Panic Attack In The Woods Is Not Evidence Of Bf Presence

Explorer

Divergent1. ^^^ might be good for me to read up on this. There are a lot of quartz and granite in the geology of my neck of the woods. Seems to be a lot of iron deposits around too.

I am a proponent of going in the field. Alas I do not believe I am anywhere near the field. There are many who believe bigfoot is everywhere. I do not think that. I suspect bigfoot is confined to the northwest USA and some of Canada. I live near none of these places. I mostly see sign of deer and possums and skunks and turkeys. Sometimes coyotes and raccoons.

I've experienced dread before. In the woods, in my house, in my car, in my job, in stores, in a very large etcetera. I don't know if hallucination applies to this matter but it is not necessarily a matter of bigfoot. It could just be nerves. No need to make more if it than that.

I think that folks that aren't used to the woods, much less at night, are much more prone to panic attacks in that situation in general.  (Much like I would be if i was caught in downtown chicago at night!).

I was on a search and rescue/recovery this weekend.  We had a group of 5 with us.  1 of which was a volunteer from a larger metro area.  I don't think this guy spent a minute in the woods in his life.  Simple things such as traversing uneven terrain, or picking his way through a briar patch escaped him.  At one point, he came upon a wood pile and assumed the missing person had found the means to cut and stack wood in an attempt to stay warm.  Had to point out the tractor tire tracks and the fact that many folks use wood for heat in the area and have many stacks of wood on their property.....

anyway..FWIW.

Folks,

I found parts of the original BFF post on panic attacks in the woods in a file that I copied back then.
I don’t have the name of the original poster or date for the post, since my reference was the original BFF post (see link below that does not work anymore).

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/35703-hiya/#entry677537

Back then, I was so intrigued by this witness’ story and he was so detailed in his description of location/event (he even provided GPS coordinates), that I copied the story with the expectation of visiting the area in the future.

While I did not make a copy of all the pages on the original post (with all the back and forth commentary from others), I copied the key comments made by the experiencer/witness.

I want to thank the original witness/experiencer for sharing the story in BFF. What caused these panic episodes on the witness is a mystery.  Who knows?, maybe a BF presence could be the explanation. But, I wanted to acknowledge that there is literature out there suggesting that panic attacks in the woods are un-related to BF presence and have been documented in Europe by Harpur.

A good way to check if the geographic location is the causation (due to geology or something else) is to visit the sites (and the witness graciously provided coordinates).

Below are the posts from the original poster on his Panic Attack experiences in WA and OR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've hiked a lot of OR and WA. Alone, a Lot.
I've seen bear and very fresh cougar tracks; I've hiked precarious trails fit only for goats.

But the one thing that has ever actually "scared me" with gut-wrenching fear, was crossing into some imaginary eco-boundary-line. It has happened to me at least twice, when the resulting fear was very palable. (and once, when I was in some skookum meadows tangles too, but I "shook that one off" as my active imagination. It passed after about 5 minutes. But reappeared out of the blue, about a half hour later.)

Running through those 2 domains, panicked, did not lessen the fear. However it did let me clear the "terriorities" faster, while filling my ears with the sounds of my own tracks and heavy breaths. The woods in these 2 cases were designated wilderness, off the beaten path, and dense enough for plenty of hiding places, plenty of lookouts too. The old discarded patches of the ancient forests.
Imagination is a powerful thing. Infrasound warnings too, apparently (something I knew nothing about at the time.) Clearing the long valley, or swales, and crossing over the next ridgeline, was the what finally restored that "sense of security" to my remaining hike(s) out. Frequently looks over my shoulder, did not reveal the source of my fear. Running into a yearling bear, was less scary than those 2 incidents.

"Dead or death zones" that's a good way to describe the "dread and fear" I felt. Almost radar-like, with that sudden sense of being watched. Part of me was telling me to turn around, find another way out. Part of me was saying don't be silly, it's only the woods, you done this kind of thing a hundred times.

The further I went into the zone, the more I just wanted not to be there -- thus the running.
The one location that was the most intense, was on SE quad of Mt Hood, on the south flank of Zigzag Mountain. Very desolate, and hard to get to.

The other location was on the S side of Mt Adams, in a dense zone descending from the timberline down to a campground trailhead. The trail sort of followed a small creek for at least a mile. Once again a very desolate area, and primative trail. I had only seen 2 people all day, early in the morning. I had thought once I started "descending" (ie got closer to the campground) I'd feel "better". This did not happen, the closer I got to the campground (still about 1.5 miles out) -- the more panicked, I got. It was crossing into a more sparce brush pine ecosystem, that the dread switched off.

Regarding "coordinates"

I can't find my trail maps at the moment, but from Google Earth readings, locations roughly were:

Adams event started:

46 deg 08 hrs 59 min N & 121 deg 31 hrs 03 min W

heading due S, for well over a mile.

Hood Event started:

45 deg 20 hrs 44 min N & 121 deg 49 hrs 53 min W

heading generally SE, for about a mile and a half, to 2 miles.

Also my total dayhike for Adams was 12+ miles, looking at Google Earth, not just he return trip.
I have to add up those "green trails" segments again, to be sure.

Both of these events were very strange. Normally I don't get spooked out in the wild.
The Mt Hood event, I "felt chased" -- and that it might be Bigfoot. During the Mt Adams hike, I was more wary of cougars in the "canyon country," but once I entered the habitat-zone of dread on the desent, which was once again dense patchy forest, was when the sudden thoughts of Bigfoot crossed my mind again. Then I felt "I just had to get the hell out of there, that I over-stayed my welcome." (and there was no other way out here, that I knew of.)

Both days were Photography excursion days. I was not "looking for" Bigfoot, but scenery. Although when I stopped for lunch in Horseshoe Meadows (W flank Adams) early that day -- it dawned on me that this was an "Sasquatch sighting area" and I suddenly felt like eyes were on me, though no one was around. I hurriedly finished my lunch, swap out my batteries and compact disk, and started hike back to my truck, about 12+ miles away.
The panicky descent out, did not "kick in" until about 3 hours later. Seemingly out of the blue again.
I haven't been back to either place since.

I had no explanation, other than silly fear, until I started reading about infrasound. Descriptions of this, sound like what I felt. Especially the event on Hood, which had a "radar feel" to it.
very strange. sorry for rambling. this is the 1st time I've been able to explain it to anyone.

Hood was ‎July ‎06, ‎2003, and Adams September ‎13, ‎2003 (I just check the photo date stamps)
Regarding "my Hood encounter started near Devil's Lake" -- the remote trail there that I chose to follow "as a shortcut out," had one side, this expansive swampy area, which I think leads up to Devil Lake, at least a half mile away. The Northward side of the trail had this far ranging upward slope, with old growth pines of many species, and there were also many "blotches/patches" of under-story trees, saplings, and bushes, scattered through out the old forest. The "radar sense" felt like it was from the woods side. It was errie quiet too, always kind of odd, in NW old growth forests. Without the trail, it would have rough bushwacking. Something I don't do often.

I was about a quarter mile into the spur trail I think, when the panick suddenly struck. And I instinctively started running. After running about a mile or so down the trail, I had to slow to catch my breath. As I turned a sharp corner in trail, away from the swamp terrain, but still smack in the middle of the mini-mountain flank -- I tried to shake it off. I slowed looked back and then all around, and tried to just listen. I was quickly greeted with a new pang of "Get Out" -- like a sharp punch in the gut. I started running again, for about another mile or so. Finally I reached the switch-back off the flank and down into the neighboring river canyon. It was dropping down, hiking off the mountain flank (Zigzag), and stepping down onto the bank into the canyon, was when it (the sense of fear) abruptly stopped. And once again, I tried to laugh it off, which took a long while.

I don't know what it was. Maybe it was a big cat, maybe it was a bear. Maybe it was Bigfoot?

Whatever it was, it made me "run for my life" ... running 2 miles straight is not something I do very often, especially on relatively flat terrain. I've run before down hill with gravity-assists. This one was pure adrenaline, I think. That and self-preservation.

as they say on the TV show these days, it was a "very squatchy" area.

I do not believe that all fear panic states experienced when out in the wild are Sasquatch related. The experience that this person had in my opinion leans very much towards a Sasquatch encounter. The areas he was in if described correctly seem to me to be prime Sasquatch hang out. He describes hiking for 3 hours before it kicked in again? seems to me like he had control over his feelings in 3 hours and all of a sudden loose it again? The mount hood event describes a prime place off the beaten path were they can sleep out the day and be safe.

Infrasound may be a component of the phenomenon but there are many other elements that precipitate fear such as repeated patterns of clicks, knocks and tocks that become syncopated, rhythmic and at times seem to be purposeful.  To hear something using chatter that is not English and an unknown language will raise the hair on the back of your neck too.  

I understand what you're saying bipedalist and I agree that we're affected by those audible sounds.  And yes, I've heard recordings of the chatter and would not have wanted to be there 'live' to hear it!  The infra sound induced panic is not from an audible source though.  I've only experienced it once and it was not in conjunction with bigfoot.

I experienced infrasound after finding a bigfoot structure and trying to examine it.  There was nothing in it, but I could only look at two sides of it before I had to leave and the person with me expressed his desire to want to leave without me saying what I was experiencing.  It was overwhelming fear, and I'm not someone who scares so easily.  As a matter of fact I was disappointed in myself for being so scared, and didn't quite understand why I was so scared.  I literally had to force myself to walk up to the structure.  While we were walking away it was fine, but whenever we stopped and talked I felt anxiety, but not as great as it was at the structure.  Objects would be thrown and land around 30 feet from us when we stopped, always landing where I was not looking.  I never saw one, but the structure coupled with the thrown objects says it was BF activity.  The great number of researchers who have claimed to have experienced it tells you something real is happening.

Both dolphins and whales use infrasound to stun fish they want to eat.  They momentarily paralyze their prey.  Whale directed blasts of infrasound are called "gunshots," and they have actually been observed bursting fish apart with that. For us to be affected by that we would need to be near the whale in front of its directed blast. Tigers use infrasound to disorientate their prey.  And deer have been observed behaving oddly in areas where it was believed bigfoot was present, and they likely use infrasound to catch their prey.  Indian legends claim they can hypnotize deer, and some people have reported paralyzing effects as well.  We are frequently exposed to man made and natural infrasound, but at low decibels it's not harmful.  I believe sasquatches can direct at blast at high decibels.

It's theorized that BF might have an air sac like apes,  An air sac would explain the loud noises they make when doing audible screams, and perhaps it could also aid the inaudible infrasound.  It's scientifically known that infrasound can cause anxiety, confusion, and even memory loss.  It effects people differently.  Some have passed out from it.  And it has been recorded.  Scott Carpenter claims to have recorded it when he was literally being yelled at in infrasound that is below the human threshold of hearing and claims to have video taped the one doing it.

http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.com/p/theory-bigfoot-cancreate-and-use.html

Different cycles per second (hertz) produce different effects, plus different amplitudes (decibels) of those various frequencies produce different effects.  I don't know a whole lot about what these different frequencies cause, but a frequency matching the resonance of our cells has its own type of effect.  Some frequencies at low amplitude actually produces a pleasant effect on people.  Below 7 hertz at a high enough decibels can cause internal injuries or death. 

Edited by jayjeti
  • Upvote 1

I see no reason to suppose an unseen creature made the infrasound. Infrasound can be made by earth movements. I would think trees might also generate infrasound since swaying trees can certainly creak, knock and groan. Without the actual observation of bigfoot making these sounds it is silly to claim bigfoot made them. Infrasound from these natural sources would be just as menacing or just as pleasing as ones made by bigfoot all depending on the wavelength, amplitude and duration of course.

So, how do you explain panic/fear response in people who do not live in Bigfoot areas?

In Detroit for example, we can agree there are no Bigfoot, so someone waking up in the middle of the night, due to anxiety or panic, did not have a Bigfoot encounter.  Would we say that people in Bigfoot Country do not have non-Bigfoot related panic attacks in the middle of the night in their bed?  Maybe these people are just prone to having panic attacks, and Bigfoot has nothing to do with it.   That is the logical testable question.  Speculation of a Giant Hairy Beast clicking or producing infrasound waking people up in a panic, is absolutely absurd.

The biggest impediment - other than sheer incredulity, which has no place here - to serious thinking about this topic is people's extreme willingness to chalk up pretty much anything to bigfoot.

^^^That, and if you can show that not all such things are BF related, it follows that BF doesn't exist, or none of the phenomena are attributable to BF. We can see this at work in the form of Drew's question.  "So", he might conclude, "Because people have panic attacks in their beds at night in urban areas, this tends to argue that...."

Well, actually, it tends to show exactly nothing much, except that it is this kind of amateur sniping that makes serious discussion around here so unlikely. Note how he studiously avoids considering the real question, because, that's right  YOU CAN'T GET A PANIC ATTACK FROM SOMETHING THAT HE KNOWS DOESN'T EXIST! So, that sort of shuts down his ability to consider the very premise, in its entirety, doesn't it?  (Yes, it does) 

Edited by WSA
  • Upvote 2

So, how do you explain panic/fear response in people who do not live in Bigfoot areas?

In Detroit for example, we can agree there are no Bigfoot, so someone waking up in the middle of the night, due to anxiety or panic, did not have a Bigfoot encounter.  Would we say that people in Bigfoot Country do not have non-Bigfoot related panic attacks in the middle of the night in their bed?  Maybe these people are just prone to having panic attacks, and Bigfoot has nothing to do with it.   That is the logical testable question.  Speculation of a Giant Hairy Beast clicking or producing infrasound waking people up in a panic, is absolutely absurd.

I'd relate it to folks not being woods wise.

You know, the Little Lord Fauntleroy types who never get out in the woods.

I'm also not sure you can relate such a blanket statement as to say....

>>  Speculation of a Giant Hairy Beast clicking or producing infrasound waking people up in a panic, is absolutely absurd.<<

Doubt you have the expertise for such. I don't either as I've never experienced it.

Surely you are not calling those who have liars.

Nah, you would never do that. :rolleyes:

Guest Divergent1

I posted this in the wrong thread hoping it would get moved over here but it hasn't happened. Pheromones can set off a fear reaction. If bigfoot

exists chances are he marks his territory with pheromones, at least I think that's more likely than the infrasound theory, but who really knows?

Some people are more prone to panic attacks for multiple reasons, whether or not it's related to a fear of bigfoot, and it doesn't take much to set them off. This could explain why some get "zapped" and the person next to them isn't affected.

Edited by Divergent1

I posted this in the wrong thread hoping it would get moved over here but it hasn't happened. Pheromones can set off a fear reaction. If bigfoot

exists chances are he marks his territory with pheromones, at least I think that's more likely than the infrasound theory, but who really knows?

I had that discussion with Henner Fahrenbach a few years ago.   He tried very hard but failed to explain how pheromones could account for the observed effects when  the witness was upwind, not downwind, something like 200 yards from the BF.   "Hmmm ...."

MIB

Edited by MIB