Cryptic Megafauna

What Branch Of The Family Tree Does Patty Belong?

Cryptic Megafauna

There is a body of narratives over centuries, and if one considers these collective narratives, we see a creature who:

1. Is primarily adapted to nocturnal activities.  Yes they are seen in daytime, but the weight of narratives indicate significantly more activity starting at sundown.  Only recently developed technology has allowed our own limited abilities to go out at night.  But those technological abilities simultaneously telegraph human approaches from long distances, enabling observation or evasion - whichever they prefer. 

2. Has a natural Ghillie suit.  Ideal for breaking up overall shape, many report a flat black appearance that doesn't reflect light, ideal for moving and living in the shadows, hunting by ambush, and while they are very large animals, they can get very small by using this natural camouflage.  It is so easy to hide from humans very nearby, if one can break up his shape, remain motionless, and confuse human eyes by blending with shadows, rocks, and grey bark.

3. They have great muscular mass and are extremely powerful.  Those "natural" approaches taken by humans, due to limited strength and capability, are NOT the same natural approaches taken by much more powerful critters.  The ability to leap great distances and run up almost vertical inclines due to apparently a differently hinged ankle enable them to "disappear" very quickly.  

4. Animals that can't "talk" seem to be able to use other means to communicate basic concerns to others of their species.  We like to think we alone have a spoken language, and maybe we do - but what if language can be defined as a means to communicate - then there are degrees of language.  There are peoples even today that can't read or write, but they meet their own needs.  Some backward cultures can't do calculus, but neither do they find a need for it.  And yet they are as human as NASA employees.

5. I noted especially in the jungle and deep remote forests, you have your daytime players, and come sundown, they become relatively inactive and an entirely new group of players come out to in turn, dominate the night.  Some do split duties.  Some lean more one way than the other, due to their capabilities.  Outdoorsmen know this.

Humans and Critters have some similarities.  Likewise, they have many dissimilarities.   Just how many are yet to be determined.

My point being that man evolved my sacrificing robustness (muscle mass, intestinal development, bone thickness) for the advantage of a larger brain. The evolutionary advantage is what defines modern man.

The brain is a huge investment of energy and developmental investment so the sacrifice was in the energy of other organic structures requirements.

It is how we and a Bigfoot may differ, but does not exclude a Bigfoot from being highly intelligent.

They may have the intellectual level of a 12 - 16 year old.

They just won't wind up using their mental abilities to model there social behavior on the same level a person would.

They wouldn't need to if they live in small groups, it would be a waste of fire power that can be better used to conceal and then out maneuver FarArcher.

guyzonthropus

We're the only animals that can drown? Is that really your final answer?

Just kidding...I presume I'm not getting what you're trying to say with that....

And sure...physiological developments can be attributed to any number of root causes, though very few are singular in nature...heck it could just be that that guy in Bakersfield whose dream this all is had spaghetti for dinner and so we now walk upright...go figure...perhaps it's the result of a corporeal essence intersecting with an entity of light energy, passing through dimensional realities in a microsecond timeframe recreating either just itself or all of physical reality at every instant... And in the act of this act may manifest quadrupedality at one instant only to reform it's physicality to that of an upright being as the context dictates, at least until that fella in Bakersfield wakes up again.....

Edited by guyzonthropus

Cryptic Megafauna

Just kidding...I presume I'm not getting what you're trying to say with that....

And sure...physiological developments can be attributed to any number of root causes, though very few are singular in nature...heck it could just be that that guy in Bakersfield whose dream this all is had spaghetti for dinner and so we now walk upright...go figure...perhaps it's the result of a corporeal essence intersecting with an entity of light energy, passing through dimensional realities in a microsecond timeframe recreating either just itself or all of physical reality at every instant... And in the act of this act may manifest quadrupedality at one instant only to reform it's physicality to that of an upright being as the context dictates, at least until that fella in Bakersfield wakes up again.....

We are the only animal that can't breath and swallow at the same time so we can choke on water, above the surface or below the surface, its the same mechanism.

It has to do with our evolution of language ability.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

salubrious

We are the only animal that can't breath and swallow at the same time so we can choke on water, above the surface or below the surface, its the same mechanism.

Actually this is incorrect. All animals with lungs share the breathe and swallow thing.

See: "Your Inner Fish", a PBS production; I saw it on Netflix.

• Upvote 1

guyzonthropus

Well, actually, snakes extend a glotis, an extension of the trachea in a sense, from the underside of their prey item as its being swallowed to enable continued breathing during what can be a rather lengthy process, so there are indeed creatures able to breath and swallow simultaneously.

I wonder if sax players can drink water while doing that circular breathing technique? Let's see Kenny g do that whilst playing one of those solos of his! lol

Cryptic Megafauna

Actually this is incorrect. All animals with lungs share the breathe and swallow thing.

See: "Your Inner Fish", a PBS production; I saw it on Netflix.

See my more detailed answer above.

Cryptic Megafauna

I guess the anthropologists are wrong then....

Score 1 for BFF.

FarArcher

That's correct.  That's why apes can't speak - or to be more technical - modulate their noises into language.

We don't "speak."  We modulate noises we can make

The only species that can do that.

Per the experts known as anthropologists.

Twist

That's correct.  That's why apes can't speak - or to be more technical - modulate their noises into language.

So then what does "speak" 

to "speak" is to communicate vocally, or articulate sounds, hence modulating noises into meaning.  

guyzonthropus

Please correct me if I'm wrong but in speech, in contrast to non-verbal communication, each distinc sound(phoneme?) has no single meaning but is instead a component or part of spoken words(other than, of course, monosyllabic words) comprised of various combinations of these sounds. Abstract meaning is then ascribed to these combinations, usually in accord with grammatical formats, and are shared/agreed upon/taught by members of the society or linguistic group to the next generation.

Bear in mind that words often have two or more meanings, therefore, so do the particular sound combinations that represent that word in the spoken language. But it's not a matter of sound modulation that imbues meaning into sound, rather it's consistent reproduction and use of the sounds, the production of which may well involve shaping base sound waves to attain certain nuances or tones via mouth, throat, tongue,and vocal tract configuration, yet there is a lot more involved in attaching meaning to sound in the formation of spoken language.

As for human s being the only creature that can modulate vocal sound, I gotta say not quite...birds do this all the time. Check out some of the extraordinary sounds they've recorded the various species of bird of paradise from New Guinea, that is some crazy sound modulation. Some birds can produce two fundamental tones simultaneously, and I would think then modulate those, perhaps even independently, which really opens up the possibilities of sound production in nature!

Cryptic Megafauna

So then what does "speak" 

to "speak" is to communicate vocally, or articulate sounds, hence modulating noises into meaning.  

Has to do with the sophistication of the "speaking".

And the sophistication of the "speaker"

what is recieved and what is broadcast and why you need that level of sophistication.

Bigfoot might talk about why Aunt Minnie just bopped Joe Bob upside the head or ask you your name.

You might choose to talk about the speed of light as an expression of Christ consciousness.

It might be that Bigfoot can "think" that, probably we can't analyze brain signals to that extent so we don't know.

But Bigfoot would have a harder time expressing the idea as his, or her, choices are fewer.

FarArcher

Please correct me if I'm wrong but in speech, in contrast to non-verbal communication, each distinc sound(phoneme?) has no single meaning but is instead a component or part of spoken words(other than, of course, monosyllabic words) comprised of various combinations of these sounds. Abstract meaning is then ascribed to these combinations, usually in accord with grammatical formats, and are shared/agreed upon/taught by members of the society or linguistic group to the next generation.

Bear in mind that words often have two or more meanings, therefore, so do the particular sound combinations that represent that word in the spoken language. But it's not a matter of sound modulation that imbues meaning into sound, rather it's consistent reproduction and use of the sounds, the production of which may well involve shaping base sound waves to attain certain nuances or tones via mouth, throat, tongue,and vocal tract configuration, yet there is a lot more involved in attaching meaning to sound in the formation of spoken language.

As for human s being the only creature that can modulate vocal sound, I gotta say not quite...birds do this all the time. Check out some of the extraordinary sounds they've recorded the various species of bird of paradise from New Guinea, that is some crazy sound modulation. Some birds can produce two fundamental tones simultaneously, and I would think then modulate those, perhaps even independently, which really opens up the possibilities of sound production in nature!

Birds only change pitch and frequency.

Chimpanzees have yelps that have specific alarm calls for snake, leopard, or eagle, and when one is given, all the others in the immediate area know whether they should look about, look up, or look down.

But they do not modulate sounds and combine such calls and other sounds to make new meanings.

Our voicebox is much more complicated than an ape's, and through modulation of sounds, we can form sounds to make a word, or combine modulated sounds to generate entire, multi-word communications.  Like a sentence.

I'm not an expert on this stuff by a long, long ways - but I've listened to, and read the statements of those who were experts and tried to explain our differences.

Cryptic Megafauna

Mind speak is easier, just the frequency of thought itself.

And... you don't have to learn the language...

Twist

Mind speak is "easier" because its a conversation with yourself in your own head........of course you speak your own language. 

Edited by Twist

Cryptic Megafauna

Mind speak is "easier" because its a conversation with yourself in your own head........of course you speak your own language. 

Insisting on an error is an error of insistence.

Your opinion is solely your own, as is mine.