kitakaze

The Hoaxing Of Jerry Merritt

Rockape

Once you read the OP, yes, it becomes clear. But if someone doesn't, it would leave them thinking this Jerry Merrit guy pulled off a number of hoaxes.

kitakaze

Why don't you ask the only guy in the city of Yakima who admitted to wearing a Bigfoot suit and having one in his car?

That others are witness to him having a suit in his car?

That people have heard that he had a suit made from gray horsehide?

I have asked Bob, as well as a number of other people from Yakima. Heironimus had no involvement in the hoaxing of Merritt and were Bob to have been using a gray horsehide suit for hoaxing, it is still not a match for the reddish-brown described at the Merritt home.

This comment is very telling:

" Well, Roger heard about it, and that done it. He had this giant bird cage built to put in the top of one of them cottonwood trees."

So Roger went through the trouble of building a giant cage trap for something he was hoaxing himself? Where's the logic in that Kit?

Roger was trying to push Merritt to change the theme of his Dry Gulch western movie theme town to Bigfoot. Hard to have a Bigfoot theme without Bigfoot related gimmicks.

Why won't you think like a hoaxer?

Once you read the OP, yes, it becomes clear. But if someone doesn't, it would leave them thinking this Jerry Merrit guy pulled off a number of hoaxes.

I'm not worried about such lethargy.

If anyone floats in here, doesn't bother reading the OP and floats out with a vague notion that a person Jerry Merritt was involved in hoaxing rather than being hoaxed, I'm blasé.

Feel free to request a title change to "Who hoaxed Jerry Merritt?" if you like. I'm fine the way it is.

Squatchy McSquatch

Did Jerry Merritt have his Class A BF sighting on or around March 31?

SweatyYeti

You should re-title this thread Kit, it sounds like you are calling Jerry Merrit a hoaxer.

I would suggest the title...

"Evidence I ain't got no suit or confessions"... :popcorn:

So is this thread about Bob Heironimus running around Yakima in a suit playing pranks on people, as his old friends pointed out?

http://southeastsasquatchassociation.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/few-things-to-consider-about-bob.html

Greg Long to John Ballard: "Was Heironimus capable of running around like a Bigfoot in the Yakima Valley?"

John Ballard: "Not beyond him. I think he did it to scare people.".

Merle Warehime: "..it was kind of fun, go get drunk , put the suit on and run out in front of somebody".

One would also ask, if this was the work of Yakima hoaxers trying to pull one over on Patterson through Merritt, why then was Patterson himself never visited at home by the same Bigfoot(s) visiting his friend only five miles down the road?

Easy answer to that is that you don't jump out in a bigfoot suit in front of the guy who knows more about the subject than anyone else in the area. You do it indirectly through his friend and try and make sure word gets back to him.

kitakaze

So is this thread about Bob Heironimus running around Yakima in a suit playing pranks on people, as his old friends pointed out?

Excellent. You are progressing...

Hearsay doesn't do it for me. I don't claim hearsay as fact. I never said it was a fact that Heironimus jumped out on people in a bigfoot suit around Yakima just because of hearsay from somebody who knew hi. I merely thought it was an interesting comment and I wrote "Hmmmmmm". No more than that.

Why is quote-mining such a daily compulsion here?...

quote_mining_by_q_dragon1337.png

http://southeastsasquatchassociation.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/few-things-to-consider-about-bob.html

Greg Long to John Ballard: "Was Heironimus capable of running around like a Bigfoot in the Yakima Valley?"

Merle Warehime: "..it was kind of fun, go get drunk , put the suit on and run out in front of somebody".

Merle Warehime quote-mining hack context restoration (Merle Warehime interviewed by Greg Long in the summer of 2000)...

"Bob Heironimus was the guy who wore the (PGF) monkey suit. It was always a joke. So when it started getting blown out as it did, it was funny. Nobody said anything about it because we didn't know if it would get Bob into trouble or not."

Greg Long: "Les Johnson told me the suit was in your tavern"

What Les Johnson actually said (Fall 1998 interview with Greg Long)...

Les Johnson (MoB, p. 47)...

"There was an ape suit. Bob Heironimus wore it.

I was in the Idle Hour Tavern in Wiley City. There were 15 or 20 guys, some of the guys that hung around with Roger. These guys were drinkin' and talkin' about things they had been doin'. Bob Heironimus said that in the back of his Buick - he had a blue Buick - was an ape suit, or a suit. They were talking about this suit. Someone says, 'What are you talkin' about?' And someone said, 'Go look in the back of Bob's Buick.' The guys were teasing each other about it. There were lots of guys who sat around and talked about it" I probed deeper his memories of this event. He recalled among the onlookers grouped around Heironimus' car were the Ridge Runners, members of a jeep club. Johnson was either walking toward to the tavern or leaving it. "I heard them talkin' when I went by. They were laughin' and gigglin'. They were makin' fun about this suit, like, 'We're going to fool everybody.' I mean I got that opinion. But you couldn't fool us. We all lived here." He chuckled and then add: "The 'monkey suit' is what they called it. There's four Heironimus boys. Bob. And Bill. Bill worked for me for a while. Then there's Howard and Mike. The Idle Hour Tavern's where we'd go to congregate, lie to each other, and tell these big stories and try to make out like we was somethin'."

Les Johnson recalls the exact details, including Heironimus having his mother's blue 1967 Buick and the presence of the Ridge Runners jeep club. Merle Warehime himself corroborates and pinpoints the Heironimus Idle Hour display of the suit (continued from his above interview with Greg Long...

Greg Long: "Les Johnson told me the suit was in your tavern."

Merl Warehime: "Well, I'm not going to comment on that."

GL: "You're not going to comment?"

MW: "No. You know, a lot of people seen it. I don't know who ended up with it. I don't know."

"I don't think it's that complicated. I think it's a bunch of guys. It was kind of fun, go get drunk , put the suit on and run out in front of somebody, you know?"

GL: "Les said the suit was in your tavern."

(Note that Les Johnson made no actual statements of the suit being in the Idle Hour Tavern, which was not Warehime's, but rather shown in the back of the Buick Bob had in the parking lot, which in fact belonged to his mother Opal.)

MW: "Well, I don't want to comment on that. I heard some guys had it there one night. I understand when I was gone for a couple of days, on a weekend, they had it there. But I don't know. I wasn't there. It was like having someone leaving there coat there. Who cares?"

GL: "So you never saw the suit yourself."

MW: "In the back of the car, yeah."

GL: "Oh, you did see it?"

MW: "It seems to me that we were out - I don't even - God, it's been a long time ago. I believe we were out in the Ahtanum by that old church. We was sittin' there. We were about to go jeepin', and somebody had the thing. It was in a box there, you know. It was just in kind of a box in the back. I didn't pay much attention to it."

Greg Long then asks Merle Warehime what kind of car he thought Heironimus had, to which he responded that he thought it was a big, blue Buick, though unsure if that is what the suit was in.

John Ballard quote-mining hack context restoration (John Ballard interviewed by Greg Long)...

John Ballard: "There was a lot of things going on around about Bigfoot then."

Greg Long: "Ever hear of a man running around the Yakima area in an ape suit?"

JB: "Yes, I heard they even found the suit in the trunk of his car."

GL: "Who was it?"

JB: "Bob Heironimus. I never did confront him with it. He was a good friend of mine."

JB: "I didn't socialize with Bob off work. It was only a casual acquaintance. Just very casually. Not very well at all. Just during the shooting of the film."

JB: "Bob Heironimus and me really never, ever discussed Bigfoot. Oh, maybe just casual statements. I wasn't friends with him outside of work."

Ballard then relates to Long the story of teenage boys and girls were on a ditch bank in the orchards when they were nearly scared to death by a silvery, hairy creature. He then states after telling this story...

JB: "Not long after, they found a suit in the trunk of Heironimus' car."

Note that Ballard claims no direct experience of this nor any details in the colouration of the suit. He is relaying a rumour heard about Heironimus having a suit in the trunk of his car, which despite the grapevine garbling, is undoubtedly the suit in the trunk of his mother's blue Buick shown at the Idle Hour Tavern after returning to Yakima from California.

Greg Long then asks...

GL: "How well did Bob Heironimus know Roger Patterson?"

JB: "He knew Roger well."

GL: "Was Heironimus capable of running around like a Bigfoot in the Yakima area?"

JB: "Not beyond him. I think he did it to scare people."

GL: "Could he have jumped out in front of Ken Pettijohn?"

JB: "I've often wondered."

ballard then goes on to speculate about other sightings that all occurred in 1966. Again, he has no direct experience or link to Heironimus and the basis for his speculation is founded solely in the core story of a suit being shown in the trunk of Heironimus' blue Buick. Long asks Ballard about these other 1966 sightings...

GL: "You think Heironimus had anything to do with them?"

JB: "Could be. I don't know"

Long asks if Roger could have convinced Bob to wear a suit...

JB: "He might have."

GL: "Do you think that Bob Heironimus might have been performing certain activities for Patterson?"

JB: "I've heard rumours, yeah. Just like the rumour of Bob Heironimus having the Bigfoot suit which was made out of horsehide."

GL: "Horsehide."

JB: "Yep. I never saw it, but what I heard was it was gray horsehide. I heard it was in Bob Heironimus' car."

So where does this horsehide rumour come from? It's ultimate source is reported to be Roger Patterson to his friend Howard Heironimus, Bob's brother, who relates it to him...

Bob Heironimus, MoB, p. 345...

"Roger told my brother Howard he made the whole thing out of horsehide. Roger had skinned a red horse and attached or glued fur from an old fur coat onto the horsehide skin."

It's important to note that Heironimus is simply relaying what he heard from his brother. I have interviewed Howard Heironimus and he has no recollection of Patterson telling him that. In any case, it is quite clear Ballard has grapevined together elements of the Ken Pettijohn encounter story and melded them with that of the PGF suit being shown in the trunk of Opal Heironimus' Buick by Bob at the idle Hour Tavern.

Ballard then tells Long that Heironimus was connected to Patterson not just by the South Fork film, but also because Heironimus provided Gimlin the horse he used at Bluff Creek...

GL: "How do you know?"

JB: "Roger told me."

At that point in time Long had yet to confirm that Heironimus had indeed provided Gimlin his horse Chico which Gimlin tells us was for a period of three weeks, while Patterson and Heironimus only report just over a week.

Rockape

I'm not worried about such lethargy.

If anyone floats in here, doesn't bother reading the OP and floats out with a vague notion that a person Jerry Merritt was involved in hoaxing rather than being hoaxed, I'm blasé.

Feel free to request a title change to "Who hoaxed Jerry Merritt?" if you like. I'm fine the way it is.

I'm not here trying to give you a hard time Kit. I actually respect you as a member here and also your opinion on the PGF. I just thought you would be respectful enough of others to not want to accidentaly brand someone as a hoaxer. Small chance of it happening, I agree, but this is how rumors and false tales get started.

You are the one who started the thread and titled it, so it's up to you.

kitakaze

I don't think I'm getting a hard time. I think we both agree there's little chance of Jerry Merritt being branded a hoax. I would not think a thread titled "The Beating of Rodney King" featured said Rodney pummeling someone.

I have great respect for Jerry Merritt as a part of music history. I also think people who spend any time here should be quite familiar with him by now. If someone is going to accidentally brand Jerry Merritt a hoaxer because of a thread they didn't bother to open, I think Merritt's legacy is safe.

If there is sufficient concern to change it, "Who Hoaxed Jerry Merritt?" is fine with me.

Most importantly his being hoaxed is a historical fact and the people or persons doing it were wildly brazen in how they did it.

roguefooter

So has anybody concluded who was in a bigfoot suit?

Nothing substantial? No proof? Another thread of hearsay and speculation?

Starring Jerry Merritt:

JLMhdr.jpg

Well at least the music video was entertaining. 

How about an encore Jerry!

Edited by roguefooter

One question re Jerry Merritt. Did Roger not invite Jerry on his Oct 20th quest to participate in his bigfoot documentary?

If he did, then why did he? If this was a hoax, then he was inviting Jerry to be in on it, correct? Jerry would have watched Roger and Bob create the trackway and set the scene for the hoax. Why would Jerry be along for that? That would make no sense. So Kit, is that the impression you get from all this, else why not?

This should be good. :popcorn:

Edited by Gigantofootecus

I'm wondering what in Kitakaze's usual long winded irrelevant stuffed posts is exactly his point????

No 'quote mining' from me at all. The quotes are totally in context and were not taken out of context. I simply quoted the specific relevant parts and didn't want to get bogged down in quoting stuff not relevant. That's Kitakaze's style, not mine.

There are at least two of Bob Heironimus' old friends who talked about Yakima and Bob Heironimus running around in a suit there. This is fact that they said that. Whether they are correct in claiming that is another story. I myself have never claimed it was a fact that Heironimus did go around Yakima in a bigfoot suit. It's just hearsay and its not enough to be a proven fact.

kitakaze

No, you're textbook quote-mining. You omitted the comments from Merle Warehime that he only ever attributes the PGF suit to Heironimus and when talking about anyone using it to prank and scare people, you very specifically cut out him suggesting many people and never specifically Heironimus. This is in addition to the fact that your deceptive quote-mining makes it appear Warehime had firsthand knowledge of hoaxing with a suit. This is a very shifty contextomy...

The restored context...

Greg Long: "Les Johnson told me the suit was in your tavern."

Merl Warehime: "Well, I'm not going to comment on that."

GL: "You're not going to comment?"

MW: "No. You know, a lot of people seen it. I don't know who ended up with it. I don't know."

"I don't think it's that complicated. I think it's a bunch of guys. It was kind of fun, go get drunk , put the suit on and run out in front of somebody, you know?"

The same with Ballard who's only basis for speculation is Heironimus having a suit in his trunk shown at the Idle Hour. Where horsehide came from is clear as is attributing it the gray colour.

roguefooter
The same with Ballard who's only basis for speculation is Heironimus having a suit in his trunk shown at the Idle Hour. Where horsehide came from is clear as is attributing it the gray colour.    

According to who Kit? How do you know this is the only basis for speculation? It seems that you're speculating yourself here.

Let's not forget that Les Johnson stated that Heironimus "apparently carried this thing around in his car for a long time". Is that statement also based on a single event?

Edited by roguefooter

kitakaze

Yes, particularly due to the fact Johnson had Heironimus' vehicle as the blue Buick and the only time he ever used his mother's vehicle for any extended period of time was going to Bluff Creek.