It Will Not Make Any Difference

Midnight Owl

I stated in a past forum subject about 2 years ago, that I personally didn't feel the much anticipated release of the DNA study report would make much of an impact and it seems to be true.  Not much has changed in the Bigfoot world since then except for one group changing their name!

With that said, I have seen a number of folks shift towards the shooting of one of these giants of the forest to prove-for what ever reason-they do exist.  Be it purely a scientific endeavor ( I don't really believe that in most cases) or just a big ego to be the one who finds the Holy Grail of proof and obtains fame and possible fortune that may follow.

In my opinion, if and when that does happen, I feel this will have little total impact for a number of reasons.  Probably the greatest one is that it will probably happen to someone or a group quite unprepared to deal with it with no plan of action in place.  Seeking help, someone will tip off the media or other parties early and at some point the state or feds will show up and confiscate the body.  The skeptics will then be out in full force and once again nothing changes.

I don't have a dog in this fight one way or the other.  I have seen these elusive subjects on multiple occasions and know they exist.  Other than pure self defense, I also wouldn't dare trying to kill one.  Yes, they can be brought down, documented stories support this and I have also spoken with people that shot them while being charged.  One was brought down, the other fled and eventually bled out died.  Both times involved people who had no idea they existed and were not connected with the Bigfoot interests at the time.  They were so shaken and freaked out after seeing these subjects up close they kept it to themselves for years.

Again, it may sound like a convenient story to the skeptic, but its the truth anyway.

If and when it happens again, I say nothing will change and the controversy will continue to roll on...just my opinion .

M.O.    

Guest JiggyPotamus

I completely agree with you on these points. What we know of regarding things that could go wrong is probably just a portion of what could potentially go wrong, or will. I mean it sounds relatively straightforward...If bigfoot is out there, go and shoot it. But as you pointed out, it is not so simple. Only a fraction of those attempting to shoot a bigfoot, and I have no idea how many people that is, are likely to have some sort of feasible plan in place. Even if there is no government coverup, and those who oversee wildlife in the US truly are ignorant of such an animal, the thing could still potentially be confiscated considering they would want to study it first. That is just one reason why handling the situation in a specific manner is important, and why one must leave themselves some "outs." Or maybe the police would confiscate it.

There is even the possibility that you go to the media and get images of a body broadcast on television, at which point the authorities could notice what is going on, swoop in and confiscate the thing, and then just release a statement saying it was a hoax. They will say they came down to verify it, and it turned out to be fake. You will have the people from the media saying that it was authentic, but there is no proof.

So whether one wishes to admit it or not, proof of bigfoot is reliant on the cooperation or willingness of authorities. You cannot study what has been taken away. I am playing up this particular idea so heavily because I believe it is one of the major obstacles that one could potentially face. I won't elaborate on all the other things that could go wrong, as I believe I have done so in other posts, and there is plenty of things haven't even been considered. If there are a ton of things that could go wrong, and few bigfoot are shot every year, then what are the chances of a body making its way to the public? I wouldn't think they would be good, but it should occur at some point. And of course this is assuming the person who shoots the animal wishes to come forward.

It should also be noted however that there are no claims, at least to my knowledge, of authorities actually confiscating a body from someone. So perhaps that is good news. I remember reports of police removing them from the road on one or two occasions, but I could be wrong about that as well. It seems like it would have happened at some point though.

Guest keninsc

Of course it made no impact. The study was and is flawed from beginning to end.

They'd have gotten more credibility had they self-edited themselves and reworked their methodology. There are reasons that there is a scientific method.

SSR Team

I wouldn't be surprised and think it has happened to people in the past to people that have been totally unprepared, then whatever happened happened.

But I can assure you that if certain groups were to drop one, there would most certainly be no issue about "making an impact".

If the "right" people drop one, you'd have yourself a specimen that simply won't go away and you'd then have scientific acceptance of this animal, no danger whatsoever.

Whether you agree with that route of doing things is a completely different argument altogether however.

^ I think it's much easier to publish when the little bit you have is also claimed to be of an extinct organisim. We like to believe we are the only extant hominin because it allows us to draw a distinction between us and everything else, which justifies what we do to other living things for our own perceived benefit most of time.  I think Jiggy is right on this one.

Edited by southernyahoo

If and when it happens again, I say nothing will change and the controversy will continue to roll on...just my opinion .

M.O.    

100% correct! If all someone has is a story of killing a bigfoot, that will change nothing since there are already plenty of similar tales. Sorry, but we need more than stories.

^ I think it's much easier to publish when the little bit you have is also claimed to be of an extinct organisim. We like to believe we are the only extant hominin because it allows us to draw a distinction between us and everything else, which justifies what we do to other living things for our own perceived benefit most of time. I think Jiggy is right on this one.

That's just a conspiracy theory.

But I will say the Project Grendel has contingency plans in place to blunt that threat should a type specimen be harvested.

But in my opinion.......nobody has made Dyer disappear or his glass case.

Guest keninsc

Dyer is a joke, a circus side show at best and a pathological liar. Anyone who'd put any stock in him is completely out of their mind. 

Absolutely......

But the MIB have not checked the veracity of his claim either. Try that by claiming you have a thermal nuclear device!!

Obviously squatch is rather low on the MIB's list of priorities.

SSR Team

To be fair Norse, they don't need to after the freezer episode as if we know it's all BS, they sure do too.

Of course it made no impact. The study was and is flawed from beginning to end.

They'd have gotten more credibility had they self-edited themselves and reworked their methodology. There are reasons that there is a scientific method.

My take on it is that Erickson was done funding the project which only existed because he funded it, spending a fortune on it. They had to put up or shut up when they weren't ready. Ketchum was of course center stage then and tore appart by the bigfoot community and just didn't know how to ignore all of that crazy attention. I don't think most people really understand just how viscous and cutthroat the bigfoot field really is, nor how touchy(or rather untouchable) the subject is with science(A possible career ending interest), clearly that group of people didn't quite grasp that.

Great input folks, right on the money...which really makes this forum...thanks!

I'm not to sure of any differences either. I realize most shooters claim species and habitat protection as a motive but wonder how many have ever attempted to win protection for land, public or private for any other species, including ours.  I suspect it's become even more difficult since last I was in that game.  If SSQ exists, they must be quite adaptable, able to weather all the last 500 yrs has wrought. I'm doubtful this adaptability will work in their favor with regards to habitat preservation. Reports don't suggest SSQ requires a jeopardized fragile ecosystem. If habitat protection is really what's wanted, the SSQ, who seem quite fine without our "help" share their domain with many known species whose cause could be championed without killing anything, win-win.

There are oodles of non profit/for purpose land trusts and conservation groups out there. If protected habitat is the goal the mechanisms are already in place.

Of course that does nothing to quell the ages old archetypal drive to slay monsters...

Not sure why folks think habitat protection would follow discovery. I tend to think the powers that be may concede a tiny relic population and despite certain scientists showing evidence otherwise, the opposition would fund studies to refute. A bit like the climate change scenario.

A type specimen collection impact study would be a good idea. I wouldn't trust entrenched establishment values to budge an inch for a few hairy bipeds. It would be a shame to kill one and not be certain of supposed goals outside of existence.

Edited by Kiwakwe

That's just a conspiracy theory.

But I will say the Project Grendel has contingency plans in place to blunt that threat should a type specimen be harvested.

But in my opinion.......nobody has made Dyer disappear or his glass case.

Jiggy wasn't talking about making the shooter disappear, it was about control of the specimen. and as he said  

So whether one wishes to admit it or not, proof of bigfoot is reliant on the cooperation or willingness of authorities.

I would add the academics in that mix as authorities. I know you have to be thinking about that and what coarse of action "they" decide to take.