Sign in to follow this  

Entire Reel Of The Pgf?

masterbarber

Step on a treadmill and set the walking speed at 3.8 mph.  Video someone walking at that speed and we can compare it to Patty.  I personally can't do 3.8 mph so I can't do it myself.  Preferably someone about 6'3" to 6'5" maybe?  And make sure they're wearing cowboy boots inside costume gorilla feet.  That should be an easy one for the skeptics to produce to prove it can be done.

Healthy folks can do it routinely, look under recommendations:

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/changing-speed-treadmill-increase-calories-burned-9387.html

To add..

952 frames

52 secs

0.0144 hr

18.3 fps

11.2 frames/step

85 steps

41 in/step

290.7 ft

0.0551 mi

Patty was walking at 3.8 mph

PS, i know you watched a video of a certain duration.  But how do you know how many frames were contained in that video?  And the 41" step length is an assumption based on how many samples? 

You're forgetting the conversion to a Flash video format that YouTube uses. But all this doesn't matter as long as the video gets played back in real time, which it does. Today's video players use a standard frame rate or extract the frame rate from the video file. They always know the correct speed to play a video to simulate real time. We can be confident that the video showed an accurate depiction of someone running a copy of the entire PGF thru a projector at 18 fps. IMO, this is a lock.

The 41" avg step length was based on 17 samples, derived from the Trackway Triangle analysis. Patty walked briskly the length of a football field in 52 seconds. I'm sure she would have picked up the pace had Roger continued to pursue her. Otherwise, fleeing the scene in a dignified manner in less than a minute is the clear winner. You know how flight triggers off a predatory response from us humans. ;)

Now that we know her walking speed, let's see the simulations!

Patterson-Gimlin

Masterbarber ,I agree. I am one of them. The suit in question would be well padded and heavy. I do agree with you

that it is not out of the possibility of a human .It would be rather difficult. Don't you think?

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

SweatyYeti

Gigantofootecus wrote:

The 41" avg step length was based on 17 samples, derived from the Trackway Triangle analysis. Patty walked briskly the length of a football field in 52 seconds. I'm sure she would have picked up the pace had Roger continued to pursue her. Otherwise, fleeing the scene in a dignified manner in less than a minute is the clear winner. You know how flight triggers off a predatory response from us humans.  ;)

The camera stoppages need to be figured-into that time, Giganto. It took Patty longer than the 'running time' of the film,  to walk that distance.

I'm not convinced, as of yet, that the film was shot at 18fps. I'm leaning more towards 16fps. :)

In this analysis by Dimitri Bayanov...(the 3 links at the bottom of the page)...he concluded that the film was shot at 16fps...

http://alamas.ru/eng/publicat/Bayanov_on_American_BF.htm

He analyzed the vertical oscillations in the film...attributing them to Roger's walking and running paces...and deduced the filming speed from those.

^^^

Good point.  What would a Gorilla suit weigh?

My best guess...about 10,000 laughs... :haha:

Edited by SweatyYeti

Backdoc

Let's take a walk:

Backdoc

masterbarber

Masterbarber ,I agree. I am one of them. The suit in question would be well padded and heavy. I do agree with you

that it is not out of the possibility of a human .It would be rather difficult. Don't you think?

Yes, it would certainly be more difficult.

^ Thanks SY, I forgot about the stoppages which will affect her walking speed somewhat. The walking speed has a lot of variables to consider anyways. I'll have a look. 

However, the projector was definitely running at 18 fps because the scenes with the horses looked natural. Roger would have had to switch the fps dial between the scenery footage and the Patty footage, which I don't buy.

SweatyYeti

^

You're welcome, Giganto. :)

I'll give the 18fps some more consideration.....especially since you seem so certain about it. I agree with you, that the film speed most likely would not have been changed from whatever it was set at for the previous footage. 

The dial was definitely set either at, or very close to it's minimum speed setting. 

Edited by SweatyYeti

Bigfoothunter

Gigantofootecus wrote:

The 41" avg step length was based on 17 samples, derived from the Trackway Triangle analysis. Patty walked briskly the length of a football field in 52 seconds. I'm sure she would have picked up the pace had Roger continued to pursue her. Otherwise, fleeing the scene in a dignified manner in less than a minute is the clear winner. You know how flight triggers off a predatory response from us humans.  ;)

The camera stoppages need to be figured-into that time, Giganto. It took Patty longer than the 'running time' of the film,  to walk that distance.

I'm not convinced, as of yet, that the film was shot at 18fps. I'm leaning more towards 16fps. :)

All one needs to do is just find two points in the film where no stoppage occurred and count out the steps for an average walking speed.

I seem to recall that 16fps when filming would cause a blinking effect between frames.

^^^

Backdoc, on 09 Sept 2015 - 2:22 PM, said:

Good point.  What would a Gorilla suit weigh?

My best guess...about 10,000 laughs... :haha:

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013   That was sooooooooo funny because its sooooooooo true!

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Drew

However, the projector was definitely running at 18 fps because the scenes with the horses looked natural. 

So your comments on the Youtube video are based on you thinking something "looked natural"

Thanks SY, I forgot about the stoppages which will affect her walking speed somewhat. The walking speed has a lot of variables to consider anyways. I'll have a look. 

You'll have a look, but what about this? 

952 frames

52 secs

0.0144 hr

18.3 fps

11.2 frames/step

85 steps

41 in/step

290.7 ft

0.0551 mi

Patty was walking at 3.8 mph

Are you throwing this out?

Drew

Giganto-

I'm just messing around, i'm no photogrammetrist, just an old fashioned engineer with a TI-68 calculator, and ME101 under my belt.

Can't we just calculate the speed, by using the horizontal measurement between TC-1 and TC-2?  that is 12 feet.

From RP's point of view Patty's path is about 10'

How many frames does it take Patty to walk the 10' feet between TC-1 and TC-2?

If walking from behind tc1 to behind tc2 takes , let's say, 36 frames, that is 2 seconds. 
10 ft in 2 sec is 5 ft/sec; x 60/88 gives 3.6 mph. 
That's probably within 5-8 % plus minus

Edited by Drew

Bigfoothunter

A 4' stride would cover 10 feet in 2.5 steps  -  3.5' stride would be 3 steps which hardly gives one an overall walking pace. It seems to me that the more steps - the more accurate the average walking speed would be reflected.

Drew

Of course, but we are limited by needing to know a measurement.  And the TC-1 to TC-2 measurement is pretty solid i think.

SweatyYeti

All one needs to do is just find two points in the film where no stoppage occurred and count out the steps for an average walking speed.

I seem to recall that 16fps when filming would cause a blinking effect between frames.

I can't comment on that, BH....I don't recall reading anything regarding the speed at which flickering becomes noticeable.

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013   That was sooooooooo funny because its sooooooooo true!

It's one way of measuring gorilla suits... :thumbsup: 

Bigfoothunter

I can't comment on that, BH....I don't recall reading anything regarding the speed at which flickering becomes noticeable.

I believe its in the FBI report or Rowland Zavada Report found in the JFK assassination files - it was also confirmed by Robert Groden (film analyst for the House Select Committee on Assassinations) and the Late Gary Mack (Historian and archivist of the collection of films at the 6th Floor Museum in Dallas Texas.

Silent movies were usually filmed at 16fps - the flickering effect was quite noticeable and eventually decided to be an annoyance to viewers. (Who hasn't seen old home movies demonstrating this effect)  This eventually led to manufacturers increasing the internal fps on hand wound movie cameras from 16fps to 18fps so to eliminate this blinking effect.

"The human eye is capable of differentiating between 10 and 12 still images per second before it starts just seeing it as motion. That is, at an FPS of 12 or less, your brain can tell that its just a bunch of still images in rapid succession, not a seamless animation. Once the frame rate gets up to around 18 to 26 FPS, the motion effect actually takes effect and your brain is fooled into thinking that these individual images are actually a moving scene."

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Sign in to follow this