ewashguy56

Finding Bigfoot-Season 6-Episode1

ewashguy56

Wow, props to Cliff for that response!

I hear you. Thank you for all your input Cliff.

Maxtag

Cliff's Response and the conversation related to this is one of the main reasons I frequent this page often. 

Thank you Cliff for taking the time to communicate directly with people, to say its cool is an understatement. 

I still cannot however unsee a very large grown Man in a dress with a blonde wig thru Night Vision..... :),  i guess who's to say this is NOT the way to lure a bigfoot ? 

SWWASAS

Thanks for responding and being patient with us Cliff. Dish the show or not most of us watch. In my case it got me interested in BF research. At least I have something to blame for that. I have talked to you privately several times at various Hopsquatch events so you know me from that, not from here. One question I have is why you use the woodknock and howl thing when you have no idea what the knocks really mean and cannot expect to fool a BF with a human howling? I have heard the Ohio howl twice now in the field and there is no way a human could produce that. In my experience multiple knocks are a warning sent out to other BF to stay away. Learned that from a close encounter. Show after show you seem to be in an active situation and after a bunch of cast howls and knocks things go quiet. Some of us are surprised you have not noticed that like we have. I suspect that some of that is just to have something happen on camera or is it to play to the younger crowd? Just curious.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Teegunn

Yes, Thank you Cliff.  Very, very good stuff with what you are posting on the BFF. 

TedSallis

Thanks for being such a stand up guy, Cliff, and for being so straight forward, as well.  There aren't a lot of celebs (in fact, none that I can think of) that would take so much time to craft well thought out, polite and frank responses to folks in a forum the way you do.

Sure hope you find the Big Guy (well, the hairy one; you've already got one Big Guy!).

ewashguy56

I have a question for you Cliff. Regarding Ranae's skepticism of BF. Do you think it has softened any over the years? On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being she does not believe in BF at all, and 10 being like me and many others,  that she fully believes there is something out there, where would you place her?.  Thank you Cliff.

1980squatch

Everyone watches the show for different reasons, but by far the most mentioned reasons are the witness interviews and town hall meetings.

Yep, my favorite bits as well, but more generally I enjoy the show because I can watch and listen to folks who are serious about the subject and whose lives have been significantly influenced by it (whether that is the crew, witnesses or guest researchers).  As a witness who is not open about that, it is somewhat therapeutic to see the topic externalized on the TV in an overall respectful manner.

TD-40

I have a question for you Cliff. Regarding Ranae's skepticism of BF. Do you think it has softened any over the years? On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being she does not believe in BF at all, and 10 being like me and many others,  that she fully believes there is something out there, where would you place her?.  Thank you Cliff.

I want to add to this question...

Do you ever get frustrated with Ranae? how can anyone listen to all those town halls and see all the evidence and eyewitness testimony, all the legends, folklore, and stories, and still not believe there is something out there? A scientist needs evidence and data, I get it, but a scientist should also realize that most of these eyewitness accounts all describe the same characteristics and behaviors of what they have seen. And these stories are coming from everyday people who have no incentive to make up them up. Just these facts alone should intrigue a scientist, but Ranae won't budge. Do you ever get irritated by her?

Patterson-Gimlin

↑↑

She has stated before . She is paid to be a skeptic. I think it was on her facebook page. It is good to have the mix of Skeptic and Bobo who believes every story. It is good tv.

Cliff. Thanks for the responses. It is most kind of you to take the time for us. I agree that most people who watch the show does not believe in Bigfoot . I do not of course and I only know one person other than my youngest daughter that watches and does believe.

Hairy Man

Hey Cliff - welcome to the forum!  This is Kathy, btw.

I have always wondered how the locations are chosen. Who picks the areas to visit? Are the criteria for location based on recent sightings, history of sightings, local knowledge?

steenburg

It was nice meeting up with you and Matt again Cliff, On the Reserve while you were filming this episode last June. Just to update you on the 20 mile bay area since you left, it was devastated by a huge forest fire a few weeks after you all had gone home. One of the worst fires on Harrison lake in memory. Also there have been a few more strange reports around Weaver lake as well though all have been reports of strange animal cry's rather than actual sightings? I just watched the program, entertaining to say the lease. Team USA should have lost a couple of points for Bo Bo dressing in drag! that's just my opinion. LOL.

Thomas Steenburg

• Upvote 4

Gotta Know

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your thoughtful and informative posts. I'd not visited this thread since I'd written, so seeing your response after just watching your Maine episode was a bit surreal! I really enjoyed this episode, btw.

Based on Aaron's admonition above, I fear my remarks might have been a bit curt--my apologies. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anyone from the show to be reading... Your explanation helped to better explain both the show's purpose, and limitations.

While I have you, I've always wondered why the show doesn't delve more into how an encounter makes a witnesses FEEL? The show almost got there tonight with the father and son (and other children), when the father said that he, "was shocked," I believe. Oh, and that he'd, "peed a little." Funny, but I suspect he has a much deeper and yes, personal, opinion of what it is he witnessed.

I think the emotional side of the encounters holds so very much information. I'd imagine you're often getting their perceptions from them, but just not always shared?

For example, in last weekend's show, I think it was the second of two women friends who'd seen a BF with glowing red eyes. How did THAT make her feel, knowing there's no other animal out there whose eyes shine all on their own? Was she merely fascinated by her encounter, or terrified as well? Do witnesses get an impression of benevolence, or malice? Something else entirely? In tonight's episode where the BF passed by the son without looking at him, it felt like he'd experienced indifference or dismissal. What is there to be learned about these creatures based on our interactions with them from a visceral level?

I'm not expecting answers to these questions, and know you're not the producer! But thanks to your show and other "knowers" on here, I've gotten to a place where I have little doubt of their existence. What I enjoy most about what you and others are doing is helping to figure out what BF actually IS. And honestly, I don't think even a body will fully tell us that.

Thanks for your hard work, and for sharing it with all of us.

GK

Cliff Barackman

Hello, all.

I have a couple hours before I head off to film the town hall meeting, so I wanted to check in.  Below are my thoughts and replies...

Hey Cliff - welcome to the forum!  This is Kathy, btw.

I have always wondered how the locations are chosen. Who picks the areas to visit? Are the criteria for location based on recent sightings, history of sightings, local knowledge?

I kind of figured that "Hairy Man" is you, Kathy.  The work you've done on the pictograph has earned you the right to bear this handle proudly.  (For those who don't know, Kathy and Bob Strain are a huge part of the reason I am where I am today.  They have both inspired me to be a better bigfooter in ways that I cannot begin to fully express.  I will always be in their debt.)

A lot of factors go in to choosing a location.  All of these factors are considered and weighed appropriately to come to any final decision.  For this run of shows we are currently filming, weather was a huge factor because we have to film in the winter this time, which is why these episodes will be filmed in the South.  When we film is determined by when Animal Planet wants to start airing the shows.  How they come to that decision, I have no idea.  

The evidence itself is a very important component to the decision of where we film, obviously.  We try for photos and videos since television is a visual medium.  We usually try to get pics/vids that haven't been used by other shows, though this isn't always the case (the PGF and Marble Mountain Footage are two examples that come to mind).  We have also gone to a location based on footprint evidence and even sound recordings.  

Another consideration in choosing our locations is that we try to go places we haven't gone before.  I guess this might broaden our viewership since people like to hear about bigfoots in their home state, but I think for us bigfooters it is important to not only show that sasquatches are a species with a nation-wide distribution, but that the stories (both historical and contemporary) are not isolated events.  Bigfoots live practically right under our noses, and I think the show has had some success in showing this simple and unexpected fact to the public.

For the production, I think a very important aspect of choosing the location would be the "story hook" idea.  Even though Finding Bigfoot is not scripted like many other bigfoot television shows are, there is an overarching storyline to the episodes that gives them their structure (this is a separate idea from the format).  The first component of that storyline is the reason we went someplace, so there has to be a compelling reason beyond "we thought it would be cool to come here."  

I hope this answers the question to some degree...

It was nice meeting up with you and Matt again Cliff, On the Reserve while you were filming this episode last June. Just to update you on the 20 mile bay area since you left, it was devastated by a huge forest fire a few weeks after you all had gone home. One of the worst fires on Harrison lake in memory. Also there have been a few more strange reports around Weaver lake as well though all have been reports of strange animal cry's rather than actual sightings? I just watched the program, entertaining to say the lease. Team USA should have lost a couple of points for Bo Bo dressing in drag! that's just my opinion. LOL.

Thomas Steenburg

Thanks for the update, Thomas.  It was great to catch up with you, too.  I agree that Team USA should have lost some points for Bobo's uniform violation.  :)

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your thoughtful and informative posts. I'd not visited this thread since I'd written, so seeing your response after just watching your Maine episode was a bit surreal! I really enjoyed this episode, btw.

Based on Aaron's admonition above, I fear my remarks might have been a bit curt--my apologies. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anyone from the show to be reading... Your explanation helped to better explain both the show's purpose, and limitations.

While I have you, I've always wondered why the show doesn't delve more into how an encounter makes a witnesses FEEL? The show almost got there tonight with the father and son (and other children), when the father said that he, "was shocked," I believe. Oh, and that he'd, "peed a little." Funny, but I suspect he has a much deeper and yes, personal, opinion of what it is he witnessed.

I think the emotional side of the encounters holds so very much information. I'd imagine you're often getting their perceptions from them, but just not always shared?

For example, in last weekend's show, I think it was the second of two women friends who'd seen a BF with glowing red eyes. How did THAT make her feel, knowing there's no other animal out there whose eyes shine all on their own? Was she merely fascinated by her encounter, or terrified as well? Do witnesses get an impression of benevolence, or malice? Something else entirely? In tonight's episode where the BF passed by the son without looking at him, it felt like he'd experienced indifference or dismissal. What is there to be learned about these creatures based on our interactions with them from a visceral level?

I'm not expecting answers to these questions, and know you're not the producer! But thanks to your show and other "knowers" on here, I've gotten to a place where I have little doubt of their existence. What I enjoy most about what you and others are doing is helping to figure out what BF actually IS. And honestly, I don't think even a body will fully tell us that.

Thanks for your hard work, and for sharing it with all of us.

GK

No apologies necessary.  I took no offense at anything you said, I'm a big boy who can handle myself.  I think Aaron was just looking out for me, which I deeply appreciate.  Being in the public eye means having a big target on my back.  That's part of the reason I registered for the forums, actually...  To set the record straight on some of the erroneous speculation and sniping that has gone on.  I don't mind the tough questions, nor do I mind respectful criticism.  I do mind mean jerks, though, and I imagine I'd probably just pack up my bags and go home if discussions led to those levels.  Aaron, along with the others who guide this forum, are doing a great job keeping the discourse civil and appropriate.  I think he was just popping in to make sure people know that he (and others) is watching.

We try to ask about the witness' feelings and reactions as much as possible.  Not only because it's interesting, but the editors love to tap into the feelings because they connect so well with the viewers.  I think part of the problem is that people in general have a very difficult time expressing emotions in words.  They often just go back to the plain language of "scared" or "terrified" to get the meaning across.  We can only edit together what the witnesses give us, after all.  

Now, just to consolidate my efforts to one location, on the Finding Bigfoot thread, Woodslore asked:

Thanks for the answer Cliff. Though I wonder how can you tell you are being hoaxes with a wood knock? What sets the 2 types apart. 

You can't tell just by hearing the knock, of course.  One has to catch the hoaxer.  However, sometimes while deep in the woods one can be certain beyond all reasonable doubt that there are no people around.  I guess that would be the determining factor in setting the two apart.

I'll look over at the Maine thread to see if any questions have built up.  If there are only a couple, I might wait...  We'll see.

Thanks for your questions and comments.   I hope you and your families are enjoying the show!  

Best,

Cliff

• Upvote 3