So... Renae Of ' Finding Bigfoot ' Now Admits She Believes Bigfoot Exist

Bonehead74

Hello DWA,

Yeah, me too. That song came out three years AFTER I read "Abominable Snowmen- Legend Comes to Life" by Ivan T. Sanderson as a young teen.

Edited by hiflier

I can live with that. At least she had the courage to admit something. She's come a long way baby. Like most here, I think Finding Bigfoot is a joke, but I love any and all things Sasquatch related, so I watch this, and laugh along at their shenanigans.

Well yeah, gotta say, that is a step.  Whether it's off the dock and into the deep end is gonna be interesting to find out.

You should report this thread if you feel it's in violation.

Religious discussions do not bother me -- I support free speech.  I just wonder when the prohibition was lifted.

Personally I think spirituality and religion are two very different things.

I don't think Renae was talking about communicating with dead people:

Definition of spiritualism (n)
Bing Dictionary
  • spir·i·tu·al·ism 
  • [ spírrichoo É™ lìzzÉ™m ]
  1. belief in communication with dead people: the belief that the spirits of dead people can communicate with the living, especially through mediums
  2. practices of communicating with dead people: the practices used among people who believe that communication occurs between the dead and the living
  3. religious beliefs emphasizing spiritual matters: a system of belief that emphasizes the spiritual nature of existence

I didn't have defs one or two in mind.  And that 3. represents a vocab fail.  Read it without the word "religious" and now it's right.

One might also argue that "spiritualism" and "spirituality" are different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Traditionally spirituality has been defined as a process of personal transformation in accordance with religious ideals. Since the 19th century spirituality is often separated from religion, and has become more oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth. It may refer to almost any kind of meaningful activity or blissful experience, but without a single, widely-agreed definition.

Yep.

Edited by DWA

I think this is the definition of the word she that she was using:

spir·it·u·al
ˈspiriCHo͞oəl/
adjective
adjective: spiritual
of, relating to, or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

"Spirit" would probably have been a better choice, but neither case was getting into "religion".

spir·it
ˈspirit/
noun
noun: spirit; plural noun: spirits
the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
"we seek a harmony between body and spirit"
synonyms: soul, psyche, (inner) self, inner being, inner man/woman, mind, ego, id;
"harmony between body and spirit"

I didn't have defs one or two in mind.

Neither did I or Renae, so the three of us are in agreement.

And that 3. represents a vocab fail.  Read it without the word "religious" and now it's right.

Omitting the word, 'religious,' doesn't alter the definition, unless you believe in non-religious spiritualism that has nothing to do with talking to dead people.

One might also argue that "spiritualism" and "spirituality" are different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Traditionally spirituality has been defined as a process of personal transformation in accordance with religious ideals. Since the 19th century spirituality is often separated from religion, and has become more oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth. It may refer to almost any kind of meaningful activity or blissful experience, but without a single, widely-agreed definition.

Yep.

Yes, 'spirituality' can be a vague word:

Definition of spirituality (n)
Bing Dictionary
synonyms: holiness Â· religiousness · devoutness · piety Â· unworldliness · sanctity
  • spir·i·tu·al·i·ty
  • [ spìrrichoo állÉ™tee ]
  •  
  1. spiritual quality: the quality or condition of being spiritual
  2. church property or revenue: the property or revenue belonging to a church or church official

But, that is not the word Renae used.  She used 'spiritual' twice, 'spirit' once, stated her belief in a 'higher power,' and said her belief is aligned with that of Native Americans.

1. Definition of spiritual (adj)
    Bing Dictionary
    synonyms: religious Â· holy Â· sacred Â· divine Â· heavenly Â· saintly
    • spir·i·tu·al
    • [ spírrichoo É™l ]
    •  
    1. of soul: relating to the soul or spirit, usually in contrast to material things
    2. of religion: relating to religious or sacred things rather than worldly things
    3. temperamentally or intellectually akin: connected by an affinity of the mind, spirit, or temperament

I'm sure she wasn't referring to her, Native Americans', or bigfoots' souls, and I doubt she was implying that she is tempermentally or intellectualy connected with bigfoots.  In fact, she claims they are non-worldly.  Her stated belief in a higher power clearly categorizes her statement as a testimony of religious faith:

1. Definition of religious (adj)
    Bing Dictionary
    • re·lig·ious
    • [ ri líjjÉ™ss ]
    •  
    1. relating to religion: relating to belief in religion, the teaching of religion, or the practice of a religion
    2. believing in a higher being: believing in and showing devotion or reverence for a deity or deities
    3. thorough: very thorough or conscientious

Oh, not questioning what Ranae is saying.  Just whether "religious" is what I'd call it.  As vague as 'spirituality' can be, and I think we're showing that, she is definitely asserting a belief that this isn't a flesh and blood animal we have here.  I guess that "higher power" could be seen to imply an it/us hierarchy which could be classified pretty easily as a religious belief.  I'm just not thinking that Ranae saying she goes with Native Americans on the spiritual nature of Bigfoot is so much a "religious discussion" in the way I think the term is contemplated here.

On which my only comment is that that's gonna kinda hurt her credibility as a skeptic, as one would at the very least expect a skeptic to demand more evidence for a claim like this one, never mind an ape that leaves footprints.  If one is accepting things on faith, I automatically have a problem with their grasp of evidence, particularly when their statements ("why would a bigfoot do [something that reports indicate they in fact do...and my experience tells me other animals do too]...") show me they aren't considering it.

I'm thinking we have a situation here in which the prohibition on religious discussions can be skirted, as long as we aren't slinging brickbats.

Edited by DWA