DWA

Well...hmmmm. What Have We Here.

Spader

DWA, I agree that using a legitimate organizations website to pull a joke like this is just pure wrong. They must know that they are the ones who people LISTEN to. Pulling a hoax, and yes it was a hoax not a joke (we can let the squints debate on the difference between the two words) just makes Joe Public think that there is no legitimate science research going on in the Bigfoot world. Looking back I should have asked why they didn't include a picture of the 3000 meter or however long the trackway was leading up to the game cam. Shame on me for letting myself get ahead of myself because it WAS exciting.

I'll bet Dyer wishes he could pull off one that good.

DWA

The track was a pretty obvious hoax. The lateral ridge is vertical and the track is flat.

The head sitting on top of the shoulders (instead of forward and down) is something that anyone should be able to spot. You can't just put on a gorilla suit. Being all 4/1 and all it seemed pretty obvious the park service was making a joke.

There was no head in the initial video, probably because they knew showing that would be an obvious tipoff.  Nothing morphological in the initial video other than "[apparently] tall and bipedal."

The video was put on YouTube 3/31.  A decently-played April Fool joke is dated 4/1 as a tip that the joke's on you if you don't catch that.

And the shot of the track can't be used as an up or down.  In fact, most of what made this interesting is *what was said,* not what is on the video or in the photo.

Which is what I am talking about.  

1.  If you know enough about the topic to do this, shame on you.  You should be intelligent enough to see it might just not be a joke.

2.  If you use your professional affiliation and that of your organization to screen your joke, you've besmirched both.  Double shame on you.

DWA, I agree that using a legitimate organizations website to pull a joke like this is just pure wrong. They must know that they are the ones who people LISTEN to. Pulling a hoax, and yes it was a hoax not a joke (we can let the squints debate on the difference between the two words) just makes Joe Public think that there is no legitimate science research going on in the Bigfoot world. Looking back I should have asked why they didn't include a picture of the 3000 meter or however long the trackway was leading up to the game cam. Shame on me for letting myself get ahead of myself because it WAS exciting.

I'll bet Dyer wishes he could pull off one that good.

No shame in sitting back and seeing what would come of this.  Red above:  word.

Edited by DWA

...... to dress up something phony and pass it off as legitimate isn't a joke; it's actually dereliction of duty,

Seriously?  That's sorta the definition of an april fools prank.  There was one last year where respected physicists posted an eleborate article about discovering the "God Particle".  It was hilarious...because many people bought it hook line and sinker.

If they get you, you're supposed to just laugh.  (SI got me a few years ago with a story about a back-country pitcher that could throw a 110 mph fastball..so don't feel bad)

DWA

Nope, if you are - as we have said up there more than once - the people the public look to for information on stuff like this, and you use your professional affiliation as your screen...it doesn't even rise to the level of "decent joke."

And the truly stupid thing about it is that the evidence says it's not a joke.  There are 40 people in Canada; and they've never heard of John Green or John Bindernagel?

Edited by DWA

LeafTalker

Personally, DWA, I think it's even worse than that.... Perhaps they did what they did at the behest of someone......... Using your position of authority to perpetrate a fraud, thereby casting doubt on all legitimate scientific research, is only shameless if the fraud you perpetrated was your own idea. If it was someone else's idea, it's not shameless anymore; it's something much worse. Get my drift?

Edited by LeafTalker

Rockape

Anyone who was fooled for even one moment by that should quit Bigfoot, you are too gullible.

• Upvote 3

DWA

Personally, DWA, I think it's even worse than that.... Perhaps they did what they did at the behest of someone......... Using your position of authority to perpetrate a fraud, thereby casting doubt on all legitimate scientific research, is only shameless if the fraud you perpetrated was your own idea. If it was someone else's idea, it's not shameless anymore; it's something much worse. Get my drift?

However one parses it, LT, it's just bad.  It doesn't even rise to the level of 'bad joke.'

Honestly, dating the YouTube video March 31 is just the kind of middle-school mentality that one has unfortunately come to associate with geeks.  It's an April Fool rule:  you have to date it April 1.  You do that and still take people in, I hand it to you.  If they'd had the story, then at the bottom of the story put the gag video...that might have been funny.

Instead, it just fuels the people who don't want to take this seriously; can't be bothered to think about it; and want to discredit the good science that's being done.  These people - at whoever's behest - used their scientific training and the cover of their organization and the people who fund that to push science backwards.  It was stupid at best and damaging at worst.  But too many people posting here don't really either understand science or get what stuff like this does to it; and in this case, at least three overpaid techies showed why in my book they're no scientists.

Divergent1

When I see backstory like that...you got my attention.

First thing I thought:  bogus website.  I got tired of working that angle, very quickly.  Backstory will do that.  (Edited to add:  so will finding so many legit links that you gotta be kidding me working that angle.)  So will a track of the kind the video would lead one to expect, and a video of the kind the track would lead one to expect...plus over *300 meters* of such tracks...going right to the camera.

Edited to add:  plus a sound at the end that nothing else in NA makes; plus these scientists looking for other evidence, and how 'bout, finding hair that no one can match with anything known.

To anyone tossing the usual scoff brickbats all I can say is:  the denial is strong in that one, Luke.

So what happened here to your sharply honed bigfoot critical thinking skills before you found out it was an April fools joke? 

• Upvote 2

LeafTalker

So what happened here to your sharply honed bigfoot critical thinking skills before you found out it was an April fools joke?

Why would you ask a question like that?

roguefooter

^Because it shows how people will strive to build credibility for something they want to be real.

• Upvote 2

Divergent1

I'm just carrying on a conversation we were having in the NAWAC thread where DWA told me that his years of experience from reading reports had helped him develop critical thinking skills regarding bigfoot evidence. 

• Upvote 2

Drew

Hook, Line and Sinker.

DWA, you should send the website this:

dwkO35.jpg

I made one for you DWA

OYEC20.jpg

Edited by Drew
  • Upvote 4

DWA

You saw them, all over the thread.  But your absence of critical thinking skills prohibited you from seeing that, because with bigfoot skeptics it's always "true believer" or One Of Us, no middle ground.  All science is in the middle ground.

Not even a decent joke.  "We discovered a new species of peccary.  APRIL FOOL!"  Did you think that was funny?  Me neither.  They "spoofed" research that is already going on, which is going to deliver proof.  Not on your timetable, which makes no difference.

A "joke" which reveals the jokers as ignorant is funny, just not in the way the jokers think it is.

When people have lost the argument, which he is doing on every thread we meet, they do stuff like that.  It's a specialty of bigfoot skeptics, who have nothing else, really, to say.

Edited by DWA

Celtic Raider

There was no head in the initial video, probably because they knew showing that would be an obvious tipoff.  Nothing morphological in the initial video other than "[apparently] tall and bipedal."

The video was put on YouTube 3/31.  A decently-played April Fool joke is dated 4/1 as a tip that the joke's on you if you don't catch that.

And the shot of the track can't be used as an up or down.  In fact, most of what made this interesting is *what was said,* not what is on the video or in the photo.

Which is what I am talking about.  

1.  If you know enough about the topic to do this, shame on you.  You should be intelligent enough to see it might just not be a joke.

2.  If you use your professional affiliation and that of your organization to screen your joke, you've besmirched both.  Double shame on you.

No shame in sitting back and seeing what would come of this.  Red above:  word.

Agree on this. I don't think it's a great 'joke'. It's not posted on April 1st for a start, secondly they go on to create an elaborate backstory and claim to have DNA tested hairs etc. I think anyone who is serious about nature and apes would be very interested in the initial story as the source is supposed to be legitimate, respectable and accountable. It piqued my interest certainly but I think anyone who got slightly excited is due a mulligan on this one due to the originator and backstory.

Divergent1

You saw them, all over the thread.  But your absence of critical thinking skills prohibited you from seeing that, because with bigfoot skeptics it's always "true believer" or One Of Us, no middle ground.  All science is in the middle ground.

Not even a decent joke.  "We discovered a new species of peccary.  APRIL FOOL!"  Did you think that was funny?  Me neither.  They "spoofed" research that is already going on, which is going to deliver proof.  Not on your timetable, which makes no difference.

A "joke" which reveals the jokers as ignorant is funny, just not in the way the jokers think it is.

When people have lost the argument, which he is doing on every thread we meet, they do stuff like that.  It's a specialty of bigfoot skeptics, who have nothing else, really, to say

I saw nothing of the kind DWA, all I saw was a giant teddy bear torso in the original vid that you pronounced authentic. And no, it wasn't a good joke because it was so obviously fake. I don't know why you put me in the skeptic category, based on what I have seen in the past that isn't supposed to exist. I'm pretty open to the possibility of bigfoot existing. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just messing with you a little bit because your responses are pretty funny. This thread is a perfect example of how funny you really are whether you mean to be or not. 

Edited by Divergent1