kitakaze

The Hoaxing Of Jerry Merritt

Rockape

Forget that it doesn't tear Tip in half. Forget whatever way it screams with a Scottish shepherd clamped on its crotch. Merritt calls off Tip and then the "Bigfoot" proceeds to run down the driveway and then down the road leaving Merritt and family in a state of bewilderment. This is one of three times Bigfoot shows up to be seen at the Merritt's home. These are the people running the Dry Gulch western town that Patterson wants to turn into Bigfoot central. There is absolutely no way that if Bigfoot were to even show up at Merritt's house three times, that the Boss of the Woods is going to be handed its purse by by a medium size dog. I mean no disrespect to Scottish shepherds, but if this is how Bigfoot reacts, we can stick a fork in it.

Plussed for acknowledging there is at the very least worth in knowing who Merritt was, what his connection to Patterson was and what he experienced.

Agreed it sounds like someone playing games. I wouldn't discount it on the dog though. I'd say a bite down there would take the fight out of the toughest guy on earth. Can't say what a BF would do though, so maybe you're right.

Still, great story, thanks for posting it.

OntarioSquatch

So basically, this could have been a real sighting for all we know?

PBeaton

"..I doubt this incident happened after the PGF. It should go without saying that I think Roger Patterson was behind the hoaxing of Jerry Merritt. I think likely the suit used by Roger was not the same or exactly the same as the one used in the PGF. I think Roger was unable to make another hoax film with the Patty suit as it was no longer in his possession after the PGF hoax. "

kitakaze,

We are lead to believe some of these incidents occurred in an around the early '60's,  '66 or '67 an again in '68. You're suggestin' Roger had rented a suit earlier, then had made another suit before he had to buy one off Morris for some reason to almost completely remake, only to somehow loose. Wait...there was also your claim about gluing the hair from a fur coat on a costume.  You'll have ta forgive me if I made an error...this is gettin' a bit rich don't you think ???

Pat...     

kitakaze

No, relating something that was told to Bob Heironimus by his brother Howard as having originated from Patterson is not "your claim about gluing the hair from a fur coat on a costume."

I suggest three suits to be used in any manner by during the 1960's, though others are not ruled out...

1 - The Hollywood rental suit used for early experimentation as related by camera store owner Harvey Anderson. Suit was used on a weekend and then returned.

2 - The suit sold by Phil and Amy Morris to Roger Patterson. What this suit was used for and how is uncertain.

3 - The PGF suit. A suit used once and then out of Roger's possession after the Bluff Creek footage was filmed.

Could any part of or whole suit have been used in hoaxing Jerry Merritt? The very large rump of the driveway Bigfoot at Merritt's home is suggestive, but obviously only that.

Now the alternative that you may want to turn over in your mind a few times is this...

Roger's obsession with Bigfoot began with the writing of Ivan Sanderson in 1959/60. He borrowed heavily from Sanderson and made countless depictions of Bigfoot. He was a craftsman, inventor and artist. No, I am not saying that means he therefore was the sole creator of Patty. In 1966 he published many of his depictions of Bigfoot in his own book. Then, in early 1967, he began filming a fictional Bigfoot film about a group of cowboys, a native tracker and an old prospector tracking the legendary Bigfoot.

So would you like to argue that between Roger's first experiments with film and illustrations of Bigfoot and then to the creation of his fictional Bigfoot film, at no time does Patterson set out to obtain and/or create a Bigfoot suit for the purpose of actually showing the creature?

JustCurious

Kitakaze, in post #22, it's very difficult to figure out which are your comments on the interviews and which are Longs.  Reading through them though, it sounds like Bob often had that blue Buick that he allegedly only used one time.  But the part that just has me in stitches:

Les Johnson (MoB, p. 47)...

"There was an ape suit. Bob Heironimus wore it.

I was in the Idle Hour Tavern in Wiley City. There were 15 or 20 guys, some of the guys that hung around with Roger. These guys were drinkin' and talkin' about things they had been doin'. Bob Heironimus said that in the back of his Buick - he had a blue Buick - was an ape suit, or a suit. They were talking about this suit. Someone says, 'What are you talkin' about?' And someone said, 'Go look in the back of Bob's Buick.' The guys were teasing each other about it. There were lots of guys who sat around and talked about it" I probed deeper his memories of this event. He recalled among the onlookers grouped around Heironimus' car were the Ridge Runners, members of a jeep club. Johnson was either walking toward to the tavern or leaving it. "I heard them talkin' when I went by. They were laughin' and gigglin'. They were makin' fun about this suit, like, 'We're going to fool everybody.' I mean I got that opinion. But you couldn't fool us. We all lived here." He chuckled and then add: "The 'monkey suit' is what they called it. There's four Heironimus boys. Bob. And Bill. Bill worked for me for a while. Then there's Howard and Mike. The Idle Hour Tavern's where we'd go to congregate, lie to each other, and tell these big stories and try to make out like we was somethin'."

Are these probes legal???!

Seriously though, can't you see how Long was "leading" his witnesses?  All you have is Heironimus' word that he got the suit from Patterson.  How do you know he didn't get the suit from Morris?  How do you know that he didn't impersonate Patterson to call and ask how to modify it?  It sounds more and more like the only hoaxer around Yakima was Heironimus.

Merritt's ex-wife pinpoints the first event at their house as May, 1968.  In all that time between the end of October, 1967 until around that time, Roger was busy touring the country showing his film to scientists.  That's the timeframe for incorporating Bigfoot Enterprises in California, going to Canada to show the film there, going to New York to show the film there, etc.  The Argosy article was Feb, 1968, National Wildlife's piece was April, 1968.  Roger was a busy man in those days. 

Yet, you would like to believe in the midst of all that he's out there arranging to hoax Merritt to buy in to something else.  Why would he engage in activities that would detract from the credibility of his film at the same time he's working so hard to establish credibility?

roguefooter

GL: "Les said the suit was in your tavern."

(Note that Les Johnson made no actual statements of the suit being in the Idle Hour Tavern, which was not Warehime's, but rather shown in the back of the Buick Bob had in the parking lot, which in fact belonged to his mother Opal.)

MW: "Well, I don't want to comment on that. I heard some guys had it there one night. I understand when I was gone for a couple of days, on a weekend, they had it there. But I don't know. I wasn't there. It was like having someone leaving there coat there. Who cares?"

Les said the suit was at the Circle Inn Tavern, which Warehime owned.

Les: "You know, a person you ought to talk to is Merle Warehime. He's a realtor. He used to run the Circle Inn Tavern. He told me not too long ago that the Bigfoot suit was in his tavern."

When asked Warehime says "I'm not going to comment on that", but does state that he understands the guys had it there when he was gone one weekend.

So aside from the Idle Hour we have the suit at the Circle Inn Tavern. Warehime also states he personally saw the suit at an old church.

Edited by roguefooter

Backdoc

^^^^

Have suit, will travel.

Looks like stories of this suit appearing everywhere. This I doubt. A suit, possibly. THE SUIT? No way

Backdoc

Whoa there big fella. I don't know how we can say it is fact that this was a hoax. More than likely it is, if for no other reason that it is likley BF does not exist to begin with, but that 10% of me that thinks there is somthing to this BF thing can't buy this was in fact a hoax. That is sort of the same as true believers insisting it was in fact a BF.

I don't even think there is anyone here saying with complete confidence is was a real bigfoot. For one thing, its not in any of the classic bigfoot books so very clearly something was keeping people like Green and Dahinden from buying into it, when they did seem to buy into the other reports from Patterson in the Yakima and Richland areas. Perhaps Patterson had his own doubts and John Green picked up on it. After all, Green first heard about all of the Yakima incidents of the time from Patterson and he took it from there, yet I've not read anything about the Merritt inccidents in any of Green's books.. I have not read or heard anything from Patterson himself regarding the Merritt incidents either. Maybe Patterson suspected he might have been played with.

Rockape

I don't even think there is anyone here saying with complete confidence is was a real bigfoot.

Yes, and I did not mean to imply there was. That was a generalized statement about how some will believe a story with no fact to back it up.

Cotter

Here I was waiting for some proof that Merritt was hoaxed.

Silly me.

So, are we to assume the dog in question is a Collie?  Can we agree on that?  (Clear up the confusion of scottish shepherd)

They can pack a punch (Kit - have you looked into bite strengths of Collies to verify that they couldn't get through a thin layer of rubber?) as well.  Sure, not like a wolf or mastiff, but it could cause serious damage to such a sensitive area.

Also, as an FYI, hip waders do not cover the groin area, so there would be no offered protection.

Oh, and if Bob H was running around with a red haired suit, they made a completely new suit for the PGF?

First time I heard that one.

So this is the bombshell. This is the heavy artillery. The Big Guns.

Edited by ItsAsquatch

roguefooter

^^^^

Have suit, will travel.

Looks like stories of this suit appearing everywhere. This I doubt. A suit, possibly. THE SUIT? No way

Backdoc

Exactly. Bob stated he went to the Idle Hour and then right home to sleep. So why was a suit popping up in other places?

Perhaps because Bob 'kept a suit in his car for a long time'. What they called the "monkey suit". "They were laughin' and gigglin'. They were makin' fun about this suit, like, 'We're going to fool everybody'"...

Greg Long: "Ever hear of a man running around the Yakima area in an ape suit?"

JB: "Yes, I heard they even found the suit in the trunk of his car."

Apparently a suit was found in the back of a car more than once, and not just at the Idle Hour:

MW: "It seems to me that we were out - I don't even - God, it's been a long time ago. I believe we were out in the Ahtanum by that old church. We was sittin' there. We were about to go jeepin', and somebody had the thing. It was in a box there, you know. It was just in kind of a box in the back. I didn't pay much attention to it."

Edited by roguefooter
  • Upvote 1

Backdoc

^^^

Gee wiz and Al Dealtey would allow this?

Bob h. "Al, you financed this thing. I got the suit back from roger so he could not fake another sighting for more money. What should I do with it?"

Al. " keep it in the trunk of your car stupid. How else can we make money on this hoax if only we know about it."

Bob h. "Well I did show the suit to people the very next day after filming so they would just know its a hoax,"

Al. "What? Just one group of drinkers at the bar! That won't due. Keep it in your car and whatever you do make sure it keeps popping up in other places"

Bob h. "Ok"

Backdoc

Speaking of Al DeAtley, that was the same guy who said that he started believing the PGF was real when these scientists started supporting it. He wasn't convinced by it initially and thought Patterson may have hoaxed it but then he started thinking otherwise when it was given scientific backing. It's mentioned in one of the books. Might be Byrne's, I'm not sure offhand. But that's what DeAtley thought, at least in the early 1970s.

kitakaze

Exactly. Bob stated he went to the Idle Hour and then right home to sleep. So why was a suit popping up in other places?

Perhaps because Bob 'kept a suit in his car for a long time'. What they called the "monkey suit". "They were laughin' and gigglin'. They were makin' fun about this suit, like, 'We're going to fool everybody'"...

Greg Long: "Ever hear of a man running around the Yakima area in an ape suit?"

JB: "Yes, I heard they even found the suit in the trunk of his car."

Apparently a suit was found in the back of a car more than once, and not just at the Idle Hour:

MW: "It seems to me that we were out - I don't even - God, it's been a long time ago. I believe we were out in the Ahtanum by that old church. We was sittin' there. We were about to go jeepin', and somebody had the thing. It was in a box there, you know. It was just in kind of a box in the back. I didn't pay much attention to it."

The suit shown in the back of Opal's Buick at the Idle Hour was not shown by Bob Heironimus on any other occasion and that was the only time he had it to show.

John Ballard grapevines the Ken Pettijohn story and Howard Heironimus' horsehide story and relates information he has not directly experienced about a suit being seen in Heironimus' trunk. The same supposition he puts on possible Heironimus hoaxing, he also places on Roger Patterson...

Greg Long: "The Pettijohn sighting. It's interesting that it happened a month before Patterson's book came out."

John Ballard: "Very interesting."

GL: "Did it ever pass through your mind that Patterson was faking Bigfoot sightings? His book was coming out..."

JB: "I think it went through everybody's mind."

GL: "But did it go through your mind?"

JB: "Oh, yeah. It went through my mind. I never asked Roger. He was always so enthused about Bigfoot when I talked to him I never asked him. I... I didn't want to ask him." MoB, p. 233, 234

Likewise, Merle Warehime makes no direct observation of Heironimus showing a suit. He has a garbled memory of the suit being shown at his bar when he was not there and when they are about to go jeeping...

Greg Long: "Les Johnson told me the suit was in your tavern."

Merl Warehime: "Well, I'm not going to comment on that."

GL: "You're not going to comment?"

MW: "No. You know, a lot of people seen it. I don't know who ended up with it. I don't know."

"I don't think it's that complicated. I think it's a bunch of guys. It was kind of fun, go get drunk , put the suit on and run out in front of somebody, you know?"

GL: "Les said the suit was in your tavern."

(Note that Les Johnson made no actual statements of the suit being in the Idle Hour Tavern, which was not Warehime's, but rather shown in the back of the Buick Bob had in the parking lot, which in fact belonged to his mother Opal.)

MW: "Well, I don't want to comment on that. I heard some guys had it there one night. I understand when I was gone for a couple of days, on a weekend, they had it there. But I don't know. I wasn't there. It was like having someone leaving there coat there. Who cares?"

GL: "So you never saw the suit yourself."

MW: "In the back of the car, yeah."

GL: "Oh, you did see it?"

It must be taken into account that given Wareheim's position as proprietor of one of the local watering holes, his memory can well be expected to be not as clear as Les Johnson, and yet both men place Heironimus as having a Blue Buick, a vehicle he only ever once borrow from his mother for any extended period, going to Bluff Creek. The 1962 Corvette being his vehicle and his pride and joy at the time.

Les Johnson's direct observations are this...

"There was an ape suit. Bob Heironimus wore it.

I was in the Idle Hour Tavern in Wiley City. There were 15 or 20 guys, some of the guys that hung around with Roger. These guys were drinkin' and talkin' about things they had been doin'. Bob Heironimus said that in the back of his Buick - he had a blue Buick - was an ape suit, or a suit. They were talking about this suit. Someone says, 'What are you talkin' about?' And someone said, 'Go look in the back of Bob's Buick.' The guys were teasing each other about it. There were lots of guys who sat around and talked about it" I probed deeper his memories of this event. He recalled among the onlookers grouped around Heironimus' car were the Ridge Runners, members of a jeep club. Johnson was either walking toward to the tavern or leaving it. "I heard them talkin' when I went by. They were laughin' and gigglin'. They were makin' fun about this suit, like, 'We're going to fool everybody.' I mean I got that opinion. But you couldn't fool us. We all lived here." He chuckled and then add: "The 'monkey suit' is what they called it. There's four Heironimus boys. Bob. And Bill. Bill worked for me for a while. Then there's Howard and Mike. The Idle Hour Tavern's where we'd go to congregate, lie to each other, and tell these big stories and try to make out like we was somethin'."

A rumour he related but did not directly have any experience of is this...

"He apparently carried this thing around in his car for a long time." MoB p. 48

The only event in which Bob Heironimus was ever seen by any witnesses in possession of a suit was at the Idle Hour Tavern with his mother's blue Buick. From my interview with suit witness Gary Record...

Kitakaze: Let me ask you about something different, if I may. I want to ask about Bob going down to California and doing the movie. Did you see Bob right after he returned?

Gary Record: Yes, I did. Just when he come back. He showed me the suit. Wanted to show me what it looked like.

KK: And where was this?

GR: It was in Wiley City at one of the watering holes there. There were two of them.

KK: Was that the Idle Hour Tavern?

GR: I think so, yeah. Or it was the other one.

KK: And what time of day was it when Bob showed you the suit. Was it day or night?

GR: I'd say it was about 9:00 pm at night or around there.

KK: And how may times have you seen that suit?

GR: Just the one time.

KK You never saw Bob with a suit again?

GR: No.

KK: Do you know how long he had it?

GR: I think they came and got it the next day just after that.

KK: Patterson and Gimlin, you mean.

GR: That's right.

KK: Have you ever heard any rumours of Bob Heironimus being in Yakima or any other place in a Bigfoot suit other than the one time in Bluff Creek?

GR: No, I haven't.