Orangutan Learns To 'speak'. Could Bf Language Just Be A Mimic?

Cotter

In the article I linked, and the section I quoted, showed that in this particular case, science was wrong about the uniqueness of humans being the only creatures to 'lip smack' demonstrating that science still has a some to learn about language.

I'm not saying the FOXP2 gene and vocal tract portion of your statement is incorrect, I'm just saying it may not be entirely true.

;-)

How's that for a hedged bet?  LOL!

The scientists who study the evolution of language have been studying the apes for quite a while, and I'm sure they've encountered the lip smacking before. It simply takes more than that and it's about where their talking stops.

This is from the seventies.  :biggrin:

SSR Team

Gibbons now too - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/gibbons-may-communicate-as-our-ancestors-did-scientists-say-9970631.html

Gibbons, haven't we had a certain "Scientist" recently talking about Gibbons and a possible linkage to Sasquatches ?

Circumstances?    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.    I went on an early morning general purpose exploring trip.    There's a pond I'd never been to.  The "trail" is an abandoned, gated off road about 2 miles long.    Dept of F&G told me they used to stock it.  Since it was deer season, I grabbed my rifle, my hunting pack, threw in my fishing rod, and camera of course, and went for a hike.  About 4 miles round trip.

I had a near sighting first, then the giggly voices about 25-30 feet father, then later on the way back, about 200 yards back towards the truck, I had a brief sighting.   I don't believe it was the same one.

No sense of threat in any of it.  The whole thing was oddly humorous.

MIB

They love fish.  If you go there again and catch some fish in that pond leave some out.  You'll build some good rapport with them.   I had one try to steal some fish from me.  

Edited by jayjeti

If sasquatches turn out to be relict hominids as Dr. Meldrum and many others believe, they would be a species of man and comparisons to apes might be fruitless.  The main anatomy that allows humans to speak is the placement of the hyoid bone, and I believe they have the ability to talk to each other, and do.  I had one attempt to speak to me in response to me trying to communicate with it.  It sounded like what Ron Morehead has recorded of them speaking.

Here's an article about a sasquatch communicating with a human.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/BFbaby.htm 

It is about a sasquatch raising a human child and people claiming to hear them communicating with one another.  Here is a paragraph from that article,

"Since that sighting, at least 33 people have reported seeing the wild boy and his hairy companion. Witnesses have included clergymen, forest rangers and even members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.  In many cases, the mismatched duo has been heard exchanging guttural sounds as if talking. 'This youngster has all the earmarks of a feral child. A child that has had no human contact and has been raised by an animal," said the Seattle based Dr. Worrier.'  The fact that his gait is similar to the Bigfoot and that they can communicate is evidence that the creature is his surrogate parent."

Edited by jayjeti

Gibbons now too - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/gibbons-may-communicate-as-our-ancestors-did-scientists-say-9970631.html

Gibbons, haven't we had a certain "Scientist" recently talking about Gibbons and a possible linkage to Sasquatches ?

Woah...that's nuts!  Hmmmm....kind of humbling isn't it?

Here's an excerpt:  "While it has long been known that animals can communicate with one another, the research has provided “clear evidence†that animals have linguistic structures and words that mirror those used by people."

BFF Patron

No, it was Lemurs

Dr. Ketchum said some genes in her DNA tests resembled those of Lemurs, but she denies accusations fielded by some that she believes sasquatches are the result of a human mating with a non-hominin primate species.  She believes sasquatches are a hybrid between Homo sapiens and an unknown hominin, just like many Homo sapiens are a hybrid with Neanderthal and Denisovan Man, having ancestors that mated with those hominin species.

Edited by chelefoot
Removed quote of previous post

BFF Patron

Don't forget with a pinch of angel dust, friend ^ ,hope you are not now a defender of all things Ketchum like you were all things Standing.......   you will be alone in your stance when the chaff blows away if so.  Accusations and science are two disparate saloons when it comes to this particular "scientist".  

Edited by bipedalist

Don't forget with a pinch of angel dust, friend ^ ,hope you are not now a defender of all things Ketchum like you were all things Standing.......   you will be alone in your stance when the chaff blows away if so.  Accusations and science are two disparate saloons when it comes to this particular "scientist".  

I'm keeping the comments honest.  Dr. Ketchum didn't say sasquatch had lemurs or gibbons or any other ape or monkey on its family tree like the comments were alluding to, and I'm not phased by whatever warning you want to issue at me.

Edited by jayjeti

BFF Patron

She made direct reference to lemurs and angel DNA but I'll let you fret about it.  That bathtub ring is history. 

• Upvote 1

She made direct reference to lemurs and angel DNA but I'll let you fret about it.  That bathtub ring is history. 

Here, this will help grade your history.

Here are quotes from Dr. Ketchum's facebook page on Dec. 30th.  A person asked Dr. Ketchum about the lemur issue on her facebook page:

Melba, I just reads this from a link on Facebook...  "After gathering enough evidence, Ketchum ran a DNA analysis on her samples. Much to her surprise, she discovered the mitochondrial DNA was human, but the nuclear DNA belonged to an unknown hominid. Ketchum theorized that around 15,000 years ago, a now-extinct giant lemur mated with a female human. The result was Bigfoot."

This is Dr. Ketchum's response:

"In response to the post about lemurs: I never said that at all. What I did say was in response to them being an ape human hybrid which I do not believe at all. They are closest to human in the tree of life we generated in the paper. If you look at it, human is in the middle and apes are to the right and lemurs to the left as are Denisovans (though they are not shown). I said the progenitor was closer to a lemur than an ape which is true. It had been brought up that there was a giant lemur that was extinct and it would have been closer than the great apes. What I said has been twisted like a game of gossip amongst children so now the haters say I said the progenitor was a giant extinct lemur. I NEVER said they came from lemurs. Go look at the tree from the paper, it's Figure 16." 

Edited by jayjeti
  • Upvote 1

Dr. Ketchum said some genes in her DNA tests resembled those of Lemurs, but she denies accusations fielded by some that she believes sasquatches are the result of a human mating with a non-hominin primate species.  She believes sasquatches are a hybrid between Homo sapiens and an unknown hominin, just like many Homo sapiens are a hybrid with Neanderthal and Denisovan Man, having ancestors that mated with those hominin species.

Whereabouts was that sample from?

I'm coming round to the idea that we're dealing with at least 3 species, PNW patties, southern skunk apes, and eastern/northeastern neanderthalids. I am thinking that the latter type is most likely to produce viable offspring with homo sapiens, I'm thinking that branch is only a couple of hundred thousand years back. The patty types, I think is further back if they're a hominid, millions, a robust type that we obviously haven't got a fossil for yet. The skunk apes, by all accounts seem more of an apelike primate, possibly no closer related to us than the Orangutan, but potentially a little more intelligent and adaptable than an Orang, branched off sometime around the same time. I think that one could use another browse of the fossil record, some candidates for that have probably been cast aside for lack of "patty-ness".

Anyway, the pre-historic crossbreeding or gene splicing that Ketchum wants to support, might not be borne out by what she's got but I still think she could be right about finding sapiens crossing in there. Bear in mind that sapiens back 100,000, maybe as recent as 50,000 years ago probably wasn't as "eugenically" minded as regards purity of the sapiens line, and probably screwed anything vaguely the right shape, whether out of desperation or by right of conquest.

As to Angel DNA and what you describe as your bathtub ring history, Angel DNA is an old genetics term used for unknown DNA, and Dr. Ketchum didn't use the term herself, someone outside of her used that term and it was applied back to her.  Here is a link to an article explaining this.  In an official press release Dr. Ketchum said this, "We have not said that it has angel DNA . That was not said by anyone on our team, but someone else on the outside. That is very much a false rumor."

http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2012/11/melba-ketchum-we-have-not-said-that-it.html

So, as for your saying she made direct reference to angel DNA -- I'm afraid I have to pull the plug on that too and send it down the drain also.

Edited by jayjeti

and Dr. Ketchum didn't use the term herself,

Untrue.  I don't know if she used it in print but she certainly used it in verbal discussion.   If what you say is true about a ... colloquial? ... meaning, that was lost on the people she was talking to.  I will note that I did not find any support for your claim as to the meaning of the term with a search engine so it is very extremely obscure ... if true at all.

MIB

Edited by MIB