kitakaze

Thoughts About Munns' Book - " When Roger Met Patty "

JustCurious

OK, then who is K. Borowski?

JustCurious

Ah, never mind, I found him. He is Karl Borowski - Camera Operator  I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region.  (Interesting what one chooses to quote).  For anyone else like myself who doesn't know the background, Borowski was responding to a request for information from a cinematography forum about determining aperture on John Green's camera.  Borowski was making the assumption that Bill Munns was working form a poor quality 3rd-4th generation copy of the PGF in trying to make his determination.  All that Borowski is saying is that Bill Munns needs to try to get the camera original to make a 100% accurate determination. He later concedes that a 1st generation copy might suffice. Below is another quote by the same person:

Curious about this footage, I looked it up on YouTube, which only makes poor-quality imagery worse.

From what I saw, it looks, well, real enough.

My big problem is the obviously excessive shake and the mere fact of the matter that the cameraman clearly could have caught up with whatever it was.

Also, why didn't he keep following him?

If you watch what is, allegedly the entire contact print of the roll, there is some other ridiculous stuff on there, not conducive with being out in the woods to photograph nature.

Back on topic though, why isn't the original negative or reversal original available? Everything seems to be from bad dupes of the original.

When the footage is that poor, shakey, and out-of-focus to begin with, having access to the original, not a 4K of the original but the actual original would solve all of your questions, Bill.

If you can't get at the original, do you think that someone who does have access to it might be able to go in and actually measure the camera frame aperture size?

The whole thread is here: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=39616

Edited by JustCurious

^

Thank you for that. From his comments there he doesn't seem too informed about the circumstances, such as Patterson having to cross a creek and 2 rocky banks before he was able to steady himself on the sandbar. Etc. I don't know if he became informed later.

JustCurious

Well, Bill Munns kept trying to stay away from discussion of the film subject because he was there for a specific purpose related to film itself, not what was ON the film.  Plus, his question was related to John Green's filming of McClarin. 

salubrious

Moderator Statement:

Gentlemen! Please limit your discussion to Bill Munn's book.

Bill

It should be noted that I did examine the camera original film of Green's filming of Jim McClarin, not a copy. The 4K scans were off the original.

:)

Bigfoothunter

^^

What a wasted opportunity for so many who after so many years and now that John has reached the end if his life they only now seek information that was sitting tucked away (yet always  available) on a shelf in John  Green's home.

Edited by Bigfoothunter