Sw Wa Field Work

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

I lost a lot of my aerial pictures when my computer died recently.       I had a video I took as I did a tour around Skamania County.   Pretty much the whole county as seen from the air.    Starting at the South along the Columbia gorge and going counterclockwise around the county.  Lost the whole thing.      I have a few left that I had backed up.   This first picture is Ape Canyon on the East flank of St Helens.     

post-23549-0-94673900-1434899204_thumb.j

Here is a view of St Helens you don't see much.  

post-23549-0-41570300-1434899308_thumb.j

Rainer taken from the flank of St Helens. 

post-23549-0-68658400-1434899526_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

great photos SWW. I love the aerial shots. One of my favorite things is google earth. I love to use the flight simulator.

I guess I should have went for a pilot's license when I was younger. My first small plane ride was with Wally Olson when I was about 12. Me and a couple friends saved our allowances to take a scenic flight with Wally. Not sure if you knew him. We also went up with Evelyn a few times, they were some great pilots and great people.

Sorry got a little side tracked, thanks again keep posting the areal shots, Love them.

BFF Patron

I met Wally once. Did not really know him. He is kind of a legend for the pilots in the area.

Rainer taken from the flank of St Helens. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0164.JPG

I see it from the other side, from my deck, when the sky is transparent enough. Quite the hill, even at 132 miles (although in Canada we are supposed to say 212 km).

BFF Patron

As here you have some others to look past to see that far. You can imagine what early trappers and explorers thought when they entered the West and saw snow covered peaks in the summer.

As here you have some others to look past to see that far. You can imagine what early trappers and explorers thought when they entered the West and saw snow covered peaks in the summer.

I remember what I thought when I first saw summer snow capped peaks as I was heading West in 1970 - seeing the Canadian Rockies for the first time. Cliched, but I was awestruck. My idea of the west prior to that was that there was this single range, the Rockies, one mountain thick, and then a drop to the Pacific. So badly informed!

BFF Patron

In Canada it gets interesting when you hit the Rockies headed West. The US has some flat spots between the Rockies and the Cascades but Canada not so much. My perspective is probably different than most people having flown for a living for about 38 years. Even to this day I am amazed at how different an area I know very well on the ground looks when I see it from the air. It, many times, is like you are looking at a different place.

Thanks for the great pictures Randy.

Here's a couple of government installations SW of Mt St Helens. The one is a solar powered seismic station. The bunker I have no idea what it is. But whatever is in there must be propane powered. post-24465-0-26548700-1435087924_thumb.j

post-24465-0-18351800-1435088457_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Divergent1

I'm not totally serious when I say this so take it with a grain of salt. I was reading some books by Stephen Young and in one of those books tere is a NA man living on one of the islands off the coast of BC that swears he worked with super soldiers to re -acclimate them to regular life. According to his stories the Feds have these kinds of installations strung out in remote places that create time loops or wells as a means of cloaking black ops facilities. According to this man it is done where there are already weaknesses in the fabric of time but it could be that these facilities create the bleed through once they are operational allowing things to be seen like bigfoot and mothman. I just happened to be reading these books when SWWASP posted his photos of the tower and now this bunker thing. It's probably coincidental.

Edited by Divergent1

The first picture was P705 GPS. The bunker was B203 Seismometer. Both are west of Goat mountain. The GPS is not where it shows. I actually saw it on Google Earth when I was checking the area out but I couldn't figure out what it was. It is a little harder to get to. The bunker was right along the main road into there. Interesting link there Dave.

BFF Patron

The white dome on the small tower is a GPS antenna.     Part of the seismic network is to measure ground elevations and determine if the ground is rising or falling.     They use military grade GPS equipment that can measure elevations down to inches.     There are a couple of places in Oregon and California where the ground is being inflated from down below.    One place of great concern was the super volcano site on the East side of the Sierra Nevada in Southern California.  The Mammoth Mountain area started inflating a few years ago.     We saw how important that was with Mt St Helens.     I am not sure why one of the locations would need propane unless there is so much snow fall they cannot keep the solar panels clear of snow in the winter.     

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Maybe it's just more dependable than solar. The GPS station was about a thousand feet higher elevation than the seismic station but it was solar.

BFF Patron

Solo field work yesterday.     Word of warning for anyone that does field work on SW WA.    The road past Sunset Falls Campground is a mess.   They are working on it and it is all torn up the last 10 miles up to the campground.      Expect 1/2 hour delays and a pilot car situation.   And they are using a method of road construction that will get you rushing home to wash your vehicle.     They dump gravel on the road,   then about a 4 to 5 inch layer of uncured concrete powder (Portland Cement), which they have you drive through as they are working on it,  then  dump more gravel on top of the concrete powder, and use a giant rototiller thing that adds water and mixes the gravel with the concrete right on the road.    So you get through the area and your vehicle will be covered with concrete powder and possibly wet concrete.   A drop of water on your car, and you a concrete coated car.    I left and went straight to a car wash.   That has to be bad for the brakes too. 

Nothing of note in the area of Jack Mountain.     Hot, dry, and any smart BF would be down by the water someplace else.      All the small creeks in the area that normally have water earlier in the year were dried out.    Strong skunk smell in one area but nothing to tie that to BF.    There is skunk cabbage in that area too.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT