Urban Bigfoot Seriously?(2)

Guest Admin

I revisit the subject after reading the following report recently submitted to the BFRO, this one is worth a read and a listen to the recordings.

Report # 48824  (Class B) 
Submitted by witness on Sunday, May 31, 2015.

Ongoing activity and possible vocalizations recorded near Detroit Metro Airport

(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2012

SEASON: Unknown

DATE: 9/15/2012

STATE: Michigan

COUNTY: Wayne County

NEAREST TOWN: Romulus

OBSERVED: I have been hearing these howls for 6-7 years now possibly more. At first I thought it was a person. But as I heard it more I realized its not. 

Hear it mostly at night after dark , but occasionally during daylight hours. Live not too far from metro airport. Sometimes planes are louder and seem lower than other times. I have noted howls are much increased with heavy plane traffic. 

Also seem more active on very hot humid nights. 
I have heard what appears to be more than one howling together. But then the coyote all get howling and its hard to tell.

It usually goes like this, apx 1am I will hear several howls like you hear on recording. This gets all the dogs around here barking. Then barking dies down and another howl....dogs barking...and on and on.continues all night increasing just before daybreak. Then quiet mostly with light of day. 

I have heard this deep humanish howl alone mostly. And all the years I have been hearing it its the same voice/howl. A few times I heard it with a similar howl but higher pitched. 
Occasionally I hear it with coyote. Hard to tell if its howling with coyote. Or if coyote just howl because they hear it. It's always its howl first and usually before it stops the coyote start their yips n howls.

It usually follows a pattern of movement. Comes in from west travels east, hangs out a long time just east of our house then continues on past our house until I cannot hear it , then comes back heading west again passing our house. I know this because I wait till its howls have diminished off to east before I go outside to the barn or what ever I need to do out there after dark.

I have been out in back a distance from house and heard it howl and it sounding like its only feet away. Incredibly loud. And unnerving. But not nearly as unnerving as it is now (then I thought it was possibly a wolf) now that you think it may be a saqsuach. Well that explains a few things. 

They say there are no wolves in this area, but I have actually seen a wolf pack chasing deer out of the woods. Happened last fall right across the road. I think the wolves follow the migrating deer herds.

In the winter everything gets quiet. Even with last years mild winter. Have not heard howl since around last Christmas. (2012) 

I recorded it because I was not sure what it was. I have heard coyote, wolves and dogs howl but this was different. Must have massive lung capacity to be able to sustain a loud and yodeling howl for as long as it does. Not sure how to feel about this. I think it may have been sleeping in my barn on a few occasions.

OTHER WITNESSES: No.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Answered above.

ENVIRONMENT: Wooded, fields, rivers.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Jim Sherman:

I received notification that I was going to be sent some possible Sasquatch recordings from a witness in Wayne County. I took this with a healthy dose of skepticism because much of Wayne County is made up of the Detroit Metro area. I live in a suburb of Detroit so any report near me needs extra scrutiny. I received the recordings and was warned that they were taken from a cell phone so the quality was not perfect. The witness stated that they thought there were homeless people living in the barn on the property and they just wanted to know if I could identify the sounds. Initially, the witness had no inclination that the vocals might be created by something other than a human or an animal commonly found in the area.

I listened to the audio. Even from a cell phone recorder these were powerful. They could be a person. They did not sound like any kind of canine. Maybe there were homeless people living in the barn. Homeless people with some lung capacity. Why would a homeless person make noises like that? Wouldn't they want to remain hidden in the barn? I listened to the vocals over and over. With nothing else to go on I had to say that they sounded "human-like" and certainly not dog or coyote. I contacted the witness and we began a long term relationship that has continued to this day. 

Here are the vocals. I only made them louder so they were easier to hear from a computer but I did not manipulate them in any way other than to edit them for time. Both recordings went on for over two minutes so I eliminated the dead air. Listen first and then read on to see the corroborative evidence that we later collected.

I looked into the area of the recordings before I contacted the witness again. I found that the area around the property contains three Metroparks that contain the Huron River. A small tributary of the Huron River runs through my yard so this was a pretty interesting thing to discover. The Lower Huron, Willow and Oakwoods Metroparks are not connected but the area in between the parks could be crossed with minimal road interruptions. There are more fields there than one might expect to find and they usually have wooded areas defining the property lines. During daylight hours, animals like deer will stay in the tree line areas and then move to the edges as dusk approaches. When darkness falls they move onto the fields themselves and often enjoy jumping across the roads to keep drivers on their toes. Would it be possible for me to try to move unseen through that area and go from Metropark to Metropark and still end up near the property where the witness recorded the vocals? I decided to test it. I started with Google Maps and a satellite view. It looked possible but not during the day. I found a canal that ran close enough to the property to afford more cover. With that data it looked possible. Then I had to travel to the area and see it with my own eyes. I believe that I could make it unseen at night moving through those areas. The Metroparks are closed and the only fear I would have would be the roads I would have to cross. It was time to talk to the witness. It sounds like a lot of background work but it ended up proving useful.

The witness was very pleasant to talk to. They did not want neighbors to know what was going on so we worked with secrecy in mind. I remember discussing using a vehicle that did not have any Bigfoot stickers on it. The witness stated that they believed something was using their barn, particularly in the winter. They thought that it was homeless people until strange things began to happen and then the howls began. The witness found strange "X" structures made of logs in the woods. They seemed to be placed on trails that were used when out exploring. The witness tore them down thinking that they had been placed by poachers. Later, more were found and new pines trees that the witness had just planted were torn up and pulled from the ground. The witness felt that whoever or whatever had placed the "X" structures killed the pine trees in retaliation for removing the log "X's." Tree structures are used by primates like chimps and apes to mark territory or direction of travel. Some researchers believe that Sasquatch might also use tree structures to clarify territory or otherwise communicate. The tree structures also took the form of branches broken, twisted and/or woven to make interesting designs that would seem difficult for nature and gravity to duplicate.

Every month or so the witness would contact me with something new. One time peacock feathers were appearing on her porch. This sounds a little less spectacular when I found that she kept pet peacocks. But the feathers were ripped apart and possibly chewed then placed somewhere that they would be found. The witness felt that these might be gifts of some kind.

Once, a picture from a bag of cat food was found placed in a chicken wire fence in the barn. The face of the cat had been carefully ripped out and seemed like it was placed there with purpose. The witness thought that maybe the cats were missed as they never went near the barn after the howls started. 

Another time the witness believed they had seen something out of the corner of their eye moving behind the garage. It was raining at the time but when the witness returned later possible footprints, a hand print and scuff marks could be seen. The rain came again and washed them away before they could be properly measured but it looked like someone had bent down in the mud and left a footprint and them used their hand to either prop themselves up or push up to stand. The photos appear in the video above. If the cell phone is standard size, the prints are well within the range of a human. Yes, a human in bare feet during a rainstorm--but taken alone, that is not enough evidence. It might add to the cumulative evidence.

The last and most interesting part of the story involves what the witness describes as "Amish people talking." Voices have been heard on the property speaking in a language that is not familiar to the witness. In fact it has been described a sounding like an Amish deaf person. We have tried unsuccessfully to record these sounds. Whenever the witness hears them they are too quiet to be recorded. They have not been heard for at least a year now. This bit of information caught my attention. Because I have heard first hand some gibberish sounding noises. Mine were in central Michigan and sounded like whispers in a dialect I was unfamiliar with. Later I managed to record something similar from that location that was not a whisper and that is available below:

Is there a possibility that a Sasquatch could live twenty or so miles away from Detroit? I have three fawns in my backyard right now and I live in a more urban area than the property where the vocals were recorded. If a deer can live here maybe a more elusive being can live closer to human populations than I had believed. We will keep the location under surveillance and keep you all posted.

I lived in Austin Texas for a number of years. Deer were everywhere to the point that traffic jams occurred in business areas.

I don't think deer are an accurate indicator of "squatchiness".

• Upvote 1

While I think certain areas are not conducive to long term use, I think Sasquatch do venture into Urbanish areas from time to time in pursuit of game,

this was a possible explanation for the foot prints found in the snow on the western part of Chicago last winter along a railway with ample travel corridors,

The point I have made throughout this thread is that as long as they can be concealed in the daytime and travel at night, the possibility exists for them

to live in close proximity to humans, and even near Urban Metros like Chicago, or as in the above case Detroit, and I dare say Austin, but without having

researched the area I would not know where they would hide and travel.  This is no small revelation and it took me some time and some experience of the

first hand type to come to such a conclusion.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that most excellent report when it came out, it's classic really. Jim S is really smart. It can be compared to other metro areas where these things consistently happen. I haven't driven around there, but I imagine it's a very sprawling urban area much like OKC and others of older vintage. In some places, much of the space on the maps isn't used but deserted, especially at night.

I'm traveling through there soon and tried to find a way to do a short stay there, but no luck.

There has been urban sightings for years here in East Orlando. The area around Econ Park (Goldenrod Rd.) has several that rummage through trash cans at night. People have always said; "Don't go around Econ Park at night..." LOL! I've been in those woods several times... Very creepy! Could be a visual/mental effect of the surrounding environment, but it's not a place most people would feel comfortable in. 

Included is a report from the the Econ Park area... These areas are less than 5 miles from our residence. 

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=32746

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=36004

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=25577

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=41275

Here is one from the Oviedo area... Lots of sighting in the Rock Springs area as well. You can sometimes hear their wailing cries, even in broad daylight.

YEAR: 1980

SEASON: Spring

STATE: Florida

COUNTY: Orange County

LOCATION DETAILS: Its 20 Miles from orlando florida

NEAREST TOWN: Orlando

NEAREST ROAD: Apopka hwy

OBSERVED: A few years back I lived in plymouth florida.We lived in a wooded area, in front of the house there was an orange grove. Beside us was a swamp, around that was a wooded area. I use to walk through the woods with my rifle just to feel safe. There was an old couple that had a farm across from the woods. I got to know them pretty well . I would go there for coffee. The old man and his wife would tell me stories about this Bigfoot. The farmer said that the bigfoot comes into his garden and take his crops. "I said Oh really", I did not beleave him, and that was that. Until one night I was home alone with my puppy dog.We were sitting on the pourch, and you couldn't see three feet in front of you. I heard this noise brakeing through the brush. I got so scared I ran into the house, grabed my rifle and stood behind the front door,I could hardly move. Then I heard whatever it was, go around the back of the house.It tryed to get into the door. I ran out the front door into the orange groves, I kept on running. My foot got caught on a root of a tree and I fell. I rolled into the swamp, and lost my rifel.
I looked back and I saw bigfoot. I got up and ran to the road. There was a truck that stoped to help. I called my friends thay came over and the whole back door was riped off. The farmer said to me ......" I told you so".

ALSO NOTICED: I moved from there the next day, at my sister-in laws house

OTHER WITNESSES: Just me no one else.

OTHER STORIES: There are alot of strange things out there, there are some footprints in cast that people got in rock springs fla.

ENVIRONMENT: orange groves, woods, swamps

Last winter, as part of my PGA affiliation, I attended the Orlando PGA merchandise show, contrary to my conceptions I found vast areas suitable for these

creatures, even bordering the edges of the dense part of the Metro, 20 miles out is no doubt a rural to semi-rural setting, much as where I live near Chicago, the fact of the matter is that the only thing limiting these creatures is suitable daytime cover, they will venture out from that cover at night, but only so far as they can safely return before daylight, these night time jaunts are the majority of sightings and activity people detect. I do think that the Swamp Ape is nothing more than a southern Sasquatch, and you still have different types, both One and Two Types are present in Florida. I spent hours driving around in the green swamp hoping for a road crossing, instead I almost got into a road altercation with a native who took offense to my Illinois plates and decided to high beam me for a mile or two at about 10 yards max trailing distance. They found out I am not the guy to mess with in that fashion as I swiftly pulled of the road, and forced them ahead, only to give them the same treatment in return. We got road rage down in these parts of Chicago, so don't mess with the Illinois guy in the future....LOL...my commute to work each day is 45 miles per way and I do much of that on interstate 294 or 94 North, I generally speed as I cannot temper myself to 65 mph, the left lane is usually moving around 90 mph, but I often catch myself at speeds in excess of 100 mph, strange way to live in retrospective, part of the price of wanting the best of all worlds so to speak.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

If I remember correctly, you found the prairie near Nebraska's Merritt Reservoir suitable bigfoot habitat. Sparse trees, and sagebrush  growing rarely more than three feet off the ground.

Perhaps a bit of wistful thinking, if I may suggest.

Last year we had a problem with wild boars coming into our yard, rooting underneath the oak trees. Sometimes they would show-up 8 at a time. I was once charged by a female while shooting targets at the Oviedo glider field, so I know how brazen these animals can be. I saw 3 babies running left, and mama came directly for me! I was too far from my truck to run for it, so I had no choice but to take a knee, and defend myself. I hit her with at least 5 rounds of 9mm para, and she didn't even break-stride! The last round must have hit her in the right spot, because broke left to the wood line, not 4 feet in front of me. If she had got me... :(

Lesson: Never go into the woods with anything less than a .357 Magnum. 

My point is, is that if wild boars (which are extremely smart) are brazen enough to enter into populated areas, why would a superior animal not? I was in the bathroom one evening, and something on two feet ran across the roof of our home! There was no mistaking the sound. Whatever it was dented the top of the cap on the back of my pickup truck, and also bent the gutter. The end of a gutter spout looked like it had been stuck into a disposal! Why anything would rip apart an aluminum gutter spout, I have no idea? I can't think of any known animal in the area that could do that.

Several weeks later, I went outside (2:00 am) to put garbage bags into the can. Just before opening the lid, I heard the creepiest sound that I have ever heard in my life! It was so loud that my fiance heard it inside of the house (at the far end), with the TV on. The security light activated, and an arm came from the back of the tree, and then a face emerged! I have lived in Florida since 1974, spent many nights in Ocala National training as a member of the Florida National Guard, and I have never seen an animal like the one I saw that night.

I followed its shoulder - to the elbow - to the wrist - to its hand... That's right, it had four fingers and a thumb, which it was using to hold onto the tree. The skin on the face was black, and were the hands. The hair was light brown. It remained frozen, staring at me. I took one step toward it, then another, but it didn't move an inch. This was a positive indication that I needed to keep space between me and it. I wanted to move around to get a look at the back, but I didn't know how it would react. I decided to go into the house to get my fiance, but by the time we made it out, it was gone. I could clearly see that it had pointed ears, somewhat of a snout, and a canine type nose. I looked through all know animal species in Florida, but nothing matched what I saw that morning. It did not look threatening, but it didn't look "happy" either... Its movement into position was eerily intelligent! Not at all what one would expect from a wild animal.

I'm going to have to assume it was (is) some kind of exotic pet that had gotten loose. I've been looking for visual match to what I had seen, but have not yet found anything that matches-up. The closest I have found is a Lemur.  

Edited by 67Mopar

How large was this?

It's difficult to say for sure, because it may have been sitting in the crux of the tree. I don't know for certain, as I could not see behind the tree. If it was sitting, I would say 3' tall. If standing, 5' maybe. It appeared to be curious about what I was doing. Maybe it was hungry? I was in the house less then 1 minute, and it was gone when we came out.

We have roofers coming on Oct. 1st to replace damaged ridge venting. Something, or someone tore a 4' section of the vent away from the roof. That's how the estimator described it. I noticed it a few weeks ago when I went out to mow. One week after I found the chewed spout section laying in the middle of the yard. It was still connected by a section of the aluminum, so it didn't come all the way off. Even from the ground, I could see that the metal was partially torn. WTF? I knew it wasn't corroded, because aluminum doesn't rust. The estimator thought it was odd as well. 

The sound that it made before it emerged from behind the tree sounded like someone crumbling paper in front of a microphone, accompanied by a whistling sound. Stopped me in my tracks! I've never heard anything like it. 

67Mopar

You do know that all metal does go back to its natural state no matter what metal it is except stainless and maybe even that may corrode.

Some pics of the damage, as well as one of the tree, would be awesome, 67Mopar. Any chance you could share some? Thanks!

Will do! I secured the ridge vent back to the roof, but the damage is still there. I would rather not get back onto the roof, as it's hot as ballz up there! You can see the damage from the ground, so hopefully I can get a revealing shot of it... I'll tell the roofers to leave that section of the venting. 

Edited by 67Mopar

• masterbarber locked this topic