure sine waves are reproduced under ideal conditions and at very high volume, a human listener will be able to identify tones as low as 12 Hz.[30] Below 10 Hz it is possible to perceive the single cycles of the sound, along with a sensation of pressure at the eardrums.

The dynamic range of the auditory system decreases with decreasing frequency. This compression can be seen in the equal-loudness-level contours, and it implies that a slight increase in level can change the perceived loudness from barely audible, to loud. Combined with the natural spread in thresholds within a population, it may have the effect that a very low-frequency sound which is inaudible to some people may be loud to others.

One study has suggested that infrasound may cause feelings of awe or fear in humans. It also was suggested that since it is not consciously perceived, it may make people feel vaguely that odd or supernatural events are taking place.[31]

Infrasonic 17 Hz tone experiment[edit]

On 31 May 2003, a group of UK researchers held a mass experiment where they exposed some 700 people to music laced with soft 17 Hzsine waves played at a level described as "near the edge of hearing", produced by an extra-long-stroke subwoofer mounted two-thirds of the way from the end of a seven-meter-long plastic sewer pipe. The experimental concert (entitled Infrasonic) took place in the Purcell Room over the course of two performances, each consisting of four musical pieces. Two of the pieces in each concert had 17 Hz tones played underneath. In the second concert, the pieces that were to carry a 17 Hz undertone were swapped so that test results would not focus on any specific musical piece. The participants were not told which pieces included the low-level 17 Hz near-infrasonic tone. The presence of the tone resulted in a significant number (22%) of respondents reporting anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine, and feelings of pressure on the chest.[32][33] In presenting the evidence to the British Association for the Advancement of Science, Professor Richard Wiseman said, "These results suggest that low frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound. Some scientists have suggested that this level of sound may be present at some allegedly haunted sites and so cause people to have odd sensations that they attribute to a ghost—our findings support these ideas."[31]

Suggested relationship to ghost sightings[edit]

Psychologist Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire thinks that the odd sensations that people attribute to ghosts may be caused by infrasonic vibrations. In 1998, Vic Tandy, experimental officer and part-time lecturer in the school of international studies and law at Coventry University, and Dr. Tony Lawrence of the psychology department wrote a paper called "Ghosts in the Machine" for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. Their research suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.

The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vise. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[34] This was why Tandy had seen a ghostly figure—it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which caused the vibration of the foil.[35]

Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine.[36] Tandy carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[37][38] and Edinburgh Castle.[39][40]

Now, my point is, what else could produce the very same effect in people? C'mon, I've got faith in you. The answer is fear, just plain old fear. No infrasound, no mental telepathy, just fear. Mind you it's ok to experience fear, after all that's why we'd go to see the horror movies back in my day or rent horror movies in my kid's day. Ok, you say you could hear or feel the vibration in your chest..........if you could then you might not be in the infrasound range that effects you. Just pointing that out.

Just playing Devil's advocate here because it sounds like you need a good dose of "Oh yeah?". Infrasound sounds all well and good and adds to the mystery and the lore and such but the truth is fear will do the very same thing and let's be honest you're out with a monster like a Bigfoot in close proximity to you. You gonna tell me you ain't scared? Hell, I would be.