Urban Bigfoot Seriously?(2)

Guest Admin

Thanks, LCB, that is thoughtful of you. I will share anecdotal stuff and ideas, but not exact locations on a public forum. If you have any questions for me, feel free to pm.

I don't call myself a researcher, and am sure that old-school people would laugh at me for some of the conclusions I have reached. Guess I'm in the Thom Powell camp, whose recent talks have discussed "science vs. intel". I'm a data miner, basically. I read obsessively about any interest, no different this one. So I find much of value in historic reports, even old ones. When I find interesting ones, I check the sat maps, taking note of all the features. I just want to learn more for myself about how and why they do what they do.

One thing I have concluded, that is nothing new, is that they use water more than we'd expect. Consider this report from the middle of a city in Ohio.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=14646

Here's one of my favorites.  Used to watch fireworks sitting above the ravine at the presently known area Hafer Park from 1984 on...........BFRO report #4081, Oklahoma County.  

Yah that one deserves a second look, or in my case a first look, really a fascinating story of a juvenile.

Report # 4081  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Monday, April 08, 2002. Early morning sighting of young sasquatch in snow (Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 1982

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: January

DATE: 15

STATE: Oklahoma

COUNTY: Oklahoma County

LOCATION DETAILS: Ravine at entrance to Hafer Park, at 9th and Bryant. The ravine runs parallell to Bryant.

From I-35, take Edmond Road (2nd St) west to Bryant, then south on Bryant to 9th. This is the entrance to Hafer Park.

NEAREST TOWN: Edmond

NEAREST ROAD: Bryant Avenue

OBSERVED: Winter, 1982:
On this occasion, there had been a big snowstorm, and nothing was moving on the streets. There weren't even any tire tracks. I was about fifteen years old, and worked at a fast-food restaurant about a mile north of this location, and was forced to walk home because my father had called and told me that conditions were so bad he couldn't get the car out of the drive. The heavy blanket of snow made visibility good, reflecting light as it does. As I cleared some trees to the east, I observed movement to my left through peripheral vision, and looked to my left into the ravine, and saw a figure apparently playing in the snow.

For an instant, I thought that it was a child wearing a dark colored snow suit, but as the moment passed, I became very aware that this was no child. I had a very clear view of it, and could see that it was black, or very close to black, and covered with long hair or fur from head to toe. It was probably around five feet tall, and weighed about 160lbs. The creature continued playing in the snow, bending over at the waist, and throwing snow up into the air with both hands in a wide scooping motion, throwing it up so that it came back down on its head. It also began rolling in the snow.

I felt stark terror at the sight of the thing. I was also very unnerved knowing that I was very far from any residential area, in the early morning, and that there was absolutely no traffic on the road.

The creature was only about thirty to thirty-five yards from me, and I had about an eighth of a mile to clear until I was out of sight of the creature. I thought about running, but I feared that my footfall and rapid motion would catch the thing's attention and that it would then begin chasing me as is instinctive for a lot of animals.

The point is, I had quite a bit of time to view this thing, and the longer I looked at it, the more I realized that what I was looking at did not fit any rational explanation. Once I was out of sight, and I thought I was out of earshot, I ran as fast and as far as I could.

This area is now a park, Hafer Park, but at the time, nothing was there but a wooded area and the ravine, which is a drainage ditch. Even now, with the park, there is still a good deal of wooded area there.

David A. Farris, author of "Mysterious Oklahoma," says that locals have dubbed this creature the "skunkape," reportedly because of its terrible odor. I did not smell anything in this incident, but I have a very poor sense of smell and serious sinus and allergy problems which are routinely exasperated by the cold weather.

OTHER WITNESSES: No, none besides myself

OTHER STORIES: Have heard of accounts of other smaller statured "bigfoots" or "skunk apes", but the closest sightings I know of were in El Reno. I remember seeing a story about these creatures on a local television news broadcasts a couple of years after this incident, but can't remember many details.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Between 1:30-2:30 am. Heavy, heavy snowfall, enough to stop any traffic on the roadway. The blanket of snow added visibility by reflection. Very cold, of course.

ENVIRONMENT: Just off a 4 lane roadway. At the time, no residences or businesses were within about a mile, except to the north. The area to the east of the roadway was a creek/drainage ditch, becoming wooded area the a short distance from the roadway. To the west, a field, and wooded area beyond. A shopping center to the north, about half a mile.

The area where the creature was actually standing was a creek bottom (rarely filled with much water).

Follow-up investigation report:

The date shown is only a rough guess.

The witness is a thirteen year veteran of a metro area police department.

This is a resubmission of an old report.

spacer.gif   Copyright © 2015 BFRO.net

spacer.gif

Ya JKH this one reminds me of my own encounter. Although I was not privileged to see the individual it was obvious from its tone,

which was very similar to a youngish girl, that it was not an adult, but later I heard its parent responding to it with a completely lower

tone, nothing like the juvenile, which also ruled out anything animal.  When my wife and I heard in on July 4 2013 whooping out of

pure excitement or fear, I guess it could be either, well our response was who is that kid making those whoops?  Later on the 12th

at 3:50am, awake due to anxiety, I hear that same exact voice, I mean you know right away it is the very same voice box, it is that

distinctive.  Then its parent responds with a similar vocal but much deeper and lower, man I tell you what it gets the hairs on your kneck

crawling, dummy that I was I didn't realize to run downstairs and try to catch a quick glimpse, instead I was a bit paralyzed.  Not from

fear but from my mind racing to comprehend it. Then comes the cognitive dissonance and brain fog, that lasted for several days, which

also made me realize that it was no common sound I heard, and now I am obsessed in trying to document what I know is out there, and

what I know visited my little yard once upon a time.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Guest lightheart

LCB

It is interesting that you bring up cognitive dissonance.....I have been thinking about that for a few days. Every direct experience I have had with the hairy ones has had after effects. When it is happening the feeling is surreal. You can almost feel the mind struggling to make sense of what is happening. My immediate response has not been fear at all.....actually more like a sense of deep calm which has allowed me to just continue along as if it did not happen and hold my space. I think running is not a good idea, might trigger them to chase you anyway.

But when I get home and for a few days after, what actually happened kind of sets in and I feel a little unsettled......Sometimes I take a week off from hiking there and just go to the beach instead to give myself some time to process the experience and get rebalanced. For me it is like a delayed reaction and I sometimes marvel at what I did or didn't do during the few minutes of the experience. I try to hold it all lightly and with a sense of humor. You have to be able to laugh at your own responses or it would start to mess with you I think......

Interesting ... big "hmm".    As I perceive what you're describing, it is very much like what I've experienced.   Sort of a temporary mental fog.   The only real difference is I seem to process it a bit quicker.   Detachment ... not just a lack of fear, but particularly an out-of-character lack of curiosity and lack of initiative.   

A good friend has described the same thing.  Knowing sasquatches were there.   Knocks, yells, heavy footsteps.  She said her mind would not allow her eyes to look where the sounds came from, where the overwhelmed rational part of her knew they were.  She could look everywhere else.   She could not allow herself to see them even though she knew they were there.

Tangential thought ... something here is ringing a bell.   Native American shaman?   Bigfoot?   About developing the ability to stand in front of a person and not be seen.   Someone fill in the pieces, please?     Connection?  Coincidence?

MIB

• 2 weeks later...

Just something odd that struck me on my recent trip to Florida, both of the Super 8 motels I stayed at were adjacent to very squatchy little

tracks of land, Homewood near Birmingham, and Dothan on the south end.  Has anyone ever heard a report from someone spending a night

in a motel, and if so where, because just like the haunted house business that attracts tourism, the squatchy motel could become an interesting

vacation destination.  Or maybe a Cabin on a lake like the Monsterquest episode.  In any case I think someone should create a book something

like a Squatchy One Tank Trips if you know what I mean.

On the urban end, I really was amazed how Orlando is completely surrounded by immensely suitable habitat, as well as

many of the cities along the route, as you drive across this nation you quickly realize how much forest is in tact, and how

little the dense population areas are compared to the rural and wild areas, I think that these creatures are doing very well,

and are not in danger of extinction, but rather are growing in numbers as areas that were clear cut in the 1800s are now

reforested, and that trend is showing up in the resurgence of all wildlife moving back into formerly inhabited areas, like

I mentioned the Timber Wolf, Cougars, and Black Bears finding their way back into Northern Illinois. 

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

^^^This.  Pretty much.

I remember a BFRO from AL of a guy seeing one in early morning outside the hotel he'd spent the night.  Haven't found it yet though.

MIB, Native beliefs about not looking at them, maybe? Or Thom Powell shared something about them being able to get close without our perception, maybe that was Native, also.

LCB, I think you're right on, that's what we've been going on about for awhile. The urban audio I posted some time ago was recorded in back of a hotel that was on a small river. Anybody can find this out, no wilderness required, although some nearby is good. :)

Just something odd that struck me on my recent trip to Florida, both of the Super 8 motels I stayed at were adjacent to very squatchy little

tracks of land, Homewood near Birmingham, and Dothan on the south end.  Has anyone ever heard a report from someone spending a night

in a motel, and if so where, because just like the haunted house business that attracts tourism, the squatchy motel could become an interesting

vacation destination.  Or maybe a Cabin on a lake like the Monsterquest episode.  In any case I think someone should create a book something

like a Squatchy One Tank Trips if you know what I mean.

I just wanted to unpack this a bit more, if you don't mind. I have certainly read a number of reports and recall maybe a dozen more or less, if you include Bed & Breakfast establishments as well. It is an interesting question and one I never really gave much thought to them chiefly because they were so few in number. But yes I know some Motel/ Bed & Breakfast reports exist but never thought to set aside the narratives.

On the urban end, I really was amazed how Orlando is completely surrounded by immensely suitable habitat, as well as

many of the cities along the route, as you drive across this nation you quickly realize how much forest is in tact, and how

little the dense population areas are compared to the rural and wild areas, I think that these creatures are doing very well,

and are not in danger of extinction, but rather are growing in numbers as areas that were clear cut in the 1800s are now

reforested, and that trend is showing up in the resurgence of all wildlife moving back into formerly inhabited areas, like

I mentioned the Timber Wolf, Cougars, and Black Bears finding their way back into Northern Illinois. 

Edited by Gumshoeye

I was thinking the same thing on a recent trip to Florida LCB.

Our hotel was situated on a very busy highway with lots of restaurants and shops in the vicinity but to the side of our hotel was a creek with substantial woodland on either side.

We were based very close to a BFRO sighting that took place south of us in Poinciana. We were also a short drive from Green Swamp where many Skunk Ape sightings have been reported.

Central Florida is of course highly populated with lots of towns and cities. However these populated areas are segmented and divided by thick wooded areas and creek bed areas which BF could use as corridors to travel undetected between wilderness areas.

SSR Team

^^^This.  Pretty much.

I remember a BFRO from AL of a guy seeing one in early morning outside the hotel he'd spent the night.  Haven't found it yet though.

Thanks me later..;)

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?ID=25559&PrinterFriendly=True

A former co-worker of mine had an experience on the sand bars of the Wisconsin when he was a kid.  He never knew what it was.  It wasn't until he heard about wood knocks that it made sense.  Basically, he and his brother were on the sand bars (some of which are islands that have trees) and he picked up a piece of driftwood and was trying to break it against a tree (swinging it like a baseball bat).

He thought at first what he was hearing was a really weird echo, but it was taking too long and it wasn't the same number of hits.   He would swing once or twice, then a few seconds later, he'd hear what he figured was someone else doing the same thing across the river.  Never saw anything, but he said it weirded him out pretty good back then.

A few times in this neck of the woods, I've been out by where there's a new subdivision going up, early in the day, and there will be a builder hammering something "Whack whack whack" ... and 3-5 seconds will pass, then out over the fields seeming to come from one of the woodlines will be faint "return" knocks. For all I know it's a farmer chopping wood or nailing at the same time at the start of the work day, but, it's mighty intriguing how it seems to happen so often when you start listening for it.

• masterbarber locked this topic