Cryptic Megafauna

What Branch Of The Family Tree Does Patty Belong?

Oonjerah

Here's my theory:

When an organism moves in to exploit an environmental niche, it often develops two forms, the Robust and the Gracile. Examples include wolves and coyote, raven and crow. Its already known that humans are the gracile form of our species. Is there a robust form? If so what is it? Interesting coincidence: 'Bigfoot' hair under analysis always comes back as 'human'.

The robust form of a human would look pretty close to what a human is; larger might be one difference. We already see how much hoaxing is done where humans try to pass themselves off as BF; apparently the two forms are pretty close to each other...

I agree with that theory.  Here's mine: 

He's probably nomadic.  Having a lot of stuff can show you down.

I like to have a lot of stuff.  It never crosses my mind that there could be a whole big tribe of people who don't need Stuff.

Such would likely be robust.

• Upvote 1

Oonjerah

Correction for the post above:

Having a lot of stuff can slow you down.

salubrious

Here is something that recently showed up that suggests that my theory might be holding some water:

http://www.livescience.com/50481-why-humans-have-chins.html

Patty has a chin. Apparently that's pretty unusual amongst primates...

Oonjerah

Patty's face always looked human to me.  Certainly no more primitive than Nikolai Valuev.

And he's not the most primitive looking guy I've seen. 

MIB

Yeah .. hair covered, a bit ... robust ... but far more human than ape.  Lot more seemingly human expression than ape-like / anthropomorphic caricature of human expression.    I think it would be very hard to look Patty in the eye up close and not think "person."

MIB

Cryptic Megafauna

I just posted this on another thread but seemed relevant here.

Homo Habilis and Patty

post-25212-0-20940600-1454374397_thumb.j

The chin is recessive as is the forehead in both, immense cheekbones, brow ridges,

recessive forehead. 

The difference is that Patty may have a sagittal crest which gives the cone head appearance.

Australopithecus has this and is used for ligament attachment of the huge jaw muscles and in other more apelike animals

as they have to spend a great deal of time and force chewing.

What changed for us was diet. We cooked our food or ate more marrow and less fibrous foods.

About the same time we started using tools and is why we have opposable thumbs for gripping rocks and sticks.

Patty does not, her hand is more like a foot, and her foot more like a hand.

So we are at the dividing line between ape and man it seems to me.

PS: These types of early relatives were unknown at the time of the P-G film and were discovered as fossils later on.

• Upvote 1

Cryptic Megafauna

BTW, this video is pretty good, if you have not seen it.

Some said it was debunked but I wonder...

Illustrates some of the principles I mentioned.

https://youtu.be/b8TzIM-V1qM

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

xspider1
BFF Donor

Interesting comparison of the two primates, CM.  I see some significant similarities and some significant differences as well.  The Homo Habilis rendition somehow looks more 'human'.  I think that's primarily because of the shape of the top portion of Patty's head. 

post-131-0-51078600-1454377789.jpg

I'd have to say though that Patty would have opposable thumbs like all of the great apes and that her feet are more human than not (i.e., no 'opposable' big toe).  Makes me wonder why our feet are, in some ways, less functional that those of the other, supposedly less developed, great apes.  : |

xspider1
BFF Donor

^ Nope.  You must be referring to this newly recognized species:

post-131-0-68823100-1454389467_thumb.jpg

norseman
BFF Donor

Here is something that recently showed up that suggests that my theory might be holding some water:

http://www.livescience.com/50481-why-humans-have-chins.html

Patty has a chin. Apparently that's pretty unusual amongst primates...

No, Patty lacks a prominent chin unlike modern humans.

CM is spot on with his comparison.

Incorrigible1
BFF Donor

Hey, a bit of an internal conflict. What is it, men?

MIB

No, Patty lacks a prominent chin unlike modern humans.

My eyes disagree with you ... adamantly ... on this.    Look back to post #38.  I think her chin is as prominent as yours in your avatar.

MIB

norseman
BFF Donor

She has a receding chin....

post-735-0-53330100-1454428901_thumb.jpg

southernyahoo

Some humans have a receding chin. I don't think there is a degree of recession that will be what distinguishes the species without subjective opinion.

• Upvote 1