Sign in to follow this  

Highest Quality Pgf Available To Public?

Wondering what the highest resolution digital copy of the PGF publicly available is?

I believe that Bill Munns did a scan of Patricia Pattersons copy, but I assume that that is not public?    (Would be awesome to see color corrected stabilized version of that).

As far as what else is out there, what is the earliest generation, best digitization that I can get my hands on?

Thanks

SweatyYeti

^

The best-looking version of the Film that's available to the public, LastLaugh...is in the Documentary 'Sasquatch Odyssey'. :)

It appears to be a first-generation copy.

Here is a comparison between S.O. and LMS...(Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science)...

Sasquatch Odyssey...

SasquatchOdyssey%20-%20MiddleSequenceFra

And LMS...(their version of "Full Frame"...though, not quite)...

LMS-MiddleSequence-F5_zpsykd0ebbh.jpg

The coloring is much truer, in the SO version. The soil appears gray, as it does in most pictures of the sandbar. 

^^

Grey sand turns to white. 

MikeZimmer

^

The best-looking version of the Film that's available to the public, LastLaugh...is in the Documentary 'Sasquatch Odyssey'. :)

Sweaty,

Did you get the DVD or the VHS version?  I was disappointed, thinking that it would be higher resolution than it seems to be. Either that or my DVD rip was not done using the best methods.

I know that the resolution obtainable can be incredible, as seen in the false colour work by MK Davis, from his own scans of Patricia Patterson's copy.

Mike

SweatyYeti

^

Just so people don't think I was ignoring your question, Mike....here is the answer I gave you via PM...

I have the dvd of 'Sasquatch Odyssey'. I use the program Video Lan (VLC Player) to play it, and download stills from it. 

The tip I was going to mention, for maximizing the quality of the saved images...is, with the video playing...click on the 'Video' button...go down to 'Deinterlace'...and select 'On'. That will provide a more solid image, without the 'interlacing'.

This morning, I put together a stabilized animation of part of the middle sequence of the Film...starting from the very beginning of the middle sequence...(using just the Frames in which Patty can be seen reasonably clearly)...

SasOdyssey-MiddleSequenceClearFramesAG6_

One interesting detail I discovered, after aligning the frames...is that between these 2 Frames, the middle ground appears to shrink/compress...depth-wise...

SasOdyssey-MiddleSequenceRogerDropsAG1_z

That must be the point where Roger fell to his knees.

The camera height lowering would be the only way to explain how that middle ground could shrink within the film frame. Roger certainly didn't 'back-up' with the camera....and it is only the front-to-back depth that appears to shrink.

So, I think it may be a provable fact, that Roger fell, or deliberately dropped down to his knees...(probably to get the most stable images he could, of Patty)....shortly before she turned to look back at him. :)

One note: I rotated several of the images...but didn't re-size any of them.

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 2

MikeZimmer

I have the dvd of 'Sasquatch Odyssey'. I use the program Video Lan (VLC Player) to play it, and download stills from it. 

Thanks Sweaty,

I will try VideoLan again, but if you can tell me how to increase the resolution of a screen capture, I would appreciate it.

Regards

Mike

pinkmoon67

Mr munns examined this sequence in his excellent book "when roger met patty"and his conclusions are very interesting I would urge anyone with an interest in the p.g.f to buy this book.

SweatyYeti

^

Thanks, Neander... :)

SweatyYeti

^

Okay, LastLaugh....you talked me into it. :)

Here is another image from the 'Sasquatch Odyssey' version of the Film...a sharp Frame from the Opening Sequence...showing quite a bit of detail on the embankment...

OpeningSequence-ClearFrame1BSharpened1_z

The same frame from the LMS version...

OpeningSequence-ClearFrame1-LMSVersion_z

Here is a different Frame, from LMS, which shows more of the embankment...

OpeningSequence-ClearFrame2-LMSVersion_z

The LMS version is not so impressive

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 1

Wow, there really is a big difference. 

So if I were to purchase SO (seriously considering it now), how complicated would it be to do my own stabilization/ zooming? 

I do have some video editing software, but have never attempted a stabilization.

Here is another image from the 'Sasquatch Odyssey' version of the Film...a sharp Frame from the Opening Sequence...showing quite a bit of detail on the embankment...

Imagine Bob Heironimus trying to get up that? If they put the suit on him at the road as he claimed then he'd have to get down one embankment, cross the wet and flowing rocky creek and then get up that embankment we see there. Weird that he never remembered doing all that hard work. :o

SweatyYeti

Wow, there really is a big difference. 

So if I were to purchase SO (seriously considering it now), how complicated would it be to do my own stabilization/ zooming? 

I do have some video editing software, but have never attempted a stabilization.

It isn't difficult to put together stabilized animated-gifs, LL.  I use 'Easy-Gif Animator', to make mine. But I would suggest using a more sophisticated Program...EGA doesn't always save the animations well...especially if the animations contain large image files....or a large number of images. :)

Imagine Bob Heironimus trying to get up that? If they put the suit on him at the road as he claimed then he'd have to get down one embankment, cross the wet and flowing rocky creek and then get up that embankment we see there. Weird that he never remembered doing all that hard work. :o

Also, Neander....you'd think he would have gotten a really good look at the gray soil...right in front of his face....as he started walking up the embankment. ;)

Sign in to follow this