The Strange Case Of Cullen Finnerty

Rockape

Well it all depends on if it's a smartphone with GPS or an older phone without GPS.

GPS they can pinpoint a near exact location (depending on the signal strength), while non-GPS phones have to use triangulation or distance from cell towers. Sometimes smartphones will use triangulation if the GPS signal is bad.

Accuracy in the boonies depends on the kind of phone, how many cell towers are in the area, how far to the nearest tower, and obstructions like trees.

From this page:

https://www.locateurcell.com/aboutGPS.php

Cellular Triangulation - a technique to pinpoint the location of a mobile phone user. In urban areas, a single user is usually within the range of several cell phone towers. Using triangulation, those towers can pinpoint the user's location to within about 360 feet (120 meters). In rural areas, the user is usually within the range of a single tower. In such cases, the tower can detect the angle of transmission and still pinpoint the location of the user with about 1 mile (1.6km) accuracy.

From this page:

http://myphonelocater.com/category/triangulation/

Tracking non smartphone
However, if it is a non-smartphone, it can still be tracked as we have mentioned in this article how to track a non-smartphone. This is because a cell phone is basically an advanced two way radio in which communication are made via cell towers. These cell towers are within a network of cell towers which its main function is send and receive the radio signals emitting from your phone. Your cell phone is basically transmitting radio signal to the nearest cell tower. The closer your phone to a cell tower, the stronger the signal that is emitted. So, by measuring the signal strength and also through triangulation method with other cell tower; that is by measuring how strong or weak signal emitted by your phone, your phone location can be pinpointed almost accurately. However, there are some disadvantages to this technique as big buildings or trees can affect the signal and therefore effect the signal strength.

Edited by roguefooter

Hello roguefooter,

Thanks for the info- it does clarify things for me. And yes, triangulation is the method used for older phones and IIRC they had to have the caller connected?

This day and age I think I could safely assume that Mr. Finnerty had at least a 3G or 4G.....but it's an assumption. If it was a more modern phone like that and the pings showed it moving around as reported it sure places an odd twist to the mystery. Perhaps someone could do some research to see if the towers in the area were well placed?

Edited by hiflier

I heard, I think it was Paulides who said it, that he had a new Apple Iphone. I remember him saying how accurate they are, but I also heard they had some issues with their GPS system, not sure the entire story on that.

OK, found some info on the GPS problems with those phones, would have to know exactly which phone he had, if the update that caused the problem had been installed and if it had been fixed.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/65821/20150704/gps-issues-after-ios-8-4-upgrade-heres-how-to-fix-it.htm

I'm not sure how this would effect the pinging of the phone either.

Edited by Rockape

Hello Rockape,

Nice work. The true picture gets better and better when the details surrounding each part of the event get discovered and ironed out. It takes diligence to do good sleuthing. No one on this thread has been a disappointment I might add. This part of the discussion was because roguefooter was keen enough to bring the ping question into sharper focus. It's all good here. 

This whole case is really strange but the cause of death is what confuses me the most. I'm not very familiar with pneumonia but I always thought that it took a while for it to set it. Even then, I didn't think it could kill so quickly. I know that pneumonia can be very dangerous for older people and young children but Cullen was a healthy man.

What makes more sense to me, is the effect that drugs and alcohol can have on a person that's experienced multiple events of brain trauma or concussions. If you factor in the stress, cold and disorientation, combined with the aforementioned things, I suppose its possible that it could lead to death.

Does anybody think that perhaps Cullen died of something else and the report given to the public was concocted by the coroner or the police, in order to alleviate any embarrassment to the family? Perhaps Cullen had taken a large dose of pain killers, mixed with some alcohol? This combination hampered his respiratory system enough to cause him to fall in the water, inhale some into his lungs and that was the straw that broke the camels back?

It's far more likely that the coroner or police department lied to the public, to spare the family the embarrassment of a death related to drugs and/ or alcohol. Not to mention that death by Sasquatch would leave some kind of evidence behind. I think a Sasquatch kill would look like some kind of mauling or severe beating. I can't picture a Sasquatch killing by suffocation and, even if could, there would be evidence left behind.

I think the answer to this mystery lies in the exact cause of Cullen's death.

<It's far more likely that the coroner or police department lied to the public>

But did the Boston University coroners lie as well? Drugs are mentioned through out the story so I don't know why they would hide them as a cause of death.

Hello Rockape,

Nice work. The true picture gets better and better when the details surrounding each part of the event get discovered and ironed out. It takes diligence to do good sleuthing. No one on this thread has been a disappointment I might add. This part of the discussion was because roguefooter was keen enough to bring the ping question into sharper focus. It's all good here. 

Agreed, we're just looking for answers. Good point brought up by Rougefooter, but we don't really have enough info to say anything certain concerning the phone, whether it was a malfunction or whatever.

I think it is obvious (at least partially) what happened to this man. If he had to pee, he would have done it off the side of the boat. If had to do the other, he would certainly not have walked 1/2 mile into the woods to do his business. As a matter of fact, he wouldn't have walked 1/2 mile for any reason, other than being pursued by something. If it were a man, he would have confronted him... If the man had a gun on him, the cause of death would not have been "suspected secondary drowning die to pneumonia". That is so laughable, it isn't!

What happened? Debris was being thrown at him, and naturally assumed it was a human doing the throwing... Being the macho guy that he was, he shored the boat to challenge the perpetrator(s)... The rest is history.

I was following this case from day one. WIll Jening had not heard about it, so I sent him all the information that I had compiled. Will Jevning then presented the case to David Paulides. I don't know if Mr. Paulides followed-up the story, but it is certainly worthy of effort.

To those looking to the FOIA for reports: It seems that Uncle Sam is asking for ridiculous amounts of money for the release of information under the FOIA. Sort-of takes the "free" out of freedom, doesn't it? 

Rock throwing in Michigan...

http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2014/06/this-report-of-bigfoot-throwing-rocks.html

http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2015/05/i-believe-this-rock-throwing-incident.html

Edited by 67Mopar

I think it is obvious (at least partially) what happened to this man. If he had to pee, he would have done it off the side of the boat.

That's not the kind of boat you can pee off the side of, trust me on that one, I know boats.

He probably just had a mental episode, but we can't say for certain. It's known he called his wife, told her he was being hit by brush and he was getting off the river. Whatever this was, mental episode, actual brush being thrown at him, that is what caused him to beach the boat.

What actually caused his death is still a mystery either way. With a body that is found as soon as his was and hadn't decomposed, you'd think COD would be easily determined.

I have a theory as to what happened if there was actually BF involvement. I'll not go into it now since it is nutty as a fruitcake and I still think the guy just had a psychotic moment brought on by drugs.

Tell us what you think, Rockape! If members on this forum are going to ridicule your theory, maybe they shouldn't be here. I'd like to here what you have to say.

Edited by 67Mopar

LOL, I don't want the other skeptics to make fun of me and think I went completely over to the other side, but I did promise a sophist approach to this, so here goes...

Two juvenile Squatches playing games. It was getting dark, probably headed out for a hunt and saw Finnerty and decided to have some fun. If BF exists there has to be young ones and I would expect them to me prone to mischief just as teenage humans are. They saw Finnerty, alone, forgot about their hunt and started playing around, tossing things at him, probably blasting him with infrasound if they do have that ability and it is something I see plausible. I know Paulides said a lot of his cases involve people who have some physical disabilities, defects or limitations, so perhaps the BF can sense this, or maybe infrasound just works better on them. Finnerty was using drugs and had been drinking, plus he did have some early signs of CTE, making him an easier victim, and easier prey.

The infrasound coupled with his drug/alcohol use and early CTE caused him to become confused and concerned. He said he thought someone was following him, perhaps the BF were skirting him on the shore but that creek where his boat was found doesn't look very deep, they could have been following him in the creek itself from the looks of it. All he could tell was there were two human like shapes, so he assumed they were humans. That's why he was trying to talk to them, remember his wife asked him who he was talking to and he said "the guys following him but they wouldn't answer".

Once out of the water, in his addled state, he continued on through the woods heading away from the threat, thinking he could lose them perhaps. Remember he told his brother in law "things are getting tough". He finally realized what was after him, prompting the yelling heard by a local and causing him to begin running. But the chase was on and it was one he had no chance of winning. He had become exhausted, slowed or even stopped, and combined with his weakened state, sheer panic at realizing what was after him, the infrasound affected the rhythm of his heart, causing it to stop. That's what killed him. Left no sign except a slightly enlarged heart depending on if his heart was enlarged before this or the infrasound caused it. Regardless, once the heart stops, that's it, game over, you're dead.

Once deceased, the BF weren't through having fun and a game of keep away took place. One would grab him and run for awhile, the other would then take him and do the same. They finally tired of the game and left him there, one of the people who found him did say it "looked like he was dragged there". They didn't mean to kill him, were just having some fun and had no intention of eating him so had their fun and then just walked away.

So, that's my crazy BF killed him theory. I don't believe it, but it's a better story that the alternative and I've never believed in letting a tall tale get in the way of a good story. And after all, they don't know what killed him so as of now my crazy BF killed him theory holds just as much water.

Edited by Rockape
  • Upvote 1

Wow! Remove the "infrasound, drugs, and alcohol, and you have something there. A heart attack can be brought-on by panic alone via calcium and adrenaline being dumped into the blood stream. The game of "keep-away" is interesting as well. It may have been a case where they simply had young in the area, and decided CF was an intruder. 

My fiance's cousin had three face-to-face encounters with Sasquatch in a period of 3 days. The first was near a creek in Virginia circa 1960's, where he any his cousin Sally were picking dandelions. He looked up at her to do the dandelion on the chin thing, and noticed that Sally was staring forward at something? As soon as Bruce turned, a deer came running straight for them, and cut directly between himself and Sally. He turned back to see a Sasquatch picking up a juvenile, just like a human picks up a child. He turned to look at Sally, and she was already running! The juvenile was making vocal sounds; "Meech or Meek!"

Bruce stood up, and ran for home! As he was exiting the area, he says that a scream that was so powerful, literally pushed him sideways as he was running. He says that branches were coming down at him, as he was running. He thinks that there may have been something in the trees? He's not sure. It just gets more intense from there... I have a full interview recorded, but I think I should get Bruce's permission before posting it. I could play you some of it over the phone... Just send me a PM. It's crazy! 

Edited by 67Mopar

Wow! Remove the "infrasound, drugs, and alcohol, and you have something there. A heart attack can be brought-on by panic alone via calcium and adrenaline being dumped into the blood stream. The game of "keep-away" is interesting as well. It may have been a case where they simply had young in the area, and decided CF was an intruder. 

You can remove the infrasound but not the drugs/alcohol, they were in his system, though not in large amounts.

My fiance's cousin had three face-to-face encounters with Sasquatch in a period of 3 days. The first was near a creek in Virginia circa 1960's, where he any his cousin Sally were picking dandelions. He looked up at her to do the dandelion on the chin thing, and noticed that Sally was staring forward at something? As soon as Bruce turned, a deer came running straight for them, and cut directly between himself and Sally. He turned back to see a Sasquatch picking up a juvenile, just like a human picks up a child. He turned to look at Sally, and she was already running! The juvenile was making vocal sounds; "Meech or Meek!"

Bruce stood up, and ran for home! As he was exiting the area, he says that a scream that was so powerful, literally pushed him sideways as he was running. He says that branches were coming down at him, as he was running. He thinks that there may have been something in the trees? He's not sure. It just gets more intense from there... I have a full interview recorded, but I think I should get Bruce's permission before posting it. I could play you some of it over the phone... Just send me a PM. It's crazy! 

Great story, but unless you get his permission to share just hang on to it. If he does, download it onto a sound file and share it with us.

You can remove the infrasound but not the drugs/alcohol, they were in his system, though not in large amounts.

Great story, but unless you get his permission to share just hang on to it. If he does, download it onto a sound file and share it with us.

Ah... So he was making merry! :)  

My fiance thought I was nuts with the interest in Saquatch, until Bruce told her about his encounter. She came home from San Diego, and said; "You need to talk to my cousin Bruce about Sasquatch." If it weren't for my interest in Sasquatch, he says that he never would have mentioned it. He told a few so-called "friends", but they naturally ended-up making fun of him over it...

He was less than 3' from it, separated only by his bedroom window. He said; "I don't know if it was smiling at me, or if it was a grimace?" Nuts!