DWA

Well...hmmmm. What Have We Here.

coffee2go

Looks like some scientific evidence.

DWA

When I see backstory like that...you got my attention.

First thing I thought:  bogus website.  I got tired of working that angle, very quickly.  Backstory will do that.  (Edited to add:  so will finding so many legit links that you gotta be kidding me working that angle.)  So will a track of the kind the video would lead one to expect, and a video of the kind the track would lead one to expect...plus over *300 meters* of such tracks...going right to the camera.

Edited to add:  plus a sound at the end that nothing else in NA makes; plus these scientists looking for other evidence, and how 'bout, finding hair that no one can match with anything known.

To anyone tossing the usual scoff brickbats all I can say is:  the denial is strong in that one, Luke.

Edited by DWA

Good job finding that article and clip DWA.

DWA

I was on a website today when I made a comment about a lady who said, I have waited sixty years to be a grandparent!  I said, so what, I have waited 47 years for Bigfoot!

One of the other posters replied.  Just that link.

How 'bout that.  The site couldn't be less related to Bigfoot.

DWA

I did just remind myself:  it's April Fool's Day.  And keep in mind we only have their word on much of this.  But I would go on record saying what a stupid joke, particularly since Dr. Zimmerling appears authentic, and wouldn't he be the boy who cried wolf after this one.

Edited to add:  it's on YouTube, and notice the date:  March 31.  

Edited by DWA

Spader

Spoken like true scientists AND skeptics. They all but said they thought it was a Bigfoot. But never said the B word. I don't think we will ever hear about those hair samples again though. Except maybe to say that the tests were "inconclusive."

Oh, and as DWA said, it is April Fools day, but that would be a stupid joke. But Happy April Fools day anyway!

Edited by Spader

ewashguy56

interesting. Will see where this may go........

DWA

Spoken like true scientists AND skeptics. They all but said they thought it was a Bigfoot. But never said the B word. I don't think we will ever hear about those hair samples again though. Except maybe to say that the tests were "inconclusive."

Oh, and as DWA said, it is April Fools day, but that would be a stupid joke. But Happy April Fools day anyway!

The thing is:  unless P/G and the Peguis Manitoba 2007 video and all the tracks are faked...this is the only truly serious Bigfoot joke I have ever seen.

Those who specialize in hip-shoot analysis and never think about the details will totally gloss over how practically every single subtlety one would expect in a legitimate scientific newsflash is present here.  And at least one of the persons involved appears real; the website appears legitimate...and what if these jokers actually *did* encounter something legitimate after this?

It is truly an Ignorance Landmark that anyone would utterly fail to think about what relevant scientists have said about this...and then go to this effort *as a joke*.  Really, this is as good a fake as you will ever see, if it is...and that is saying exactly what I want it to say about the quality of the fakes.  All of them.  There has never been a good bigfoot fake.

Edited to note:  both of the scientists coming across this appear legitimate too.  If this is a joke, I count three careers, kaput.  Anyone who'd just laugh at this and hire any of these people, I'll tell to his face he's no scientist, and he can wave all the degrees at me he wants.

Edited by DWA

Spader

We've been "fooled". Just saw the updated film on their site. It was an April fools joke. Well, my day is back to normal.

DWA

Wow.  That's unbelievable.  I mean before going to all that trouble, people, *crack a book.*  (And I mean, that is a lot of trouble for a joke.)

And yep, everything I said stands.  For just the reasons I said.  Read *up.*  No legitimate scientist could make a joke like this.

Know what I am hoping?  Karma bites these folks.  They have a legitimate experience, and just get laughed at.

But I do have something else to say, for all those people who are gonna get all despondent about Our Hopes Being Dashed Yet Again:

1.  READ UP.

2.  From a very astute commentator on another site:  [M]y first thoughts are still that people are honest and know what they are doing and talking about, and wait untill I’m proven wrong, not the other way around. Believe me, it’s faster – foul things get obvious quickly, while the other way keeps you in the dark. History of science is full of examples of manipulation and stolen credits, so you might miss the right thing if your perception and thinking operate in a negative mode. Dealing with frequent disappointments is worth it. As Dr Ian Stevenson once said (not an exact quote): it’s much better to be 51% sure in something important, than 99% sure in something trivial. - Degnostik

Edited by DWA

DWA

We've been "fooled". Just saw the updated film on their site. It was an April fools joke. Well, my day is back to normal.

Mine too.  I've still never seen a good bigfoot joke.  Using one's scientific expertise to dress up something phony and pass it off as legitimate isn't a joke; it's actually dereliction of duty, as these people are just the kind of people the public trusts with this kind of stuff.  (Except for the less-than-month it took them to get tests done, which did raise my eyebrows.  But again, they're biologists; and if two of them vouch for something it should get faster review than if you and I submitted it.)

If two total amateurs had set up a legit-looking website and done all the rest...now I gotta give that credit.

But these folk used their - and worse, their organization's - professional credibility to do this.  That's just skanky.

Edited by DWA

DWA

The thing is:  unless P/G and the Peguis Manitoba 2007 video and all the tracks are faked...this is the only truly serious Bigfoot joke I have ever seen.

Right.  Forgot.  Gotta walk that one back.  Again, if you use your professional credibility and your organization's website as your smokescreen:  cheesy.

salubrious

The track was a pretty obvious hoax. The lateral ridge is vertical and the track is flat.

The head sitting on top of the shoulders (instead of forward and down) is something that anyone should be able to spot. You can't just put on a gorilla suit. Being all 4/1 and all it seemed pretty obvious the park service was making a joke.