Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Perez

Information Wanted: Roger Patterson

Daniel Perez

Bigfooters: A great many of you are doing research on the P-G film and I wanted to ask if anyone ever got the name of the person who did the lie detector test for Roger Patterson before he was interviewed for the magazine, National Wildlife. I was reviewing my own files and stumbled upon some information, from a highly reliable source, that indicated that Roger Patterson never took a lie detector test. I was stunned, to say the least.

What I find interesting is the National Wildlife magazine piece never named the person that did it, so, I wonder.

I can't find George H. Harrison, the guy who penned the piece, anywhere, and I just get a form reply from National Wildlife. I think George is still living, and I certainly want to ask him about this. If the National Wildlife magazine fabricated this information, it would be just one more blow to the P-G film.

Thanks,

Daniel Perez

Bigfoot Times

Bigfoot At Bluff Creek

Big Footnotes

951 522-7334

Edited by Daniel Perez
  • Upvote 1

WSA

Hello Daniel. 

Ahem...."One more blow...." ?  To my way of thinking there aren't ANY so far. By that I mean, any that objectively address what is on the film, or is not.  I don't believe news that Patterson failed a lie detector test (if he did) would shake Bill Munns' conclusions, found in his recent book, When Roger Met Patty, in the least . There are legitimate reasons why polygraph results are not admissible in criminal or civil suits, and those results could never be informative of what the film tells us. If some put as much effort into analyzing what is on the film instead of the Patterson/Gimlin back-story, we may yet get to the bottom of that mystery. My opinion only, mind you.

Edited by WSA
  • Upvote 2

MarkGlasgow

Didn't realise the PGF was somehow on the verge of being debunked.

Can only agree WSA. Not sure if anyone would hinge their view on the validity of the film based on the results of a polygraph taken almost 50 years ago.

roguefooter

Polygraphs are a pseudoscience- they don't support or take away from anything. Just like Bob Heironimus' polygraphs haven't supported or taken away from anything.

Gary Ridgeway, the Green River killer passed a polygraph. What was that "a blow" to?

Sensationalism doesn't make for good journalism.

• Upvote 2

Not sure I would call it a *blow* to the PGF as others have pointed out.

Lie detector tests can be fooled and are not all that accurate.

The PGF has been overly scrutinized in every manner possible on this forum.

It has yet to be adequately rebuffed or proven a hoax.

The answer to your question might be in the Premium area as I know this subject was discussed, re-cussed, and cussed yet again on the old forum.

Edited by HRPuffnstuff

clubbedfoot

Does the highly reliable source have a name and take a lie detector test?  Someone read the lips of Patty and it seemed like she said "I lie".... such is the impossible paradox of Patty....her biting wit is just a bonus...

Edited by clubbedfoot

Why not just hypnotize him like they do with UFO abductees and let him retell the experience?

I saw a TV show where he was administered to a lie detector test, and he passed by claiming that the PGF was faked. I still do not believe him, I think he has lied for so long that he believes it himself.   

thermalman

Polygraphs are a pseudoscience- they don't support or take away from anything. Just like Bob Heironimus' polygraphs haven't supported or taken away from anything.

Gary Ridgeway, the Green River killer passed a polygraph. What was that "a blow" to?

Sensationalism doesn't make for good journalism.

Agreed. Voodoo psychology. Ridgeway went on to kill for 17 more years after his pass. Despite law enforcement's possession of his DNA during that time period.

Hello Daniel. 

Ahem...."One more blow...." ?  To my way of thinking there aren't ANY so far. By that I mean, any that objectively address what is on the film, or is not.  I don't believe news that Patterson failed a lie detector test (if he did) would shake Bill Munns' conclusions, found in his recent book, When Roger Met Patty, in the least . There are legitimate reasons why polygraph results are not admissible in criminal or civil suits, and those results could never be informative of what the film tells us. If some put as much effort into analyzing what is on the film instead of the Patterson/Gimlin back-story, we may yet get to the bottom of that mystery. My opinion only, mind you.

Patterson never failed a lie detector test. To my knowledge, Patterson never took one. He had no need to, he saw what he saw, and filmed, and showed the world the very real evidence of a walking living breathing Sasquatch. 

Backdoc

While I would debate the use of Lie Detectors, I hope someone out there can answer Daniel's question.

I don't see it as any big deal at all. But, I do hope Daniel finds the information he is looking for.

Maybe Roger never even was asked a lie detector and this is just part of the folklore of the PGF.  Doesn't change what is on the film.  Put another way, no skeptic army will be dropping their weapons if they found out Roger took such a test- and passed it.

Backdoc

I saw a TV show where he was administered to a lie detector test, and he passed by claiming that the PGF was faked. I still do not believe him, I think he has lied for so long that he believes it himself.   

***************OMG, We are discussing Patterson! I thought we were discussing the cowboy guy who keeps saying the film is a fake, and he did pass a lie detector test. He has lied so long he now believes it.****************

****************Roger never took a lie detector test as far as I know. ******************

Agreed. Voodoo psychology. Ridgeway went on to kill for 17 more years after his pass. Despite law enforcement's possession of his DNA during that time period.

Slightly off topic, but wasn't the DNA testing new when he started killing? I think the DNA did finally lead to his conviction. That man was a walking talking monster from hades.

Crowlogic

Having worked in the magazine publishing industry I can speak for magazine motives and vetting.  First a magazine is in the business of selling it's own product not to be supplying an absolute form of proof.  Also it was 1967 and the world was a lot less cynical.  Patterson was a good story and had a credible film.  Why wreck a potentially great story with a lie detector test if the story is compelling as it stands.  

That said if Patterson was the scam artist he's claimed to have been a lie detector test would have been inconclusive at best or he could have beat it hoax or not.  Bob H passed his test but that does not deter proponents to cry foul or dismissing it.  In any event it's a little too late in the day to worry about how Patterson was vetted.

Sign in to follow this