Sounds Of The Night

Lake County Bigfooot

This is a special thread for discussing recording, and attempting to document Sasquatch activity.

I am resuming my late summer/fall recording, and will be contributing clips of interest from time

I invite your ideas as well as some of your interesting clips, here is one of mine from 2013

Banging Moan Howl.mp3

The howling there sounds canine. No explanation for the banging.

I do have a question. I Am sitting here on my back porch. Been out here since 5 am. I frequently hear an animal sound that reminds me of the sound flipper made in that silly dolphin show. Also similar to the click click sound the gopher made in caddy shack, but a lower pitch. I hear it ALOT and was wondering what it could be? We have a ton of barred owls here. Tree frogs, insects and assorted rodents. Any ideas?

OKBFFan, check out Leopard frog calls and see if they are similar.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_eHVxprdI    here is one at 3:35 minute mark.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJvYhqlgFA      Upland chorus frogs I hear here a lot and they can call even when the temps are in the 40's. They make a clicking kind of sound. When the temps are lower the Upland tree frog makes the call a little slower in tempo.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRzT-GprEAk    here is one that to me took me a little while to figure out when I heard it. It sounded like a bird to me, but turned out to be the nocturnal southern flying squirrel. They make a chirping alarm sound not the sound a grey squirrel makes when alarmed.

Edited by David NC

Sounds like a nail gun was shot off 4 times in the beginning of the audio.  I have heard similar howls and wondered what it was.

Leopard frog is close but not quite the right pitch. And it's a faster sound, just like what flipper did in the show but lower pitch. Almost like laughter. Hmm.

Agreed the howl is canine sounding, but I have had this tree knocking thing preceding both coyotes going off and lone howls. If anything it 

suggests some relationship to Sasquatch and Coyotes. Listen to another clip from roughly the same time period of 2013 fall, first seconds

you hear a distant siren, then a howl that seems to imitate that siren, then the whole coyote pack going off while simultaneously tree knocking

begins, It leads me to suggest the first howl was imitation in order to set off the pack, and the tree knocking is excitement or some sort of

method to herd the coyotes, who knows, but all this happens in the dead of the night.  As far as the clicking sounds I have heard something like that myself and could not identify it, mine was more of a twook type sound, though I also have heard an owl do a fluttering call that could be what you are 

describing.  ALMOST ALL OF MY RECORDING ACTIVITY HAPPENS IN SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, CENTERING AROUND THE

NEW AND FULL MOONS....THAT SEEMS TO BE A REAL PATTERN FROM YEAR TO YEAR. Though this summer we have heard numerous

tree knocks in the night, and at the time was not recording, but I have attempted to several times and got nothing, it seems that you can count

on some activity as fall rolls in and the nights cool down. That is if you have these creatures in your area, I first heard them having a whoop conversation

and that is what clued me to their presence, that was obviously a rare situation and was a reaction to unusual circumstances and what I think

is a younger Sasquatch.

sirens coyotes tree knocks.mp3

owl sounds fluttery one.mp3

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Guest JiggyPotamus

The howling there sounds canine. No explanation for the banging.

I do have a question. I Am sitting here on my back porch. Been out here since 5 am. I frequently hear an animal sound that reminds me of the sound flipper made in that silly dolphin show. Also similar to the click click sound the gopher made in caddy shack, but a lower pitch. I hear it ALOT and was wondering what it could be? We have a ton of barred owls here. Tree frogs, insects and assorted rodents. Any ideas?

The only animal sound that I can think of that sounds remotely "flipper-like" would be a squirrel. I actually was surprised to learn that even people in my family did not know that squirrels made chattering or barking sounds, which I suppose sort of sounds like a dolphin. Because I live in and around woods, and essentially grew up outdoors, I do not think twice about the sounds I hear, unless they are unfamiliar. But since I never really hear unfamiliar sounds, I just automatically know when a sound is natural, even if I do not consciously consider what animal is producing the noise. I guess what I'm saying is that only an odd sound would stand out to me. I don't know if other people do the same thing, but I imagine they do.

Here's the best way I know to describe the "flipper-like" vocalization I heard 3 years ago.

You know how when your kids or pet's are getting ready to do something they shouldn't you'll go aagh. Take that and add flipper. It was VERY loud and didn't sound happy.

I had to dl the app to play the tracks and none sounded like what I had heard. The closest one was the second one. Racoon in distress. If you can imagine a cross between a locust and a dolphin that's what it sounded like.

Hi LCB,

After listening to a couple of your recordings I got to ask you, do you set your recorder close to a road?

Hello Wes T,I'm the last one who wishes to insult anyone's intelligence but would you go through these soundbites and see if any match what you've been hearing please. And don't forget that woods can echo and magnify sound:http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Raccoon_Sounds_audio

That's actually pretty close! The looking for siblings and climbing sounds are the ones I am referring to.. Although what is hear is a little lower in pitch.

Hello OKBFFan,

I've heard raccoons fighting or mating and it can be quite a racket. I also don't know if males or females are larger and if the males are maybe they are slightly lower pitched? Or if they're older? I saw some of the sound clips were of females but the others didn't have genders labeled either way.

LCB, the owl is either a Western Screech Owl or a good BF imitation of one.   http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Western_Screech-Owl/sounds The second recording is exactly like yours.

I hear the long, loud howl followed by a pack of coyotes almost every night. Sometimes the louder one will chime in with the coyotes several times before they stop howling. Often there will be some whoops mixed in, too.

• Upvote 1