Sw Wa Field Work

SWWASAS

I flew up to Port Townsend today.     Smoke not so bad through central WA but  was getting bad with low visibilities in Southern WA.      Supposed to get some rain this weekend but it might not get to the worst fires which are further East.   I keep hoping to see a BF flipping me off when I fly over.    No such luck yet but I did not even have a camera with me today so probably a good thing it did not happen.     That would have been really frustrating.   

How was the flight? Did you follow I-5 and over Hood Canal or do you fly more inland or west over coast range?

On my way home today on SR 14 I saw an interesting cloud coming off the top of Mt Hood. At first It looked like the mountain was venting out the pointed top kinda like a tornado shape bent to the north, as i watched it would break away at the base and then reform. I watched this for as long as I could see the mountain, it would form break away and reform. It would have been a great time lapsed video, I'm sure it was caused the incoming front / weather change.

BFF Patron

I went direct to Olympia then direct to Port Townsend.      Last portion took me up the hood canal.    I use GPS for most of my flying so really other than looking out the window at the sights do not really navigate from looking at the ground.   Have an I pad that generates flight software and a moving map.      Could really fly blind with the setup but it would not be legal.     But a flight over foggy terrain in the winter is legal if the airplane stays in the clear.      I avoid being much further West on the Olympics because they are nasty mountains and if the engine quit you would have no chance of survival.  

The mountains can really generate some interesting lenticular clouds.      They are of interest to aviators because if you fly into one it can be severe turbulence.     The same processes that squeeze the moisture out of the air and form clouds will squeeze airplanes too.