Sign in to follow this  
gershake

Vermont Trail Cam Picture Revealed

Person in a ghillie suit? If it is a sqautch, what are the white patches on its back, what is the black, snake-like object below and the paw-like stuff? Inconclusive. But thank's for sharing!

slabdog

Steve:

Can you please post all 4 images (full, non cropped images) from that night so that we can look at and compare each of the coyote pics as well as the pic in question?

Also:

Do you know the settings that he had that game cam set at that night? For example: what the minimum duration of time between pictures that it would take?

Slabdog

too bad this guy didn't have a game cam of this quality...

CDY_0017.jpg

ohh well...

:(

Edited by slabdog

Bring on the red circles! What the heck is THIS? It's not in the coyote or comparison photos.

RedCircle.jpg

Maybe this is better. I was talking about the stick-like object.

RedCircle2.jpg

It appears to me that it is one "animal" and that it is squatting. It also looks like it is carrying something (foilage) in its right arm, with the right arm braced across the stomach. It also looks like the right hand is clenched.

Wheellug

Little squatch beneath?

Small right hand clutching the bigger arm..

Small left hand seen just below/right of the right arm/shoulder.

Small squatch foot in the first red circle pic..

??

What the heck is THIS?
I was talking about the dark stick-like object at the bottom.

I dunno...call me crazy...maybe a stick??? :lol:

Not really sure...but it has no stitching or patterns on it, like a shoe, boot or sneaker would.

Slab the camera reset was on one minute.

I'll be setting up some new pages on the site late today/tonight.

I'll have the entire set there.

slabdog

Bring on the red circles! What the heck is THIS? It's not in the coyote or comparison photos.

RedCircle.jpg

OK...how about this for a theory. (Notice I said "theory"...I'm not jumping to any conclusions either way.

Could the dark long object be a snake? Specifically a rat snake (black) which is an inhabitant of Vermont.

P_alleghaniensis_na.jpg

This might fall in line with the "Owl theory" others have brought up

fallen apples = food for both coyotes and mice. (yes...coyotes do sometimes eat apples as I understand)

Fallen apples attract mice, which in turn attract predators such as coyotes, snakes and owls.

Owl sees snake, realizes it is a much bigger meal than a measly ol' mouse, and swoops down on said snake.

The stick theory really doesn't seem to resonate with me, simply because of the very dark color of the stick...but I am sure there is a Vermont tree expert out there who will tell me there is a native tree with very dark / black wood.

Another thing that whispers "owl" in my ear is the fact that if you really look closely at the target object, and imagine a line running straight down the "spine" of the "owl"...there is a lot of symmetry on either side. Not 100% symmetrical mind you, but the curve of the "wings" do appear somewhat symmetrical.

Again,I am not falling either way at this point....just digesting and throwing out thoughts.

Slabdog.

Edited by slabdog

bipedalist

Well I'd say belt or snake. If it's an owl, snake. If it's somebody hoaxing I'd say belt :( . Owls do eat large four legged and slithering things though.....so it would def. fit the owl hypothesis. If it's BF/Sasquatch I haven't a clue.

The shadow is wrong for something (owl) to be that close to the camera. And if it was, as we have seen in the past on multiple occasions here, the subject would have been washed out by the IR.

Besides the PhD. saying it wasn't such...I do not see feathers. And it's blur was not significant enough to indicate a struggle or flight.

But... keep it rolling.

See what we're going to do is use some of these hypotheses and run them through some tests. That's what a good debate is about.

And please do not think by any means I am taking this personally because I am not.

And although some are on the fence some are convinced and some are not... this is what this forum is all about, debating, talking, discussing and now we can take this discussion to actually field testig some of it. And I appreciate the reactions of not coming down on me for putting this picture out there. I think it needed to be.

I think in the long run, regardless of how it turns out, it may just better our understanding of how trail cams work and their limitations in a practical rather than academic sense.

slabdog

But... keep it rolling.

See what we're going to do is use some of these hypotheses and run them through some tests. That's what a good debate is about.

And please do not think by any means I am taking this personally because I am not.

And although some are on the fence some are convinced and some are not... this is what this forum is all about, debating, talking, discussing and now we can take this discussion to actually field testig some of it. And I appreciate the reactions of not coming down on me for putting this picture out there. I think it needed to be.

Well put!

Because, honestly, I don't know where I stand.

I do know one thing: I truly appreciate your efforts, your positive approach and openness to a healthy back and forth discussion on the matter as we try to figure out what this object is.

Despite the debate, you are still the one actually out there in the trenches while the rest of us (most of us..in all fairness) are simply sitting at our computers.

Thanks again Steve! And I truly mean that.

Slabdog

BDK

If its a very recent pic I doubt snake, its still too chilly at night in PA that I doubt being that many more miles North they'd be out and about it.

It looks like whatever it is was off camera sitting nursing the smaller creature and went to stand up using its one forearm. But thats just my guess.

I've spent alot of time trying to determine what it isn't. The owl concept was my first thought to debunk this one as well gigantor.

The problem is, whatever it is, it's on the ground, and a good distance from the camera according to the photo expert. So, the owl explanation "doesn't fly".

The mass would seem to indicate something large but the "bear" explanation doesn't fit either. Shoulders are too broad and there's no ear(s) sticking up on the possible head area.

The most disturbing thing I have seen when I tried to debunk the photo is that there seems to be another smaller something hanging on the front of the big something. It looks to me that there are some sort of digits touching the ground from the "small thing" These digits are pretty easy to make out to my eye but I don't know if we're looking at fingers or toes?

I see them too. They're rather hard to miss, and this pic is high resolution enough to really put a zoom on... I think the awkward pose is due in part to the whatever shifting position as it leans to it's right (away from camera).

One thing for sure, there's no way in H*ll that's a bear...the anatomy is clearly bipedal primate...so real deal or hoax?

post-458-026722000 1303138828_thumb.gif

Were never going to get a perfect picture, so i like the pic for what it is.

I will definitely agree with this, Tracker. I don't know for sure what is in this picture.... but I don't think it was any kind of a hoax.

After playing all year last, with my Bushnell Trophy cam.. I came to the conclusion, that I'm certainly not going to get a pecfect still photo (of anything) at night. Everything that moved, or wandered by... was a blur. I decided to use it at night, only in the movie mode..for around 15 seconds, and the results...were much, much better, and never ran out of space on the SD card, yet.

Gigantor (and others) , I can see how this could be seen as an owl, and something else (but what?) underneath. Yes, I think there are two subjects in the photo...but not an owl (or large bird) nearer to the camera. Since I've never seen a squatch close up, I personally do not have a comparison. Even if I did, it would be somewhat difficult, which the motion blur factor.

I'll continue to say.. it is still, the most interesting trail cam photo, I've ever seen...and leave it alone, at that..and wait for possible further analysis, by others. Thanks again, Frank.. for having the courage to bring this photo forward, and to Steve and Chris...for making it happen on your show.

Best of luck in your on going investigations, and hope to hear more interesting things come out of this area, in Vermont.

Sign in to follow this