The Strange Case Of Cullen Finnerty

Rockape

BFF Patron

It was up on about a 35 to  45 degree slope and as I got closer lost sight of it over the terrain.    .     I tried to take a bearing off of a down tree blow over root ball behind me but the going over the slash piles had me worried about breaking a leg and I could not maintain the bearing.      It was not until I noticed that the stump was gone a week or so later that I realized it might not have been a stump    In other words at the time I was pretty certain that only a stump would be there 24 hours after the picture and did not think it worth the risk of breaking a leg to examine a stump.          It was in early November so rain was very frequent.     At the point a week or two later when I returned to the area,  I doubt there would have been anything to find in the way of footprints even if I had found the exact spot.    The exception would be finding a down stump.     I certainly cannot rule stump out.     The last footprint I found in the area was only about 1/2 mile from the stump where the glyph was placed.   This 10 inch footprint would be consistent with a teen age BF wanting to mess with me.   IMG_1102.JPG

Interesting print. Is that a partial print above and to the right? Looks like I see toe impressions. 

Guest Interested Party
9 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I can see the head and shoulders in this photo.  Pretty cool stuff.

I have that one glyph that I am reasonably certain was done by a BF when I was literally in sight of it.   Right before that happened heard what sounded like children chattering.    The strange part of that was that the language being used sounded Asian.    I thought it is pretty strange for that young Asian children would be in the area be chattering in some Asian language  when I had seen no evidence of cars at the trail head about a mile away.     This area has a tiny Asian population to begin with.      I sort of forgot about it, put down my pack on a stump,   got something out of the pack, then started scrambling over piles of timber slash that were all over the clear cut area, trying to get a better look at an apparent stump on the ridge above that looked in photographs I had taken the day before that looked like a BF.    I gave up on getting there for fear of breaking a leg and because I had lost sight of the "stump" on the ridge above.    When I got back to the same stump I had rested my pack on, the glyph had been placed there.   Had I turned around an looked back the stump was never out of my sight.    Something with hands had placed the glyph on the stump.         This is the glyph.    My guess is that young BF decided to sneak in and place this where I would find it on my way out.     The "stump" on the hillside was not there the next time I went.  

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0057 (2).JPG

20 hours ago, Rockape said:

Not sure there's much more to add here or if anyone did any further investigation relating to it possibly being BF related. There seems a likely explanation that Cullen simply had a mental episode, but why he died still hasn't been explained. 

Out of all the cases I think is one of the strangest is in his first book . It's with Chris Thompkins , age 20 , date missing 1/25/02 .

He was working for a surveying company on a 4 man crew . Each man was spread 50 feet apart walking down a rural road with thick woods and swamps .

He was the last man in line and  they saw him 1 minute and the next he was gone. the crew walked back to where he last was and found scattered about one of his boots ,his tools and some coins he had in his pocket . This was next to private property and it was lined with barbwire fence . They also found a piece of his jeans stuck on the fence.

The only reason I think it's one of the strangest is to lose everything like this including the change in your pocket is what ever grabbed him and took him over the fence turned him upside down and pulled him over the fence before he could make a sound .The rest of the crew never heard a scream or a yell it happened that fast . He has never been found . Out of all the many reports in his books this one stood out the most to me.

Makes you think?

Edited by 7.62

BFF Patron

I have posted the "stump" picture before but wanted to recount the technical details about the picture.       It was about a half mile away on the ridge.    I was hiking a trail and noticed the dark object in the photo on the ridge.   I could not quite see what it was.     I assumed it was just an interesting stump but kept looking at it for signs of movement..   When you do that, even with a stump,   you will see movement.    The effect is nystagmus .    Staring at an object makes you pick up involuntary movement of your eyes and you perceive movement in a stationary object.    Still convinced it was a stump, I got out my still camera, forced it to 20X telephoto, which is the limit of the mechanical zoom,  and took the picture before going on my way.      When I got home I down loaded the photo and blew it up.     The thing looked very much like a BF but I could not be sure.    If I went back and it was gone,  then I could be more certain it was something other than a stump.     So the next day, nearly the same time, I returned and sure enough the thing was still there.     Obviously a stump.     As I said, a week or two later it was not there.   If anyone has real expertise or software to enhance photos,   beyond the mundane stuff,    I certainly would let you have a copy of the raw photo to play with.      I have already published it here and done all I can with it.     PM me about your capabilities and I will let you play with it.    I can blow it up to the point of pixelation but not quite resolve it well enough to declare it a BF.    I can get it blown up far enough to see that if it is a stump, you can see between grass between the stumps legs.     It also appears as if it had its left hand, holding a branch.   Stumps don't hold branches of nearby trees.  All of this could be manufactured in the mind of the observer.    Certainly there is no blur involved, just limitation of the camera and photo due to the distance away.    

Edited by SWWASAS

Guest Interested Party
On 6/2/2017 at 7:35 PM, SWWASAS said:

All of this could be manufactured in the mind of the observer.    Certainly there is no blur involved, just limitation of the camera and photo due to the distance away.    

It isn't easy carrying a 600mm f-4 lens about is it?  ;^) 

BFF Patron

I carried a DSLR with a 300MM lens for a long time.     About 4 pounds of camera and lens.   Figured a camera that big would be very obvious to anything camera shy,  and I got tired of lugging it around.   When you get that long a lens you also need at least a monopod to stabilize it too.    One of my theories is that BF may not know the purpose of a big camera lens but they have seen enough hunters with rifle scopes that they might assume the camera is some sort of weapon thing too that should be avoided.   

Many can shoot 300mm by steadying their upper bodies or leaning against a tree or support. Not out of the question.

BFF Patron

That certainly helps but the opportunity to take pictures of BF usually does not deal you a fair hand by providing a handy tree.       I would only take that 300MM  setup in the field if I was on a stakeout and not doing much in the way of hiking.    Quite frankly I think there is more chance of pictures if you are so far away the BF is not aware you are present.     In that case you could have a really big telephoto, only limited in size by your ability to transport it.    Many of the fuzzy cell phone cameras are that situation.      BF subject observed but the camera was not good enough to capture a decent image.    As my ability and interest in long hikes declines,  I may just find high perches and hope an unknowing BF blunders into sight.  I am nursing a very sore foot right now.      

On 6/2/2017 at 8:49 AM, 7.62 said:

Out of all the cases I think is one of the strangest is in his first book . It's with Chris Thompkins , age 20 , date missing 1/25/02 .

He was working for a surveying company on a 4 man crew . Each man was spread 50 feet apart walking down a rural road with thick woods and swamps .

He was the last man in line and  they saw him 1 minute and the next he was gone. the crew walked back to where he last was and found scattered about one of his boots ,his tools and some coins he had in his pocket . This was next to private property and it was lined with barbwire fence . They also found a piece of his jeans stuck on the fence.

The only reason I think it's one of the strangest is to lose everything like this including the change in your pocket is what ever grabbed him and took him over the fence turned him upside down and pulled him over the fence before he could make a sound .The rest of the crew never heard a scream or a yell it happened that fast . He has never been found . Out of all the many reports in his books this one stood out the most to me.

Makes you think?

Bears eat you and Bigfoot keeps you. At least it happens in legend.

Yah, having it end quickly would be preferable to days, weeks or months.

20 minutes ago, norseman said:

Bears eat you and Bigfoot keeps you. At least it happens in legend.

Yah, having it end quickly would be preferable to days, weeks or months.

Agreed

In the report a few months later another boot was found in a field where this happened and it was confirmed by law enforcement it was his other boot.