Project Grendel Winter Time Tactics Thread

norseman

Norse.....I think the best way to scout snow covered terrain is by air and there are a few ways to do this depending on time, money, and ability. I have always wanted to build and fly an ultralight aircraft because not only are they fun to fly, but you also do not need a FAA license. Another option is the newer Sport Pilot license or even a PPL. Of course the most inexpensive, safest, and time effective would be to simply charter a small, single engine aircraft and pilot. From the air, a trackway in fresh snow should stand out fairly well and using a camera and GPS could help verify and pinpoint the specific spot and then develop a plan based on terrain and movement.

I do not have a SPL or a PPL but have had some training flying ultralights. If that interests you at all, PM me and I can give you a bit more information on ultralights and training. You may have already considered this, but I have not seen it discussed yet. UPs

I think it's worth a shot but below timberline I think it's gonna be tough to spot much.

The type of UL that I trained on was a fixed wing 2 seater. The rules allow a 2 seat UL if you are training so many of the UL,s are used for training. I think it wild work really well for scouting only to narrow down area area to search on a sled and would also give you a very good idea of the terrain you would be dealing with. If they never cross any openings in the forest, you would have a very difficult time seeing any trackway and you can only fly those in daylight hours and VFR conditions. You can add skis and I do not believe it counts toward the UL weight rules.

The powered parachutes shown above can't be used very far from the takeoff location and if there is any wind, you are kind of screwed. I think a drone would work about the same as a PP.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

^^^ Great Idea. They make tandem ones. Being interested in tracking myself I know how you like to keeps boots on the ground.

David, that'd actually be pretty cool to cover alot of area with little effort. But in Winter? Brrrrrr. I can envision one of those tandem units with the passenger scanning for thermal signatures while the pilot circles the area. A night operation would be possible too with some prep.

Only thing is they're kinda noisy. I have a buddy that flies ultralights here and his little 2 strokes sound like a herd of chainsaws when running. But with the volume of area you could cover, it wouldn't make much difference if the Bigfoot was spooked or not. He'd have a difficult time evading the thermal tracking from above.

I love to fly too but I'll stick to boots on the ground for now. If I were out West though, hmmmm. Chris B.

SSR Team

The drones would be perfect for looking for snow tracks surely.

I've been looking at FPV planes and they can stay up for much longer than a quad copter but cannot hover obviously.

norseman, the learning curve to pilot a fixed wing model aircraft is actually quite steep. If you decide to go that route, hook up with a local radio control model club for some lessons, it'll save a lot of frustration, and money. Some of the drones now have so much built in stability (on board computer + GPS) that they are easier to fly than a plane.

Clearly the best way to locate large animals in winter, is to utilize a snowmobile.

Travel roads and trails in a grid fashion, until you cross some tracks.

Then follow the tracks.

You can cover hundreds of square miles by doing this.

It is classically used for cougar hunting.

BC, Probably the closest would be Spokane maybe the safe bet is to buy an old beater first?;)

Clearly the best way to locate large animals in winter, is to utilize a snowmobile.

Travel roads and trails in a grid fashion, until you cross some tracks.

Then follow the tracks.

You can cover hundreds of square miles by doing this.

It is classically used for cougar hunting.

Correct.

I'm running logging roads with a tracked ranger this winter.

Edited by norseman

Hello Gumshoeye and ItsAsquatch,

Shucks guys, I'm all blushy here. The thing is I don't know if these things even exist. I know people say they've seen them so I'm going on the fact that I believe what they are saying. For myself, seeing a "Patty" or a "Patrick" would change the game in a serious way like it has for those who have witnessed them up close and personal.

In the "olden" days groups of Humans could take down the Wooly Mammoth and other large creatures. In thinking that Sasquatch is intelligent then I don't see why it's hunting techniques would be any less sophisticated than any other animal that hunts in a pack. Chimpanzees do it, Coyotes do it, and many other creatures so why wouldn't something that could very well be considered more intelligent than say, apes. It raises the bar quite a bit for anyone hunting them and people like Norseman are intensely aware of this possibility and has been for some time. I think the NAWAC thinks along the same line. 

One needs to be aware of several things that have been reported such as BF utilizing narrow trails that parallel game trails and roads. One thing in favor of a hunter- maybe the ONLY thing in favor- is temperament. Sasquatch doesn't seem to have a temperament that is seen as being in constant rage. Or possess one that kills for the sake of killing. There may be a higher social order involved which could be a provocative aspect in the territorial sense- which I would consider to be normal. 

The reasons a BF would approach or not approach seems to be couched in subtleties. Body language, odors, our frequencies in an area and attached mannerisms, and maybe their own ideas of who and what we are over and above the physical similarities. I don't think by and large they really fear us anymore than a normal caution as it relates to their survival. And that would be any different toward us than any other large animal in their area. So the issue is scarcity coupled with a reclusive lifestyle and I'm firmly convinced of that. Drawing one out is to draw out who knows how many more from a small clan. It's either that or somehow surprise one who was unaware; itself a dangerous scenario in my book regardless of the ones who think Teddy Bear.

Edited by hiflier

The Ultralight idea to me would simply be to scout a very large area to see if there are any bf using it in the winter. If trackways are found, then would be the time to take a sled into the area. Best case scenario, you see a very fresh trackway steadily heading in one direction ( or multiple trackways ). You could use the terrain well ahead of the tracks to set up an ambush location. Of course this would take quite a bit of time, money, and dedicated folks, but there is no better way to scout than from the air and with a fixed wing aircraft, thousands of acres could be covered in one day. There are many limits to flying these in the winter and if money wasn't an issue, chartering a single engine fixed wing aircraft would be more realistic. Do any of you know if anyone does this consistently? I have only read a few reports of pilots reporting a sighting and these were from people who were not searching for bf.

All I need is a Grendel air wing now! ;)

I'm thinking one of these:

paintjob-075.jpg

I got the snow machine and the jet boat.

post-735-0-77317100-1417586766_thumb.jpg

Edited by norseman

Awesome boat Norse and I like the tracks you have on the ATV, I bet that goes really good through snow. I don't recognize that aircraft, but I bet its expensive!