Winter - Where Do They Go

I listened to an interview with meldrum on some sasquatch podcast/youtube thing (I recall off hand) recently. What really stuck with me was that meldrum stated his opinion that sasquatch live in the PNW area almost exlusively and that claims of sightings in tx, ohio, florida, etc are not sasquatches.

So migration into colorado according to meldrum is unlikely.

It's an interesting interview although meldrum is sort of monotone throughout.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Meldrum either where his thoughts are on x or y other than where his expertise lay personally, especially as i've seen one in Florida and i highly doubt they came up from the Keys or Caribbean.

I really don't put much weight on anything meldrum says, he's tainted for me after the number of questionable things he's signed onto. Falcon,standing's muppets and the rest. But his interview was (sorta') fresh in my mind (obviously not perfectly thought).

Hi Bodhi,

Can you remember if he clarified what he thought about claims of sightings outside the PNW? I mean I know that there are many out there that think that Skunk Apes or Boogers or         (insert local term that will generally be used in a Southern state) are a slightly different species than the supposed BF in the PNW. Did he allude to that point in the interview? 

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Where I live I've seen city dwellers that thought a woodchuck was a beaver and Bigfoot vs bear ID has it's problems at times.

The pattern of increased sightings seems to happening other areas with increasing deforestation and development such as in the greater Seattle area. I guess misidentification and Sasquatch sightings could both be going up.

SSR Team

I struggle with the mis id angle in general most of the time.

I'd be amazed if anyone ever took a predominantly 7ft plus, tall, upright man like hairy ape thing as any other animal than what it actually is personally especially after having the lottery ticket of seeing one myself, unobstructed, in broad daylight, for a decent amount of time, but i guess it takes all sorts to make a world though.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I struggle with the mis id angle in general most of the time.

I'd be amazed if anyone ever took a predominantly 7ft plus, tall, upright man like hairy ape thing as any other animal than what it actually is personally especially after having the lottery ticket of seeing one myself, unobstructed, in broad daylight, for a decent amount of time, but i guess it takes all sorts to make a world though.

If that's what you see, many are good with visual ID.

But all I have to do is go on YouTube and see bears being ID-ed as Sasquatch or P-G films being mis-identified as human in a costume to develop a counter thesis.

I have no reason to suspect your sighting and suspect that Sasquatch do exist (P-G again), if I can get around the general craziness of the medial storm that surrounds it. 

I've seen several things that no one want's to believe, either, but I know what I know.

SSR Team

But all I have to do is go on YouTube and see bears being ID-ed as Sasquatch or P-G films being mis-identified as human in a costume to develop a counter thesis.

I have no reason to suspect your sighting and suspect that Sasquatch do exist (P-G again), if I can get around the general craziness of the medial storm that surrounds it. 

I've seen several things that no one want's to believe, either, but I know what I know.

Fair enough CM but form a personal perspective i've never come across that much, or any memorable ones off the top of my head anyway.

I've come across loads that i believe are exaggerated, you can either find huge exaggerations for what people saw in the out takes of the Harry and the Hendersons movie with many people describing different things, some exaggerated, but no complete mis id's.

If you get 5 mins over the weekend (or whenever), i'd appreciate you digging up a youtube video or two or bears being id'd as Sasquatches if you could, i'd be interested to see that. 

I have always wondered about BF's metabolism and dietary requirements.  The basal metabolic rate for a 40 year old, 400 pound, 7' 6" guy is 3435 calories per day.  I have no idea if the calculation scales well to that size or is even remotely the same for a BF but you have to start somewhere and it is as good place as any. There is 136 calories in 4 oz of venison.  A 180 pound deer yields roughly 72 pounds of meat.  Crank through the math and you get one deer able to sustain a BF for roughly 11 days.  So they hunt one day per week and lay low the rest of the week. 

RE: BobbyO's post #84

As an additional input item, my son's unit, the "mountain battalion" aka" Black Lions of the USA 4th ID is stationed at Ft. Carson on the south side of Colorado Springs with the base/reservation continuing south toward Canon City for a distance over ~20 miles. They were a specialized armor unit designed for alpine desert combat conditions and why they were designated to northern Iraq to assist the Kurdish guys in 2003 when we first went into that place.

The thing is, they were extensively training on the base for several years leading up to the 2003 deployment at which time training activity fell off to almost nil. In light of what has been discussed, will ask Matt if anyone saw/heard anything while they were out on field problems.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
To correct typo

BFF Patron

I have always wondered about BF's metabolism and dietary requirements.  The basal metabolic rate for a 40 year old, 400 pound, 7' 6" guy is 3435 calories per day.  I have no idea if the calculation scales well to that size or is even remotely the same for a BF but you have to start somewhere and it is as good place as any. There is 136 calories in 4 oz of venison.  A 180 pound deer yields roughly 72 pounds of meat.  Crank through the math and you get one deer able to sustain a BF for roughly 11 days.  So they hunt one day per week and lay low the rest of the week. 

Does that 72 lbs include the liver since it would contain considerable nutrition?  If chasing down deer is their hunting method, then one would assume that smaller BF, juveniles certainly and possibly females, are not big and fast enough to catch a deer.      So that one deer for 11 days would not hold for a family group of BF.   While now and then I get pretty close to a deer,  I really doubt I could ever catch one unless it is sick or has a broken leg.    So there has to be a size factor involved in chasing down deer.    Then when BF gets to a certain age,  they would slow down just like humans,    So old age BF may not be able to still catch deer even though they might be large in size.    Both of those factors would require distribution of kills in family units.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

The one I got a good look at - his hair was a flat, flat black.  Almost an absence of light - more than a color.  They blend well in the shadows as there is no reflection as you'll see on something else - like a bear.  Of course, a bear has fur - and these things have hair.  Dogs have hair - wolves have fur.

While it's possible for an ambush attack on a deer, I would think that would just be a target of opportunity, and I don't see that as the primary method of operation.

I say they hunt as a clan/team/family.  Some drive, some wait in ambush.   Same things our human ancestors has done for millennia, and in the Eastern and Southern woodlands - still do today.  Some drive the deer/game, some lie in wait.

Fat.  Fat provides a ton of calories.  Primitive man had primitive weapons, and it was still a very dangerous endeavor to kill a bear - but they risked it anyway - for the calories.  Hogs have fat, and I've grinned when reading of a BF taking off with a farmer's hog under his arm.  Some areas have reported something killing bears - and not hunters or other bears.

I'd say the hunt as a group, I'd guess they've honed their skills, and manage somehow to eat.  To follow the game to lower levels is of course one highly likely possibility. 

What if they use dog or even coyotes to do their biddings at will to chase down deer? What if they all work together as a unit or even alone? I mean they do know how to throw a mean rock with precision even though they miss us un purpose. Also I did find some thing on video that I will be posting later today for Hifler on eye shine, that shows them with a dog or a large black cat in a abandoned house. Right before my encounters up in northern Michigan I heard coyotes right before my sightings. If they are living primitive and on the move I would believe that they stock up in areas where they would be moving next. This could explain these loner sightings that people see since there are not that many family unit sightings.

What would the estimated movement for a single creature per day be? we estimated 20 miles but I would say 50 miles per day , either way if they needed to travel a long distance they could do it and not loose a breath. This is a creature with at least a 50" - 70" stride from heel to heel. So if they need to move they can and have the power to do so where we cannot keep up with them. So I would say that a deer would not be a problem from the line. (Drag racing term)  They might even keep up with it and as an elder I would believe that it would have to keep it's keep or die. There must be some emotions there for their elders , since most of us who have seen them are still alive. But they do not talk to me like they do others but offer proof in other ways. I have seen foot prints in the winter on trails and these prints are of those of little feet, like children feet running barefooted on ice and snow. Who's parent in their right mind are going to let their children run around in the snow at night in the back woods. Especially with a long stride jumping over logs covering the trail. Makes no sense. So they are out in the winter just not that frequent.IMO 

I listened to an interview with meldrum on some sasquatch podcast/youtube thing (I recall off hand) recently. What really stuck with me was that meldrum stated his opinion that sasquatch live in the PNW area almost exlusively and that claims of sightings in tx, ohio, florida, etc are not sasquatches.

So migration into colorado according to meldrum is unlikely.

It's an interesting interview although meldrum is sort of monotone throughout.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Meldrum either where his thoughts are on x or y other than where his expertise lay personally, especially as i've seen one in Florida and i highly doubt they came up from the Keys or Caribbean.

I really don't put much weight on anything meldrum says, he's tainted for me after the number of questionable things he's signed onto. Falcon,standing's muppets and the rest. But his interview was (sorta') fresh in my mind (obviously not perfectly thought).

Hi Bodhi,

Can you remember if he clarified what he thought about claims of sightings outside the PNW? I mean I know that there are many out there that think that Skunk Apes or Boogers or         (insert local term that will generally be used in a Southern state) are a slightly different species than the supposed BF in the PNW. Did he allude to that point in the interview? 

Hey there Michael,

He didn't mention his thoughts on the possibility of different species in those areas. I do not recall if the interviewer brought up the possibility though...Sorry.

^^^^^^

By your logic then? The hobbit should have failed the sniff test as well. They were completely unexpected. And the west had known about the legends as long as we have known about Sasquatch roughly.

Bring in a bigfoot bone and then we'll talk. Right now, legends is all there are.

• Upvote 2

The one I got a good look at - his hair was a flat, flat black.  Almost an absence of light - more than a color.  They blend well in the shadows as there is no reflection as you'll see on something else - like a bear.  Of course, a bear has fur - and these things have hair.  Dogs have hair - wolves have fur.

While it's possible for an ambush attack on a deer, I would think that would just be a target of opportunity, and I don't see that as the primary method of operation.

I say they hunt as a clan/team/family.  Some drive, some wait in ambush.   Same things our human ancestors has done for millennia, and in the Eastern and Southern woodlands - still do today.  Some drive the deer/game, some lie in wait.

Fat.  Fat provides a ton of calories.  Primitive man had primitive weapons, and it was still a very dangerous endeavor to kill a bear - but they risked it anyway - for the calories.  Hogs have fat, and I've grinned when reading of a BF taking off with a farmer's hog under his arm.  Some areas have reported something killing bears - and not hunters or other bears.

I'd say the hunt as a group, I'd guess they've honed their skills, and manage somehow to eat.  To follow the game to lower levels is of course one highly likely possibility. 

Far,

That's another place where meldrum seems to be thinking that sasquatches are quite different than you are thinking. He believes that the evidence indicates that they live solitary lives and that each one requires around a 1,000 (acres/miles - I can't recall) as a range. He didn't mention all the reasons for his beliefs but he did mention that most legit trackways are solo.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Fair enough CM but form a personal perspective i've never come across that much, or any memorable ones off the top of my head anyway.

I've come across loads that i believe are exaggerated, you can either find huge exaggerations for what people saw in the out takes of the Harry and the Hendersons movie with many people describing different things, some exaggerated, but no complete mis id's.

If you get 5 mins over the weekend (or whenever), i'd appreciate you digging up a youtube video or two or bears being id'd as Sasquatches if you could, i'd be interested to see that. 

OK, I have excellent image interpretations skills, it is what I used to do for a living. I see a bear here.

https://youtu.be/JypOkXC7AO0

I have not doubt others will disagree so not looking for verification, I can see a snout, all fours, briefly, looks over its shoulder at the humans as it changes directions and runs off on all fours (poor quality video BTW). The recent FLIR image discussed on here this week I can clearly see a bears head, nose, most people that broke it down did not get it right. It was looking to the left in full profile. 

I understand why others are not seeing that but I don't have a lot of interest in debunking. You get to many personal attacks.

In Yellowstone you had the cross country skiers, and the list goes on. I won't even get into the ones where every one is looking at shadow patterns in trees, too juvenile to even dignify with a response. 

Far,

That's another place where meldrum seems to be thinking that sasquatches are quite different than you are thinking. He believes that the evidence indicates that they live solitary lives and that each one requires around a 1,000 (acres/miles - I can't recall) as a range. He didn't mention all the reasons for his beliefs but he did mention that most legit trackways are solo.

I think Meldrum is one of the few real scientists, with an actual relevant background, experienced in Bigfooting, and is a very smart guy not overly prone to fantasy or deception that understands how science applies to the subject at hand. I would say the gold standard in what you would want contributing to the field. If one is ever found he will be found to be largely on the money.

Is he perfect, no one is. He does "enjoy" the media attention but you can also attribute that to good business sense and a desire to advance the public understanding of the subject.