Daniel Perez

The Big Tree In The P-G Film

Daniel Perez

The "Big Tree" as seen in the P-G film as shot by me in October 2014. Have a look, as the the late René Dahinden used to say.

post-719-0-59473600-1427672009_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Backdoc

Thanks Daniel.

I hope people can use the measurements of this tree to come up with Patty's height. Not essential, but it would be nice top help complete he picture.

Backdoc

SweatyYeti

Thanks for posting that image, Daniel. :)

To give the width of the Big Tree some scale...here is an overlay of a recent image of it....(of Steven Streufert's)...

DanielPerez-BigTree-StevenStreufertImage

Presently, the tree is 7' in diameter. 

BFBM-BigTree-Image2Rot1_zpsedxt6lau.jpg

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 1

Drew

Does anyone have a shot  from the PGF showing the Big Tree?

You need to figure out what kind of tree it is, and how large it would have been in the Patty film, as it is easy to see. May be difficult to assess.

SweatyYeti

Does anyone have a shot  from the PGF showing the Big Tree?

Here is a high-quality image, Drew... 

F352-MKAAA-Crop1B_zpsah33ui5g.jpg

And, a side-by-side comparison of the Tree...then and now...

Perez%20Big%20Tree%20Photo-F352%20Comp1_

Ok, but how far away is the tree in the PG film? This needs simple triangulation. Could that possibly be the SAME aspen tree? I don't think they live 50 years. That tree looks to be very slow growing also.

It looks about the same, as in no width growth. I guess you could do some type of overlay.

So, overlay the tree-hugging picture with the Patty picture, to show scale of human. TINY

So how wide is the creek bed? Can we figure out how wide the creek bed is to the tree area? Or is it called the ''Flood area''.

Edited by Wag

salubrious

That tree is ancient to be that big- it is likely over five hundred years old.

So its bole will not have changed size significantly in the last 50 years.

Backdoc

^^

Using that fact, can we then use the known size of that tree to determine more info about Patty?

Backdoc

spudsquatch

If only it could speak ,,,,

SweatyYeti

Ok, but how far away is the tree in the PG film? This needs simple triangulation. Could that possibly be the SAME aspen tree? I don't think they live 50 years. That tree looks to be very slow growing also.

It is hard to believe that that could be the same tree, Wag...even though it looks like they're in the same location. Maybe it's one of it's offspring??

It looks about the same, as in no width growth. I guess you could do some type of overlay.

The scaling I chose for those images was arbitrary. The Tree must be wider than it was in '67, I would think. :)

So, overlay the tree-hugging picture with the Patty picture, to show scale of human. TINY

Here is an overlay of the Tree...(yeah, he does look rather small, at that distance....approx. 200')...

F352-BFBM-BigTreeOverlay1_zpsl8bzcxub.jp

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 1

Doc Holliday

well, since its the PGF it's  not a real tree, its a dude in a suit.... I know a guy that knows a guy that saw the tree suit but won't expose it   ;)

but seriously, there are so many variables that control tree / plant growth such as time , temps , droughts, average rainfall, soil quality....... imo, a guess-timate at best as to how much it actually grew,  if its the same tree..

... but I must admit, this is about the 1st new angle to discuss about the film  I've heard lately,  so please, rock on my friends.

Edited by Doc Holliday

SweatyYeti

Using that fact, can we then use the known size of that tree to determine more info about Patty?

Backdoc

The Tree's diameter might lead to a solution to the 'lens size', Backdoc. 

If the diameter of the tree as it was in 1967 can be determined...(possibly measured directly, by cutting into the tree)...then that known diameter can be used to precisely calculate...(using pixels-per-inch)...the height of the Tree that is visible within F352. 

We would then have 3 of the 4 numbers needed for the Lens Formula, with a high degree of accuracy....the height of one object in the scene...it's percentage of the Frame height...and it's distance from the camera.

That information may be enough to distinguish between a 20MM lens, and a 25MM lens.

Edited by SweatyYeti

I still don't think Patty's height is going to be nailed to the inch, whatever anyone does with the tree images. Personally I don't think anything much closer than about 6 inches to her height is really doable. Like the tree itself, too many variables.