TD-40

Why Didn't Patty Run?

TD-40

She walked briskly away and did not run. Has it ever been discussed if she may have been pregnant? I guess I am asking two questions which probably isn't good for starting a thread. But I would like to know if you have any theories as to why she didn't run away like so many other reports... and if it has ever been explored as to whether she may have been pregnant which I suppose could explain why she didn't run.

Rockape

I've thought that maybe she was trying to lure them away from her young.

That or the guy in the suit was afraid he'd fall and his mask would fall off.

Backdoc

Most people who are outdoor types tell me when a person encounters an animal in the wild the animal will almost always just walk or trot away.

Animals walking or trotting off is the norm. Patty walked away and somewhat increase stride as Roger was getting to the barrier (the creek) between them.

It seems agreed most animals will not attack unless threatened or protecting their young.

Patty's reaction seems normal in that it matches what is observed all the time with other animals as our only point of reference. We don't have a bigfoot to observe.

For those who claim ( like x creatures show) the behavior of patty walking away is suspect, they cannot tell us what behavior Should have Patty done.

BD

Edited by Backdoc
  • Upvote 1

JustCurious

I think it's a simple as not running from predators.  If she was leading them away from a young one, why wouldn't she have come back to harass them when they went back to cast tracks?  You'd think she would have wanted them out of that area.  Ultimately, we'll never know the answer to your question with any certainty.

Guest Bigfoothunter

She walked briskly away and did not run. Has it ever been discussed if she may have been pregnant? I guess I am asking two questions which probably isn't good for starting a thread. But I would like to know if you have any theories as to why she didn't run away like so many other reports... and if it has ever been explored as to whether she may have been pregnant which I suppose could explain why she didn't run.

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-030

Yes ... a pregnancy test kit was found near the creek and the discarded strip had shown Patty was not pregnant. Also X-rays of the film did not show a baby in Patty's stomach.  

Seriously though - I would have to think hard to recall any reports of a Sasquatch running away. Nearly all say that when a Sasquatch had been spotted close by and it realized it had been seen  - it then walked off into the forest.

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Patterson-Gimlin

No reason to run.  Puny himans no threat.  She would have  ran from me.   A big threat. 

Squatchy McSquatch

Maybe what we see on film was Patty's top speed.

Guest Bigfoothunter

No reason to run.  Puny himans no threat.  She would have  ran from me.   A big threat. 

So would a wolverine, but if you came after it ... the small animal could make you regret doing it. :)   The same could have been said if you did the same with a Silverback gorilla that at only 5' 6" and weighing 776 lbs. it would have 10X the strength of a body-builder.

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Backdoc

Asking the Q of Why Patty did not run is designed to do one of two things?

1)  Inquire about why Patty walked away and did not run. 

2)  Try to suggest Patty walking away is evidence of a hoax.

There are those who fall in the 'Patty walks away and that suggest she is a hoax' camp,   Therefore, maybe they can educate us on Exactly what would define behavior from Patty which would suggest she is not a hoax.  Tells us the normal behavior.  Otherwise, her walking away is just an observation suggesting nothing against her being real -by itself.  There may be some other reason to doubt Patty being a real creature, but her walking away is not one of them.

BD

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

There are those who fall in the 'Patty walks away and that suggest she is a hoax' camp,   Therefore, maybe they can educate us on Exactly what would define behavior from Patty which would suggest she is not a hoax.  Tells us the normal behavior.  Otherwise, her walking away is just an observation suggesting nothing against her being real -by itself.  There may be some other reason to doubt Patty being a real creature, but her walking away is not one of them.

BD

It is theorized that Bigfoot do not run but can "run" in a walking posture as they don;t fully extend the leg and land on a heal strike like we do. They would not appear to be running but walking with very long strides. They probably can *walk* at 30-30 mph.

I think measurements at the site indicated that near the time she exited the scene and there after the strides were quite long.

She covered the distance quite fast, in fact, but seemed curiously briefly, so may have slowed her stroll to get a gander at homo sapiens. It seems also that she may have had an injury and may also have been protecting an infant nearby so perhaps was assessing the need for an threat charge.

The Ohio Grassman film recently and the Hoffman video both seem to indicate that the only time you can get a good video opportunity with a BF is when a child is nearby and your dealing with a female that has to slow down to accommodate the slower pace of a child or infant.

Rockape

Did anyone ever time Heironimus in the 40?

BD

Yeah, as BFHunter noted, practically all sighting reports say they walked away, not ran away. Seems normal behavior.

If she was leading them away from a young one, why wouldn't she have come back to harass them when they went back to cast tracks? 

Probably because she had already came back and removed her young before they did the casts?

MikeZimmer

My experience has been that animals are pretty casual until you approach within a certain critical distance; then they move away. Too close or too fast an approach and they will beat a hasty retreat. Of course, for some animals, you are going to be the one who must retreat. It varies with the species, and varies with how habituated the animal is to human presence.

SweatyYeti

He's never made it that far, Rock. Every time he gets to about the 39th yard....he jumps into a hole, to cool off. ;)

• Upvote 1

JDL

Patty looks to me to be comparable in age to a human woman in her mid forties.  Not as limber as she once was.  I'm sure she could run if she felt more threatened, but I think she wasn't inclined to in response to short guy with a camera up to his face.

Guest Bigfoothunter

He's never made it that far, Rock. Every time he gets to about the 39th yard....he jumps into a hole, to cool off. ;)

lol1_zps9cf3f9e2.gif

Edited by Bigfoothunter