Bluff & Blue Creek Northern Ca 1958-1969

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Okay first of all this isn't about the PGF its about that area (film section for PGF). Even if you don't support that footage " the golden opportunity of the this field was not taken advantage of short of that 90 seconds of PGF that is IMO

In a span of 12 years they had at least 60 related incidents in Bluff & Blue Creek alone. Plus all the other surrounding areas with their own reports.

So why did the people back then do nothing? and why wait until Rodger & Bob to show up in 67 with a camera? Jeez eleven years after the reports started coming in on a regular basis and being recorded. So who knows the actual number of occurences before they started keeping track?

So I got to ask where were the big game hunters and adventurers of that time ? or were they too scared to try and hunt them since they seemed numerous as Rodger and Bob were affraid when filming??

So didn't anyone or a group try to bag one? Sure guys like Rene, Bob, John and Rodger snooped around a bit but they seemed more interested in getting their film to print, collecting casts and making a dead line. Did they not realize the golden opportunity of trying to bag one with all the reports?? Surely they must of realized a family of Sasq lived near by with all the tracks etc.

Just think of where this field of study and interest would be if someone back then hunted one down and brought one back !Anyone else thinking this in hind sight considering the very high density of reports of that area back then?

Wow what we wouldn't do now to have 60+ varrious types of reports all concentrated in just one area now! Jeez just thinking of that. What would any of us give or do now for that one golden chance to be at the right location at the right time just like what happened at Bluff Creek in Oct 20 1967?

I would bet that farm that Bob and Rodger never thought we would go this long without collecting a specimen. Or at the very least obtaining even better footage of a Sasq close up and in the open, clear as day for all to see and say "thats no man in a suit! "

Anyways I am trying to learn of old expeditions or just hunting parties that did something back then but i can't find any? Any west coast historians that could help out ? that would be great. thanks :) The web only has the newer activity in that area. dry.gif

Pic's to set the mood. followed by the numerous reports from that area over a 12 year span(California BF site) thanks guys ;)

DSC00869.JPG

image034.jpg

Klamath%20River_Bluff%20Creek2.jpg

link to topo map of Bluff Creek

http://www.pickatrai...ldt_ca/map.html

Bluff Creek and Blue Creek Mountain Roads, logging roads

June 19, 1967 Dewey Haupe finds lg tracks around his road grader 8am on a Monday morning; tell friend Larry Omeg then phones Titmus from Ed Saunder's place.

Summer 1967 Jim McClarin begins carving his now famous "Willow Creek BF Statue." No specific date given, just summer.

August 1967. BF tracks 16 inches long are found for 3 miles on Bluff Creek Road going from East Fork to Notice Creek by Bud Ryerson; he notifies Bob Titmus.

August 1967 J. Crew and D. Haupe mention to Titmus a disturbance around the equipment staging area down near the bridge, vandals or BF?

August 1967. Bud Ryerson sees hundreds of 13 to 15 inch BF tracks on the road he is building on Blue Creek Mountain, west of Bluff Creek. Tractor parts are scattered all over the area; he notifies John Green, Bob Titmus and Al Hodgson. Green brings in tracking dogs, Jim McClarin, Rene Dahinden, S.C. Buttram and Dale Moffitt.

August 27/September Labor Day week1967 John Green and Rene Dahinden fly down to Bluff Creek in chartered Cessna 185 landing at Orleans airstrip; tracks are photographed. Al Hodgson and son Mike drive family station wagon to pick them up. Green tells Al Hodgsons to phone Patterson.

October 20, 1967. Bob Gimlin and Roger Patterson see and film motion pictures of a female BF just above Notice Creek between Onion Mountain, Bee Mountain and Fish Creek Butte. Her tracks measure 14½ inches long.

Bluff Creek, California

1958. Lawrence Omeg sees a Bigfoot outside his shack after work on a logging job. He quits his job and leaves the following day.

September, 1958. Bigfoot tracks are seen 4 different times on Bluff Creek Road, Titmus is notified.

October 1, 1958. Jerry Crew finds a quarter mile of BF tracks on Bluff Creek Road and makes casts.

October 12, 1958. Ray Kerr and Leslie Brezeale see a BF cross a 20' road in 2 strides and find tracks several miles south of where they are usually seen on Bluff Creek Road. Hired by Ray Wallace to track BF, they redouble their hunting effort but their dogs disappear a few days later and are never seen again. (The hunting dogs belonged to Ivan Marx)

1959. A husband and wife flying a private plane over Bluff Creek see and follow BF tracks until they pass over the BF making them.

Mid October, 1958. BF tracks are seen again in Bluff Creek.

October 23, 1958. BF tracks are seen on Bluff Creek Road once again.

October 28, 1958. 2 miles of 16" BF tracks are seen on Bluff Creek Road.

October 30, 1958. BF tracks are seen going down a hill from Bluff Creek Road.

November 2, 1958. Bob Titmus and Ed Patrick find BF tracks on a Bluff Creek Sandbar.

December 18. 1958. Betty Allen finds 6 miles of BF tracks on Bluff Creek Road, expressed fear in her articles.

August 16, 1959. Bob Titmus finds 300 yards of BF tracks along Bluff Creek Sandbar.

August 30, 1959. Bob Titmus finds more BF tracks at Bluff Creek Sandbar.

November 1, 1959. Bob Titmus finds more BF tracks at Bluff Creek Sandbar, notifies Tom Slick, Green & Dahinden.

November 2, 1959. Betty Allen finds BF tracks coming down a canyon and along Bluff Creek Road.

January 30, 1960. Betty Allen finds BF tracks around a shovel loader on Humboldt Fir logging road at Bluff Creek.

June 19, 1960. Dr. Charles Johnson and his family find BF tracks on both sides of the Klamath River a half mile west of Bluff Creek.

August 19, 1962. Skip Clark finds and casts Bigfoot tracks at Bluff Creek sandbar.

September 26, 1962. Bob Titmus finds miles of BF tracks on Bluff Creek Road and in the creek bottom itself.

June 22, 1963. Skip Clark finds and casts a 15 inch BF track on Bluff Creek sandbar.

1963. Thomas Sourwine says a 300 pound boulder was used to repeatedly hit road building equipment near Bluff Creek.

June 30, 1963. BF tracks 10 to 15 inches long are found and cast in the Bluff Creek area.

1963. Pat Graves follows BF tracks for 5 miles from Laird Meadow to Bluff Creek Road at Notice Creek. Sticks 1¼ in thick are found broken in the tracks. 1963. Dave Blake finds BF tracks where a barrel of diesel fuel was thrown off the road.

1963. BF tracks 15 inches long are found at Bluff Creek logging operations, with boxes of spikes thrown around and sticks of dynamite bitten into.

August, 1963. BF tracks are found on Bluff Creek Road at Notice Creek bridge.

October 1963. Al Hodgson finds a set of BF tracks a few hundred yards above the Notice Creek bridge at Bluff Creek sandbar. The sandbar was washed away in the 1964 flood.

July 1964. Scout Master Joe Christensen Sr., and Boy Scout Camp medic **** Beathel found (a mile from the camp) 17 inch by 7 1/2 inch bare footprints in the mud and cast them. The stride was around five feet between imprints; five toes. Photo of casts were published in the Modesto Bee on July 16, 1964. The location was 7 miles northeast of Mariposa, Mariposa County, California

Summer 1964. Dave Blake often finds BF tracks at Laid Meadow at Blake and Tregoning Logging operation west of Bluff Creek. A culvert 4 feet in diameter and 20 feet long is thrown into the canyon and 450 pound barrels of diesel fuel are moved around.

August 21, 1964. Roger Patterson finds and casts 17 inch tracks with a 52 inch stride on Laird Meadow Road.

September, 1964. Samuel Brewer Jr. finds and casts a 15½ inch BF tracks with a 47 inch stride along Bluff Creek.

Fall, 1964 . Dave Blake sees BF tracks around his logging equipment every morning for a week. A trailer load of 18 inch culverts is overturned while men are working nearby.

1965. Jay Rowland finds BF tracks along Bluff Creek a short distance from Notice Creek.

July, 1965. Steve Sanders and 2 others sleeping the a tent awake to see a large finger or stick opening their tent flap. Their yells scare it off. Investigating the next day, they find BF tracks 17 inches long and 7 inches wide around their tent at Blue Lake near Bluff Creek.

1966. Richard Sides sees a BF squatting at Bluff Creek drinking water with cupped hands.

Fall, 1966. Jay Roland sees BF tracks on a road a Scorpion Creek in the Bluff Creek area.

October 25, 1966. Dan Mullens finds BF tracks and an unopened case of oil cans crushed on Notice Creek.

August, 1967. Several BF tracks are found and cast by a road crew on Onion Mountain, west of Bluff Creek. The tracks measure 13 and 15 inches long.

August, 1967 Al Hodgson see's Patterson's 9" track on Bluff Creek Sandbar; casts a 14" track

August 1967. Bud Ryerson sees hundreds of 13 to 15 inch BF tracks on the road he is building on Blue Creek Mountain, west of Bluff Creek. Tractor parts are scattered all over the area. Notifies John Green by company radio phone saying, "What you're looking for is here..."

August 15, 1967 Road grader operator Dewey Haupe arriving early to work discovers hour glass tracks near water tower, notifies Titmus.

September, 1967 Roger Patterson poured a plaster of paris cast of a left & right 9" child's track

November, 1967 - In remote area John Wenger of Summit City, found huge footprints showing only ball and five toes, no claws on the north shore of Shasta Lake. The tracks went across sand isthmus towards brush covered two acre island off shore two miles east of Shasta Dam. Wenger counted seven clear tracks. Barry Hennings of the Record Searchlight newspaper took casts and photographs; published them November 10, 1967.

June 1968. Steve Marlin and Bruce Cornwall find BF tracks between Bluff Creek and Fish Lake.

January 1969. Pat Graves sees BF tracks from a plane between Blue Creek Divide and Nikowitz Road.

1969. Peter Byrne, Brian Matthes and Steve Matthes find Bigfoot tracks along Bluff Creek. Byrne does exhaustive investigation of Patterson site in 1972, photos in B & W.

Late May, 1969. Dr. Bernard Northrup and a party of San Francisco Theological Seminary Students find over 1000 16" BF tracks in the Bluff Creek area. They also find torn, twisted bark stripped from the trees near the tracks in the sand. It may be that the individual who left the big 16" tracks after the summer 1967 at Bluff Creek was one of the survivors; and it may also be that this was the same individual whose track Jerry Crew first cast that became a media sensation. August, 1969. The owner of the Bluff Creek Resort and a small cluster of fishing cabins, Ed Saunders found a line of 16-inch Bigfoot tracks in the sandbar at the mouth of Bull Creek in the Bluff Creek area. Bill Saunders, Ed's brother acted the mechanic and handyman there in and around the resort. Ed and his wife were a bit edgy about scaring off the public...

link where the others occurences can be found near by

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/

thanks for everything Patty :)

Patty+Enhancement.jpg

bonus retro link and info on bluff creek back in the day, you didn't think i would forget did you? enjoy

http://www.bermuda-t...ek_bigfoot.html

Okay so in closing even if you don't believe the PGF what about all the other reports? and why was nothing done before 1967 or shortly after by anyone ? were we too busy?

JMO on everything including supporting the PGF tracker, dry.gif

Edited by tracker

Guest tracker

Okay lets make this easier, why no serious investigations or hunts until after the mysterious monster movie came out? Think about it 60 reports of prints and sightings of huge creatures in 12 years in one area. And no one organizes a hunt or stake out to solve problem and mystery? What did everyone do run away or hide under their covers and pray the boogie man would just go away? Or was it some kind of mass phobia that made everyone look away? odd, very odd :ph34r:

10156__x400_mysterious_monsters_poster_01.jpg

Edited by tracker

SSR Team

Okay lets make this easier, why no serious investigations or hunts until after the mysterious monster movie came out? Think about it 60 reports of prints and sightings of huge creatures in 12 years in one area. And no one organizes a hunt or stake out to solve problem and mystery? What did everyone do run away or hide under their covers and pray the boogie man would just go away? Or was it some kind of mass phobia that made everyone look away? odd, very odd :ph34r:

Perhaps there just wasn't enough serious interest, like now ??

Perhaps not enough people still took it seriously, like now, even with all that activity ??

Perhaps people had better things to spend their $$ on, like now ??

Or perhhaps the Locals especially, were just completely at ease with it all, like some are now in certain areas ??

Edited by BobbyO

Guest tracker

Perhaps not enough people still took it seriously, like now, even with all that activity ??

Perhaps people had better things to spend their $$ on, like now ??

Or perhhaps the Locals especially, were just completely at ease with it all, like some are now in certain areas ??

Jees Bob, that's alot of perhapses :) I'll counter with could be, could be ?

To me it reads like they were stumped? the construction co prop was being vandelised and the crew stated they were uneasy with a feeling of being watched. Add in the sightings of huge dark creatures and people quiting their jobs and leaving. After saying that I should refer those to the Bluff Creek books on the events leading up to the PGF .

Oops, sorry everyone i thought all those reports were common knowledge leading up to the PGF from all the books on the Bluff Creek area. :blush: No worries then if there's a lack of responses. I should add if you live in the mountains or rural you have a different perspective about hunting or protecting yourself and prop from large animals.

Anyways it's still cool IMO to review some of key areas and events of the golden era of Bfing :)

Edited by tracker

SSR Team

The whole subject is full of " perhaps's " T.. :D

Sorry i couldn't help much more..

Guest tracker

The whole subject is full of " perhaps's " T.. :D

Sorry i couldn't help much more..

Yea i understand, also people are different today. Or maybe for once everyone agrees with me so there's no reason to post? :D

Still it makes me wonder why the authorities did nothing other than record? Even if the locals and construction crew were too fearfull and unwilling to act. I would of been over there with rifles and cameras trying to rig up traps to catch one or film the other two as well as Patty.

Do you think that would of made a difference having another one or more than one at a time caught on film? or would it be just other persons in suits? IMO i still can't figure why some don't believe considering all the events surrounding the PGF??? :huh:

Hey Bob, can you put a cap A in the title it should be CA. and add- of Bfing after opportunity in description. it changed upon post thanks again. Also I posted a pic of the old mysterious monster movie poster that not displaying? :)

Edited by tracker

Another possibility, it may be that each incident was seen as a isolated event? That no one was sure would be repeated? Since infrequent contact would have been backed up from the local NA historical stories it might have been assumed "hey, this happens once in awhile, but like lightening won't happen twice in the same place?"

So no real sense of urgency was generated?' Add that to the difficulty in just making a living?

You're right looking back at that time period it seems odd more wasn't done. But in some places today it's much the same, nothing's being done!! :)

SSR Team

Hey Bob, can you put a cap A in the title it should be CA. and add- of Bfing after opportunity in description. it changed upon post thanks again. Also I posted a pic of the old mysterious monster movie poster that not displaying? :)

Not my part of the Puzzle i'm afraid, that'd be down to one of the Mods.. :)

tracker, on 09 May 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

Okay lets make this easier, why no serious investigations or hunts until after the mysterious monster movie came out? Think about it 60 reports of prints and sightings of huge creatures in 12 years in one area...........odd, very odd

I consider this especially so with regard to the California Dept. of Fish and Game. In all the references to Patty, the PG film, Patterson, Jerry Crew, et al, there is no mention whatsoever of a visit, interview, phone call, happenstance meeting with a biologist in the area, nothing. They are more elusive than the sasquatches themselves.

With regard to the Dept. of Fish and Game (California, or any other state, for that matter), there still isn't enough interest for them to even issue a policy statement. They are as absent today as they were in 1958-1967.

Edited by Huntster

That is a very interesting collection of events from around the time of the PGF filming, tracker. Thanks for posting that! I think there is just something inherently and completely unbelievable to the vast majority when it comes to the possibility of a large, unknown, 'monster' living in the woods. And, as a result, few wildlife professionals pursue the subject (and of those that do, fewer still may feel comfortable discussing the subject openly.) That's too bad really- not enough commitment to discovery. I think that if I had been a wildlife professional at that time (especially one working not too far away), I would have at least taken a good look at the reports to see what else might be done.

Guest tracker

I consider this especially so with regard to the California Dept. of Fish and Game. In all the references to Patty, the PG film, Patterson, Jerry Crew, et al, there is no mention whatsoever of a visit, interview, phone call, happenstance meeting with a biologist in the area, nothing. They are more elusive than the sasquatches themselves.

With regard to the Dept. of Fish and Game (California, or any other state, for that matter), there still isn't enough interest for them to even issue a policy statement. They are as absent today as they were in 1958-1967.

I support what you are saying because is it really that much different now in most areas? Police in my area won't even say the names Sasquatch or Bigfoot. They rather call them the bearman reports. dry.gif

Guest tracker

That is a very interesting collection of events from around the time of the PGF filming, tracker. Thanks for posting that! I think there is just something inherently and completely unbelievable to the vast majority when it comes to the possibility of a large, unknown, 'monster' living in the woods. And, as a result, few wildlife professionals pursue the subject (and of those that do, fewer still may feel comfortable discussing the subject openly.) That's too bad really- not enough commitment to discovery. I think that if I had been a wildlife professional at that time (especially one working not too far away), I would have at least taken a good look at the reports to see what else might be done.

Me too and where was someone like J.Goodall when we needed them in CA ?? :huh: I literally lost count trying to add up all the reports from the neighbouring counties over 100. Bf's in the same area year after year leaving prints and having encounters with humans. And yet people argue about the PGF to this day when the creatures are still around their just much harder to find.

Anyways that was the Golden moment of discovery of our NA great ape and what did we do? we collected souvenirs and jotted down some notes and left. :o

Thanks again Rodger, Bob & Patty for sticking around at least long enough to get some film. ;) Where would we be with out that 90 seconds of film?

JMO tracker, dry.gif

Edited by tracker

This thing chewed up my response.......and what's posted below is about 1/5 of it.

Anybody else getting forbidden errors when they try and post?

Edited by norseman

http://www.wilburforce.org/funding_areas/priority_regions.cfm?region=inlandrainforest

The interior temperate rainforest (ITR) of inland BC, north Idaho and northwest Montana is the only one of its kind on Earth. Four hundred miles inland from the coast of BC, Pacific weather systems collide with the Columbia and Rocky mountains, releasing moisture that creates a rich biomass second only to the coastal temperate rainforests of the BC Coast on the North American continent. The inland rainforest region stretches from the Robson Valley in the north to the panhandle of north Idaho and the west edge of the Flathead watershed of northwestern Montana in the south.

The inland rainforest is home to thousands of species adapted to these moist old growth forests, with their ancient trees, old growth lichens, shady salmon streams and understory of moss and ferns. The inland rainforest is also home to the mountain caribou, one of the most endangered large mammals in North America, as well as healthy populations of grizzly bears, wolverine, lynx, cougar, and Chinook salmon. The ITR’s Robson Valley has the largest and most inland population of grizzly bears that still feed on ocean-going salmon.

These inland forest stands have the highest diversity of native tree species found in any single forest of British Columbia. The Robson Valley is known to have the most extensive inland rainforests in the Northern Hemisphere (900 km2) and contains some of the largest, oldest stands of cedar found in the BC interior. Some of these stands are thought to date back to the retreat of the last ice age.

We are supporting the following organizations for work in this area. When you click on an organization name you will see a list of all grants made to that organization, which may include projects funded in other program areas.

Guest tracker

Yea I didn't see any mention of Sasquatch? Kind of odd ? Since these corporations and gov bodies were kissing the FN butts big time for years to use their heritage inc Sasquatch to lure and host the 2010 Olympics. I have another name for corporations and gov's and people that do that.??

Anyways back on track we go, Can anyone dig up info on expeditions into the Bluff Creek area in the 60's? yes even after PGF will count. All i could find was a few miles of tracking then calling it quits and leaving the area entirely.

O'well we didn't see anything during the day, time to head back to the city. nice effort dry.gif

JMO tracker