ewashguy56

Finding Bigfoot-Season 6-Episode1

Welcome to the forum Cliff, I am a big fan of the show, and the 4 of you in the cast. 

SWWASAS

I have a quick question. Over the years some of us have seen what looks like eyeshine in some of the night investigtion scenes. Maybe one episode a year, usually behind you when you have your back to the woods and are talking about something. Exactly when you would think a BF would take a peek at you. It gets discussed on the forum but I don't think you were on the forum then. It could be it was something you were aware of during the editing process and decided it was something you knew was there like an owl. Has anyone mentioned eyeshine in what you air? Sort of makes me wonder how much you are getting that is edited out and you might not know about it if the editors do not look for it. Hopefully they are looking for that sort of thing.

TD-40

I would like to know if Cliff is going to join us in some of the other forum discussions? Maybe in the offseason? This place can get really interesting. You'd be surprised at some of the experiences that some people here have had.

norseman

Here is some food for thought with your show Cliff, from my perspective as a hunter. And much of this is dependent on the end game of you show.

I have a problem with howling and wood knocking, I'm not saying that Sasquatch doesnt do those things. But humans have no idea what is being communicated through them.

For example, when I first got into Elk hunting as a teenager I practiced with a Elk bugle until I could bugle like I was the king kong of the Elk world. I sounded better than bull Elk......and that was a problem. Because when I would bugle the herd bull would round up his harem and head for the next county. And many times I did not see this happen I had to put two and two together that my actions were driving animals away from me.

I canned the bugle call mostly and now I use cow calls......trying to sound like a lost, lustful cow looking for a Bull to sweep me off my feet. Both are sounds Elk make but with different meaning and results.

We do not understand Sasquatch calls, so I think leaving them alone and keeping the initiative is better. Or if you will the possible element of surprise. Unless the goal is just an audio recording of a distant knock or whoop. Versus something more up close and personal.

I think a proven way that at least deserves further practice is predator calling. There are tons of different ways to call predators, most of which are appealing to hunger. And there are tons and tons of resources and products to play with and try. And there are also tons of regular hunting calls that would mimic larger game (such as a Elk vs. a dying Rabbit) that could be used as well with an apex predator such as Sasquatch is reported to be. Decoys used in conjunction with calls can also be used.

Just please be careful knowing that you are in the woods ringing the dinnerbell upon yourself. Electronic callers are a good way to distance yourself from the prey sounds versus a mouth call. But some states do not allow them.

I think a Sasquatch pouncing on a fake Deer fawn would make better TV than any wood knock :)

Scents of prey species could also be utilized as well, to help with the deception.

I've called in many species with this tried and true method, and some turkey and elk hunters inadvertently have as well for a nasty surprise. Keep the bear spray or pistol handy!

Lastly, being patient with you call set is key, some animals are more wary than others. You may need to let many animals come through your set with no sound or reaction from you before you see what your seeking.

Be safe out there Cliff!

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

BC witness

Norseman, I can attest to the unexpected consequences of using a call. The first time I tried a "fawn in distress" call, by mouth, as electronic calls are verboten in BC, I expected to have a predator appear, but was instead almost run over by a cow moose, which obviously interpreted my call as her calf in distress. That was almost as exiting as a bear charge!

The group I go out with has agreed to not use calls or knocks for exactly the reason you state, and I was present when Thomas explained his reasoning on this to Cliff and Matt when they were here last year to film the episode in discussion here.

norseman

I've called in a Mule Deer doe with a rabbit in distress call. I was hunting Black Bear with my wife and saw this streak of reddish blonde through the brush and my heart sank.....as I thought I was going to have to shoot a Griz. She came to about 20 ft of us and began stomping her feet repeatedly and finally bounded off.

Well even if Cliff doesnt want to drop the knocks and whoops from his tool belt? I certainly believe predator calling should be added to it.....it flat works.

• Upvote 1

Woodslore

I've called in a Mule Deer doe with a rabbit in distress call.

I'd believe it. Had whitetail come out to see what was going on when I used a coyote howl (also had them freak out over it). 

Titanpat57

Thank you for coming on board Cliff, also for taking the time and effort to respond.

BigTreeWalker

Referring to calls I just mentioned the experience we had using cow elk calls in the Maine thread. My research partner has also effectively used cow elk calls and had some nighttime experiences up around Bumping Lake. Though I was not with him at the time. So I think calls other than supposed BF calls can be an effective tool. With the added benefit of not spooking the sasquatch out of the area.

Of course you would probably want to use calls of animals indigenous to the specific area.

• Upvote 1

norseman

And have your head on a swivel. ;)

Spot on BTW!

Bodhi

Hello all.

There are a lot of things to reply to in this thread so far, so let me get to it.  I'm not really fluent at forums, and this quoting thing is throwing me for a small loop (I've already erased a reply that I had previously started, so now I'm starting again).  

https://www.facebook.com/CliffBarackman/photos/pb.264060103730189.-2207520000.1452211648./710199932449535/?type=3&theater

Bodhi:

That "something's on the hill" thing is the only time I actually might have seen a sasquatch.  You can read about it here: 

http://cliffbarackman.com/finding-bigfoot/finding-bigfoot-episode-guide/finding-bigfoot-season-one/finding-bigfoot-season-one-caught-on-tape/

Don't feel too bad for Bobo.  Those search techniques, including the hippy stuff and the dress and wig, are entirely his ideas.  Most of what you see on our solo camping trips is left up to us.  During that filming, Bobo was not feeling very well, so you saw some of that come through.  However, he is doing very well now, and has dropped a bunch of weight and is taking good care of himself.  When you see the upcoming OR and CA episodes, you'll notice a difference.  He's still Bobo, though.  Don't expect anything "normal" from him.  He's just not normal, but's that also why he is so loved, right?

I think that the majority of people who watch the show do not believe in bigfoot.  They watch to see four weirdos run around the woods and talk to people who they think are lying or crazy.  Apparently, that's good TV.  I couldn't stomach that if I didn't think bigfoots were real, but I'm not really a television watcher.

Matt would not use something if it was just a prop.  He is a very proud man and often resists the most when we are asked to do something just for TV (like even speak to someone who we don't think is legit, or try some search technique that he doesn't think has a chance).  You don't have to like Matt, but you can rest assured that whatever he says, he means.  

Best,

Cliff

Hey there,

Thanks for link!

Very pleased that bobo has dropped some weight and is doing better, that's truly welcome news. I'm also pleased he wasn't manipulated into wearing the dress and wig. I'm completely down with his tie dye though, if he started selling sasquatch related tie dye I'd grab a couple.

Again, I like the tech stuff. I saw some info on the FLIR which was being used but I didn't hear what exactly moneymaker was using. He seemed vague about it which caused me to be a bid dubious. Any idea what he was using? I've tried going to the animal planet site to look for product placement links but it's a bit helter skelter.

Have a great year and good luck in your research.

Cliff Barackman

Hello, everyone.  

I've been working a lot, but I have finally found a little time to come check the forum.  

I have a quick question. Over the years some of us have seen what looks like eyeshine in some of the night investigtion scenes. Maybe one episode a year, usually behind you when you have your back to the woods and are talking about something. Exactly when you would think a BF would take a peek at you. It gets discussed on the forum but I don't think you were on the forum then. It could be it was something you were aware of during the editing process and decided it was something you knew was there like an owl. Has anyone mentioned eyeshine in what you air? Sort of makes me wonder how much you are getting that is edited out and you might not know about it if the editors do not look for it. Hopefully they are looking for that sort of thing.

The problem with things that look like eyeshine is that any two points of light in the woods kind of near each other looks like eyeshine.  Sometimes these lights are indeed eyeshine, but the vast majority of the time they are just bright points seen by the light-sensitive cameras we use.  The eyeshine we see has so far always been from normal animals, as far as I know.  Many people write to me every week telling me they see eyeshine behind me, or even bigfoots themselves.  I can pretty much assure you that this is an excellent example of pareidolia.  These same people reporting eyeshine or bigfoots in the woods often see these shapes in the thermal footage on the show.  Eyeshine does not show up in thermal imagers.  

I would like to know if Cliff is going to join us in some of the other forum discussions? Maybe in the offseason? This place can get really interesting. You'd be surprised at some of the experiences that some people here have had.

Maybe.  I sometimes glance at other topics when I have the time.  If I have something substantive to offer, I certainly will join in.  However, I'm not really interested in convincing anyone of anything.  I have my experiences, they have theirs, and who am I to say they are right or wrong?  However, if I find factual errors or blind suppositions that I can shed some light on, I'll certainly jump in.  I did so just a few months ago in a thread about some people seeing what they interpreted as a boot heel shape in one of the PG casts, which supported their claim the cast (and therefore the film) was fake.  I supplied a couple photos of the original cast to quiet down the panic.  

Here is some food for thought with your show Cliff, from my perspective as a hunter. And much of this is dependent on the end game of you show.

I have a problem with howling and wood knocking, I'm not saying that Sasquatch doesnt do those things. But humans have no idea what is being communicated through them.

For example, when I first got into Elk hunting as a teenager I practiced with a Elk bugle until I could bugle like I was the king kong of the Elk world. I sounded better than bull Elk......and that was a problem. Because when I would bugle the herd bull would round up his harem and head for the next county. And many times I did not see this happen I had to put two and two together that my actions were driving animals away from me.

I canned the bugle call mostly and now I use cow calls......trying to sound like a lost, lustful cow looking for a Bull to sweep me off my feet. Both are sounds Elk make but with different meaning and results.

We do not understand Sasquatch calls, so I think leaving them alone and keeping the initiative is better. Or if you will the possible element of surprise. Unless the goal is just an audio recording of a distant knock or whoop. Versus something more up close and personal.

I think a proven way that at least deserves further practice is predator calling. There are tons of different ways to call predators, most of which are appealing to hunger. And there are tons and tons of resources and products to play with and try. And there are also tons of regular hunting calls that would mimic larger game (such as a Elk vs. a dying Rabbit) that could be used as well with an apex predator such as Sasquatch is reported to be. Decoys used in conjunction with calls can also be used.

Just please be careful knowing that you are in the woods ringing the dinnerbell upon yourself. Electronic callers are a good way to distance yourself from the prey sounds versus a mouth call. But some states do not allow them.

I think a Sasquatch pouncing on a fake Deer fawn would make better TV than any wood knock :)

Scents of prey species could also be utilized as well, to help with the deception.

I've called in many species with this tried and true method, and some turkey and elk hunters inadvertently have as well for a nasty surprise. Keep the bear spray or pistol handy!

Lastly, being patient with you call set is key, some animals are more wary than others. You may need to let many animals come through your set with no sound or reaction from you before you see what your seeking.

Be safe out there Cliff!

Thank you for the suggestion.  We have used predator calls on the show on a number of occasions.  They certainly would work in the right circumstances.  When I go bigfooting off the show, I am usually alone, though.  I have used them when alone, but not often.  I don't want to ring the dinner bell for a hungry mountain lion if it's just me and my dog in camp.  One of us might not make it back home, and that would be tragic.

As far as using knocks and calls, I've explained this elsewhere, I believe.  However, to summarize...  We are put in the uncomfortable situation of trying to get some response from a sasquatch in front of over a million viewers in a location that none of us have probably been in before, and we have six hours to do so.  The easiest and most effective way is to try to get them to respond to our noises.  I'm astonished it works as well as it does, honestly.  I call it "quick and dirty," and I do not employ these same techniques at my own research locations.  I practice a more long-term strategy there.

Thank you for coming on board Cliff, also for taking the time and effort to respond.

No problem.  Just be patient for replies.  My work schedule is a very busy one.  

Hello all.

There are a lot of things to reply to in this thread so far, so let me get to it.  I'm not really fluent at forums, and this quoting thing is throwing me for a small loop (I've already erased a reply that I had previously started, so now I'm starting again).  

https://www.facebook.com/CliffBarackman/photos/pb.264060103730189.-2207520000.1452211648./710199932449535/?type=3&theater

Bodhi:

That "something's on the hill" thing is the only time I actually might have seen a sasquatch.  You can read about it here: 

http://cliffbarackman.com/finding-bigfoot/finding-bigfoot-episode-guide/finding-bigfoot-season-one/finding-bigfoot-season-one-caught-on-tape/

Don't feel too bad for Bobo.  Those search techniques, including the hippy stuff and the dress and wig, are entirely his ideas.  Most of what you see on our solo camping trips is left up to us.  During that filming, Bobo was not feeling very well, so you saw some of that come through.  However, he is doing very well now, and has dropped a bunch of weight and is taking good care of himself.  When you see the upcoming OR and CA episodes, you'll notice a difference.  He's still Bobo, though.  Don't expect anything "normal" from him.  He's just not normal, but's that also why he is so loved, right?

I think that the majority of people who watch the show do not believe in bigfoot.  They watch to see four weirdos run around the woods and talk to people who they think are lying or crazy.  Apparently, that's good TV.  I couldn't stomach that if I didn't think bigfoots were real, but I'm not really a television watcher.

Matt would not use something if it was just a prop.  He is a very proud man and often resists the most when we are asked to do something just for TV (like even speak to someone who we don't think is legit, or try some search technique that he doesn't think has a chance).  You don't have to like Matt, but you can rest assured that whatever he says, he means.  

Best,

Cliff

Hey there,

Thanks for link!

Very pleased that bobo has dropped some weight and is doing better, that's truly welcome news. I'm also pleased he wasn't manipulated into wearing the dress and wig. I'm completely down with his tie dye though, if he started selling sasquatch related tie dye I'd grab a couple.

Again, I like the tech stuff. I saw some info on the FLIR which was being used but I didn't hear what exactly moneymaker was using. He seemed vague about it which caused me to be a bid dubious. Any idea what he was using? I've tried going to the animal planet site to look for product placement links but it's a bit helter skelter.

Have a great year and good luck in your research.

If you're into the tie dye thing, perhaps you'd like a "Dancing Bigfoots" design for a tee shirt?  It's my own design modeled after the Grateful Dead's "Dancing Bear" design.  

http://www.redbubble.com/people/thebigfootstore/works/15892807-greatfoot-circle-design

I'm not sure what sort of technology Matt was using.  Are you referring to the model of FLIR?  I wasn't out with him (obviously, that was his solo thing), so what would you like more info on?

Thanks, folks.

Cliff

• Upvote 1