Bfro Data

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I mentioned having encountered chest beating and he was very interested in that.   As we were talking, someone came up, overheard our discussion,  and said they had experienced that behavior too.  That got him even more interested.    This person was from Idaho and I mentioned someone in California reporting it also.     So that is three different regions reporting the same behavior.   We had a good laugh at the circumstances on how I triggered the behavior.    He picked up a notebook and made notes.     I had never heard of it before I experienced it.       This is the kind of stuff that academics may not be aware of unless they have contact with field researchers.   But some seem to have walled themselves off from lay field researchers.   One of my pet peeves.     

Hi SWWASQUATCH,

Here is a report of chest beating in Oregon if you're interested.

http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/report_detail.php?id=00022

BFF Patron

Thanks for that report CM.      The experts that were not there, always claim grouse.      There is a difference between my experience and a grouse.   I have heard many grouse in the field and listened to many recordings of them.     Just find a ruffled grouse recording and you can hear what I am saying.      They start flapping their wings very slow down near 1 hz, then ramp up in frequency to a peak frequency and then that beat frequency drops off at the end to a slower rate.      The chest beating was immediately about a quick as it got and stayed at very close to the same beat rate for the duration.    You can only swing big arms so fast to slap your chest.    The grouse beat at the high end beat frequency is very fast.   After all they can move their wings fast enough to fly.        Of course in my case  I broke all my field protocols because of the call of nature and did not have my recorder running when I got out of the truck.   When it happened it really scared me because of how loud it was and right behind me.     I whirled around and did not see anything.  Nor did I find anything looking for what produced the sound.      When I got home I started researching what it might be.       Grouse was first on the list.     After listening to many grouse recordings I ruled that out.     The sound I heard was familiar but I just could not place it.    Then I remembered watching Gorillas in the mist and hearing the same thing produced by a mountain gorilla making a bluff charge.  I pulled up gorilla chest beating videos and that was nearly identical to what I heard.     Grouse and gorilla are very different in the beat frequencies etc.     I have experienced it once more at an entirely different location miles away,  and it also was a response to the call of nature.    The second time it was raining and my recorder was in the pack so I missed getting it again.      It would seem that BF do not like you marking their territory.     If you suspect a BF is near, and you want to elicit a reaction and get it on your recorder,  I might even recommend doing it intentionally but it really ticks them off.   Having it happen when you are not aware BF are even present has changed my behavior in the field.   I am more discrete and do not openly relieve myself where it might be seen as marking territory.    After all I am in their living room when I am in the woods.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

BFF Patron

I agree with the 75-84 stuff BigTree yeah and rightly or wrongly, it would probably play some part.

And yes that 95-04 period, or at least from 2002, was the starting spurt of internet usage where 2002 broke the "more than 50% of the population in the US" from a usage perspective (2000 43%, 2001 49%, 2002 59%).

The thing that i find hard to understand is when you add the internet usage, which from 2007 was above 75% of the US Population, and the recent TV Craze (Monster Quest first released in 2007, FB first released in 2011) together, we've then seen decreases in reports.

That doesn't actually make sense.

Actually, I think it makes perfect sense, it relates to the paucity of actual sightings that ever migrate to the public by wary witnesses and are rarely expounded upon by people who are  sure what they saw and even less sure they want to be characterized as a few molecules short of a sharp knife.   

SSR Team

Possibly B but whether reports would be bogus in the first place or not, there "should" still be more reports during those time periods IMO, even if like we acknowledge, it's just people trying their luck.

Not every database has the best "BS filters" after all.