Bluff & Blue Creek Northern Ca 1958-1969

Guest tracker

What another encounter with a mouse?:) Since this happened @ BC can you give us more detail about the encounters with possible Bf's (not the mouse)...

Dfoots encounter was posted in the old forum. It was one of those encounters where it stayed out of sight and violently shook some trees. I don't remember it much beyond that.

The first possible daytime encounter of mine was when my brother stopped the car at a wide spot most of the way down to Louse camp from Blue Creek mountain. It was close enough to Louse Camp that I didn't want to camp at Louse camp. I heard something large like a deer or elk bolt. I ran to the edge of the road and expected to see a deer running but it was dead silent We stood there for several minutes watching but nothing moved. The reason that freaked me out was because I heard where the sound came from and there was nowhere for it go or hide. It went from something violently bolting to dead silent on the side of a very steep hill in probably less than a second. I doubt it took me a second to get to the edge of the road with my camera ready. Smelling it is also kind of unusual. You probably had to be there to appreciate that one. That was something different than anything I had ever experienced. We would have heard it if it were walking away. That was a dash to cover and watching us sort of behavior but we couldn't find it. There was no way I was going down there.

I was still freaked out about that a few hours latter and found it difficult to get to sleep. Jim didn't hear it because he was parking the car. I talked him into keeping his shoes on when we went to sleep because I was pretty upset by it. It probably took me an hour to fall asleep but I woke up in middle of the night because a grasshopper mouse bit me. It wasn't a nibble. He attacked my finger trying to kill it. I jumped up screaming and yelling. Jim shined the flashlight on the mouse and I chased it into the brush yelling and stomping after it while Jim was laughing. I got back in my bag and was self absorbed wondering about the risk of rabies. Jim immediately heard some footsteps that were walking into our camp. I guess I was moving about and not paying attention so he told me to knock it off which I could tell by the tone that something was up. Something huge was walking up into our camp after all that noise I made. It was walking very slowly but you could hear rocks grinding as its feet were rolling on the dirt road. It was coming and there was nowhere for it to go but right in our camp. After a few more seconds of that, we dived in the car and sped out of there. It became very threatening when it obviously heard me and should have seen me but still decided to walk up into our camp. It is funny how my plans to take a picture of it at night with my flash camera didn't even cross my mind. It became about self preservation at that point. If we had a high powered rifle I have little doubt we could have killed whatever that was. It became pretty frightening when it just kept coming. It could have definitely gotten shot doing that sort of behavior. Lacking a gun on that trip and not really ready for a hand shake or whatever else it had in mind, we scrammed in what was probably the fastest ever breaking camp and leaving in history.

• Upvote 1

Guest tracker

Dfoots encounter was posted in the old forum. It was one of those encounters where it stayed out of sight and violently shook some trees. I don't remember it much beyond that.

The first possible daytime encounter of mine was when my brother stopped the car at a wide spot most of the way down to Louse camp from Blue Creek mountain. It was close enough to Louse Camp that I didn't want to camp at Louse camp. I heard something large like a deer or elk bolt. I ran to the edge of the road and expected to see a deer running but it was dead silent We stood there for several minutes watching but nothing moved. The reason that freaked me out was because I heard where the sound came from and there was nowhere for it go or hide. It went from something violently bolting to dead silent on the side of a very steep hill in probably less than a second. I doubt it took me a second to get to the edge of the road with my camera ready. Smelling it is also kind of unusual. You probably had to be there to appreciate that one. That was something different than anything I had ever experienced. We would have heard it if it were walking away. That was a dash to cover and watching us sort of behavior but we couldn't find it. There was no way I was going down there.

I was still freaked out about that a few hours latter and found it difficult to get to sleep. Jim didn't hear it because he was parking the car. I talked him into keeping his shoes on when we went to sleep because I was pretty upset by it. It probably took me an hour to fall asleep but I woke up in middle of the night because a grasshopper mouse bit me. It wasn't a nibble. He attacked my finger trying to kill it. I jumped up screaming and yelling. Jim shined the flashlight on the mouse and I chased it into the brush yelling and stomping after it while Jim was laughing. I got back in my bag and was self absorbed wondering about the risk of rabies. Jim immediately heard some footsteps that were walking into our camp. I guess I was moving about and not paying attention so he told me to knock it off which I could tell by the tone that something was up. Something huge was walking up into our camp after all that noise I made. It was walking very slowly but you could hear rocks grinding as its feet were rolling on the dirt road. It was coming and there was nowhere for it to go but right in our camp. After a few more seconds of that, we dived in the car and sped out of there. It became very threatening when it obviously heard me and should have seen me but still decided to walk up into our camp. It is funny how my plans to take a picture of it at night with my flash camera didn't even cross my mind. It became about self preservation at that point. If we had a high powered rifle I have little doubt we could have killed whatever that was. It became pretty frightening when it just kept coming. It could have definitely gotten shot doing that sort of behavior. Lacking a gun on that trip and not really ready for a hand shake or whatever else it had in mind, we scrammed in what was probably the fastest ever breaking camp and leaving in history.

I understand lacking a rilfe i never carry one, just a knife or sometimes bear spray. I'llget back to you in more detail. i am on my way up into northern part of algonquin park after my own Bf. see my " on the hunt thread for Sasq" in field section. if interested?

Guest tracker

Okay i am back from a rained out mini expedition with TJ, no luck this time out. dry.gif Anyways BZ with your report did you see anything? did you go back and look for prints? you had time to pack up? how close do you figure by its foot falls when you packed and left? why not wait in vehicle?

I always try to convey the fear & risk factor involved when people seek out Bf's in this field. Or when just camping in hot spots just because it's cool to say "we camped at Bluff Creek or Ape Canyon!"

So maybe you can comment about being carefull of what Bfers wish for?

thanks ;)

It had to be very close like within 30 feet when we dived into the car. Jim had been listening to it walking in for probably a minute or more. I listened to several steps. I believe that I might have been suffering time compression from fear because they were really slow steps. Its weight was grinding the rocks under it and it was rolling like a truck tire. There was no packing when we left. It was throwing the bags in the back seat, the keys in the ignition and starting the car. Unlike the horror movie scenario, time slowed down but Jim didn't fumble the keys. I think we were moving in less than 5 seconds total when we both decided to dive in the car. It didn't require any words and we didn't fumble anything. I have a very clear memory of him starting the car and the light inside the car making it black outside. We were truly frightened by it and moving very fast. Getting in the car didn't really help that much. It wasn't until we were speeding away that we felt safe again and we parked up past blue creek mountain.

There was absolutely no doubt in either of our minds at the time what it was. We had to move many boulders. like 20 or thirty from the road to get in there and there was nobody else there. I still don't have much doubt about what it was walking up on us and I have spent a great deal of time thinking about what else it could have been. I really doubt a bear could have made that sound. I was still a bit nervous on all my trips there after that because that creature didn't show any real fear at night. I usually had my 357 after that and slept in the back of my truck. It was still a bit unnerving there at times when I was by myself.

I have regretted not going back to look for footprints the next day just so I could have taken a picture of them. Then someone would have to think I was a liar rather than just imagining things. I didn't really anticipate the internet and telling the story to strangers. We were very tired the next day and I never really had much interest in finding footprints. We found some in the snow and it was cool to see them but I don't think I even took pictures of them even though they were old and didn't show features. Those on the road would have probably been clear. I was interested in getting a picture of one of them in the daylight because a picture of footprints wouldn't be very convincing. I never really had any interest in proving they exist or gathering evidence. It is kind of nice for me to "know" that they exist even though I am not 100 percent convinced about it. It would have been worthwhile because there would have surely been footprints left by that even on the hard road. We probably got sidetracked and went to see the redwoods or something less harrowing. Neither one of us was in the mood to relive that again. I would prefer to not have any more encounters at night. About all that would gain me is getting scared again unless I had some night vision. Then the risk would be worth it. A flash on my camera requires a braver man than I am to be useful. We didn't even have the nerve to shine the headlights at it. Not one of my prouder moments but at least I now understand my limitations as dirty Harry would say.

Guest tracker

I would prefer to not have any more encounters at night. About all that would gain me is getting scared again unless I had some night vision. Then the risk would be worth it. A flash on my camera requires a braver man than I am to be useful. We didn't even have the nerve to shine the headlights at it. Not one of my prouder moments but at least I now understand my limitations as dirty Harry would say.

Hey be thankfull of that mouse it got you out of your sleeping bag in time to retreat. Otherwise you may of been staring up at a huge 1800 lb 12' older alpha male?? :ph34r: It would of already know you guys were there so that mouse did you a big favor.

I am considering some of the reasons it didn't make some warning noises or even scream?

PM me if you want? the thread is straying away from why more didn't investigate all the Bluff Creek reports?

as always JMO tracker, dry.gif

In answer to trackers post no#1 and his original question. I think between 1958 and 1967 there was more research going on in Northern California than anywhere else at the time, including British Columbia. Tom Slicks Pacific North West Expedition was started in 1959 and continued until his tragic death in 1962, (Plane Crash) Green and Dahinden were the most well known researchers at the time but they lived 800 miles to the north in British Columbia. They were the most well known due to the fact that John Published material on the subject, there were others living in the region who never published and therefor they and their research were never known. If you believe what is published in Paulides books reports in this region are not only continuing but they are occurring just as often as they ever did. The main difference is local media don't seem to have the same interest today as they did back then and that really is a good thing in my opinion. I think Trackers main question of why somebody doesn't get their but in gear and head down there to solve this mystery today or why they didn't in the past is easily answered. Today as in the past anyone whom has an interest in finding an answer to this question for the most part is waiting for someone ELSE to do something.

Thomas Steenburg

Guest tracker

In answer to trackers post no#1 and his original question. I think between 1958 and 1967 there was more research going on in Northern California than anywhere else at the time, including British Columbia. Tom Slicks Pacific North West Expedition was started in 1959 and continued until his tragic death in 1962, (Plane Crash) Green and Dahinden were the most well known researchers at the time but they lived 800 miles to the north in British Columbia. They were the most well known due to the fact that John Published material on the subject, there were others living in the region who never published and therefor they and their research were never known. If you believe what is published in Paulides books reports in this region are not only continuing but they are occurring just as often as they ever did. The main difference is local media don't seem to have the same interest today as they did back then and that really is a good thing in my opinion. I think Trackers main question of why somebody doesn't get their but in gear and head down there to solve this mystery today or why they didn't in the past is easily answered. Today as in the past anyone whom has an interest in finding an answer to this question for the most part is waiting for someone ELSE to do something.

Thomas Steenburg

Hey thanks TS,

I'll do some researching into Slicks expedition or maybe you can post what you have found?. For those who don't realize this Bluff Creek still has Sasq activity. Sure maybe not a family living near by like in the 60's but on occassion there's new reports. I can't think of a better place to end the debate about their existence. So besides the campers, weekend warriors and tv shows. Is there nothing going on @ Bluff Creek beside locating the PGF site?

IMO There should be a sustained concentrated joint effort expedition @ BC or the like. Take turns on weekends or during hollidays or summers keeping a close eye on the area. We have Bf's in our huge Algonquin PP in northern Ontario. So I don't worry about an occassional sightings all over the map. Why chase our tails after one report here and another there when they are consistent in one area? Just put in the time at one location like Roger did and eventually you will have some results.

Dam i wish i lived close by to that area. Are there not some retired Army Rangers, Delta types in northern CA with the right field skills and cahonas that can get this done?? I mention these types of guys because it seems to me that everybody runs away when the opportunity arrises to bag a Bf or run it down. Bag meaning either to tranq and capture or if needed to kill an aggressive one. Run down, once it bolts you go after it until you catch up with it again. Film ? well sure attached a camera to one of the soldiers gear.

I don't know maybe this approach is too kiss and direct. Instead lets drive all over gods creation chasing down reports after biggie has come and gone and the trail is days old. good luck with that.

as always JMO tracker, dry.gif

This is Laurence W. "Scoop" Beal, the managing editor of the Humboldt Standard from 1955 through its merger with the Eureka Times in 1967 and his retirement in 1971...

Bigscoop.gif

The Humboldt Standard along with its sister paper the Humboldt Times were the newspapers that brought Bigfoot to the international conciousness...

20081030_115150_bf2_300.jpg20081030_115102_bf1_300.jpg

This is a story on the life and career of Scoop...

http://extras.times-standard.com/150/steer_beal.asp

Here is a quote about Beal from his wife June...

"He was there at 6 o’clock in the morning – Gosh, he loved his job," recalled Beal’s widow June. "He was interested in everything. He liked to start things, his mind was always looking into new things."

June passed away at the age of 88 in 2007. This is her...

art1120-june.jpg

Some info about June can be found at the following links...

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/112003/artbeat1120.html

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/ci_6303656

What is the most interesting regarding this thread is the following testimony by June about her husband when interviewed by the Times-Standard regarding her husband's involvement with Ray Wallace...

What was surprising was what the Times-Standard -- that descendant of the original Bigfoot newspapers -- learned upon news of Wallace's death. The Times-Standard called June Beal, wife of deceased Times editor L.W. “Scoop†Beal, to find out if she knew anything about it. June Beal was a perpetually pleasant person who until shortly before her death in July 2007 visited the newsroom regularly to chat.

June Beal told the Times-Standard that she'd been mum on the topic for nearly five decades, even as she watched it spiral out of control. Finally, with Wallace's death, she was willing to share her secret.

â€They were in on this hoax,†June Beal said of her husband and Wallace. “It was just a fun thing and the fun got out of hand.â€

It certainly explains Chambers' almost complete lack of skepticism in his reporting at the time. It also shows how newspapers -- especially at the time -- had an incredible influence on events, as Bigfoot became infused into the minds of the adventurous, the scared and the gullible.

http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_10853838

Unfortunately, with both Laurence and June deceased, we may never no the extent to which Beal, the Standard, Wallace, and possibly Roger Patterson were involved in the hoaxing that June spoke of. What we do know is that Scoop was able to make Roger's Bigfoot film front page news the day after it was allegedly filmed without ever having actually seen the film before printing.

I am personally of the opinion that these men were cooperating in hoaxing for years and are responsible for the modern Bigfoot phenomenon as we know it.

Guest tracker

This is Laurence W. "Scoop" Beal, the managing editor of the Humboldt Standard from 1955 through its merger with the Eureka Times in 1967 and his retirement in 1971...

Bigscoop.gif

The Humboldt Standard along with its sister paper the Humboldt Times were the newspapers that brought Bigfoot to the international conciousness...

20081030_115150_bf2_300.jpg20081030_115102_bf1_300.jpg

This is a story on the life and career of Scoop...

What is the most interesting regarding this thread is the following testimony by June about her husband when interviewed by the Times-Standard regarding her husband's involvement with Ray Wallace...

Unfortunately, with both Laurence and June deceased, we may never no the extent to which Beal, the Standard, Wallace, and possibly Roger Patterson were involved in the hoaxing that June spoke of. What we do know is that Scoop was able to make Roger's Bigfoot film front page news the day after it was allegedly filmed without ever having actually seen the film before printing.

I am personally of the opinion that these men were cooperating in hoaxing for years and are responsible for the modern Bigfoot phenomenon as we know it.

Good post Kita and thanks ;) Sure PGF it's a big part of BC history. But were not debating that film here just the area.

Anyways there were many other sightings along with thousands of deep prints in varrious regions surrounding. Green and Dalhinden counted over a thousand prints in just one area themselves. Constuctions workers seeing Bf's watching them work or standing outside their cabins at night. Some quit their jobs and left region out of fear. These regular occurences went on for 12 years and to this day there is still activity there. :ph34r:

So it's more about why more wasn't done to investigate or hunt down these creatures back in the day during the high activity period or even now ??

Edited by tracker

http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_10853838

More unsubstantiated yakkity-yak being passed off as "proving the hoax"...accepted without question by Skeptics...

Nothing to see here...move along...