N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

Page 31 refers to dove and geese hunting..........,,huh

Norse,

It's the actual page 31, not the scroll number and BTW, it isn't numbered at the bottom as page 30 due to an advertisement placed there.

Thanks, Yuchi1, for your detailed reply. I now understand your progress from "pro for gain" to "anti from personal encounter". We obviously disagree on the need for protection of the as yet unclassified species, but I do get your take on the track record of that, too. My outlook on the subject agrees with bipto and norseman regarding a type specimen, so we part ways here, for now.

BC,

I certainly respect your position on the subject as well as Norse & Bipto's.

From a neutral perspectiive (as conveyed recently by a friend that is not involved actively in this field), I would ask the following question of anyone engaged in the effort to kill a UHS/BF, in order to protect them.

Why do they really need protection?

Seems like they're doing rather well all on their own.

Hello Yuchi1,

Your account of hunting at night was amazing. And I too can see how such sobering thoughts could change a person. Especially after your realization that you thought your life (or death) was not in your own hands.

....without the "protection" of white people's ideas of such....

Standing up for a principle is commendable. One must take care though that any gains one achieves are not offset by even small unintended errors. And don't worry, I'm perfectly capable enough in my own blunderings to know.

Edited by hiflier

Do you have copies of the incident reports they filed or can direct people to the particular LE agency involved?

I have no idea what, if any, reports were ever filed.

Yuchi, beg pardon, ma'am, but your agenda is showing.

Hanging right out the flap, as it were. 

With the underlying premise being, to save them from extinction, yet you haven't a clue of what the population actually is...smacks a bit of a red herring, IMO.

Of course, if people keep wounding them, we may not hafta worry about it.

The shrinking habitat position is also made of clay feet as clear cutting has (SE USA) been a boon to wildlife (i.e., deer, turkey, quail) as it creates a virtual cornucopia for them, especially years 1-4 and then, great cover thereafter, until the next plot is cut.

To wit, in 1940 the Alabama Wldlife Department estimated the whitetail deer herd at ~12,000 animals.  In 1970, that estimate was 2,000,000 animals. The major difference in habitat during that time period, yep, clear cutting.

Clear cutting was also blamed for the Spotted Owl predicament in the PNW...until, wildlife professionals examined the situation and found that logging was not the problem, it was Barred Owls moving into the Spotted Owl range....and, killing/eating them.

Do you guys have anything better than that as the motivation for what you are doing?

Edited by Yuchi1

Some interesting opinions Yuchi. Why not start your own thread to discuss them as they are straying off topic and Bipto has already given his thoughts on such repeatedly.

That is specific to hog hunting.

Yep, as that is the only large animal that could be legally hunting at that time (July) of the year.

Edited by Yuchi1

^Except, anyone on private or public lands can carry a variety of firearms for self defense (unless otherwise posted legally prohibiting firearms on the property).

Again, that little thing called the 2nd amendment.

One can do all sorts of activities at night with thermals, night vision, and firearms that falls well within the realm of legality.

Until a shot is fired.

Then....I personally would employ an explanation like this:

Additionally, question for you Yuchi - what can you offer as far as insight on population, distribution, and required habitat?

The question of what can and cannot be legally hunted has been hashed and rehashed and digested and hashed again. We are talking about an animal that does not legally exist. Can we be cited for hunting unicorns, too? How about dragons? When, exactly, is bigfoot season in Oklahoma?

Those in the group who are willing to do so have also willingly taken on the risk of doing it. Nothing anyone says will be something we haven't already talked about ourselves many times over. If it's the choice between discovering an animal so it and its habitat can be protected for all time versus getting a ticket, we'll take the damned ticket (or whatever legal ramifications develop). 

Yuchi1...I appreciate your experiences in the field, and I really hope you'll continue to share those with us. 

[i'm leaving it to you to just do some more research into the differences between what is defined as a "game" animal, and how that defintion does/doesn't overlap with the definition of "wildlife." These two are not mutually exclusive categories...but I think for the purposes of this discussion, we've beaten it to (past) death]

Guest DWA

I can-not BO-LEEEEEEVE it.

The same old same old, dredged anew. Can we try to talk about what NAWAC is actually doing in X?

Many of us are conflicted with the choice of allowing sasquatch to fend for itself or for a group like Bipto's to bring one in for classification. In the meantime Sasquatch continues to be shot by careless 'yahoos' that enter the woods to poach or to aimlessly kill other animals for glory. The moral hunter kills to feed their families, and then uses every part of the body as the Native Americans did. On the net, I found 32 reports of Sasquatch being shot dead, but the bodies were never delivered to a biologist who could finally name the species. Do I agree with the NAWC's agenda to bring one in for science?  Before, I answer that look at the police forensic artist's sketch of Sasquatch below:

My intent was not to change NAWAC's mind as the die is cast with you all.

IMO, the only real "fact" in play is that no one really knows what these things really are, classificationwise.

When (if) someone is successful in killing one, remember this when the SHTF.

"The date of the encounter was May 9, 1981 about 10:00 am and I was fly-fishing for redeye and smallmouth bass on the south branch of the Patapsco River approximately 1 mile downstream from Rt.32 near Sykesville, Maryland. The weather was sunny and slightly breezy and the air temperature was in the low 60’s. This section of river flattens out into riffles then empties into a larger pool, an area I had fished several times previously."

post-447-0-85782300-1399645975_thumb.jpg