Stillwater And Tennessee Trackers Field Notes

Our excursion to Kentucky site #1:

It really makes me wonder if there is a correlation between finding possible evidence of Sasquatch with old abandoned structures. We found this tree that has an appearance like it had been twisted and laid over in one motion near an abandoned structure known as "Hotel California". When you raised the tree back up, you could see the twist turning and the tree returned back to a normal straight tree. Has anyone else found these weird tree twists?

Photograph of "Hotel California" I shot while at the site and later edited after we returned to the home front.

post-24191-0-53848300-1417668529_thumb.j

Tree that looked like it had been twisted and laid over at the same time.

post-24191-0-93861100-1417667740_thumb.j

Another view of twisted tree.

post-24191-0-15206800-1417667215_thumb.j

Close-up view of tree twist.

post-24191-0-43031700-1417667102_thumb.j

Close-up view of tree twist.

post-24191-0-98107700-1417666967_thumb.j

Photo of diameter of tree.

post-24191-0-93380000-1417666829_thumb.j

Guest lightheart

Stillwater,

That tree may have been a pointer to tell others what direction one of them was heading. Here they mostly use long cedar trees that randomly appear on the trails pointing in a direction. Often these are held in place by a log laid over the back so the direction is not accidentally changed by hikers passing through. In a few weeks the pointer disappears only to reappear in another location sometimes a mile or two away. I think they use twisted and broken trees for this also.....Sometimes these will have a log to hold them in place as well. Then a few weeks later the log is removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Kentucky site #2; Area known as the bunkers.

In this area we received a very good call return. We were following a trail where you could tell something was sliding the leaves with their feet. It was on a hilltop that ran out like a peninsula, but we were not at the point yet where we had a visual on the valley.  Tennessee Tracker gave a call and we got an immediate response back from the valley area. The call back was not very far away and it was louder in volume than Tennessee Tracker's who was standing beside me. You could tell the volume was not forced, just larger lung capacity. It sounded unrehearsed and it had a natural sound and flow. So natural in fact, that you could tell a big difference between it's vocal and Tennessee Tracker's. Note: Return vocal was a 2 syllable vocal.    

post-24191-0-87066500-1418481390_thumb.j

Possible track found in site area.

post-24191-0-01033000-1418443503_thumb.j

Scat pile found in the site area. It doesn't really match up with any of the known animals in this region of Kentucky. Anyone have a guess on this one?

post-24191-0-16875400-1418443168_thumb.j

JKH: Your right. I kick myself for not having an audio recorder with us that day. Tonight we are going out in our home base area and trying out our new thermal camera. Looking forward to just getting out and trying it out in the field.

Lightheart: If the twisted tree was meant to be used as a directional marker, in your opinion, which end is pointing the way? The tree top that is lying over or the end in the air with the twist? I take it that it was twisted and pulled down with one fluid motion when the subject walked by. I'm really curious what your opinion is, I've never explored this area of study.

We went out Saturday evening to try out our new thermal camera, drove back in on the old abandoned road and about a mile back in the road I could see taillights and someone running a spotlight. First thought was poachers. Took it as a sign to call it quits for the night. Next day we walked back in the area and walked the river. We had previously found multiple rock stacks that seem to change visit to visit. Some are added to, one was pretty intricate, some disappear and new ones spring up. We weren't disappointed! One was missing, one was torn apart, a new one was present and one of the older ones had a few stalks of long river grass placed in between (2) 20 pound rocks. I get a chance, I'll post some photos of the evolution of these rock stacks.

Guest lightheart

Hey Stillwater,

It is all speculation but I would think that the tip of the tree itself is the direction.......What I have noticed is that usually there is a log placed on the pointer stick although not always. One I saw recently was just right on the trail with nothing holding it. They usually use 7 to 9 foot stripped cedar trees....and I think they reuse them. The interesting thing is that with the exception of the one in the trail about a month ago ( gone the next day), there is something fresh and green on it, a log, or it is hooked into a notch in a small tree. These seem to be an indicator to the others that this is a recent message. The ones that are no longer valid are dismantled or disappear so as not to be " read" as new. This is conscious thinking behavior in my opinion. I think they gather at night in various spots and these pointers show where they are meeting up that night. The reason I think this is when it rains they seem to use a log to hold down palmetto branches to sit on so they don't have to sit on the wet ground. I have seen these spot 30 to 40 times and there is always evidence of grubbing, looking under the leaf matter for hickory nuts, breaking apart old logs for bugs, or even a few oyster shells at the spot. As weird as this all sounds I think that these are strong indicators of social interactions taking place at these spots at night.....just a guess but maybe the females doing this.

Lightheart: Those are pretty good observations. It gave me food for thought. Here's a question for you. When trying to do a call, who has a better chance on getting a response, a male or a female and why? I have an opinion, but I'll wait to give it and let you take a crack at it.

Guest lightheart

Hey Stiilwater,

Interesting question....I would suspect that female researchers may have a better result since I think that females behave less aggressively in the woods than males and the hairy ones know that. They have probably observed fewer females carrying guns and therefore tend to not associate human females with danger. I don't make calls so I have no experiences from which to draw upon. I whooped once and really spooked what I think was young one stationed as a sentry. He tried to knock and broke the stick and was scrambling to not fall out of the tree. Soooo.....I just don't even do that anymore.

I am not in any hurry and don't really want anything from them so I don't need to provoke a response. I am super interested in how they live and what they do. I still spend a lot of time trying to understand what they are and where they fit in the evolutionary bush.

They seem to sometimes try to mess with humans almost as if they think it is funny. Let's just say I have had some interesting experiences... When a human makes a call I don't think they are fooled....just playing along so to speak.(:

Lightheart: That was a good answer. Your right on the money, they are not easily fooled. What they show on TV just scares them away. If they don't run off, their probably hiding and trying not to laugh to hard at the dumb humans. Lol!

The person doing the calling really needs to know what their doing and have a little understanding what the call they are making possibly means to them.

My vote for who makes the best callers are females. My opinion why is, I believe at a certain age BF males are thrown out of the nest so to speak, go out on their own and look to start their own family unit.

Here's where I'll tie it all together and I stress this is just my opinion. We figured this out by accident and it has made us even more cautious. Tennessee Tracker is a female and as I posted earlier, she got a great return call at our 2nd site in Kentucky. What I didn't mention was, the return call was most likely from a young male. The weird part was it's call had an almost friendly tone to it. She gave another call back to it, but it wasn't fooled the 2nd time and went quiet. To be perfectly honest that friendly tone was the worst I've ever been creeped out!

I got into this to find answers to questions. We've had mild activity since I was a child around and near our family farm. As people grow older they tend to ignore their surroundings and forget past experiences. That was me until last spring when we retired our Great Pyrenees from a working farm dog to a retired life living up around the farmhouse. Something started messing with her and that brought back past memories to me. I started researching people who I thought were credible and knowledgeable in the subject to try and get some answers. After finding who I thought I could trust, I tried to contact them, but most would not respond back. I did though find 2 great people from Tennessee who were very helpful. Since I had limited help, I struck out on my own to find out answers to my own questions. Along the way I teamed up with Tennessee Tracker. It basically all started out because I just wanted my dog to get some peace and quiet. :)

Guest lightheart

I hike alone and am very careful how I conduct myself for some of the reasons you mentioned. I don't think any extended interactions are a good idea for females.

I put my long hair under a hat and try to wear baggy nondescript clothes when I am out there. I am pretty much limiting my activity to observing what they have been doing and where they have passed through. I don't chase after them if I happen to see one briefly, I stay on the trail, I don't bait at all, don't knock or call. The purpose of the song is to identify me and announce that I am coming through. Twice I have caught them looking at me over palmettos when I sang. One was smiling with his cheeks...no teeth showing. If I see them I pretend I didn't and just continue on in the direction I was heading. They have messed with me on a few occasions, twice with really, really loud booming owl calls. I just said in a loud tone back, "Well that was impressive" and continued on. Once there was a whimpering sound that seemed to be coming from a bush. It was on the trail so I walked over to look and it happened again...nothing was there. I was not taking one step off that trail. So I just said "Nice" in a loud sarcastic tone and walked away singing at the top of my lungs. I do not think it is a good thing to show fear and definitely will not run. I just try to hold my space.

This has got to be one of the cooler arches we have found back in our home area. I've seen quite a few young trees that bend pretty far when they fight for sunlight with the larger older trees, but this one is unique. Almost all of the branches have been stripped off of it and the top end of the tree is buried about 10 inches into the ground. With a little effort we were able to pry it loose and it still had quite a bit of spring left to it. Using my sister Anne for height comparison, she is approx. 5 feet 6 inches and the center of the arch is approx. 10 feet 6 inches.

post-24191-0-32312000-1418976838_thumb.j

We went out to our site area Friday evening about an hour before dark and walked the river bottom. We came across a big buck's trackline and found another set of tracks that were following the buck. Very unusual tracks. Track's measured approx. 6 inches wide by 5 inches long. Anyone have an idea of what was tracking the buck? No bears in our area.

post-24191-0-12281300-1419198959_thumb.j