Project Grendel Winter Time Tactics Thread

norseman

We have three teams spread out in the north woods, BC, Wa/Id/Mt and Maine.  And we have a couple of teams down south, one in AZ and one in FL.

We are looking for help/advice in looking for this creature this winter. I've seen one set of snow tracks a long time ago, in mid December at about 3500 feet in NE Washington.

What do they eat? Where do they go? How do they live? Any tangible advice or experiences BFF members have in pursuit of this creature is much appreciated. Thanks!

A little about my part of the search:

My 16 year old son, one hunting buddy and I will be the team for Wa/Id/Mt. I have a tracked Polaris ranger that I'll be using to run logging roads looking to cut a track way. I also plan on using predator calls and decoys in a attempt to lure one in. My search area will be primarily NE Washington, North Idaho and NW Montana. I'm going to start in the west and work my way east, widening my search as I go.

Guest JiggyPotamus

Unfortunately I can offer no advice that comes directly from experience. I can say that the team in the south will have a much easier time of searching, as long as they are in a state that does not receive a lot of snow. In my part of Texas we get snow maybe once in five years or so, although it occasionally snows a little further north, but even when it does it is nothing like the snow in the PNW or in the north in general.

The big question, the one that will help with your search, is how sasquatch survive the winter. I've put in some time researching this particular question recently, and it immediately became apparent that a variety of animals adapt in what I find to be spectacular ways. The easiest option would be migration, but this is not really feasible for all sasquatch, and I doubt anyone would argue that all the sasquatch leave the PNW during the winter. There are biological mechanisms present in other animals that basically change that animal in some manner in preparation for the winter. Heck, my cats grow thicker fur, and they don't even go outside much during the winter. One possible adaptation that would benefit sasquatch during the winter extremes would be a smaller need for food. Even without a specific biological mechanism this can be achieved by simply being less active, and I think that it is safe to say that sasquatch likely only burn calories in a very purposeful way, meaning they are driven only to eat, drink, and rest. The largest animal that is comparable to sasquatch is a bear, and they survive through hibernation, otherwise they probably would starve. Sasquatch have a much easier time than bears however, mainly because sasquatch have hands and long arms, as well as the fact that they're tall, factors which open up a wider variety of food sources. Sasquatch likely lose a lot of weight in the winter as well, meaning that older animals have a tougher time in the winter, and are more likely to perish from not being able to tolerate lesser food and the elements.

I'm getting a bit off track here, and my only point is that you can perhaps use this information in your search. I don't think sasquatch would be forced into shelter during winter, but if they're doing a lot of resting they might seek secluded or sheltered areas. Hard to say. If not, a search party could wander right up to a sasquatch who is hunkered down under some brush, or something like that. I would look for areas that would offer protection from the wind, snow, and rain, and look for evidence there. Even if the sasquatch heard you coming and fled, perhaps there would be evidence left behind. The locations that need scrutinizing during your search would be somewhat reduced if sasquatch do seek shelter during the winter, since open areas are not viable. But regardless they will have to be active if they wish to eat. But winter searching is a less promising search time if sasquatch are less active, and your odds will be lessened as far as catching one on the move.  The snow is good for tracking however. Another good thing might be water sources being frozen. Ice-covered water sources may be neglected by sasquatch, and perhaps you could design your search area based on open water sources. Even during other seasons this might be a good method, you know, picking an area where there is only a couple of water sources. Worth a shot anyway. Of course rivers are bad, since a sasquatch can drink from it along its entire length.  Sasquatch might also increase the variety in their diet during winter, and might eat more plant matter, or what is left at that time. Maybe they eat bark or something. Or maybe they're good at finding other animals who have hunkered down for the winter. I don't know where these animals go, as I see way fewer animals during the winter, but they have to go somewhere.

Anyway, I like your idea of luring them in, mainly because it is already a good technique in certain instances, but especially when the sasquatch will be desperate for food. Having less options it may not be able to afford ignoring a distressed animal. I think you should pick a calling area that forces any approaching animal into a bottleneck of some type, meaning that it cannot slip in undetected, or slip in and see that people are around, when it will flee. So pick a strategic area, or anything that does not allow an approach from all sides. Cutting off the approach from a single side reduces the area you have to cover by 25%, at least theoretically. Or just go dig a bunch of deep pit traps. You're likely to get something. Maybe a opossum, a raccoon, or the occasional human. "No officer, those are sinkholes...learn yourself some geologizing." I'm sure you can figure out other ways to use the winter to your advantage, and you and your teams be careful, although I doubt I need to remind you that some of the country in your search area is even more dangerous during the winter. This is not your first rodeo, as they say. Good luck to you sir.

Norseman

All of my bigfoot sightings have been within 100 yards of a water source. I've never seen a bigfoot in winter, but the tracks I've found were still within 100 yards of a water source or meadow. In winter here in western Oregon I have better luck searching above the snowline for them.

I don't know what they eat, but the bigfoot I saw last summer had feathers left where it was standing. And about 30 feet in the timber was an half eaten waterfowl.

Basically wherever the snowline maybe I will hike or ride my atv higher up than anyone else has. I don't go to just any random spot. I will go to a spot that I had possible bigfoot activity earlier in the year.

So if there is a spot that you or someone you know and trust has had possible bigfoot activity or sighting I would go back to that spot and check it at. Especially if there is a nearby water source.

Remember, I'm in the Rockies. Your not getting to a source of water in the mountains. It's all iced over and drifted over. You can walk across creeks, without ever knowing it. In the valley floor here on Saturday it will be 3F degrees. The Columbia river no longer freezes solid but smaller rivers, lakes and streams do.

At least you don't have to worry about losing there tracks at the creek. That's how I always lose them.

When I find their tracks they usually come out of the pucker brush and take only a few steps on a trail or road then back into the pucker brush then down to a creek. I'll walk up and down both sides of the creek, but can never find their tracks again.

I followed a cougar for over 2 miles once and it was really easy. It stayed on the game trails then when it got down to the creek it crossed over on a downed tree then continued on a game trail.

At least you don't have to worry about losing there tracks at the creek. That's how I always lose them.

When I find their tracks they usually come out of the pucker brush and take only a few steps on a trail or road then back into the pucker brush then down to a creek. I'll walk up and down both sides of the creek, but can never find their tracks again.

I followed a cougar for over 2 miles once and it was really easy. It stayed on the game trails then when it got down to the creek it crossed over on a downed tree then continued on a game trail.

Do they walk the creek? Do you look for tracks under the surface of the water? I'd like to be on a good trackway again someday Edited by norseman

SSR Team

Usually around 1500 feet. Most of the tracks I find are between 3500 and 4000 feet.

At what time of year is that though CM ?

Norseman

I think they do use the creeks especially if being pursued. The creeks here usually have a gravel/rock bottom, so I don't see their tracks in the creek. I would like to find another good trackway someday as well.

BobbyO

Dec.-Feb

SSR Team

Wow that's high CM.

To give you a comparable, in WA we've got 60 winter reports in the SSR.

Only 6 are above 2,500ft in elevation and all are from Eastern WA where obviously it's higher anyway.

In Western WA, the Olympics, in Winter especially, averages very low with only one report above 1,000ft in winter.

post-136-0-62131800-1417126267_thumb.jpg

In the South Cascades we are generally low too.

post-136-0-36604500-1417126323_thumb.jpg

As is the North Cascades.

post-136-0-12810300-1417126360_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Do the tracks seem to be going somewhere?

Have you shot an azimuth and tried to project route of March? Are they following creeks down or up?

Have you noticed any activity associated with the tracks? Like bedding or foraging?