Urban Bigfoot Seriously?(2)

Guest Admin

Thank you for your encouragement, LCB! The recording is on one hand the easiest thing to do (press record), but it does produce so much data to sort through. Luckily, this suits me, as I'm detail-oriented and analytical by nature. We've spoken of this before, but the spectrograms make it so much easier.

On the city sound, I believe I'm correct. I listened to and looked at hours of traffic noise there, and the spec looks unlike that, but like a classic long howl. Also, a few miles away was an area with reported activity.

I'm in the process of sorting through the last couple months' recording and ruthlessly discarding everything that is questionable, so that I have a better idea of what's really happening. I came across an interesting sound that I'd like to bounce off you, LCB. I think it's an owl, but not one I know. Will find it and post later.

PS, have you seen this report?

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=45830

Like you said, if it shows up as something unique in a spectrogram, then you can figure you have something, 

To someone else it might not seem like anything more than ambient noise, but that would have its own signature

as well.  I am no expert on this, but perhaps you could move your recorder out to the source of those sounds,

I have left mine overnight in distant areas to see if I could capture activity.  Just be careful to remember exactly

where you place it, as it can be hard to retrace your steps without something marking the location.  I placed mine

at night last winter, and it was much harder to relocate than expected, but I did find it.

Yah the Lagrange account is another in a series from the south burbs forest preserves, It is one of the hottest spots

to have a class A sighting in the state, and my guess is that it is the most urban area to have had repeated sightings

in the whole nation.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Just a little further on that Lagrange Road sighing,  This portion of the Cook County Forest Preserve is connected by a power easement

to the Bachelors Grove Portion which also has had sighting activity.  The image below shows the connection, the white portion of the 

path traces the power lines.

post-23370-0-18909600-1420068289_thumb.j

Further the Brookfield Zoo sighting also listed on the BFRO has the Cal Sag Channel and the Des Plaines river

to provide a pathway between this area and the other sightings, you see my point, and these areas are not in 

the least bit rural, but they have enough cover and large enough areas for the creatures to move about.

post-23370-0-64275300-1420070549_thumb.j

Most people will write this off without even investigating.  I have discovered a very geographical relevance 

from sighting to sighting and this holds true to almost every listed sighting.  If someone came up with a sighting

that I could not find any sort of greenways, rivers, bike paths, railroad tracks, or other means to safely travel

in the late night hours, that would be a red flag, but as for me I can accept that these creatures are smart enough

to use these avenues to exist in very small numbers in these types of areas.  My guess is that less then 10 individuals

live anywhere within a 100 miles of Chicago.  Two or three family groups being represented.

LCB said,
I am no expert on this, but perhaps you could move your recorder out to the source of those sounds,

I have left mine overnight in distant areas to see if I could capture activity.  Just be careful to remember exactly

where you place it, as it can be hard to retrace your steps without something marking the location.  I placed mine

at night last winter, and it was much harder to relocate than expected, but I did find it.

Wish I could have done so, but that one was in a city out of state, my time there was limited. I do intend to branch out to more areas farther from home when the weather is better. Thinking about how to place devices to avoid loss or damage is a good point.

When I decided to figure things out for myself a couple of years ago, I was really fearful for them. I thought that they limited themselves to the deep forests which are diminishing, I was wrong about that. My own evidence, on top of all the other, suggests that they go wherever they want, including through my area, at least occasionally. There's stuff that I haven't shared because it's just odd and I don't think I'll do this forever. For now, it's good to share some mind-expanding stuff now and then. I think your ideas about their travel are accurate and shared by more than a few. Hope you can catch some more sounds out there soon. (Still looking for that owl clip.)

Well we have some snow down last night, and that usually ends any hope of activity

in these parts, but Stan Courtney told me he gets some of his best recordings in

the winter months, I might have to get back on the horse, of course Stan lives downstate

in a much more temperate area.

I have recorded a couple decent knocks winter. Temps were about 10 degrees at night. The area where I put out the recorders is west of Madison, WI. It's connected by woodlands and waterways to the Wisconsin River. Plenty of game, even during the winter. And there are numerous places where a Squatch family could hold up during the harshest weather. So yes, by all means keep recording during winter. 

stratoman, the driftless area is really intriguing to me, and last winter there was a road crossing

listed on the BFRO in just those conditions you mentioned above. Just that my marsh is really exposed

a bit in the winter months, though we still have coyotes and deer moving through routinely, alright so

I will record and test the waters to see if I am just being a doubting Thomas...thanks for the info...

Hi Folks!

Very cool Strato!  I lived just west of Madison for 5 years just outside of Blue Mounds, WI.  There's been some reported activity in the state park there, as well as the lore of the ghost that haunts the park.

A former co-worker of mine had an experience on the sand bars of the Wisconsin when he was a kid.  He never knew what it was.  It wasn't until he heard about wood knocks that it made sense.  Basically, he and his brother were on the sand bars (some of which are islands that have trees) and he picked up a piece of driftwood and was trying to break it against a tree (swinging it like a baseball bat).

He thought at first what he was hearing was a really weird echo, but it was taking too long and it wasn't the same number of hits.   He would swing once or twice, then a few seconds later, he'd hear what he figured was someone else doing the same thing across the river.  Never saw anything, but he said it weirded him out pretty good back then.

Oh, and the driftless area sighting - I"m assuming LCB is referring to the Jug Creek sighting north of LaFarge in the Kickapoo Reserve.  Not a bigfoot.  I investigated the sighting personally, and 'through the grapevine' I was able to determine that it was not a bigfoot, but rather a human in full camo.   He was particpating in less than legal activities at the time and hit the ditch when he saw the guy's truck coming down the road.  With that said, I've spoken with several folks that have had some experiences up there not so easily explained and I have done a bit of night exploration/investigation in the area as well.

Yes, LCB, keep it up. I don't think you can conclude that activity ceases with snow, especially if you're not observing. *Wink*. Somewhere upthread I mentioned the one I recently read about a snow track in Waukegan? I think, don't know if that's close to you.  The sorting through becomes a tedious at times, but I'm still going to try whenever there's no rain or wind.

I hope you don't mind if I ask your opinion of the bird (owl?) clip I found again, although it's western. I also have an unincluded clip of a very strange vocal that I can't id, but I don't want to hijack your thread.

1121_01_ 2-34-50.wav

Edited by JKH

I'll check it out JKH and get back, I have heard of snow prints in Racine Wi, just north of me, and Beach Park, just east of me, and now you say

Waukegan, and then I say pattern, because all of those locations are along the lake front greenway or near them, very interesting to me to say

the least.

Cotter are you referring to the report filed with the BRFO last winter in November that was a road crossing southwest of Madison?

Alright here is a challenge to you guys, you see how I break down sightings in Chicagoland above using Google Earth, and

showing the relationships between them using the greenways, rivers, and power lines, bike paths, railroads et.  Well some of

you, Gumshoeye, JKH, Lightheart, et.  You all live in your respective areas, lets put this all together, show me some of your

areas sightings and give me some geographical relevance.  I know you will not disappoint me, just give me whatever you can

discern at your leisure, no pressure here, but since you have all been so loyal to this thread we need to put these pieces of this

puzzle together, I am nearly able to make conclusions from what I have found, but your input is invaluable in this process, as well

as the personal value of knowing this for yourselves.  We will all be in the know!  Seriously, when it comes to these Urbanish Bigfoot.

I will continue to chime in with some more Google Earth/BFRO information, trust me in that there is a specific pattern that

we can document to some extent, and that is valuable to the future of all research in this endeavor.

LCB, just to be clear are you asking for input on those specific geographical locations as they are related to bigfoot reports in our respective locations or are you asking for Google map snapshots like yours? Would you like a number and brief examples of each that fit those descriptors?  

I can tell you now I recall some power line sightings, some golf course (that’s green way too) but what about roadway sightings LCB?

I am willing to take you up on that challenge if its within my ability to do so, not a problem.

Edited by Gumshoeye

• masterbarber locked this topic