How Often Are Bf Involved In David Paulides Missing 411 Stories?

I think a much more likely culprit than bears would be mountain lions. Over recent decades, they have reclaimed much of the USA as their habitat. I'm ecstatic to have such a spectacular animal making a comeback in this country... but it does add a whole new element to entering the woods at night.

Bears, especially black bears, rarely bother with people unless encroached upon. Mountain lions are usually quick to beat a retreat too, but they have a somewhat more extensive record of stalking people than bears do. Not to mention, it's possible that, as they reclaim habitat they've been absent from for over a century, they find that deer and other game they once fed heavily upon dont exist in the numbers they used to, and are forced to find alternate food sources.

Yikes Twice, and a plus 1 for you from me. I am talking to my kids about some of the ideas you and others have posted because they will at least listen, I hope, since I will explain that these ideas have come from *experienced* hikers and woodsmen/ladies who know what they are talking about!

I *truly* appreciate each and every one of you. Seriously, you guys and gals *Rock*!

I hope you aren't discouraging your kids from enjoying the outdoors, simply because you and a few others here, think there are Type 1 through Type 3 Bigfoots running around in the woods.  Seriously.  That is sad.

• Upvote 3

Not to mention, it's possible that, as they reclaim habitat they've been absent from for over a century, they find that deer and other game they once fed heavily upon dont exist in the numbers they used to, and are forced to find alternate food sources.

Curious if there's any areas in the USA without an overabundance of deer population.

Edited by Incorrigible1

I hope you aren't discouraging your kids from enjoying the outdoors, simply because you and a few others here, think there are Type 1 through Type 3 Bigfoots running around in the woods.  Seriously.  That is sad.

Absolutely not, my kids hike and camp; they grew up with us taking them hiking and camping; all I want is for them to be aware of the genuine potential dangers that exist in the forests, and to take  precautions such as using the emergency locators on all of the kids and parents who are hiking.  To me, that seems like an excellent idea, plus I love it, and I hope the kids will listen. I'll even buy the blooming things if they promise to wear them.

Curious if there's any areas in the USA without an overabundance of deer population.

The overabundance is a result of man exterminating large predators from the landscape. Overabundance does not necessarily mean that the ecosystem is balanced. I suspect that a larger population density of deer means that the existing deer are probably a bit less healthy than in an unaltered population. It's a phenomenon that is often observed with, say, fish in a farm pond. More fish = smaller, skinnier fish, and much easier transmission of disease.

Of course, this is speculation.

Bears and mountain lions don't carry people 12 miles then leave them unmolested.

Oh, I didnt realize they were recovered intact... my understanding was that they were found basically in fragments. I havent done enough research into the Paulides Missing 411 case(s) to really have what I would consider a good grasp of this particular facet of squatchology.

The fact the primordial forest has been reduced to such an extent is another major reason for the large deer overpopulation. Far more deer will live in cleared forest and mixed terrain than can exist in dense, hardwood forests. Fields of crops and produce is another.

The fact mountain lions are again regaining their old territory doesn't necessarily mean a substantial reduction in deer populations.

I appreciate your contribution to the thread and your input, but don't agree that deer don't exist in the numbers they did during the cougar's existence 100-150 years ago.

http://wildlifecontrol.info/deer/Pages/Populations.aspx

"In the early 1900's there were an estimated 500,000 white-tailed deer in the   United States.  Unregulated commercial hunting and subsistence hunting threatened to eliminate the white-tailed deer from much of its range.  At that time, many state wildlife agencies were formed with the goal of conserving the nation's depleted wildlife resources.  Hunting regulations were put into place, and the harvest of antlerless (female) deer was prohibited.  The rebound of white-tailed deer populations that followed is considered a wildlife management success story.  Today there are over 20chdp101.jpg million deer in the United States and numbers are rising.  Successful management was one of the keys to increasing populations.  However, other key factors have contributed as well.  Around the turn of   the century, large predators such as wolves and mountain lions, were eliminated from much of the white-tails range, removing the natural check on deer numbers.  More recently, habitat changes, including reversion of abandoned farm fields to forest, and human population shifts to rural and suburban areas, have created mosaics of open and forested land ideal for deer.  In addition to habitat changes, landowner decisions to prevent hunting have limited hunter access to many areas, allowing populations to increase."

Edited by Incorrigible1

Bears and mountain lions don't carry people 12 miles then leave them unmolested.

And not a shread of evidence that bigfoot does this either.

Oh, I didnt realize they were recovered intact... my understanding was that they were found basically in fragments. I havent done enough research into the Paulides Missing 411 case(s) to really have what I would consider a good grasp of this particular facet of squatchology.

The first rule of intelligent discussion of a subject is a familiarity with the source material. I say this not to be snarky, but to draw attention to the fact that many here, in this thread and others, freely opine about the Missing 411 books, when it is obvious by their comments that they have read little to none of the books themselves. While I myself don't agree with all of Paulides' conclusions, I do think he is onto something strange. Instead of legitimate criticism, though, I see a lot of the setting up and demolishing of straw men in regards to the books.

And not a shread of evidence that bigfoot does this either.

Exactly. I've said repeatedly that I don't believe bigfoot are responsible.

Edited by Bonehead74

The fact the primordial forest has been reduced to such an extent is another major reason for the large deer overpopulation. Far more deer will live in cleared forest and mixed terrain than can exist in dense, hardwood forests. Fields of crops and produce is another.

The fact mountain lions are again regaining their old territory doesn't necessarily mean a substantial reduction in deer populations.

I appreciate your contribution to the thread and your input, but don't agree that deer don't exist in the numbers they did during the cougar's existence 100-150 years ago.

http://wildlifecontrol.info/deer/Pages/Populations.aspx

"In the early 1900's there were an estimated 500,000 white-tailed deer in the   United States.  Unregulated commercial hunting and subsistence hunting threatened to eliminate the white-tailed deer from much of its range.  At that time, many state wildlife agencies were formed with the goal of conserving the nation's depleted wildlife resources.  Hunting regulations were put into place, and the harvest of antlerless (female) deer was prohibited.  The rebound of white-tailed deer populations that followed is considered a wildlife management success story.  Today there are over 20chdp101.jpg million deer in the United States and numbers are rising.  Successful management was one of the keys to increasing populations.  However, other key factors have contributed as well.  Around the turn of   the century, large predators such as wolves and mountain lions, were eliminated from much of the white-tails range, removing the natural check on deer numbers.  More recently, habitat changes, including reversion of abandoned farm fields to forest, and human population shifts to rural and suburban areas, have created mosaics of open and forested land ideal for deer.  In addition to habitat changes, landowner decisions to prevent hunting have limited hunter access to many areas, allowing populations to increase."

Never did I say that the deer population is less than it used to be. What I did say is that the sharp increase in deer population shows that the ecosystem is not balanced properly, as it was prior to human encroachment.

I would also like to point out that mountain lions dont eat only deer. I dont know a whole lot about mountain lion nutritional needs, but many animals, predatory, foraging, grazing, whatever it may be... will become unhealthy if they subsist on only one food source.

Yes.   While the whiletailed deer population east of the Mississippi has risen to problematic levels in some areas, mule deer numbers in the intermountain west are below historical norms.  Along the west coast, the blacktailed deer numbers are down considerably. 

There are a number of factors accounting for the difference including differences in the amount of public vs private land, how each is managed, and public access to each.  Different species of deer accommodate human activity with unequal results.   The west seems especially hard hit by severe winters and drought.   We also have predator management problems where public vote driven by emotion has overridden the judgement of professional wildlife managers.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but I'm not aware of a location where the sasquatch seem to be particularly detrimental to deer herd numbers. 

I would like to hear Coonbo or Branco weigh in since they're from areas I'm least familiar with.

MIB

Coonbo and Branco are from the Middle West, where deer populations have exploded. In my state of Nebraska, mule deer populations are down, but are being rapidly replaced by expanding ranges of whitetails.

Jeez, bigfoot aren't being affected by a lack of deer.

There are numerous governmental conspiracy theories that states are importing mountain lions to help alleviate the overabundance of deer. I don't subscribe to such theories, but they're out there, for the googling.

I have lived in NJ where deer were so abundant people had to put armor on their trees to protect them.  Moved back to NC where as a kid I never heard of a deer problem before and am starting to experience the same issue.  Good luck growing azaleas outside the center of a city.  I have had several really strange deer kills on my property over the last couple of years and if it is BF related, GREAT!.  They can have them all as far as I am concerned.  Take the deer, leave the family alone and we will get along great.

I have lived in NJ where deer were so abundant people had to put armor on their trees to protect them.  Moved back to NC where as a kid I never heard of a deer problem before and am starting to experience the same issue.  Good luck growing azaleas outside the center of a city.  I have had several really strange deer kills on my property over the last couple of years and if it is BF related, GREAT!.  They can have them all as far as I am concerned.  Take the deer, leave the family alone and we will get along great.

You have discussed this BF issue with your family relating to odd deer kills? If not, please do so, I would never want any harm to befall your family.