Bigfoot's Hiding Ability Vs Military Special Forces?

georgerm

More fodder for the bigfoot mythos. Not a whit of real evidence the government sends in Special Forces to battle recalcitrant bigfoot, but it sure sounds good. Oh, and none of them will speak out because, well, because. Piled higher and deeper.

I can say for sure it was never one of our missions..

Never heard any Delta boys talking about it either..

Ranger batts?.. nope.

I doubt I missed it either.

What, only two paranormalists respond on the first page?   No one going to defend their beliefs on the super-human/paranormal abilities of a creature that that defecates on itself, eats road kill, and runs on all fours?  Come on guys, support your position....

Lets look at that.

When does a special forces soldier begin training?   Age 18 or so after high school, after basic training, after 3 phases of special forces training, and then a tour of duty lasts typically 6-8 months.   Even if they re-enlist, they're getting less than 50% of their time in the field ... and it's likely in preparation for desert warfare, NOT temperate rain forest training.   Even on duty it's not all evasion training, there's all manner of skills to work on and maintenance of all kinds of gear to learn.

Bigfoot ... evasion begins at birth.  24x7, 365 days a year, every day of their life, no furlough, with only the gear they're born in. 

Yardstick:  If the average person is a kindergartner, special forces are about 3 grade, and bigfoot is working on his 3rd PhD.  To seriously expect a level-ish playing field regarding stealth, when they decide to be stealthy, points towards a person not really paying attention to what the question means.

IMHO "of course."  

At the same time, they're not a military unit, they have to forage for food, they have goofy teenagers doing goofy teenager things like playing chicken with cars at night, they have personal curiosity and seemingly no commander ordering them NOT to investigate the little hairless ones, so ... they do get seen.  

The comparison doesn't work because the motives aren't the same.

Again, IMHO.

MIB

Really good points.

In addition to bigfoot's skills, add no need for a tent during rain storms, sealed meals, canteens, and other gear. Add hearing and sight abilities that is how many times greater than humans?

Sasquatch chronicles has an episode where they talk to an ex SF guy about culling aggressive BF

I would like to hear more about this.

I can say for sure it was never one of our missions..

Never heard any Delta boys talking about it either..

Ranger batts?.. nope.

I doubt I missed it either.

Tell us more Rex.

What makes people think they are forest ninjas?

Patterson and Gimlin and three horses rode right up on one.......

Folks, folks, folks.

It's a wild animal, that no one is looking for, that thousands of people have seen and is leaving tracks all over the place.

If we were in denial about the white-tailed deer its proponents would be doing this woods-ninja jazz about them, and with good reason.  Nothing special about sasquatch that isn't special about anything wild.

Edited by DWA

Hello Mythos,

You are right, I have not heard it.

Sorry guys,  I am limited to 3 posts a day, here is the link:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bigfoothotspot/2014/08/25/sc-ep45-bigfoot-destroyed-my-camper

The entire show is great but, the Special Forces story starts around the 27:00 minute mark.

QUOTE: "It will make you question what you know is real and you know isn't real"...

Hello Mythos,

Absolutely no apologies necessary. We all were once where you are now. Truth be known? It is OUR job to look good for you. Thank you for your follow-up. And for bringing the idea to our attention in the first place. Some of us didn't know about this. At least I sure didn't  :)  

Edited by hiflier

Guest JiggyPotamus

I would not say that everything they do is aimed at avoiding humans. That goal is only secondary. They do what they do, like any other animal, but when they notice a human they simple move away from it. That would explain why some of their behaviors seem counter-intuitive if they were out to avoid us at all costs. I would not say that they live in the woods because humans don't live in the woods, because they've likely lived in the woods since they've been around. The primary benefit of living in such an environment would not be for the cover and concealment it offers, but for the benefits it offers where the basic necessities of survival are concerned. The majority of the food sources, especially if you are carnivorous or omnivorous, are to be found in such a location, and there are also abundant sources of water in the form of rivers and streams.

So perhaps they do not come out of the woods because they do not need to. If this were the case then I would expect that the majority of the time the larger portion of the population are in the woods, while only a small portion venture out, for whatever reason, as individuals spread out across the entire sasquatch habitat. And perhaps we attribute to these animals a degree of elusiveness that they only seem to possess. What I mean is that as a general rule it is more difficult to track something or see something if it is in the woods, because there are more obstacles to impair vision. The color of a bigfoot's hair compounds the problem, as it is a natural camouflage in most instances, and it blends well with the tree trunks that are found in their environment, as well as anything else that is dark. The majority of their hair seems to be dark, and this is not out of place in the forest.

Their ability to hide might often be nothing more than the learned or instinctual behavior of "standing still," as doing this increases their camouflage by first not attracting attention to their location, as well as making them look much more like a tree. Some have claimed that bigfoot sometimes sway gently back and forth, and I've always wondered if this had anything to do with trying to look like a tree in the wind. Probably not, considering a tree that was that large would not move with the wind, but I can think of no logical reason for such behavior...If they even truly do that.

The only real point I wanted to make was that we might be putting too much stock in their elusiveness. They might not care about humans at all, except that they don't wish to have anything to do with us. That is not far-fetched at all, as most wild animals move away from humans, and they do this instinctually. If sasquatch have a natural instinct to do the same thing, which again is logical, then our problems in finding them are compounded by the increased intelligence of a sasquatch when compared to the other animals who exhibit this instinctual behavior.

Addressing your comparison with military special forces, let's first ask ourselves how these soldiers hide in the woods. First they utilize camouflaged clothing. Sasquatch cannot do this, but the majority of them, the white and to a lesser extent the grey ones excluded, naturally have this angle covered. So what else do humans do to increase their woodcraft hiding skills? They might walk slowly and try to make as little noise as possible, they might crouch down to reduce the amount of area that can potentially be seen, and they might remain still in certain situations. We don't know if sasquatch actively attempt to reduce the noise they make, but I do think that a bare foot would make less noise than a hard boot, because the former has more give than the latter, and can absorb more than a hard sole. The Native Americans wore moccasins and it was generally agreed by woodsmen at the time that these were better for activities such as hunting and tracking, probably because they were softer and had more give. So sasquatch thus far seem naturally built for their environment and for concealment.

Do sasquatch crouch and hide behind stuff like a soldier would? I cannot say we know this for certain, but I do not see why they couldn't. If they have even the remotest bit of intelligence they would likely understand that it would be harder for them to be seen if they crouched or laid down. Of course there is some evidence that they do this, including video evidence, but we cannot know if it is authentic. Some eyewitness reports claim that sasquatch engage in such hiding, for what those claims are worth. So it is not unprecedented, and might be accurate. The last thing I mentioned that a soldier might do is remain still, which does not draw attention to oneself. And it should be quite obvious to everyone that when you attempting to hide the worst thing you could do is draw attention to yourself, especially in the woods. If you are in the woods and are wearing camo, or even a solid color that is found in the woods, you are much less likely to be seen if you are still. You could maybe wear bright pink and could avoid detection as long as you didn't move, depending on whether you were standing up or whatever.

Which brings me to another point. Snipers wear ghillie suits because the burlap breaks up the shape of the human body, a shape which the human eye is highly accustomed to, and that it can pick out relatively easily. One might think that a human could pick out a sasquatch shape since they look like us for the most part, but I think this only holds true if the sasquatch are within human sizes. But even if a sasquatch stood straight up, as long as it had trees and some form of cover, it is not likely that a human would see it. If it was standing out in the open, even if it was still, it would be much easier to see it, granted that the distance was not too great. I could go on with other points of this nature, but it seems to me that all of the things that a human could do to increase its ability to hide in the woods is something that sasquatch likely do as well. But they probably do many of these things instinctually, as opposed to them being learned behaviors, or behaviors which they've adopted based on their intelligence. And I do not see it being out of the realm of possibility that such instincts do not mean that sasquatch is any more elusive than any other animal. Most animals have a color that blends well in the forest, and other animals will remain perfectly still to avoid detection. Some will even play dead, lol.

But of course then we would have discovered sasquatch by now. So I suppose there must be some other factor, or that they must be using their intelligence in some manner to avoid us. It would have to be their intelligence. Animals who instinctually avoid us are seen somewhat frequently, so to make up that difference where sasquatch is concerned we would have to say it is intelligence. I am adding this by the way, because I read through my post and realized that I contradicted myself. If they we only using instinct, they would make more mistakes, and be seen more often than they are, like any other animal. I also just realized I have been using the term "instinctually," when I should be saying "instinctively." Haha. I used the word too often to want to go back and alter each instance.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

I certainly think that they have greater evasion and tactical skills than military divisions but I also think that they do get desperate and or careless from time to time.  They do make mistakes like any living thing does.

You know every inch of your home and land so you could avoid a passing person with ease because you know where to hide and when, so does the sasquatch but just like you they do have to live life by hunting, foraging, sleeping, checking on the pesky neighbors and raising offspring.   These activities are where mistakes are made and thus sightings and encounters happen.

BBC documentary on tv this evening in the UK. Two teams of camera crew, tooled-up with the very best infrared/night vision gear within Yala preserve, Sri Lanka. Highest density of leopards on the planet, plus the leopards there are the largest on earth too. After an initial close encounter on day one, they failed to spot a single animal for the subsequent week. Animals are routinely very, very difficult to connect with.

Best thread on the general forum for some time, with these two posts making particularly relevant points in my opinion.

There is an old favourite thread of mine on bigfoot hiding in plain sight that I will link here when I find it. Some of you will already have read it I'm sure but perhaps some won't and it may further more discussion.

Guest Stan Norton

I'd missed Nathan's point and it is a very pertinent one. We hear repeatedly about how a large animal such as sasquatch could not possibly evade us out in 'the woods', as if in one sweeping statement all woodlands are the same generic habitat, understood by all humans. Nothing is further from the truth. Organisms inhabiting such habitats are intimately connected to them and literally know them inside out. With very few exceptions in the modern world, no human can make that claim. Animals carry on daily with the overwhelming majority of their lives entirely missed by humans. Avoidance is second nature.

A few years back, there were some .... let us say an organized group going through mock military maneuvers in one Michigan's lower counties and they reported seeing BF in the area. They reported seeing them watching the activity while eating field corn cob and all. It was also reported that at night, the presence of BF would be enough to keep the coyotes out and away from their encampment and they appreciated that. According to those people, the sightings were so frequent at night they could have easily dispatched one but the BF bothered no one the entire the time they were there ....

I'd missed Nathan's point and it is a very pertinent one. We hear repeatedly about how a large animal such as sasquatch could not possibly evade us out in 'the woods', as if in one sweeping statement all woodlands are the same generic habitat, understood by all humans. Nothing is further from the truth. Organisms inhabiting such habitats are intimately connected to them and literally know them inside out. With very few exceptions in the modern world, no human can make that claim. Animals carry on daily with the overwhelming majority of their lives entirely missed by humans. Avoidance is second nature.

The two biggest whitetail bucks I ever saw in my life were in College Park, MD.  In velvet they looked like elk.  I asked myself, where do these things spend the day?  How do they hide?  You can't help it.

But if you have been around whitetails - or moose, one of which I followed, in Maine, close enough I could count the flies on its backside and then it disappeared - you know that, wherever and however, they do.

There is a population of coyotes and big wild turkeys along with copious hordes of whitetails in my neighborhood.  I see the latter in numbers nowhere near suggesting their abundance; the turkeys on two occasions...and the coyotes not at all.  There is not enough woodland to hide these animals.  THERE IS NOT.

Only, there is.

I should add that, in all the time I have spent exploring off trail in my life - no, you probably have not spent more - I have seen three people.  Together.  In other words, once.

We don't go in the woods, even hunters, for all intents and purposes.

Edited by DWA